GeforceNow on low end hardware

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
I have an old AMD E350 cpu/mb combo. I figured I could try GeforceNow on it and see how it fared.
I figured it should do well as it has integrated AMD graphics with video acceleration.

So I installed GeforceNow on Windows 10 with a 500GB HDD and 2GB DDR3
2gb proved to be too low as the HDD kept spinning all the time and it took forever for the client to start.
I swtiched the 2gb stick with an 8Gb stick and it was so much better.

Wifi was limited to 2.4ghz so I got a warning to switch to 5ghz. I went head.
Bandwidth was 30gb
Latency at 40ms
Framedrop at 13%

I tried DIRT3, it defaulted at 1024x768 and it was surprisingly smooth, with not bad latency. Very pixelated when it started but after a while it was very good IQ
I changed the resolution to 1280x720, looked much better but there was stuttering here and there and some pixelation at times. Still playable.

I connected an ethernet cable and suddenly it was buttery smooth even at 1080p

Also tried Assasins Creed Unity, Arkham Asylum, Fortnite, Arkham Knight and Lego Marvel. They all ran fine.

I already have a ShieldTV, which I think performs better overall. So I don't think I'll keep that setup but it was a nice experiment.

I have a gaming PC and theres where I'll game the most. But its a good option for my kid to play some games and even do multiplayer with him.

Sorry I didn't post any pics or videos but I'm lazy and re-compressed videos and pics look worse anyway.

BTW I also have a Core2Quad Q6600 + mobo (it should be faster cpu wise than the E350) which I was tempted to try, but since it doesn't have video acceleration I thought it was not worth it.

It doesn't surprise me that it works decently well (obviously dependent on connectivity though). While I don't use GeForce Now, I do stream games all over my house from and to multiple machines with varying specs. Most often, I'll stream from my main gaming desktop (i8700, RTX2070Super currently) to my living room PC that has an i3 8350K and 1050Ti, at full detail levels for Steam Streaming or Nvidia Streaming (I use both) at 1080/60. It's pretty flawless, and latency is very good. (though I do tend to pick games that I'm not sensitive to latency with... I wouldn't be streaming Quake games for example) Granted, my network is all wired gigabit, with fiber between switches on each floor. (though my network does have plenty of random traffic on it) Provided one's internet connection is decent (mine is typically 20-30ms to decent localish sites) I can see GeForce Now working pretty well. Also, if the receiving machine is good enough to decode a decent quality stream, then you should be set.

I'm not really a fan of the streaming model of business, but I could really see it being handy for some types of players.

Edit: I've also thought about giving it a quick try on my Shield TV just as an experiment. I have the gamepad for it, (and stream PC games from my PCs to it on occasion). I've never gotten around to trying though yet.

I see streaming as a supplemental service, not a replacement, which is why I think GeForce NOW is the way to go if publishers would cooperate. That way you would not have to buy a game multiple times like you do with Stadia just to stream your games while away from your home network.

I see streaming as a supplemental service, not a replacement, which is why I think GeForce NOW is the way to go if publishers would cooperate. That way you would not have to buy a game multiple times like you do with Stadia just to stream your games while away from your home network.
...and that is why some publishers are revolting, more so than any attempt to fragment the streaming market, IMO.

they should release a linux version, that might run even faster.

Now it looks like several publishers have pulled their games off. Kinda odd. I wonder if Google is paying them to do it. :D Nvidia's service actually works though, so...

Now it looks like several publishers have pulled their games off. Kinda odd. I wonder if Google is paying them to do it. :D Nvidia's service actually works though, so...
Have an updated list to share? Having a hard time compiling them all from all the miasma permeating the internet right now.

And it's not Google. Publishers large and small just want people to pay multiple times for the same game should they choose to try it on a different platform. Look at the pushback Microsoft is getting for Play Anywhere, a service that is freely available to everyone not just first parties. But you would think it was just for first party Microsoft titles looking at the list of games.

Activision/blizzard, 2k games, bethesda and some indie developer.

At least Tim Sweeney has endorsed the platform, but only a few epic games are available. Mainly Fortnite

Have an updated list to share? Having a hard time compiling them all from all the miasma permeating the internet right now.

And it's not Google. Publishers large and small just want people to pay multiple times for the same game should they choose to try it on a different platform. Look at the pushback Microsoft is getting for Play Anywhere, a service that is freely available to everyone not just first parties. But you would think it was just for first party Microsoft titles looking at the list of games.

Stoly's list looks about right. I just remember seeing two or three different articles over the course of the last three weeks or so with different publishers. So, it's not an "everyone jumping ship" thing, but it is a bit odd I think. Also, the ones that have dropped off don't really surprise me honestly. Still wondering though if someone else might be stirring the pot a bit.

Activision/blizzard, 2k games, bethesda and some indie developer.

At least Tim Sweeney has endorsed the platform, but only a few epic games are available. Mainly Fortnite
2K is new to me. The dev who made The Long Dark is the indie one and that came out a week or two ago. He argued that they didn't have a distribution agreement with NVIDIA even though GeForce NOW is not a distribution platform and people were chewing him apart in the Twitter thread.

Btw CAPCOM games were also pulled but it was prior to the service ended the beta

2k games hurt me the most, bioshock was part of the free games on shieldtv and I was very advanced. Now all is lost

Doubt it since no one is even putting games on Stadia. It is a DoA service that developers want nothing too do with. These companies just want a piece of the pie from Nvidia. I doubt they are pushing for a model like Stadia seeing how much of a flop it is.

Doubt it since no one is even putting games on Stadia. It is a DoA service that developers want nothing too do with. These companies just want a piece of the pie from Nvidia. I doubt they are pushing for a model like Stadia seeing how much of a flop it is.

Agreed on the DoA thing. I just thought there might be a chance that Google tried to use the one thing they do have (money) to woo some studios. Not that I thought it was likely, but you know... conversation and all that...

I don't always delight in flops, but Stadia was one of them. I also wouldn't mind the EGS flopping, but that's only because of the paid exclusive thing. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't care about EGS at all.

Apparently Ubisoft is staying on GeforceNow.

https://kotaku.com/what-s-going-on-with-geforce-now-1842221576

“Ubisoft fully supports NVIDIA’s GeForce Now with complete access to our PC games from the Ubisoft Store or any supported game stores,” Chris Early, the company’s SVP for Partnerships and Revenue, told Kotaku in an email. “We believe it’s a leading edge service that gives current and new PC players a high end experience with more choice in how and where they play their favorite games.”

Apparently Ubisoft is staying on GeforceNow.

https://kotaku.com/what-s-going-on-with-geforce-now-1842221576

“Ubisoft fully supports NVIDIA’s GeForce Now with complete access to our PC games from the Ubisoft Store or any supported game stores,” Chris Early, the company’s SVP for Partnerships and Revenue, told Kotaku in an email. “We believe it’s a leading edge service that gives current and new PC players a high end experience with more choice in how and where they play their favorite games.”
It's so weird seeing Ubisoft as a (semi) good guy these days, especially toward PC gamers after comments Yves Guillemot made back in the day.

It's so weird seeing Ubisoft as a (semi) good guy these days, especially toward PC gamers after comments Yves Guillemot made back in the day.

PC Games industry... ...quantum foam.

Back