Geforce 780 vs 780TI

mmarsh

Limp Gawd
OK I think I have ruled out the AMD R9 series. I am going to stay Green. My reasons are the noise issues (especially), unstable speeds (caused by bad drivers), anew suggestion to replace the thermal paste, and the latest surprise the fact that BF4 wasn't going to be bundled in everything. I am not saying its bad card, but it certainly got its shares of hassles, hassles I don't want.

I am not a hater, and its just seems like AMD is on the verge of a great product, but it still needs fine tuning. How no one in QA noticed that the cooling solution was garbage on a reference board is a head scratchier...

Nvidia's may not be as fast or as cheap, but they do work as advertised.

So its down to Nvidia. Now I currently have a Geforce 570 and am thinking about a 3 screen surround solution with G-Sync when the monitors arrive. But I gotta do something about the 570 as several games are beginning to show their strain...

That leave me with 3 choices.

1. Buy a 780 TI. Great Card, but so unbelievably expensive.

2. Buy 2x 780 for SLi. Dated technology now, More expensive overall but I can spread the costs by buying the second card a little later. However I worry about the frames I will get if I do go Surround. 780TI might be worth it for surround.

3. Wait for Maxwell. Rumored to be Q1 2014 but who knows for sure? I don't want to wait forever. Leaning against this as there is no recent news.

The other part that bothers me about the 780s (both models) is that they only have 3 GIGS RAM, and it looks like Surround/Eyefinity is happier with at least 6. Titan is out of the question.

Right now in Paris, France

1. A 780 is about 470 EUROS for the Asus 780 DirectOC II, 550 for MSI Lightning

2. A 780TI is about 670+/- EUROS (for reference boards)

200 EUROS difference is a lot for me right now, but I will do it if there is value in it. Its also less expensive than the SLI overall. But I am not interested in bragging rights or if its only a modest increase.

What do you think I should do?

Last edited:
i would make your first choice, the post hte the Nvidia Sub Forum intead of AMD :)

on the flip side, if 200$ is a lot for you right now, then its too bad you ruled ou the 290.. best bang for the buck..

Mods

Sorry my thread in wrong subforum. Can you move it please to the Nvidia Forum.

Thanks.

Last edited:
i would make your first choice, the post hte the Nvidia Sub Forum intead of AMD :)

on the flip side, if 200$ is a lot for you right now, then its too bad you ruled ou the 290.. best bang for the buck..

Yeah I know I botched the forum sorry..

Not $200, the $200 difference which is enormous. I am not opposed to spending big bucks but only if there is value. Spending ridicoulous sums of money for bagging rights and a extra 5 FPS isn't worth 2 C-Bills.

Undoubtedly r9 290 the best bang for buck, but the noise. I had a very bad experience with that with a 4870x2, and the majority of reviewers have said if noise bothers you, to skip it.

Yeah I know I botched the forum sorry..

Not $200, the $200 difference which is enormous. I am not opposed to spending big bucks but only if there is value. Spending ridicoulous sums of money for bagging rights and a extra 5 FPS isn't worth 2 C-Bills.

Undoubtedly r9 290 the best bang for buck, but the noise. I had a very bad experience with that with a 4870x2, and the majority of reviewers have said if noise bothers you, to skip it.
Then wait for the 290's to come with non-reference heatsinks before you make your move. If you're worried about value it would be a bit ridiculous to make your move now without seeing what the addition on a non-ref cooler will do to the card that already has the best bang for the buck.

Back