Geforce 780 GTX Ti is a monster overclocker

madgun

[H]ard|Gawd
So I got my EVGA 780 GTX Ti SC and did some comparisons with my MSI 780 GTX Lightning running at 1306 / 6.5 Ghz. At the default boost clock of 1046 Mhz the card ties out with the heavily overclocked lightning.

But things get interesting when you start changing the core and memory offsets. So far I have been able to get 1215 Mhz on the core and 7.5 Ghz on memory all at default voltages without tinkering with anything. I did set the power target of 106% but the card barely touched 103 during burn in sessions. Temperature remained at 85C throughout the operation.

I believe once non-reference PCBs with better VRMs hit the market, the Ti is going to go even further up. Having said that, I am pretty happy with the overclocks and the card draws less power than my lightning (since I had to crank up the voltage to 1.165V).

With the current overclocks the card is 12% faster than my overclocked lightning. The lightning already was more than 15% faster than a stock 780 GTX. So you can do the math. Ofcouse GPU lottery plays a big role but GK110B is highly binned and chances of getting a decent core are high.

Last edited:
So, in terms of performance gains in games, what percentage gains are you seeing?

Real world gaming performance takes a 10% increase in fps across the board. Considering that the SC cards are already clocked at 980 Mhz, I am quite satisfied by the end result. You get a lot of free performance out of the card and that too with a stock heat sink.

Interesting results. Thanks for sharing. The price of the 780ti might be more justifiable if you can get an additional 10% performance gain.

Can you raise the voltage on the card? I'd imagine 1300+ would be doable pretty easy on most of these cards with a volt increase and better cooling. Might see 1400+ from the Classy and such. If Galaxy makes a HOF, I might have to piss off my wife and grab one!

Can you raise the voltage on the card? I'd imagine 1300+ would be doable pretty easy on most of these cards with a volt increase and better cooling. Might see 1400+ from the Classy and such. If Galaxy makes a HOF, I might have to piss off my wife and grab one!

The ref card allows +71 to +75 IIRC. You will obviously hit the TDP/temperature wall earlier on the reference board as compared to aftermarket, so i'm more interested in seeing how aftermarket 780ti's overclock (eg lightning, classified).

I agree. I bought the EVGA stock-clock version because that's what Amazon had in stock.

It seems pretty happy with a 20% overclock:
105% power
85 degrees celcius
+200 GPU
+100 memory

With v-sync on, it reliably runs over 1200 MHz. With v-sync off, it'll start to slow down a little due to thermal throttling and run at more like 1100 MHz.

The evga 780 sc i had also hit 1215mhz on stock voltage. So it is not much different in that respect. The mempry, on the otherhand, is faster than what i had my 780 on, but, i never really pushed the mempry overclocks.

Thanks for sharing. I have put up my cards on sale. If they get sold I will get the 780 Ti asap. :)

Once again I think nvidia could have very easily created a boost clock of 1050 Mhz. That would have given them a decisive lead over the competition. I don't know why they are holding back on the headroom. Just squeeze as much performance as possible like the 290X does.

Once again I think nvidia could have very easily created a boost clock of 1050 Mhz. That would have given them a decisive lead over the competition. I don't know why they are holding back on the headroom. Just squeeze as much performance as possible like the 290X does.

I could see the non-reference cards coming out with 1050+ boost clocks as standard.

I could see the non-reference cards coming out with 1050+ boost clocks as standard.

Lets see what non-reference does to the Ti. I would imagine seeing a regular overclock of 1350 to 1400 Mhz with better VRMs. I love everything about the reference design and the Titan styled cooler but I don't think that the cooling is adequate for over-volting > 1.2V. The VRAMs just give up, although I see a lot of potential in the core.

I'm personally waiting for the ACX cooler, Classy, or Lightning versions. But a part of me thinks that I should jump on the bandwagon now while the overclocking it good. They might change something later to make it worse like. I have the space on my Newegg account...

Madgun, at 1220+ core, it would take a 1400+ Mhz regular GTX 780 to beat your 780 Ti.

Cant wait for non reference 6Gb 780 Ti designs. With watercooling 780 Ti's should hit 1300+ without problems.

Yea I am at stock voltage of 1.15 to 1.162V. Didn't try to go to 1.2V as I wasn't sure whether the stock VRMs could take that kind of a beating. But I was quite satisfied with the 1200+ mark which is already 10-15% faster than my O/C'd lightning.

This is what happens when you push it to the wall:

GnCZ9YN.jpg

Is2su5l.jpg

JBKXlxz.png

1286MHz Core, 7.7GHz Memory, 1.212 Volts

Card was using 106% of TDP on this custom bios. 100% TDP = 300 Watts, so I was pulling 318 Watts lol

:cool:

Wow, great overclocks. That voltage is insane for the stock VRMs and I hope you don't do regular gaming on it. Anyways did you try the 1.18V mark. That seems to be the sweet spot for the Ti's at the moment.

I will be going back to the stock bios eventually, after I'm done playing around with it. Won't be running at these clocks/volts 24/7

Just like you, I am also using Skynet's BIOS from OCN. I like the way it disables boost and gives me precise control over the voltage and power targets. Unlike boost 2.0 my voltage never budges from 1.162V during gaming.

Yeah I'm thinking about locking the voltage at 1.162 and running at 1200Mhz Core and calling it a day. Though, once my second 780 Ti comes in I doubt I will need to overclock at all lol

You could very well run both the cards at 1150 - 1200Mhz with 1.162V, That would be an additional 20% performance. But I agree, the Ti Sli would already be so bad-ass!

Yeah I'm thinking about locking the voltage at 1.162 and running at 1200Mhz Core and calling it a day. Though, once my second 780 Ti comes in I doubt I will need to overclock at all lol

That's what I did with Titan (1.162 / 1084) less load on my system. So there's a Skynet bios out for the 780Ti already? Choices, choices.

Back