Gears on the PC

who cares? ports which take this long to get over always suck. the control scheme will not transfer well to PC.
 
better than having no gears. The only game I wanted to play that come out of xbox.
 
who cares? ports which take this long to get over always suck. the control scheme will not transfer well to PC.

Yeah, epic always makes terrible games, and no pc users are interested in this at all.
 
Gears for PC would be kinda cool, as long as it wasn't shackled by Windows Live for multiplayer. Then we get free maps, mods, and all that good user-driven stuff.
 
Yeah, epic always makes terrible games, and no pc users are interested in this at all.

im assuming thats sarcasm ? if not :eek:

I would personally love to have gears for pc. my favorite game out for pretty much anything, i just cant afford a pc and a 360 so im glad to heard this.
 
im assuming thats sarcasm ? if not :eek:

I would personally love to have gears for pc. my favorite game out for pretty much anything, i just cant afford a pc and a 360 so im glad to heard this.

You are remarkably perceptive
 
God I hope not, the control mechanism would be garbage on PC. Besides, I want to hear about UT3, not GoW on PC at E3.
 
im assuming thats sarcasm ? if not :eek:

Why would he create the thread then bash the game?

I'd like to see the game ported over as long as it is polished and not a buggy pos. Like Marvelous, this is the only game on the 360 that interests me.
 
God I hope not, the control mechanism would be garbage on PC.

How so? Just put space as the cover button since GOW doesn't have jump. Everything else would work quite nicely on Mouse/KB combo.
 
I was considering buying an Xbox 360 for this game after reading all the glowing reviews. What a mistake that would've been. While the single-player is great for a single playthrough, the multiplayer is average at best, and there isn't much replay value. That said, I'll very likely get this game for the PC.
 
Have you played it MP? It's actually one of the best MP experiences I've had in years. I've been playing FPS online not forever, but since UT99, RTCW, etc etc, and find Gears small scale 4 on 4 to be pretty intimately awesome.

The SP is given pretty nice legs too, due to MP coop over live. I've played through probably a dozen times, usually with every new friend who buys the game. Never played through a PC game more than once, other than RPG type games.
 
It's still a console port. Which games of that type have been great on PC? Halo? lol come on. I HOPE it owns I really do but experience tells me otherwise.

Remember I am older than dirt and owned a new
Pong when it came out so :p

respect your elder gamers!
 
It's still a console port. Which games of that type have been great on PC? Halo? lol come on. I HOPE it owns I really do but experience tells me otherwise.

Remember I am older than dirt and owned a new
Pong when it came out so :p

respect your elder gamers!

Console ports generally blow and suck simultaneously, I agree. I have faith in epic ...we'll see however.
 
It is still their UE3 engine, which has been applied on both PC and console, so I would assume that Epic would be able to apply their experience with both in this case. There are still technical issues to work out with the differences in hardware as well and potentially gameplay tweaks (since mouse aiming makes players more deadly than they were on a controller).

So long as they take the time to iron such things out, it shouldn't be too hard for them to share Gears with PC players. It's a pretty decent game.
 
who cares? ports which take this long to get over always suck. the control scheme will not transfer well to PC.
If I remember right, Xbox 360 controllers are usable on PCs, so why would it suck?
 
If I remember right, Xbox 360 controllers are usable on PCs, so why would it suck?

He meant KB/Mouse. Which doesn't make any more sense, but thought I would clarify.

On the game, my only concern is whether we'll see coop. I literally feel insulted Halo 2pc shipped without coop. If it gets cut I will have to stay away from this game on principle. I am sick and tired of one of the greatest of game modes being neglected. From a development perspective it is probably one of the "easiest" options to include. You don't need any more maps. You don't need to balance weapons/classes. You can use all of the existing game content. In a world of million+ dollar games, it would seem to me that any opportunity you can effectively double your game's replay value at a cost exclusively in code you had better jump on it.

Especially on a platform like the PC. You're likely to get extra game sales from people who are only interested in playing with their friends but otherwise don't give a damned about the single-player campaign. If it were a 360 we would get one copy and be done with it, but there are two potential sales sitting on the fence right here. I know I would have upgraded to Vista AND bought Halo 2 along with a friend of mine, but nope. High res textures are pretty, I guess. :mad:

Sorry for ranting.
 
Online is great, and if this is a "Windows Live" title, then it will be officially Vista only, but people always do "unofficial" things to do as well. :)
 
The trick is that the kb/m is more effective than the controller. The gameplay started off with a controller in mind. Gears gameplay is pretty slow and players can eat a lot of damage, but headshots can speed this up. Kb/m makes headshots at these speeds trivial, so moving anywhere becomes much more dangerous when players use Kb/m instead of controllers. Running across the same distances on the different platforms will play out differently. Also the powerful, and accurate guns are now much more powerful relative to the shotgun and rifle starting weapons. Pistols as well. The value of guns have changed since players can make accurate guns more effective with a mouse than with a keyboard, while inaccurate guns don't see as much of a bonus in effectiveness.

Try to image CS but everybody's walk button is taped down permanently.
 
It's still a console port. Which games of that type have been great on PC? Halo? lol come on. ...

How about Knights of the Old Republic, or Jade Empire?

