Get out of your Sprint contract FREE! Ends 1/31/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone who wants it, thought I'd pass this on. This could also be used to probably get free stuff (they'll offer to give you stuff to keep you with them). But mainly, this is for folks that want out of contract.

You'll have 30 days from 1/1/10 (Or from the time your bill shows these new items) to terminate.

They're changing their terms of service on 1/1/10. You can say you don't agree to the new terms, and cancel as well. I'd try and exhaust this route first (find the part in the contract that states if it changes- it's grounds for termination). This is going to be the easiest route to terminate, but if you get roadblocked by different reps, try the regulatory service fee route:

Else, the rest of this deals with terminating it based on the regulatory fee, which is also increasing 1/1/10 ($0.40 increase, but an increase nontheless, read on).
1. You need to realize this regulatory fee is a fee that the government charges to Sprint. Not you, to Sprint. The thing is, Sprint opts to pass this charge along to the customer. If they didn't do that, this wouldn't work, but since they do, it is a charge Sprint assesses. You need to show the rep in the contract. It's clearly spelled out that they assess this charge to you the customer. This is in the Surcharges section:
Surcharges aren't taxes or government mandated charges; they're charges we choose to collect from you. Surcharges are subject to change, sometimes on a monthly or quarterly basis. Examples of Surcharges include, but are not limited to: Universal Service Fund,
2. You need to establish that your costs have gone up. This is easy enough, Just look at the fee from the Dec 2009 bill and then the new Jan 2010 bill- easy to see.
3. You then need to point them to the place in the contract that states anything that has a "materially adverse affect" can be early termination grounds. This increase in fees has had a materially adverse affect. "When you don't have to pay ETF" section of the contract:
You aren't responsible for paying an Early Termination Fee when terminating Services: (a) provided on a month-to-month basis; (b) consistent with our published trial period return policy; or (c) in response to a materially adverse change we make to the Agreement as described directly below.
At this point they might also point to this portion of the contract:
The following, without limitation, will generally not be considered changes to the Agreement as contemplated in this provision and will not result in the waiver of applicable Early Termination Fees: (a) changes to our Policies; (b) changes to rates or charges that are not a core part of the rate plan package for which you contracted – for example, incidental, occasional or casual use charges and other options that do not require a Term Commitment; (b) changes to Taxes & Government Fees; or (c) changes to Surcharges, including assessing new Surcharges.
That's going to be the tricky part, but IF they bring this up (Most of them haven't read it, just like you haven't read it, either, so don't bring this up if they don't). You just need to say you're happy to pay any taxes or government fees you owe by Federal Tax Code Law, however this fee is something SPRINT owes the government, not you. And Sprint has opted to charge you for this- which makes it part of their regular service charges (point them back to that section of the contract again- where they state they assess this to the customer), and since Sprint is charging you for it- it's materially adverse.
4. Probably the toughest part- obviously the rep will question that forty cents is materially adverse. At this point you just need to do some salesmanship. Tell them you weren't aware they had copies of your financial records, they have no idea what your financial status is, etc, etc, etc... Sell the point that you can't pay this additional fee.

After that, you're out of the contract.

Last edited:
And if it matters, that "materially adverse" term comes from teh Uniform Commercial Code, section 2-207.
If you want to cite it, make sure it's been adopted in your state (I think they all have, New York, California for sure).

I like my unlimited data + text + 450min talk for $50 plan though.

Well just the language in their contract will do...
Sprint can't charge this fee unless they spell it out on their contract (which they have to do in order to pass it on).

One of these days these carriers will stop passing all the extra fees onto their customers, but until that day comes- free ETFs for everyone!

Yea, I used to have SERO myself. Until I moved onto a company plan and pay $0/month :D

Unlimited data...but limited to 5gb per month.

:D

Gotta love it.

They promise one thing but give you another.

