Geil 2X2GB DDR2-800 Kit report

b00gjuice

Weaksauce
I bought the Geil 2X2GB DDR2-800 Kit from newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144060

In my EVGA 680i SLI AR these are only stable at 667 MHZ with the 5-5-5-15 timings and 1.85V default 128-bit dual channel mode. They work great though and score 5.0 in vista 64-bit performance index for memory as opposed to 5.2 for 800MHZ.

At 800MHZ I've tried bumping the voltage from 1.9-2.2V and cannot get them to be stable. Fails memtest before 10% coverage, random BSOD, etc. I spent hours trying every which configuration/slots/voltage to 2.2V and they just are not stable at 800MHZ. They won't even boot up at default 1.8V unless I take one of the DIMMS out.

I'm getting an RMA A1 revision mainboard from EVGA but I doubt it will help these run at 800MHZ. IMO, [email protected] is better than possibly burning them up for 3.8% improvement.

Has anyone else tried these?

eVGA e-GeForce 8800GTX SLI
Intel QX6700 Quad Core Extreme
EVGA 680i SLI Mainboard
2X2GB Geil DDR2-800
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality
PSU: PC P&C 1K-SR
Case: CM Stacker 830
Dell 3007FPW 30" widescreen LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

wow u have alot of money to blow lol. how much that rig cost u 3-4grand?

eVGA e-GeForce 8800GTX SLI
Intel QX6700 Quad Core Extreme
EVGA 680i SLI Mainboard
2X2GB Geil DDR2-800
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality
PSU: PC P&C 1K-SR
Case: CM Stacker 830
Dell 3007FPW 30" widescreen LCD
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

wow u have alot of money to blow lol. how much that rig cost u 3-4grand?

LOL, yeah, about that.much i guess. It was all from savings though, I'm not "in debt up to my eyeballs" from it. :)

ill trade u my e6400 for ur Intel QX6700 Quad Core Extreme :D and a dollar cant beat that u get two things for one of yours. your actually kinda making out :p

I bought the Geil 2X2GB DDR2-800 Kit from newegg.com:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144060

In my EVGA 680i SLI AR these are only stable at 667 MHZ with the 5-5-5-15 timings and 1.85V default 128-bit dual channel mode. They work great though and score 5.0 in vista 64-bit performance index for memory as opposed to 5.2 for 800MHZ.

At 800MHZ I've tried bumping the voltage from 1.9-2.2V and cannot get them to be stable. Fails memtest before 10% coverage, random BSOD, etc. I spent hours trying every which configuration/slots/voltage to 2.2V and they just are not stable at 800MHZ. They won't even boot up at default 1.8V unless I take one of the DIMMS out.

I'm getting an RMA A1 revision mainboard from EVGA but I doubt it will help these run at 800MHZ. IMO, [email protected] is better than possibly burning them up for 3.8% improvement.

Has anyone else tried these?
maybe you should rma that ram and get some cool looking firestix

Having the same problem with mine on a P5N32-E SLI PLUS board. I am sending mine back and getting 4x1GB Corsair Dominators instead.

good luck ingonuts13. Keep us posted how those 4 sticks work for you.

Well, after much consideration, I still have not ordered any replacements. It seems that populating 4 slots is a no-no on this board. I wish there was some definitive answer already from ASUS about compatibility. I mean, it is not too much to think that many would try to run 4GB of ram for Vista.

I guess we need a BIOS update or something.

Only thing I could think of to do (and its more for personal edification than anything else)

If you board has settings for the memory sub timings (mine has some, AND shows me what they are set at from the SPD module, AND I noticed if I leave them on auto they tend to use the ones they learned from the SPD chip). for fun try this..

put all memory stuff on auto set the voltage to what the manuf specifies.

Download this, it tells you all the subtimings, some not listed in the bios.
it just unzips not sure if works in vista tho I think so, like cpu-z no big install.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92190

boot with one stick, whatever. boot at a stable memory speed say 667 go into os and fire up memset and see what all the timings are. The idea is you can then go into the bios and see if you can put in "relaxed sub-timings" in the manual entires and get the sticks stable at a higher frequency, some hints from the xs thread:

-Read delay usually settings is 3 or 4 for ddr,4 or 5 for ddr2 400/533 5 or higher for other ddr2.
(Read delay is a timing between memory chip and processor)
-Refresh cycle time usually settings are ~14 for ddr, ~20 for ddr2 400,25 and higher for other ddr2.
-Page close idle Timer is setting at 8 on 915 chipset,8 on 925 chipset if pat disabled,
and 3 or 4 if pat enabled.3 for other chipsets.
-Other values is calculed with specifications of your memory spd.
For example,Write Precharge = Cas - 1 +BL/2 + tWR.

BL(Burst Lenght) practically always 8.
tWR(Write recovery time) is 3 for ddr or ddr2/400 and 4 for ddr2/533.

If your have ddr2/533 and your Cas latency is 4,Write Precharge = 4 - 1 + (8/4) + 4 = 11.

again the idea is to loosen em up with some idea from the low speed run to try and get them stable at the high speed by putting looser sub timings in the manual bios settings.

for example:
tWR(Write recovery time) is 3 for ddr or ddr2/400 and 4 for ddr2/533. -- I would enter 6 for ddr 800 and maybe even 8 in the bios if it would let me.

probally not worth the trouble but wth.

No offence to the OP but I think its not your ram thatst crapping out at 400fsb...... From what Ive heard, the 680i is not the easiest board to configure, but its wicked when configured right..... Even the worst DDR 667 should have no problem running 400fsb at 5-5-5-15, it must be a something in your setting thats hindering your overclock.... Looking at your sig, I would recommend getting some Nice 2x 2G DDR 1000 modules and run them async, thats the strongpoint of your motherboard so you might as well take advantage of that..... Good luck

No offence to the OP but I think its not your ram thatst crapping out at 400fsb...... From what Ive heard, the 680i is not the easiest board to configure, but its wicked when configured right..... Even the worst DDR 667 should have no problem running 400fsb at 5-5-5-15, it must be a something in your setting thats hindering your overclock.... Looking at your sig, I would recommend getting some Nice 2x 2G DDR 1000 modules and run them async, thats the strongpoint of your motherboard so you might as well take advantage of that..... Good luck

There is not much pickings available for 2X2GB right now. In the next couple of years, perhaps more people will switch to 64-bit to take advantage of the higher ram ceiling and we'll start seeing some competition with the 4GB kits.

Back