Generic "new computer, input wanted" thread #1939378492

cApNhOwDy

Weaksauce
Upgrading from a single-core socket 939 system with an X1800XT videocard, it just doesnt game with the big boys anymore. Plus, it was built back in the day when I wanted a flashy computer. And it was flashy alright, with enough green LED's to light up my room, and loud enough to keep me up at night.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=9543994

With this new build, I had a couple of things in mind that I wanted to do differently. I wanted to keep the internals visible for show-and-tell, but maintained a level of professionalism. I specifically chose parts to fit an all-black color scheme, I think it'll look dead-sexy. It was actually really hard for me to find a motherboard that didnt look like a clown. I have to wonder who comes up with some of these color schemes sometimes. No more LED lights, no more noisy components. I'm pushing for minimal noise, minimal dust, and minimal maintenance. This is also a $1000 budget computer, which I've succeeded in doing. I thought that I might as well go quad core and SSD (w/ Trim support) since a few of the games I have now are optimized for quad core and I assume the games that arent optimized for quad core will still run fine. Quad core's the future, right? The games I play the most are Call of Duty 4/WaW and PlanetSide, a game which I seriously doubt most of you have heard of (this build is in anticipation for PlanetSide 2). Other games I hope to play are Aion, Max Payne 3, Mafia II, and Modern Warfare 2. I usually turn eye candy off anyways so I dont see how I would run into poor framerates with this build, especially since most of the games I play are older. To be honest, the games listed above are my grand hurrah, I dont think I'm going to be doing much gaming a few years down the line. SSD is self explanatory, upgrading to a Raptor drive was the best upgrade I ever made and a fast non-mechanical drive would be a dream. I only opted for 2GB RAM now because it's sufficient for the gaming that I do in XP, and when I eventually upgrade to 7 then I can just buy another stick then and by that time it'll probably be cheaper. I see people with 12GB of RAM and I just dont see when I'd ever possibly use that much. While I'm still using XP 32bit, I might as well use 2GB since XP cant recognize more than 4GB total, that's my thought process.

I went with AMD/ATI because they were the optimal price/performance for my needs. AMD plans on sticking with AM3 for a while, right? I'd hate to have another Socket 939 incident. Intel has two different socket types for their Core i7 and i5 lineups and not factoring into account that this confuses me as to what socket I should invest in, the CPU's are still much more expensive. I'm not a heavy computer user, I recognize the advantages of an Intel CPU but I'm sure that the cheaper option will be just fine for me.

I'd like to hear others opinions on this build. If you recognize a compatibility error between hardware, please point it out. I'm open to suggestions.

what size monitor do you plan to use.. it will give you a rough idea of how well the 5770 will perform..

also the cpu heatsink is way overpriced.. the xig s1283 is a far better choice.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003 .. note that the heatsink you chose and this one will exhaust the air toward the top of the case.. so if you want it to exhaust to the back of the case then you need to find a heatsink that does not use the standard AM2/AM3 mounting bracket or find a bracket that will allow you to mount the heatsink vertically instead of horizontal.. but other then that the build looks fine.. also if you decide to go with the xig.. the money you save would be enough to cover buying 2x2GB of ram instead of a single 2GB stick.. even though you will lose 500mb running XP at least you are set for windows 7..

Thanks for the CPU cooler suggestion, looks pretty good and will save me a few bones.

Gaming on a 24" monitor

Doesnt the 4GB limit of RAM limit for XP also include the RAM on the videocard?

While the Seasonic PSU is of excellent quality, the Antec Truepower New 750 Blue can be had for $25 cheaper or $5 cheaper if you factor in the rebate. The Truepower New 750 Blue has 62A on the +12V rail compared to the Seasonic's 56A on the +12V rail. And finally, the Truepower New 750 is Seasonic made as well.

So for $5 to $25 less, you're getting a bigger modular PSU made with the same quality. It's a no brainer there.

IMO, it's a bit of waste to buy DDR2 considering the current prices for it and DDR3 RAM. Roughly 4 to 5 months ago, you could get 4GB of DDR2 RAM for $39. Hence why I personally don't think paying $38 for a 2GB set of DDR2 RAM now is a good idea. Just seems so wasteful.

Personally, I'd swap out the mobo for this:
$80 - Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 Motherboard

And then get a cheap DDR3 RAM set of 2GB or 4GB of RAM. Then you'll be set.

As for the 4GB of RAM limit, it's a bit of complicated answer. In some ways yes, in some ways no.

