GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER v397.31

Display Driver Standalone Installer
The standalone display driver installer now removes extracted files after installing the driver, leaving a smaller foot print on the hard drive.

Finally.....

HD Audio
This driver adds new sample rates 32 kHz, 88.2 kHz, and 176.4 kHz to the HDMI device for all GPUs

Will have to read up on the benefits/features of these. On 192KHz currently (forced by DAC).

I'm curious if their drivers will change significantly when the Win10 "April Update" rolls out. They totally overhauled their way of handling HDR when Microsoft began to officially support it. The new update makes some tweaks to that formula.

Heads up, these are causing massive issues with GTX 1060's right now, leading to boot loops or max resolution of 800x. Hold off Nvidia said in another forum not to be mentioned here a hot fix will be out soon.

Heads up, these are causing massive issues with GTX 1060's right now, leading to boot loops or max resolution of 800x. Hold off Nvidia said in another forum not to be mentioned here a hot fix will be out soon.
link?

Will have to read up on the benefits/features of these. On 192KHz currently (forced by DAC).

It's negligible on a good day but this is hifi territory so beware. For me personally its more about the quality of the remastering work than the bitrate and usually with these high end remasters the work they put into it is worth it.

I’m really looking forward to version 361239.86b, as I hear they will be great, and should be available next February...

HD Audio
This driver adds new sample rates 32 kHz, 88.2 kHz, and 176.4 kHz to the HDMI device for all GPUs
This was a major annoyance when trying to play DSD audio from PC to an Oppo blue ray player, it wouldnt do it at native frequencies over HDMI.
I had to switch audio device to USB for stereo or direct on the player for surround.
Granted it sounded better over USB or direct but there were many times I didnt care and just wanted to put music on without having a pita.
I could resample as well but that reduced quality quite a bit.
What possessed them to not allow it? Talk about ruining the experience for nothing.

I dont have an Oppo any more so fat lot of good it is now.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble installing these

Couldn't, through geforce experience, installer, or just pointing the hardware manager at the extracted driver folder

Only thing that worked was uninstalling from device manager and windows 10 returned to my last working driver

Device manage said my 1060 was disabled as there was a problem
I have had this problem for probably a year.
My 1080ti has another cards bios with a higher power limit.
NVidia started preventing drivers installing unless the power limit matches the original card.
After running the main installer, on reboot everything has uninstalled and nothing new is installed.
re the current problems, NVidia may have extended their checks for an invalid bios and some genuine cards fall into the trap.
I have to say Nvidia are taking the enthusiast fun out of gfx cards rather like MS have done to Windows.

I have a simple workaround that might work for you.
Manually running the local installer for each device works every time for me.

with Nvidia WHQL doesn't mean stable or solid at all...there's always a hotfix released shortly afterwards over the past 6 months or so

I have had this problem for probably a year.
My 1080ti has another cards bios with a higher power limit.
NVidia started preventing drivers installing unless the power limit matches the original card.
After running the main installer, on reboot everything has uninstalled and nothing new is installed.
re the current problems, NVidia may have extended their checks for an invalid bios and some genuine cards fall into the trap.
I have to say Nvidia are taking the enthusiast fun out of gfx cards rather like MS have done to Windows.

I have a simple workaround that might work for you.
Manually running the local installer for each device works every time for me.

No custom bios, nor even raised power target using evga precision x
No OC being done on my 1060, either

NVIDIA Game Ready Drivers Not So Ready
It is being reported on the GeForce Forums, that the v397.31 Game Ready Drivers are causing folks issue on install. It seems the drivers are failing with GTX 1060 cards then throwing the machine into an endless loop. I would suggest you hold off on upgrading those drivers till we get an official response from NVIDIA. Well, they will not respond to HardOCP since we reported on GPP, but maybe they will say something we can pass along.

Last edited:
Wow.

Thanks for the heads up [H]!!

Guess I'l stick with 390.77 for a bit longer.... *shrugs

Nvidia used to make the most stable drivers out there. It's funny to see how poor they have become. I can't help but wonder what happened.

