Gateway 9210 2.8Ghz Cel, 256 DDR, 80 gig $199

Austin

[H]ard|Gawd
Go to servers, 9210, uncheck all the BS options, select instant $300 off, came to $268 with shipping and tax for me. not bad at all. Found on techbargains.

fricken awsome deal man total came to 228.

Special Offer: $300 instant savings (limited time promotion - Limit one per customer) ........[ -US$300.00]
Operating System: No operating system included
Server Management: Gateway Systems Manager
Processor: (1) Intel® Celeron® D Processor w/ 2.80 GHz, 533MHz FSB and 256K L2 cache
Memory: 256MB 400MHz DDR ECC SDRAM (1x256MB module)
Hard Drive: (1) 80GB SATA 7200rpm Fixed Hard Drive
Standard Disk Controller: Integrated Dual-Port Serial ATA Controller (supports embedded RAID 0/1)
RAID Level: Please choose a RAID Level
Floppy Drive: 3.5" 1.44MB diskette drive
Optical Drive: 20x/48x IDE CD-ROM
Extended and On-site Service Programs: 1Yr parts, labor, HW tech support, on-site -- next business day, limited warranty
Gateway Enterprise Products Guarantee: If for any reason you aren't completely satisfied with your Gateway® Server or Storage product, you can return it within 90 days of purchase
Monitor: Not Selected
Video: Integrated PCI Graphics - 8MB
Keyboard and Mouse: 104+ keyboard and PS/2 Mouse and Gateway Mouse Pad
Power Supply: 350 Watt Power Supply
Modem: Modem not selected
Network Card: Integrated 10/100 and GbE Ethernet
Part Number: 1008453
Server Installation Suite: Deployment services available, please contact your sales person for custom pricing

Can this be used as a destop?

Meaning...

1) Install Windows or Linspire
2) Use non ECC Ram
3) AGP Slot?
4) Profit

EDIT: This Deal Ends August 10th according to another website.

1) Install Windows or Linspire - sure can
2) Use non ECC Ram - no idea, but would like to know if someone can dig that up
3) AGP Slot? - no, but it has 3 64bit pci slots
4) Profit - you mean ebaying it? Go for it, but I doubt you will make too much.

I posted this on Monday -

It only has PCI-x slots -no agp or pci-e 16x

8 meg video
You can use regular DDR RAM
ITS A SERVER- not a desktop!

EDIT- Austin - you are too fast for me!

That's pretty damn cheap for a mobo with PCI-X + processor + RAM + case + PS. All you'd need is a couple of 500GB SATA drives, a sweet PCI-X RAID card, and you'd have a very nice home storage server for all your media needs. Hmmm.

Any idea how this thing would perform in that capacity? I'm thinking H264 streaming around the house.

I am looking for a cheap desktop and I dont do any gaming. Guess I could just get a good pci video card with DVI. Does anyone know if htere are issues in 2d with using a pci card. Dvd playback, etc.

Sweet. Then I am going to pull the trigger on this box, slap in a gig or cheap ddr and a decent PCI vid card and have cheap desktop.

Austin said:
....4) Profit - you mean ebaying it? Go for it, but I doubt you will make too much.

Someone doesn't watch enough South Park.

Underpants Gnomes Theory of Commerce.

1) Steal Underpants
2) ?
3) Profit

is this deal still [H]ot if I swap out the MOBO with my Abit IC7-G.
it's just sitting on a shelf collecting dust atm.

hrmmm. the gf will kill me if I get another compy.

edit:
hey wait, is this a Socket 478 or LGA775 system?

roninblade said:
no they work good for dvd playback, checkout newegg, u can grab the top of the line PCI card for around $60, probebly will be the 9600

/edit heres a good card for this:

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16814130188

Anyone kno if this server would make a good linux system?
does this rig even have pci slots? I'm only seeing pci-x, a totally different animal.

some pci slots would actually come in handy on a rig like this

ahh forget it, I'd rather get a Venice 3700+ for around the same price.

I know the specs sheet sucks but if you go to the Product Tour you can zoom in on the mobo. The top slot (about 2" above the rest of them) is PCI, the rest support PCI-X. Also of note is that the top slot could use a dual slot card (if you can find one in PCI) because there is nothing taking up the next position.

Give it a look, it also says that it has "4 PCI slots (Three support PCI-X) for high bandwidth..."

Hows this...

9210 (so wish it was 90210)
CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) ($86.99)

SAPPHIRE RADEON 7000 64M PCI ($31.00)

But what about Audio? Can you mod a PCI-X slot to use a PCI sound card? Or video card?

Or seeing that there is onboard graphics sound could go to the lone PCI slot, but would the onboard video support 1680x1050 (need to use the VGA slot on my 2005fpw). And would it be terrible for just web browsing/text/video/mp3 collection?

ninethreeeleven said:
But what about Audio? Can you mod a PCI-X slot to use a PCI sound card? Or video card?
PCI-X can use standard 32bit PCI cards. PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI...

Do people really not already know that? Wow :eek:

can i throw an ide hard drive in there? it only lists sata channels
can i put non ecc ram in there?

schnell said:
can i throw an ide hard drive in there? it only lists sata channels
can i put non ecc ram in there?

sweet marry mother of god, yes its a computer when have they stoped putting ide on motherboards,

DriveEuro said:
PCI-X can use standard 32bit PCI cards. PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI...

Do people really not already know that? Wow :eek:

Waaaiiiitt WHAT?!?! PCI-X, the short slots, are backward compatible with regular PCI? So if you have a PCI-X 1.0 slot that's VERY short, you can still stick a sound blaster Audigy 2 ZS in it and it'd work?!?!

Jelic said:
Waaaiiiitt WHAT?!?! PCI-X, the short slots, are backward compatible with regular PCI? So if you have a PCI-X 1.0 slot that's VERY short, you can still stick a sound blaster Audigy 2 ZS in it and it'd work?!?!

... PCI-E is the short-name for PCI Express, not PCI-X. The short little ones are PCI-E 1x slots.

PCI-X has been around a LONG time primarily in the high-end workstation and server markets, it looks like an enlongated PCI slot and is usually backwards compatible.

Hah oops, seems like I got confused there, thanks for clearing that up.

Back