GeForce 304.48 Beta Driver

Why do people ask this without first trying stock clocks or even underclocking first? Like somehow forum members can divine from great distance if their oc is flaky or not with a crystal ball. Certainly new drivers could lean on the hardware harder (more efficiently) or in a different way. Or it could be a driver bug, or even a game bug exposed by new drivers.
Thanks xorbe for the highly enlightening reply. Now could you also share your insightful perspective on the shogun 2 issue that I so obscenely mentioned? I would be much obliged.

Last edited:
Up to 60% (sitting at a specific xyz with a particular view vector) probably means down to 0% improvement in rest of the game.

are the built in uninstallers from drivers itself are good enough? how do u guys uninstall drivers completely

Don't uninstall graphics drivers, just install over top and choose the "clean install" method. **reboot once done. This is how I've been doing it for years without a single issue. In fact the only time I've ever had problems with installing/uninstalling graphics drivers was when I unfortunately decided to follow "advice" on using driver cleaner/sweeper programs -- they're absolutely not necessary, don't use them.

Don't uninstall graphics drivers, just install over top and choose the "clean install" method. **reboot once done. This is how I've been doing it for years without a single issue. In fact the only time I've ever had problems with installing/uninstalling graphics drivers was when I unfortunately decided to follow "advice" on using driver cleaner/sweeper programs -- they're absolutely not necessary, don't use them.

Thanks for the reply. I will do that.

I just run Unigine Heaven benchmark with this driver and my min FPS went from 19.5 to 22 and about 300 Points. I really could tell the difference when i run it for the first time.

I just run Unigine Heaven benchmark with this driver and my min FPS went from 19.5 to 22 and about 300 Points. I really could tell the difference when i run it for the first time.
the minimum score in Heaven, like any other flyby bench, is not very consistent.

the minimum score in Heaven, like any other flyby bench, is not very consistent.

Last driver i had i run 5 benchmark and all resulted within 19 fps +/- .5 and now i run 3 times already and averagely 22 fps. never dip below 22 so far. 300 points is not bad.

Last driver i had i run 5 benchmark and all resulted within 19 fps +/- .5 and now i run 3 times already and averagely 22 fps. never dip below 22 so far. 300 points is not bad.
the average is almost perfectly consistent but the minimum has never been. I have looked at tons of peoples scores and its easy to see that minimum framerate means almost nothing in Heaven. there is sometimes just one really low dip when changing scenes or first starting that may not always occur.

Well comparing the previous min fps to new result is pretty to good to base on the improvement of this latest beta.

Well comparing the previous min fps to new result is pretty to good to base on the improvement of this latest beta.
well you can look through tons of Heaven benchmark comparisons and see that the minimum framerate means almost nothing. really we keep doing this all night. :D

my minimum in my last run of all max settings is 32 fps. do you really think my system is 50% better than yours at delivering minimum framerate? of course not. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. BTW, I used to get a lot of updates through the Nvidia control panel when new drivers are out, but I have not gotten one in a while, even though I've updated certified drivers twice. Am I just not seeing it or does this feature seem hit or miss?

You can say what you want, but I have always changed drivers by first running the uninstaller, then cleaning out with DriverCleaner.net, then installing......now I've been doing this solidly for over 10 years, never an issue. But I primarily have used AMD products. I do do the same for nvidia however.:p

Thanks for the heads up. BTW, I used to get a lot of updates through the Nvidia control panel when new drivers are out, but I have not gotten one in a while, even though I've updated certified drivers twice. Am I just not seeing it or does this feature seem hit or miss?

Don't you have to opt in to the nvidia update thing when you load a new driver ? Or is it an opt-out? I just can't recall.:D

So the latest beta 304.48 broke BF3 for me when I enable MSAA, either 4x or 2x the whole environment turns black and flashes. The player and the soldiers are normal, but everything else is black. With MSAA off, everything is perfect.

Anybody else have this issue?

I'm running a single EVGA SC+ Signature GTX 680

Forgot to mention, here is my setup.

