Get away with not mounting pump?

So after a couple weeks of waiting for parts and time, my rig is built and running on air.

I wanted to ensure everything worked before I gave WC a shot, and now I'm ready.

To make a long story short, I'm wondering if I can get by without mounting my pump. Based on how the DD Torture rack is setup, the only logical place to put it where its oriented the correct way is inside, and there are no mounting points on the floor of the case.

I've tried to do some research about mounting it sideways or upside-down, but nothing was helpful/conclusive regarding this question.

Making/buying a bracket is also pretty much out of the question because I'm lazy/impatient/cheap.

Thoughts? Anybody have experience WCing a Torture Rack?

Well, first I can tell you that mounting ddc upside down is NOT something you want to do, the manufacturer insists against it, sideways is fine. If you have a d5 i would imagine the same to be true. Didn't the pump come with a foam pad with adhesive on both sides? In my first water cooled build I just stuck my d5 to the bottom of my case with the pad, no modding to get screw holes in place. I wouldn't just leave it sitting unsupported though, will probably vibrate and tap against the case and drive you crazy. I am unfamiliar with that case however.

Didn't the pump come with a foam pad with adhesive on both sides? In my first water cooled build I just stuck my d5 to the bottom of my case with the pad, no modding to get screw holes in place. I wouldn't just leave it sitting unsupported though, will probably vibrate and tap against the case and drive you crazy. I am unfamiliar with that case however.

That's what I did with my pump. I just stuck the pad on the bottom and put on the bottom of my case. Hasn't come loose or rattled around. I've brought my computer from place to place too.

Without anything holding it down it's going to probably rattle around more than you want it. ;)

Yes by all means let it slide around and scratch up that plexi. The vibration will not hurt anything and it will work fine. Just toss it in there and leave it however which way it lands.

Velcro.

lol. I forgot about the foam pad. Also, velcro is a very good idea.

I honestly just wasn't sure how much vibration there would be, and if the tubing would shift the pump out of where I place it.

I've pretty much settled on the design of the loop, so velcro'ing the pump down should work perfectly.

Yes by all means let it slide around and scratch up that plexi. The vibration will not hurt anything and it will work fine. Just toss it in there and leave it however which way it lands.

Velcro.

if you wan real fasteners may i suggest getting out a drill and making your holes like i have....

Here is how I ended up mounting mine... I did use a (UN)Designs 3G bracket for each and a little bit o padding between the bracket and the acrylic.

tr_TKcpufans.jpg

Good to know I can mount it on its side if I need to.

Side note: I like the way you mounted the rad. The design features of the Torture Rack make it a little challenging to mount a rad around the blocked airflow caused by the PSU location, but your method is clever workaround.

Back