/me waits for someone that has enough money and time to spend to take a TelCo to court over this. It's literally false representation of your product.

sprint knows better then to change us grandpa'd $30 sero users. well ok honestly im shocked we all havent been booted off that plan yet- im not even under contract anymore. $30 every 4 weeks? sure sprint! here you go :D

Great, now find me something in AT&T's contract so i can switch back to Verizon with my iPhone

sprint knows better then to change us grandpa'd $30 sero users. well ok honestly im shocked we all havent been booted off that plan yet- im not even under contract anymore. $30 every 4 weeks? sure sprint! here you go :D

They've been talking of dropping it, but they keep renewing it for whatever reason.

I think, and this is just speculation, they have a crap ton of folks under SERO. They'd piss them off if they booted them, and know good and well that they'd all be ditiching for an iPhone or something, so they'd rather take you on CHEAP versus lose you all together.

Great, now find me something in AT&T's contract so i can switch back to Verizon with my iPhone

This would probably work on ATT as well... Read their contract though for the points mentioned, see what's in there.

But obviously a GSM phone won't work on a CDMA network, so you're SOL keeping the iPhone.

But the government is raising this fee for everyone, so you should be able to jump ship on ATT as well (again- depends what's in their contract, I haven't looked at ATT's).

Might give this a go. Data network is great, generally, but beyond that I've been pretty disappointed in the coverage as well as the number of dropped calls.

somone needs to find this in the verizon contract as well, or should i stay with verizon hummmm

somone needs to find this in the verizon contract as well, or should i stay with verizon hummmm

I would stay with Verizon since they are consistently rated as the best carrier. AT&T & Sprint are constantly in a battle for the worst rated carrier.

I think, and this is just speculation, they have a crap ton of folks under SERO. They'd piss them off if they booted them, and know good and well that they'd all be ditiching for an iPhone or something, so they'd rather take you on CHEAP versus lose you all together.

i completely agree. if they have even just 10% of their user base still on sero, that is a huge chunk that would very likely be gone if they were the ones to end the contract. its much healthier for them to pump out new phones tied to new plans as incentive to get the customer to drop their sero plan.

but the point was i was saying i really doubt they are losing money on the sero customers. the profits are likely negligible, but if we were actually costing them more money then we pay them i highly doubt they would continue as they have been.

I would stay with Verizon since they are consistently rated as the best carrier. AT&T & Sprint are constantly in a battle for the worst rated carrier.

Nope. The honor of worst carrier is exclusively held by ATT these days. And while Verizon has the "best" network, its mighty expensive for what you are getting.

Sprint's Everything Unlimitted for $99 a month vs AT&T/Verizon $149 a month...hmm, I think I would stick with Sprint if I had it.

I currently have Alltel ($99.99/month) that is going to become AT&T..contract is up in Jan... heading to Sprint. I can't afford to fork out $150 a month for my Smartphone.

^^^ Sprint FTW.

...though my plan is 63 after taxes.... 450 minutes - that I don't use - unlimited txts, access to navigation, sprint radio/tv that I always forget about and enough data for me to tether my winmo phone to my laptop and ssh>rdp to my home network.

My 3g connection is faster than the crap DSL connection I have :(

if they booted us off i could always switch to the new sero plan and get a palm pre or something

Nope. The honor of worst carrier is exclusively held by ATT these days. And while Verizon has the "best" network, its mighty expensive for what you are getting.

Yep.

Sprint has the best data network of anyone IMO. ATT used to have the best voice network until Verizon bought Altel.

because their service sucks. it costs them more to try and drop you and gain new customers than it does for them to keep you while you pay that $30 a month.

because their service sucks. it costs them more to try and drop you and gain new customers than it does for them to keep you while you pay that $30 a month.

:/ then verizons service must suck too because i roam for free on those, but nevermind that- sprint has great coverage and the data network is just awesome. 4g is going to dominate, i cant wait for that to go nationwide as standard sprint speed.

