GeForce Garage Marries NVIDIA, AMD and Intel into the Ultimate RGB Gaming Machine

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Today Nvidia has released their guide to building the ultimate RGB gaming PC featuring the GTX 1080 Ti, Intel 750 Series 400GB PCIe SSD and an AMD Ryzen 7 1700x CPU. The Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti is the star of the Green team's build as it is one of the fastest graphics cards on the planet! They then chose to use the highly multi-threaded AMD Ryzen 1700x processor and accompanying Asus Crosshair VI Hero motherboard as a solid, reliable platform for the ultimate gaming machine. Next on the dream component list were Intel and Samsung SSD drives for boot and storage respectively, while 16 GB of 3200MHz G.Skill RGB DDR4 memory serves as the highway for all the information passed among the components. Phanteks was their case of choice for the ultimate gaming PC and Corsair was the featured vendor for the cooling solutions and power supply.

They tested the machine and it put up superb gaming numbers! Great to see a truly neutral ultimate PC build from one of the best hardware manufacturers on the planet. What do you think of the build? Has hell doth frozen over? Personally I think the build is awesome and used high quality parts all the way through. I would be proud to own a machine of its caliber.

There you have it! An Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD, Ryzen 7, and a GTX 1080 Ti are your keys to the Ultimate High End RGB GeForce Gaming PC. Moreover, AMD continues to kick out additional performance tweaks and updates leading to even further performance gains in modern games and applications. Gamer’s note: Enrich your favorite titles further with more amazing features and enhancements, only available to PC gamers who have a GeForce GTX video card installed. Take your game visuals and performance to the next level with one-click optimal play settings in GeForce Experience, expand your game experience to the living room with Ansel, GameStream Co-Op, DSR, MFAA, NVIDIA G-Sync and more.

Last edited:
any links on when AMD came up with hyper-threading? or did the pay intel for use of it?

It's not an Intel technology, it's a general technique in CPU design to assist with keeping execution units occupied with work.

Oops guess they should have gone with DDR4 - 4000.

why 1700x and not 1800 or 1800x tho..? just sorta weird to not go all-out with cpu considering the rest of the parts...

I think the choice of CPU makes sense because you already blew your load (budget) on the 1080ti .
The 1700 is the best value and can be overclocked to 1800x levels so this system actually mostly makes sense and isn't really halo

why do they call it a RGB gaming rig? Might as well take out that expensive 1080 ti and replace it with rgb leds.

At this budget level, why not a 6900k/6950x?

Will OC higher, arguably better for content creation.

It's not an Intel technology, it's a general technique in CPU design to assist with keeping execution units occupied with work.

So that answer just didn't seem right since that would mean AMD could of been using hyper threading years ago. So i just did a fast look at google search and got this.

Hyper-threading is Intel's proprietary simultaneous multithreading (SMT) implementation used to improve parallelization of computations (doing multiple tasks at once) performed on x86 microprocessors.

So it says Intel is the proprietary owner of it. So since AMD is now advertising there chips with the same HT then they must be paying for the rights to use it. But have not seen any news of them making a deal. They just seem to have it all of a sudden so i was wondering if they came up with there own system or not. Seem like no. Im guessing they where ready to fold and asked Intel for assistance in staying in the game again. Since without AMD Intel would most likely be busted up for being a monopoly.

why 1700x and not 1800 or 1800x tho..? just sorta weird to not go all-out with cpu considering the rest of the parts...

cost and not really needed since the 1700X is unlocked like every other ryzen processor.. looks better saving customers a couple hundred dollars for the same performance. hell they could of even gone further and just used the 1700 instead of the 1700X but whats 20 dollars anyways with a build like that.

So that answer just didn't seem right since that would mean AMD could of been using hyper threading years ago. So i just did a fast look at google search and got this.

Hyper-threading is Intel's proprietary simultaneous multithreading (SMT) implementation used to improve parallelization of computations (doing multiple tasks at once) performed on x86 microprocessors.

So it says Intel is the proprietary owner of it. So since AMD is now advertising there chips with the same HT then they must be paying for the rights to use it. But have not seen any news of them making a deal. They just seem to have it all of a sudden so i was wondering if they came up with there own system or not. Seem like no. Im guessing they where ready to fold and asked Intel for assistance in staying in the game again. Since without AMD Intel would most likely be busted up for being a monopoly.