Their drivers were always perfect for me until 372.54, the first WDDM 2.1 drivers.

It almost feels like at some point they fired the entire team and had some new people developing drivers. As if the new team then coasted along working well for a while relying on the work that was done previous to them starting their work, and then WDDM 2.1 came around the corner, and they had to actually develop something, and have been failing ever since.

Starting with 372.54, I had intermittent device initialization issues with my Pascal Titan X on boot in Windows 10. This problem lasted for several months until it was eventually fixed for me.

I rolled back to 391.24 from 391.35 because Far Cry 5 was stuttering with the Far Cry 5 Game Ready drivers. It showed my FPS staying steady but frametimes were bouncing all over the place and the game would stutter every couple seconds. Rolling back resolved those issues. I'll be holding off on these for sure.

Nvidia used to make the most stable drivers out there. It's funny to see how poor they have become. I can't help but wonder what happened.

Their drivers were always perfect for me until 372.54, the first WDDM 2.1 drivers.

It almost feels like at some point they fired the entire team and had some new people developing drivers. As if the new team then coasted along working well for a while relying on the work that was done previous to them starting their work, and then WDDM 2.1 came around the corner, and they had to actually develop something, and have been failing ever since.

Starting with 372.54, I had intermittent device initialization issues with my Pascal Titan X on boot in Windows 10. This problem lasted for several months until it was eventually fixed for me.

Last I checked they still have notes about a driver issue with City of Heroes. I once sent in feedback - didnt change anything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Heroes

The game has been offline for 6 years (may the fleas of a million camels infect the offices of NCSoft)

Anyone try these on a GTX 970 or 1070? Asking for a "friend." :D
seems fine on my roommates 970 system.

these also drop fermi support, just in case anyone other than me is still using these old ass cards...

I've gotten lax with video card drivers in that I often just install the latest when they come out. With AMD its been because of a weird bug in win7 on some systems with wake up on sleep mode not working properly. Knock on wood that system of mine with the problem has been stable for several months now. Anyway, the age old wisdom that don't upgrade unless there is a problem or reason to seems wise more and more these days no matter who it is. Reminds me of that snafu samsung had a couple of years ago with a firmware upgrade on one of their ssd drives. The Magic software said to update... people updated and got bricked drives.

Unless I have a game that isn't running very well or at all, I'll wait for a day or two on new drivers. My laptop with a 1060 will be just fine for a bit with old drivers.

I don't update them for at least a week unless critical update(s) contained. Google for gnashing of teeth like this, if minimal gnashing I install.

Answer: Low Level APIs (DX12/Vulkan).

A lot of what used to be done by the NVIDIA driver is now done at the app level, so any incorrectly coded app is going to crash the display driver. NVIDIA probably had to do a major re-architecting of what was previously a stable driver, which wouldn't help much either.

A lot of what used to be done by the NVIDIA driver is now done at the app level, so any incorrectly coded app is going to crash the display driver. NVIDIA probably had to do a major re-architecting of what was previously a stable driver, which wouldn't help much either.
Has nothing to do with installation issues and those that also occur on DX11.
The blanket you are using isnt big enough to cover this situ.

And here I thought only AMD had install issues...

AMD Install issues = NAS.
Another useraccount as driveinstall without any drives mapped and viola, most common i've seen with AMD.
Nvidia = DDU then install = good to go

both have issues, just different ones :)

No one said anything about games and apps making the driver crash, buggy games on this release

Except the game ready driver for Far Cry 5 actually made the game crash, which was confirmed
So I was hoping the newer version would fix that as well

Nvidia put Vulkan 1.1 in there (supposedly) but that's more an additional driver in the package

The pure stripped down driver without installer won't even install
GPU is just disabled in hardware manager as "having a problem"

Btw

Even if they redid the whole driver from the ground up, as you claim, doesn't mean one should skip quality control
Were talking 1060 cards here, not 5 year old cards
Also those are certified drivers

Fun to see what that is worth

Edit:

Thing is drivers became bugged not so long ago

That was way way after DX12 support

Back