General direction advice on sandy bridge

Trepidati0n

[H]F Junkie
My wife has a nook color. Once the rooting for Froyo is "stable", I'll be doing that. This seems to keep her happy right now in terms of a truely mobile consumption device (besides her HTC desire). However, her laptop is getting very long in the tooth (not even a C2D) and this needs to get replaced soon because even in my view it is getting slow.

What I am looking for is a new laptop that is:

1. Sandy bridge based (we keep them for 3 years pls)
2. ~8 hours of run time
3. 15"
4. Fairly light (her current laptop is 6.5lbs)

The other crap (webcam, video playback, etc...blah blah blah) should be fairly benign considering the current state of laptop HW. My budget is "flexible" ($800-$1500), but I'm looking into something like a high end sony vaio. The lower I keep it, the more money is availble for other toys.

I'm not really sure who to aim towards for a laptop these days (1 year + dry spell in purchasing). We have always been a "dell house" for laptops/desktops since my family has had about 95%+ success rate (only one laptop out of about 40 machines has failed horrible after warranty) and I can force the 3 year warranty for a reasonable cost (which saves my sanity).

Any instincts? Also..HP = No. My wife has a HP laptop for work and wants to hit her IT department with it.

Have you looked at the Dell XPS 15z? Advertised run-time is over 8 hours, but don't know how well that holds up in real world usage.

It might be a little fancier (really thin) then you are looking for, but I don't know of too many light 15" notebooks with the 8 hours of run time you want.

that 8 hrs of run time is display on dimmest setting, wireless off or in power save mode, and internal graphics. On my studio 1558 I get 4.75 hrs off of a 9 cell with normal usage........the machine is a 1558 with i5 520m and radeon 4570 card paired to a toshiba 500GB 7200 rpm drive wireless N intel card and backlit keyboard (a must have imho)

HP has some well built machines, I just wipe their image and put a stanfard Win 7 load on them.. Gave one to my wife to replace her 4 year old gateway and she is thrilled with it. (it has a generic Windows 7 home load on it).

The quality of Dell Studio has made me decide to stick with their business line for all future purchases

Wife has thought about it a bit more. She is looking for a docking station this time around. So probably either a thinkpad or lattitude. Not quite sure...but for some reason the T520 looks like a stellar product. Am I wrong?

lattitudes are fairly robust machines, we use them here at work and they are very well built and the nice thing is a lot of them use the same docking port

Back