“Geostorm” Fails to Excite Weather Conspiracy Theorists

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

The National Weather Service prepared to deal with an influx of conspiracy theories about weather modification as a result of the new movie Geostorm, in which a network of satellites designed to control the global climate starts to attack Earth, but no one has bothered to ask about government weather control. Ideally, the film would have questioned the dangers of technological climate interventions (geoengineering) and edify the public on a nuanced scientific topic.

Arguably, geoengineering is the new face of weather control, but it's a technology in its infancy. Geoengineering methods seek to fight climate change by launching reflective aerosol particles into the atmosphere, sending heat back to space. Millions of dollars have been raised to conduct geoengineering experiments, but that's about the extent of its influence. NOAA actually did research hurricane modification from 1962 to 1983 in what the agency called "Project STORMFURY." Researchers would release dry ice into the eye of a storm in hopes of disrupting the storm and weakening it.

2. Bandalo

Bandalo 2[H]4U

If GI Joe has taught us anything, it's that you can't control the weather without all three pieces of the Weather Dominator: the Laser Core, the Hydro-Master and the Ion Correlator.

3. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

What?

Liver and scojer like this.
  4. Seventyfive

Seventyfive [H]ard|Gawd

Well sea levels are rising by 0.05 inches a year so that tidal wave is pretty realistic if we just go 20,000 years out.

edit: A poster below linked to NASA which points out that it's evidently rising at 0.13 per year so in 7,692 years out.

All of a sudden these hipster pants suddenly make sense... they're waiting for the flood

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    defaultluser and Nukester like this.
  5. Nukester

Nukester [H]ard|Gawd

The Earth will go through another Ice Age, Another Warming period, rinse and repeat. If we can't learn to survive what the Earth throws at us with it's ROSBY waves of climate change, we don't deserve to inhibit it. Personally, bring on the cold. "Prepare for the Ice Age".

cyclone3d likes this.
  6. gunbust3r

gunbust3r Gawd

Sounds like the National Weather Service, Counter Memes Division is going to get a budget cut...

GoldenTiger likes this.
  7. mullet

mullet [H]ard|Gawd

I have been on the coast for 50 years and the water level has been the same. Give me a break.

8. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

This isn't completely correct. Dry ice was used in Project Cirrus. They upgraded to silver iodide in Stormfury.

9. PeaKr

PeaKr Gawd

Actually according to NASA's own data its been going down for 2 years.

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/sea-level/

MacLeod likes this.
  10. Madoc

Madoc Gawd

Trying to control something we don't really understand... talk about putting the human element into a movie.

mynamehere likes this.
  11. gunbust3r

gunbust3r Gawd

Prepared? Like they spent days agonizing over how to reply and allocated budget money/staff so they could say. "we don't do that" There we go, was that hard? Probably cost them 50 thousand dollars per word and another 100 employee hours on top of that...

Conspiracy guy: hops on Facebook "NWS do you operate a grand conspiracy to control the weather?"

National Weather Service: "We totally do not"

Conspiracy guy: "Oh thats good enough for me, case closed"

12. PhaseII

PhaseII Limp Gawd

*showed his age*

*also showed his age*

13. travisty

travisty Gawd

LOL so much stupid in this post.

Notice throughout the graph there are ups and downs. Ocean level is always changing. Sea Level Rise is the change over time -- d(t). Place a red line from the beginning of that graph following the mean of the measurements and it is increasing.

Just to help you out:
    [​IMG]

14. Ultima99

Yeah because I'm sure you've measured it in a scientifically accurate method every year and accounted for beach accretion and erosion.

Give me a break, you sound like my dad who wants to blame any evidence of rising global temperatures on the sun "burning hotter than when he was a kid" even though its decreasing.

From the article linked below:
    The current solar cycle began on in January 2008, with minimal activity until early 2010. The sun is now on track to have the lowest recorded sunspot activity since accurate records began in 1750. The long-term decline in solar activity set in after the last grand solar maximum peaked in 1956.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2015-08-solar-decliningwhat.html#jCp

And my dad was born in 55 so yeah, he was born right before the peak, so he actually grew up during the peak and the decline from it, ie. when it was still high. Just shows how willful ignorance can make a normally smart person into an idiot because they want to cling to their ideology.

TLDR: This shit is complicated and your baseless assumptions are worthless. Furthermore spouting them here makes you look bad.