The limit on RAM is only there due to your OS. Move to Vista or 7 x64, and the limits on your mobo.

12GB or RAM may be overkill for a desktop today, 5yrs from now, it will be the norm, just like your 2GB now was overkill 5yrs ago.

Also, you may as well buy an OEM copy of Win7 x64 when you order your new stuff. Do it before the 20th and you get a decent discount (assuming you're ordering from the Egg.)

I agree with sirmonkey, ditch the vigor. The HDT-S1283 is nice, but the CM Hyper 212+ would let you mount it with the fan blowing towards the rear of the case, so would be a better choice, IMO.

The Intel X25-M is overpriced, IMO. I'd suggest two cheaper and smaller Indilinx based drives in RAID0, but those are all overpriced, too, except for the SuperTalent UltraDrive ME 64GB drives that are out of stock, lol. BTW, none of the drives have TRIM just yet. What will you use as your storage drive?

If you want future compatibility, you'll want a DDR3 motherboard since DDR2 prices are on the rise, and DDR3 will be cheaper in the future (until DDR4 has been out for a while).

I gotta say, for $1000, I think you could do better. If no other builds are posted later, I'll see what I can do. I also agree with Danny's changes.

And 5yrs ago, my 2GB DDR-400 was NOT overkill. :p

While the Seasonic PSU is of excellent quality, the Antec Truepower New 750 Blue can be had for $25 cheaper or $5 cheaper if you factor in the rebate. The Truepower New 750 Blue has 62A on the +12V rail compared to the Seasonic's 56A on the +12V rail. And finally, the Truepower New 750 is Seasonic made as well.

So for $5 to $25 less, you're getting a bigger modular PSU made with the same quality. It's a no brainer there.

IMO, it's a bit of waste to buy DDR2 considering the current prices for it and DDR3 RAM. Roughly 4 to 5 months ago, you could get 4GB of DDR2 RAM for $39. Hence why I personally don't think paying $38 for a 2GB set of DDR2 RAM now is a good idea. Just seems so wasteful.

Personally, I'd swap out the mobo for this:
$80 - Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 Motherboard

And then get a cheap DDR3 RAM set of 2GB or 4GB of RAM. Then you'll be set.

As for the 4GB of RAM limit, it's a bit of complicated answer. In some ways yes, in some ways no.

The Truepower New 750 Blue is cheaper, but it also has that blue LED that I'm not willing to open up a power supply to fix. Also, the non-LED version is the same price, only has one fan, and is semi-modular as opposed to completely modular. It's very similar to my option, so I wont rule it out.

I'd get DDR3, but my mobo doesnt support it. I dont think I'd personally notice a difference between DDR2 and DDR3 speed either. I did double check to see if getting a DDR3 mobo and DDR3 RAM would be a better deal. DDR3 RAM isn't that much more expensive, but moving up to a DDR3 mobo is $30 more expensive at the least.

I wouldn't use that mobo you suggested only because it doesnt fit my all-black color scheme. Otherwise it looks fine.

I dont plan on moving to 7 until all the compatibility irons are worked out with all of my favorite applications and games.

I agree with sirmonkey, ditch the vigor. The HDT-S1283 is nice, but the CM Hyper 212+ would let you mount it with the fan blowing towards the rear of the case, so would be a better choice, IMO.

The Intel X25-M is overpriced, IMO. I'd suggest two cheaper and smaller Indilinx based drives in RAID0, but those are all overpriced, too, except for the SuperTalent UltraDrive ME 64GB drives that are out of stock, lol. BTW, none of the drives have TRIM just yet. What will you use as your storage drive?

If you want future compatibility, you'll want a DDR3 motherboard since DDR2 prices are on the rise, and DDR3 will be cheaper in the future (until DDR4 has been out for a while).

I gotta say, for $1000, I think you could do better. If no other builds are posted later, I'll see what I can do. I also agree with Danny's changes.

And 5yrs ago, my 2GB DDR-400 was NOT overkill. :p

I'd rather not deal with making a RAID array. From what I can see even two of the cheapest Indilinx SSD's are more expensive and have less storage than the one Intel G2 SSD, which I hear will support TRIM. I have plenty of mechanical drives as storage.

Why are they raising prices on DDR2? To make a buck off of upgraders trying to extend the life of their systems?

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep 'em coming. As much as it may not seem like it, I really value your input.