3770k @ 4.7GHz
Asus P8Z77V-PRO
Corsair 1866MHz CL9 16GB 4x4GB memory
EVGA SC+ Signature GTX 680

Here are some things I did to get MSAA to work with the new 304.48 drivers, BF3 and my GTX680 EVGA Signature SC+

I have to go into video settings in BF3, turn off MSAA, save. Then Exit the game.

Restart the game, go into video settings and turned MSAA back on and everything works.

If I leave MSAA on when I shut down the game, the next time I start up BF3 the environment is a black mess .

Also tried reverting back to 301 drivers and everything is perfect so it's definitely a driver problem with 304.48.

Damn it, Civ V doesn't work properly with this driver.

If it's not crashing, but giving you horrible lag or super low fps, alt tab out of civ v when you're at the main menu, then go back to the game. that should fix it temporarily.

If it's not crashing, but giving you horrible lag or super low fps, alt tab out of civ v when you're at the main menu, then go back to the game. that should fix it temporarily.

No, its crashing. I didn't have it crash at first but it did crash after a few turns. I rolled back and haven't had it crash since.

This driver dramatically improved the erratic GPU usages I was seeing with 3-way GTX 670 FTW SLI. Usages would drop down to 40's, 50's and 60's a lot and now they spend a lot more time in the 70's, 80's and 90's. FPS is is also up around 80-100 in BF3 5760x1080 a lot more than it used to be.

I installed the driver, and Firefox and Excel work great ... no time to game recently. :( Working on Bioshock recently ... *cough*

Anyone know if there is a way to preserve all game profiles and NVInspector profile settings when installing new drivers? My install method is: uninstall old drivers from program/features (and NV Update, PhysX), reboot, install new package. I do not tick "clean install" or use any driver cleaner type software. Sometimes all my profiles save, sometimes they revert to defaults which is annoying.

No problems on the new drivers for me, seems to have fixed stutter/low fps in Diablo III (used to happen in towns, especially Hidden Camp). Also tested BF3 for an hour and Mass Effect 3 for 3 hours, but I was not having the stutter issues others were (I use adaptive vsync on all games).

The Update tool doesn't seem to ever notify me of new drivers, gotta check the settings I guess.

Anyone know if there is a way to preserve all game profiles and NVInspector profile settings when installing new drivers? My install method is: uninstall old drivers from program/features (and NV Update, PhysX), reboot, install new package. I do not tick "clean install" or use any driver cleaner type software. Sometimes all my profiles save, sometimes they revert to defaults which is annoying.

No problems on the new drivers for me, seems to have fixed stutter/low fps in Diablo III (used to happen in towns, especially Hidden Camp). Also tested BF3 for an hour and Mass Effect 3 for 3 hours, but I was not having the stutter issues others were (I use adaptive vsync on all games).

The Update tool doesn't seem to ever notify me of new drivers, gotta check the settings I guess.

Just install over top the existing driver. You don't need to uninstall the old one - they've really improved the installer.

Yeah, how are you guys noticing a BF3 performance drop? I play all the time and it seems either the same if not a tad smoother.

So am I the only one having the BF3 MSAA issue with 304.48 and the EVGA GTX680?

Enabled either 2x or 4x causes the game to go all black. Only reverting back to 301 fixes the problems. Already tried re installing 2 times with no effect.

Last edited:
just noticed this also fixed the higher clocks when DP port is used. Without nvidia inspector i'm clocked at 324/324 again! woo

Driver causes windows to switch to basic scheme randomly....
yeah I got that too. I got fed up with all the issues and my gtx670 is packed up and ready to go back to newegg tomorrow. I am not paying 420 bucks for a hit or miss gaming experience and random issues. TBH I really am losing interest in pc gaming at this point because it seems that its always something with a game that needs to be tweaked or fixed. one driver can fix something while screwing up something else and I am pretty tired of it.

Everything is as smooth as butter with this driver in bf3, d3, max payne, torchlight, sonic generations and alice.

no more stuttering with adaptative v-sync, yeah!

Witcher 2 is worse with this driver

Microstutter happens with this driver when vsync is off, previous driver didn't do this.

I was working through ACT IV too. FUCK.

yeah I got that too. I got fed up with all the issues and my gtx670 is packed up and ready to go back to newegg tomorrow. I am not paying 420 bucks for a hit or miss gaming experience and random issues. TBH I really am losing interest in pc gaming at this point because it seems that its always something with a game that needs to be tweaked or fixed. one driver can fix something while screwing up something else and I am pretty tired of it.