15. Ultima99

No kidding. Just another sheep who grasps for any bit of data that backs up what he already thinks is true instead of trying to find the real truth.

16. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

Listen: Shit don't look right with the weather. You really have to be brain dead not to see it.
    I think we broke the planet.

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  17. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Pfft, Humans, so self important. "The Planet will shake us off like a surface nuisance".

On topic, Movie looks terrible.

Uvaman2, mullet and defaultluser like this.
  18. Kdawg

Kdawg Gawd

geostorm fails to excite anyone.

i downloaded the bootleg, and it's fuggin awful. Only a small step above made-4-tv and sharknado

19. travisty

travisty Gawd

Oh yes because George Carlin is a scientist... :rolleyes:

Jim Kim and Chunder like this.
  20. Dan UCF

Dan UCF [H]ard|Gawd

People would have to see Geostorm to form conspiracy theories based on Geostorm. The fact that even conspiracy theory prone people are not seeing the movie really tells you what a piece of hot garbage it is.

21. cyclone3d

cyclone3d [H]ardForum Junkie

The Sharknado movies are hilarious. I still need to watch the newest one.

22. htpc_user

htpc_user [H]ard|Gawd

I don't have to go see Geostorm. I already know the weather can be controlled by HAARP.

Madoc and d3athf1sh like this.
  23. d3athf1sh

d3athf1sh Limp Gawd

at this point, prob the only thing that's gonna fix it, is to clear the CMOS!? after that she'll run smooth again... damn good for nothin cmos'!!!

Cro Magnon Or'nary Sons 'a bitches!

Uvaman2 likes this.
  24. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

No just uses what scientists lack. Common sense. There is nothing that humans could do to "Break the planet". Absolutely nothing. Its been through unimaginably worse things than we could ever do to it. The only thing that humans could do to the planet, is make it uninhabitable for our own species, which were doing a pretty good job of that, I'd say we have 1, maybe 200 years left if we stay on course. But hey who knows, that big volcano in yellowstone could be just around the corner or an asteroid.

Uvaman2 and LightsOut41 like this.
  25. STrAYeR

STrAYeR Limp Gawd

Just get lied to about it anyway. It's probably highly classified tech. Anyone ever heard the excuse: National Security?

26. otherweeb

otherweeb Gawd

But are you prepared for the Earth's coronal consumption by the sun and the heat death of the universe?

/me doubts

GoldenTiger likes this.
  27. d3athf1sh

d3athf1sh Limp Gawd

more of a scientist than most millennials!

mullet and Krenum like this.
  28. d3athf1sh

d3athf1sh Limp Gawd

you're right, eventually our sun will go super nova...

29. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

He said: you can't control the weather without all three pieces of the Weather Dominator: the Laser Core, the Hydro-Master and the Ion Correlator.

Not that hard to understand. ;)

GoldenTiger and {NG}Fidel like this.
  30. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

Well, that sucks. I was hoping for a 2012 style movie. Lots of cool visuals and shit. I'm already sure that the story sucks and it's not going to win any awards for it's depth.

I have no recollection of that, sir.

31. mullet

mullet [H]ard|Gawd

I guess you don't know what a sea wall is. YES it has been at the same spot on the SEAWALL for my whole life. If I was your dad I would cut your internet off and make you cut the grass.

32. Madoc

Madoc Gawd

The Sun lacks the mass to go supernova. It'll only do the much less spectacular (non-super) nova -- meaning it'll get all big and fat, swallowing the inner planets, then shrink down into a boring ole brown dwarf star.

Parja likes this.
  33. xorbe

xorbe [H]ardness Supreme

Gravity! It is not the ocean that is rising, but the land that is sinking ... ;-)

34. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

You're mean. Do it yourself. I HATE YOU! YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD!

Trimlock, GoldenTiger, mullet and 2 others like this.
  35. Sikkyu

Sikkyu I Question Reality

the entire premise for this movie is retarded, doubly so for the conspiracy angle.

36. Nukester

Nukester [H]ard|Gawd

Who said anything about being ready or prepared? I would rather freeze to death than Fry. I hate heat.

37. Probleminfected

Probleminfected [H]ard|Gawd

My wife produced this movie...

38. otherweeb

otherweeb Gawd

Does it help that after the Sun bakes off the Earths oceans itsa DRY heat?

39. ccwilder3

ccwilder3 n00b

Please don't diss Sharknado. That is one of the greatest movies of all time.

40. Parja

Parja [H]ardForum Junkie