AMD uses their own version of it which is why you're seeing some games having issues with thread usage on ryzen processors.. while the premise is the same in that improves parallelization it's not an exact copy of intel's version nor does AMD call it "hyperthreading" they just call it SMT instead of using their own brand name. basically intel splits their core 50/50 = 2 threads, i believe AMD's is something like 80/20 or 70/30 split so the extra threads supplement the physical core threads.

i'm sure there's people that understand AMD's system better than i do and can give a more detailed description of how AMD's SMT implimentation works.

Last edited:
why do they call it a RGB gaming rig? Might as well take out that expensive 1080 ti and replace it with rgb leds.

Red = AMD
Green = Nvidia
Blue = Intel.

Get it? RGB is a pun here :D

375px-AMD_Radeon_graphics_logo_2014.svg.png

photo.jpg

RGB = most gimmicky description attached to everything electronic these days.

Last edited:

SMT is not a proprietary tech, anyone can use it. If anyone were to have a valid claim to the tech, it would be IBM and NOT Intel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_multithreading

Hyperthreading is a proprietary version of Simultaneous Multi-threading (SMT) used on Intel CPU's.
AMD has made their own version of SMT for Ryzen.
IBM also has their own form of SMT on some of their chips.

SMT is not a proprietary tech, anyone can use it. If anyone were to have a valid claim to the tech, it would be IBM and NOT Intel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simultaneous_multithreading

Hyperthreading is a proprietary version of Simultaneous Multi-threading (SMT) used on Intel CPU's.
AMD has made their own version of SMT for Ryzen.
IBM also has their own form of SMT on some of their chips.

Thanks, all correct. To further clarify, "HyperThreading" is just a word the marketing department came up with. It is SMT all the same.

I was actually working at Intel at the time. SMT was considered way too academic and obscure, and didn't convey, well, anything to a layperson. They wanted something which sounded technical to a degree but also had some easily understood "GO FASTER" sound to it. Thus, HyperThreading was born!

Reactions: P4B
like this
So a little more research and i came up with "a Intel OEM software engineer testing a CPU performance measurement software on a test motherboard stumbled on to hyperthreading on the x86 chip that worked". but IBM, DEC, Compaq, AMD, SGI and Intel all had versions of SMT, but none of them really worked good. Intel's was the first to really work with 30 patents or more to back it up " BTW, the hard part about SMT is not "inventing" it, the concept is pretty simple, it is implementing it and making it work that is pretty damn difficult." said in 2005. It was always just called SMT until Intel got it working on the x86 chip So it still seems that "Hyperthreading" is still a trademark name of Intel.

ok i made it to AMDs site and its called threadripper! So yeah it is there version. I seen so many ppl call it Hyperthread that i thought it was called HT. I was going to say if they had there own then it would have to be call Hypercore or some random name since Intel owned the trademark to HT
I never really cared that much for AMD so i didnt really look into the new chips. but did learn that their first version of SMT was not even duel threaded. and didnt really work so ill be looking forward to reading up on this.

Clever, clever marketing. The underlying message seems to be, "you can be an AMD fan and still buy a GPU from Nvidia." :p

So a little more research and i came up with "a Intel OEM software engineer testing a CPU performance measurement software on a test motherboard stumbled on to hyperthreading on the x86 chip that worked". but IBM, DEC, Compaq, AMD, SGI and Intel all had versions of SMT, but none of them really worked good. Intel's was the first to really work with 30 patents or more to back it up " BTW, the hard part about SMT is not "inventing" it, the concept is pretty simple, it is implementing it and making it work that is pretty damn difficult." said in 2005. It was always just called SMT until Intel got it working on the x86 chip So it still seems that "Hyperthreading" is still a trademark name of Intel.

ok i made it to AMDs site and its called threadripper! So yeah it is there version. I seen so many ppl call it Hyperthread that i thought it was called HT. I was going to say if they had there own then it would have to be call Hypercore or some random name since Intel owned the trademark to HT
I never really cared that much for AMD so i didnt really look into the new chips. but did learn that their first version of SMT was not even duel threaded. and didnt really work so ill be looking forward to reading up on this.
Wow, so much awesome info. Most of it I have never heard before. Ever!
Thanks dude.

Back