4g is a hoax lol. Sprint has been garbage for 8 years now.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

i like my verizon but me and friend were comparing price plans .......he has t-mobile and he pays alot less then if he switched to verizon. look at your land line phone bill if you have one they do the same shit..........all those taxes ,fees,charges are passed on to you.

Well just the language in their contract will do...
Sprint can't charge this fee unless they spell it out on their contract (which they have to do in order to pass it on).

One of these days these carriers will stop passing all the extra fees onto their customers, but until that day comes- free ETFs for everyone!

Yea, I used to have SERO myself. Until I moved onto a company plan and pay $0/month :D

I'm on sero. I have a free company phone, but I do not use it for personal calls. Your SMS, voicemail and phone records and emails are all the property of the company. I'll part with my $30.00/month to keep my own number and ensure that the company can't stick their nose into anything outside of work.

That's definitely true. I suspect, however, what kills Sprint is their terrible Customer Service. In fairness, most of the time they're fine, but when they mess up, it's incredibly bad. I recall one time where I wanted to swap my phone, but couldn't get the locals to do it. I called Customer Service and got transferred several times, but an hour or 2, the call dropped. Called back and got transferred 5 or 6 times (including to a Nextel rep that had no idea why I was transferred to her) and after another 2 hours I finally got someone who could help me.

Nevertheless, my plan is cheap enough that I'm willing to stick with them. If I was a company, however, I'd probably go to Verizon.

Anyone know if the same changes are happening to AT&T?
Yep, I just don't know what the language in their contract looks like.
Do they outline it's a charge they assess (I'm sure they do), and then do they have the same "materially adverse" clause?

4g is a hoax lol. Sprint has been garbage for 8 years now.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
:rolleyes:
4G is better than anything anyone else is attempting to put out.

I'm on sero. I have a free company phone, but I do not use it for personal calls. Your SMS, voicemail and phone records and emails are all the property of the company. I'll part with my $30.00/month to keep my own number and ensure that the company can't stick their nose into anything outside of work.
Being I control said records, it's NBD to me.

is verizon doing this too?

does this mean we can end the contract and then sign up for service again after a month or so?

is verizon doing this too?

does this mean we can end the contract and then sign up for service again after a month or so?

Read above- if their contract has the same stuff in it- sure.

And theoretically, yes... However there's no promises when you sign up again they see you cancelled and now trying to get back in. I'm sure they've got checks for that kind of stuff.

My Sprint Sero plan is like $43.17 a month with insurance and after taxes. I only have my phone for internet as I probably use 23 minutes on it a month. I use my work cell to make calls.

I only have 6, maybe 7 months left on my contract, so I'll stick with them. If they charge me a few bucks more I won't even mind because it's still much cheaper than any other carrier.

As a Sprint customer for about 8 years now, I can say they blow donkey balls :D

This is perfect, as I just lost my phone, and find it hard to bite the bullet on a new phone tied to Sprint

I wish this worked for verizon!

There was a Youtube post about doing this very thing, on Verizon, a year or 2 ago. Virtually anyone on any provider can back out if they change the USF and...and it often changes more frequently than once a year.

HAS AT&T done this yet? I need out of my contract real bad. Worst service ever. I get average service in my own home and almost no service at my work. Im in NYC too :(

Got something to back that up? Everything I've read says that data is capped at 5gb a month for all the major players.

Caps vary by carrier and plan. Based on a sampling at work, I'd say that very few people on unlimited plans use 5GB of data/month, but I should note that I only sample those that spend most of their time off network. We currently don't limit on network data usage if you have an unlimited data plan.

There was a Youtube post about doing this very thing, on Verizon, a year or 2 ago. Virtually anyone on any provider can back out if they change the USF and...and it often changes more frequently than once a year.

I had a friend who tried to back out of his verizon contract using this. The verizon rep flatly told him they wouldn't cancel his contract and he'd have to sue.

He was pissed at the time (he wanted an iphone) but he has a droid so it all worked out in the end for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back