Gentlemen, what am I doing wrong?

mikey_rules

Limp Gawd
My specs are in my sig. I cannot get my CPU to overclock past 3.8 GHz. My VCore is at 1.25 volts and I've increased the voltage of my chipset. I know my motherboard isn't a great overclocking one, but I've seen a few posts online of speeds of at least 40GB with this board. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

You should be able to reach 40mph, check your tyre temps.

did you updated the BIOS? as far i know most B85 Chipset need to be updated to allow Overclocking.. if you have a updated BIOS then, what are the steps you are doing?.

CPU temps never hit above 50 idle, never above 70 load. But about 5 mins into Prime95, I get BSOD anything above 3.8GHz. My OC process is setting VCore to 1.25 and then starting my multiplier to 4.2GHz. I decrease multiplier until I eventually get stable loads, which is at 3.8GHz. Yes, I do it all through BIOS. I have the latest BIOS installed. It doesn't reach Windows 7 at 4.2 GHz, by the way.

Are you sure your cooler is mounted properly?

Did you use thermal paste?

Have you checked the spread of the thermal paste?

50c idle is way too high unless you are living in a sauna.

Do the heatsink fins get warm or just the base? It could be that one or more of the heatpipes are faulty.

Pardon me, the temps I referred to are for my GPU. I bought it used and it's always run pretty warm, even after a thorough cleaning and new paste.

CPU temps are ~32 idle across all cores, and ~45 load. These temps are at 3.8 GHz. Any other suggestions?

Might just have a bad chip. Any other board you can try in? Temps don't look bad to be causing the problem. I had a pretty bad 4690k that didn't do much above 4.2Ghz in a good board without a lot of voltage and on a H60.

Load temps are really low, up the voltage a bit.

Increased VCore to 1.26 and increments up to 1.39. No changes in performance, though the CPU fan was sure humming. Any other voltages that I could mess around with, like V Ring, etc?

Id say its your board. Some people have success overclocking with it and others cannot get an overclock worth a shit out of it.

Not sure whyd you buy a $200 CPU and try and go one of the cheapest routes possible if you wanted to overclock.

You should be able to reach 40mph, check your tyre temps.

lol.

Rest assured, you're doing something wrong. I highly doubt there is a single haswell CPU in the entire world that can truly only do 3.8ghz.

If you're really new try using the mobo's auto OC tool and then when it's finished just ratchet vcore down manually.

To be completely honest, my research on a decent mobo was pitiful. It was on sale 40% off, looked up a few reviews and so I bought it. Should have forked it over for a Z87 obviously.

I'll give auto OC a shot and play with it. Assuming you mean via BIOS.

After a day of more patience, I was able to get a solid OC at 4.4 GHz; Vcore @ 1.24. Prime95 ran for 12 hours, ran cinebench and aida64. I looked around for specifics with Haswell 4670K and found that I needed to adjust my Vring some more, as well as other voltages. Worked like a charm. Stresses at ~68°, largest spike at 71°. Thank you for all the comments and suggestions. Looks like my cheapo B85 is paying off again.

Once you hit 88, all bets are off- who knows where you'll be.

Pardon me, the temps I referred to are for my GPU. I bought it used and it's always run pretty warm, even after a thorough cleaning and new paste.

CPU temps are ~32 idle across all cores, and ~45 load. These temps are at 3.8 GHz. Any other suggestions?

Probably just a limitation of the board. I have almost the same board in my HTPC with a G3258. It overclocks a very decent amount stable, but no where near as well as the nicer enthusiast chipsets.

Plus honestly with that CPU, you aren't missing much performance by not being able to overclock it any higher.

Delidding wouldn't hurt, unless I killed it ;) I'll overclock, but that's as far as my risk goes. Also, I've been stable at 4.5 GHz for about 5 hours now, 1.29 volts, ~68° load, ~76° spike. Couldn't find that sweet spot earlier yesterday.

Back