Good Companies make good ports. I think Epic deserves the benefit of the doubt.
 
have a feeling its only going to be playable with a 8800gts or 2900xt or higher.

why would that be, if it plays on the xbox 360 and looks brilliant? PCs can play at lower resolutions with less detail too, so you'll be able to scale it up and down for worse and better hardware.
 
The trick is that the kb/m is more effective than the controller. The gameplay started off with a controller in mind. Gears gameplay is pretty slow and players can eat a lot of damage, but headshots can speed this up. Kb/m makes headshots at these speeds trivial, so moving anywhere becomes much more dangerous when players use Kb/m instead of controllers. Running across the same distances on the different platforms will play out differently. Also the powerful, and accurate guns are now much more powerful relative to the shotgun and rifle starting weapons. Pistols as well. The value of guns have changed since players can make accurate guns more effective with a mouse than with a keyboard, while inaccurate guns don't see as much of a bonus in effectiveness.

Try to image CS but everybody's walk button is taped down permanently.
I found headshots surprisingly easy to pull off with the controller since the characters in the game are so large.
 
Methinks Gears will be a fabulous benchmark. Think of how we will all laugh and smile as we ponder the pathetic DX10 scores on our 2900/8800 vid cards. Good times.
 
Right now, for me, Gears of War counts as one of those funny little games that console people seem to think is the Second Coming, but is a complete nonentity in my world (PC, can't justify spending anywhere from $800-$1000 not including a TV on something purely for games).

I'm looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about, and comparing it to, oh, Doom 3, Painkiller, Quake 2 and all my old favourites. Halo (PC) was, for me a yawnfest, I wondered what on earth the fuss was about.
 
Right now, for me, Gears of War counts as one of those funny little games that console people seem to think is the Second Coming, but is a complete nonentity in my world (PC, can't justify spending anywhere from $800-$1000 not including a TV on something purely for games).

I'm looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about, and comparing it to, oh, Doom 3, Painkiller, Quake 2 and all my old favourites. Halo (PC) was, for me a yawnfest, I wondered what on earth the fuss was about.

Personally I thought Painkiller and Doom3 were pedestrian and pure boredom. Halo pc and console sucked too :)

Gears is a great game.
 
I love this guy's response: "omg I thought this was exclusive to 360 wtf microsoft, how can you call this exclusive now. I hate microsoft because they always bring these so called "exclusive" franchises to pc, and try and make pc more like xbox. WTF is the point of owning a 360 for it's exclusive titles if they are just going to come out for pc anyway."

It's kind of like, why not release it for PC? He complains it will not be exclusive anymore, but many people who already have it for 360, and most people will not be able to play it anyway. I can't even imagine the requirements for it. Not that it'll matter, since I built my rig just now with Crysis in mind which will be more intensive anyway.
 
...What is there to know? It's going to be UT2004, but it's going to look nicer.

No. They're rescaling everything, some of the weapons have changed (mini, bio, etc) and the movement will be slightly different (no dodge jump, not as floaty, etc.) It's going to be a very different feeling than 2004.
 
why would that be, if it plays on the xbox 360 and looks brilliant? PCs can play at lower resolutions with less detail too, so you'll be able to scale it up and down for worse and better hardware.

Halo 2 ran on the xbox nice. Halo 2 on the PC runs horrible. I had to overclock to PRO speeds on my 1950GT just to get Anisotropic Filtering working at a decent framerate. Generally (at least with the halo series) when developers port games from consoles to PC, they don't re-optimize the engines they were built on for the PC. Yes, you can scale it down to low resolutions with no AA and AF. But what would be the point of that? It would look better on your console, because you're sitting 5-10 feet away, and don't notice there is no AA. On the PC, however, when you sit a foot away, you tend to notice the fine details.
 
Halo 2 ran on the xbox nice. Halo 2 on the PC runs horrible. I had to overclock to PRO speeds on my 1950GT just to get Anisotropic Filtering working at a decent framerate. Generally (at least with the halo series) when developers port games from consoles to PC, they don't re-optimize the engines they were built on for the PC. Yes, you can scale it down to low resolutions with no AA and AF. But what would be the point of that? It would look better on your console, because you're sitting 5-10 feet away, and don't notice there is no AA. On the PC, however, when you sit a foot away, you tend to notice the fine details.

Whoever does bungie's ports (if its bungie, I dunno) does a terrible job. Gears uses UE3, and Epic has an awesome track record.
 
If it does come to PC I hope it is not a straight port. I am going thru the 360 version now and I dont see what all the hype has been about. The graphics are good but nothing has matched what I have seen on the PC and the gameplay is cluncky and arcade like. It does have some decent gameplay though, but I dont think it lives up to the hype.
 
Halo 2 ran on the xbox nice. Halo 2 on the PC runs horrible. I had to overclock to PRO speeds on my 1950GT just to get Anisotropic Filtering working at a decent framerate. Generally (at least with the halo series) when developers port games from consoles to PC, they don't re-optimize the engines they were built on for the PC. Yes, you can scale it down to low resolutions with no AA and AF. But what would be the point of that? It would look better on your console, because you're sitting 5-10 feet away, and don't notice there is no AA. On the PC, however, when you sit a foot away, you tend to notice the fine details.

They don't have to spend a lot of effort on the port because Unreal Engine III was designed with both consoles and the PC in mind.
 
Back
Top