gateway troubles

twogunpete

n00b
ok! i am at my wits end.i have been wiping and re-installing windows on my friends gateway model :gt5411e ,and after everything installs with the factory restore disk a program pops up from gateway that says it needs to update files on the pc.i went ahead and let it do its thing (one of the files it updated was the bios) when it reboots all i get is 3 beeps from the mobo. after some searching i found that it means that the first 64k memory failed ,so i tried resetiing c-mos.i followed the instuctions on gateways site and still get the beeps. has anyone else had this problem ? am i not leaving the jumper on long enough ? i know you guys can fix this for me.:D

edit: i also tried removing the battery for 15 min.

I had that issue with an Intel p3 815 board.

I would try to reflash the bios using the floppy method VS the gateway update.

If that doesnt work... then i would have to say that the bios is currupt... unless some else on the forum says other wise. If thats the case then i would get in contact with Gateway.

As for as Gateways updates go... I always used the manf drivers eg. Nvidia, Intel ect.

I try to stay way from Gateway, Dell ect. updates... Gateways website should have the bios file and flash program for DL.

thanks. i was hoping i could avoid that , because it doesnt have a floppy drive in it.oh well guess i will have to take the one out of mine.

edit:i looked on the mobo to find a model number and the only thing i see that remotely looks like one is this: E210882
so i did a search on the mobo and it shows the same number for Dell...so now im clueless , it says LGA 775 next too the cpu socket.

ok ,bios flash by floppy doesnt work , i have taken the ram out and made sure everything was in right ,took the battery out for 1 hr and all it does is beep 3 times and thats it. i am lost.could that gateway update utility have messed this up this bad?

Back