Get me past 4ghz

SulSeeker

Gawd
Here's what I got now...

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x44/SulSeeker/Stable.png

Mobo is MSI X58 Platinum
VCore is 1.360 @ 185x20 and 1.408 185x21
Cooler is a Cogage True Spirit
Ram is OCZ DDR3-1333 (underclocked at the moment)
Antec 650 Power supply and 4850 CF

No sure what else you need to know... but that's about it.

I don't know how high I should go with the VCore with a C0 stepping, but I think I have plenty... problem is, 190x20 doesn't even post... I'll try to get Screens of the BIOS settings up soon. maybe someone can see something not configured properly.

C0 isn't usually a good OCer. So 4ghz is unlikely. At 185x21 you are almost at 3.9ghz. Not too bad actually. Bump the QPI voltage a bit and see what that does for you, but I wouldn't go much higher on vcore than 1.4 on air.

I say go to 1.45v and see where that takes you. The cooler is sufficient.

Well... nothing I could do would get 200x20 stable... and pushing it to 1.45 VCore is scaring the crap out of me (tho, if I burn it out, perfect excuse to get a 930... /ponders the ramifications with the wife.)

So I dropped it to 190x21 (tho it drops to 20 if any core goes above 80c) and we get this...

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x44/SulSeeker/Untitled-3.jpg

And I'm close... Still, I don't like the VCore as high as is is... so I'm going to try dropping it under 1.4v.

Really, the chances of your hurting your 920 are really low.

Everyone said I shouldn't leave my Q6600 @ 1.6v 24/7 and it's still working hard.

You should do 1.5v, get it to 4.1Ghz just for kicks. Then get it down to 1.45v and stay at 4.0Ghz.

That's what you wanted, right?

Your temps are very high especially since you are running the standard test on IBT. Try max or very high and I would not very surprised if the chip started to throttle. Those C0's to require a lot of voltage though so I don't know man... seems to me the heat is gonna be the preventing issue here.

There are some really good aftermarket air cooling solutions out there, but when you want a solid 24/7 overclock that really pushes the hardware you have, it's time to step up to water.

Try leaving the vcore set to auto and see if windows will start at 4ghz.

If it does check the vcore using cpuz and then check stability. Also you can try out vdroop, or line load calibration. Whatever your mobo calls it.

Still working on it...

I got 3990MHz (190x21) at 1.424 VCore... I'm sure I can massage it a little faster, so tomorrow I'm taking everything apart and making sure all surfaces are flat and have good contact. Someone told me to make sure the heatpipes on the Mobo are seated well, I just haven't had time yet to do that.

Soon, very soon!!! :D

Back