I'd get DDR3, but my mobo doesnt support it. I dont think I'd personally notice a difference between DDR2 and DDR3 speed either. I did double check to see if getting a DDR3 mobo and DDR3 RAM would be a better deal. DDR3 RAM isn't that much more expensive, but moving up to a DDR3 mobo is $30 more expensive at the least.

I wouldn't use that mobo you suggested only because it doesnt fit my all-black color scheme. Otherwise it looks fine.
It's not $30 more expensive. It's only $20 more as I now recommend DDR3 version of the MSI mobo you chose which is mostly black:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130233
I dont plan on moving to 7 until all the compatibility irons are worked out with all of my favorite applications and games.
Which applications and games are you talking about?

Why are they raising prices on DDR2? To make a buck off of upgraders trying to extend the life of their systems?

No, it's simple supply and demand. Every RAM company is switching to DDR3 RAM production now that every major and current CPU and motherboard line is now DDR3 RAM only. So low supply. However, there are those, like you, who want DDR2 RAM for some odd reason or another. So high demenad. Low supply and high demand equals higher price. But DDR3 RAM prices have spiked a bit ever since the Core i5 CPUs were released. DDR3 RAM prices will continue to lower as time goes on whereas DDR2 RAM prices will increase even further due to the huge number of old DDR2 based setups out there.

with the phenom II 945 DDR3 is useless.. plain and simple.. the only added benefit is higher memory bandwidth which isnt even that big of a different and has almost no real world benefit.. so if you can find the DDR2 cheaper then the DDR3 then go with it since we all know DDR3 will be at DDR2 prices by next year so theres no sense in going to ddr3 now if it has no benefit..

the MSI 770G is the only board out of the 770 series thats worth buying in my opinion.. especially if overclocking is something you want to do with the 945..

also the 5770 would do perfectly fine at 1920x1200.. very good budget card with dx11 support..

and last but not least.. i agree with danny's PSU suggestion..

I second Gigabyte 770T, 240 HT on stock voltage is very possible with x4 945. I believe the HT limit for x4 945 should be 280-285 for the 95watt version with 1.45v - 1.5v.

side note - for the same reason I don't suggest getting a 775 CPU, I don't suggest getting AM2+ board. Socket is near end of life cycle as AMD road maps don't show any new DDR2 supported CPUs beyond 2010.

I'm just kinda wondering why you wouldn't build an i5 setup for the money you have to invest so here's what i came up with for your $1000 budget

$59.99 - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$159.99 - SAPPHIRE 100283L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
$124.99 - Thermaltake Toughpower XT W0229RU 750W ATX12V V2.3 80PLUS BRONZE ATI CrossFireX Certified AMD GAME READY FanDelayCool Modular ... - Retail
$80.99 - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 - Retail
$29.99 - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long ... - Retail
$224.99 - Corsair Extreme Series CMFSSD-64D1 2.5" 64GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Retail
$304.98 - COMBO
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail
+
MSI P55-CD53 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Total Shipped = $994.95

@ bigwooly - 750 watt psu would be wasted as the hardware you listed is no where needing that much power.

how much would it need i could lower the PSU and give him the HD he was looking for or a better case solution for his tastes

Given IT_Shiro's comments you could drop the power supply in my previous posed build to something like this
$79.99 - COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active ... - Retail

Then if you swap the hard drive for the original drive you were looking to get it would only put you about $10.00 over your 1k budget.

with the phenom II 945 DDR3 is useless.. plain and simple.. the only added benefit is higher memory bandwidth which isnt even that big of a different and has almost no real world benefit.. ...

I agree, but he wants better future upgrade ability. With the rising prices of DDR2 and the lowering of DDR3, the price difference of $20 should be negligible to someone with a $1000 budget; but of course, not to everyone.

... I went with AMD/ATI because they were the optimal price/performance for my needs. AMD plans on sticking with AM3 for a while, right? I'd hate to have another Socket 939 incident. ...

Still, for $1k, I think bigwooly's build offers more bang for buck.

... I'd rather not deal with making a RAID array. From what I can see even two of the cheapest Indilinx SSD's are more expensive and have less storage than the one Intel G2 SSD, which I hear will support TRIM. ...

You can typically find two indilinx drives for cheaper than a single G2 Intel X25-M. The Agility 30GB was $100AR a few days ago. Yes, less capacity and slower small random writes, but cheaper and performs good enough for the savings, IMO.

Both Intel G2 and Indilinx will support trim -- none do right now, nor does XP/Vista. Current SSD performance is maintained by a process similar to the TRIM standard on both Intel and Indilinx controlled drives (eg. Garbage Collection on indilinx).

Back