You're fed up with beta drivers not working 100% flawlessly? Stick to the solid releases of drivers that don’t have any problems and don’t use the latest cutting edge beta drivers if you have issues with things not working perfectly. Buying the latest card that just came out is also asking for there to be a few hitches along the way.

If everything "just worked" out of the box these cards would cost even more money than they do today, and frankly I’m perfectly fine with devoting a small amount of my time to squash bugs here and there or wait for updated drivers when something doesn’t work 100% in exchange for paying significantly less money for the best gaming experience.

The ability to tinker around with our drivers is what PC Gaming is all about, there’s bugs here and there but in the end we get the best gaming experience possible in exchange for being smart enough or patient enough to sort out the bugs.

Console gaming is for people who can’t be bothered with tinkering and accept a baseline gaming experience in exchange.

I bought a 680 the day they came out and for over a month I had to unplug and replug my monitors power cable in every day because DisplayPort wasn’t working properly with the current drivers. I didn’t get so furious that my $500 card was a piece of garbage that I returned it; it still played games and that’s mainly what I paid for. I made sure the issue was well documented with Nvidia tech support and on their forums.

Last edited:
You're fed up with beta drivers not working 100% flawlessly? Stick to the solid releases of drivers that don’t have any problems and don’t use the latest cutting edge beta drivers if you have issues with things not working perfectly. Buying the latest card that just came out is also asking for there to be a few hitches along the way.

If everything "just worked" out of the box these cards would cost even more money than they do today, and frankly I’m perfectly fine with devoting a small amount of my time to squash bugs here and there or wait for updated drivers when something doesn’t work 100% in exchange for paying significantly less money for the best gaming experience.

The ability to tinker around with our drivers is what PC Gaming is all about, there’s bugs here and there but in the end we get the best gaming experience possible in exchange for being smart enough or patient enough to sort out the bugs.

Console gaming is for people who can’t be bothered with tinkering and accept a baseline gaming experience in exchange.

I bought a 680 the day they came out and for over a month I had to unplug and replug my monitors power cable in every day because DisplayPort wasn’t working properly with the current drivers. I didn’t get so furious that my $500 card was a piece of garbage that I returned it; it still played games and that’s mainly what I paid for. I made sure the issue was well documented with Nvidia tech support and on their forums.
first off the beta driver excuse is nonsense as it was the WHQL driver that gave the vsync stutter bug in the first place. and if you know anything about Nvidia then you know that some of their worst drivers, like the ones that let cards overheat, were WHQL. and its not just their new cards that are impacted by driver issues either as it the last couple of drivers have screwed up things on non Kepler cards too.

The grass is always greener on the other side. Keep dreaming if you think it's all rainbows and unicorns on the AMD side, my friend.

A quick visit to that section will show you that you may or may not have issues using AMD as well.

What will you use?

Had problems with these causing Wow to ctd for some reason, reinstalled the whqls and no problems again weird.

The grass is always greener on the other side. Keep dreaming if you think it's all rainbows and unicorns on the AMD side, my friend.

A quick visit to that section will show you that you may or may not have issues using AMD as well.

What will you use?
I never mentioned getting an AMD card as I prefer to use Nvidia. I am not going to put up with driver issues and stuttering though for a $420 video card. I will probably just get something cheaper for now. I might even eventually just sell my pc since I am sort of losing interest in pc gaming anyway.

Had weird problem last night... BF3 exited (I was forced to kill it) to the desktop. The BF3 icon was still running, however if I clicked on the BF3 icon nothing was happening (I was actually losing mouse cursor). I checked AB log and it looks like the power % spiked to 388...hmmm... i checked event viewer and I've only notice 1 warning (display driver restart)... no critical or error events... I will try BF3 tonight at stock speeds... Not sure what it is... I'm using adaptive vsync on... Problem is I played for 10-20 hours last week without any issues... After the crash I did change nvidia power management to performance. Perhaps I should lower power in AB from 122% to 117% or something... I don't think it is PSU... fun fun fun... ;)

Back