• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gateway GT5628 - Random shut downs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citizen86

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 20, 2007
Messages
4,572
Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone has had issues with this computer, it's a quad-core Q6600 systemf from Gateway, it's nice, has 3 gigs of ram, etc.... but the problem I just started having today is once in a while it sounds like a fan will kick into overdrive and after 2 or 3 seconds the computer shuts down.

Thinking it might be the CPU overheating I downloaded Core Temp 0.95.4 to see what the temps are, and they don't seem to go over 45C, right now hovering around 38C. The thing is that it's not like I'm doing anything too intensive on it right now, some tabs open in Firefox, Thunderbird open, as well as Photoshop and Illustrator, but it's not doing anything overly intensive, I have some big pics I'm cutting and pasting but that's about it, nothing that is making the CPU choke.

It's happened about 3 or 4 times just today, so I'm not sure what the problem is. I'll continue to monitor temps, but so far I'm not exactly sure what the problem could be. Any input/ideas appreciated.
 
Ok, so I had Core Temp open, the fan spun up, and it clicked off, and temps were under 40C. Strange I thought, maybe it's not the CPU, I took off the case and let it run again. Around an hour later, fan spins up high. I jump to the ground to check which fan it is. It's the CPU Heatsink. Damnit, what's going on?
 
I'm going to bump this ancient thread. I've inherited this computer from work, it was okay for a year or two, but it recently started doing this again, CPU fan speeds up, and the computer clicks off.

I would assume this is a motherboard problem, so I am thinking of getting a new motherboard for it. The Q6600 will still perform admirably for my needs. I am thinking of picking up a P43 w/ DDR3, perhaps picking up 8gb of RAM, and either a GTS450 or 5770.. I plan on doing regular office work with it, some Blender work, along with Photoshop and Illustrator, etc. Some gaming as well, although I don't play games like I used to.

Do the problems I've had with this computer though seem like a motherboard issue to everyone?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top