gaming router + long range through walls

DirtyApe

Gawd
hi everyone,
ive owned a wireless router before and the experience wasnt good. it was a d-link router and ill never use one of their products again. im looking for a gaming router that is easy to configure and do port forwarding. i would like it to have the DMZ funtionality also. im also looking for a pcmcia card for laptop use that good range even through walls inside a house.

Wireless has come a long way but maybe you're asking too much if you expect it to do really long range through walls...it's still not _that_ good. Have you looked into a range extender or bridge to extend your range a bit?

Almost every router can port forward and do DMZ, it's just a matter of finding the other features you want. D-Link really isn't that bad either, but I'm sorry you had the bad experience. If you are willing to re-try them I believe they have a special gaming router that has gotten great reviews...

thx for the info.
i think the problem with the dlink router was just it being a cheap model and it had some bad firmware. i think the wireless sucked cuz it was the 802.11b standard instead of the g standard. ill definately look into that dlink gaming router if its as good as you say. have any thoughts on a pcmcia wireless card? i dont care about much juice itll suck cuz the laptop will be use for gaming about 90% of the time and plugged into a socket unless its being moved.

I've got a linksys 802.11g (WRT54G) wireless router that works great. If you're worried about signal strength, you could always run linux on it and boost the signal strength from the default of 24 up to about 89 I think. Also, if you really got crazy you could always build a directional antenna for it out of some wire mesh and a few other supplies.

i really cant get a repeater because i dont have any place to put it. to give you an idea of what the signal has to go through to reach my room: first it has to go through the bathroom wall then the other side of the bathroom then across a hall, through the hall closet, then to my desk which is about 30 feet away if there werent any walls or obstructions.

sorry about your poor d-link experience... I got the new d-link gaming router and love it. it works really well (i'm 3 rooms and a floor away from the router right now in a concrete dorm with 10/15 bars) and was easy to set up. having both .11b and .11g is also helpful for friends who want in on your network. not to mention the gigabit LAN connections.

give it a shot

redheadfred said:
sorry about your poor d-link experience... I got the new d-link gaming router and love it. it works really well (i'm 3 rooms and a floor away from the router right now in a concrete dorm with 10/15 bars) and was easy to set up. having both .11b and .11g is also helpful for friends who want in on your network. not to mention the gigabit LAN connections.

give it a shot

same here.. only had that "lookback" issue but they fixed it in the last update... everything is perfect now.. I can just forget about it. Gigabit is cool too.

yup, that would be the router. I also got it from newegg, as usual. that pcmcia card looks like it would be a good match. I didn't have to get one (built-in), but it would work well it seems. good luck and let us know how it turns out!

"i think the wireless sucked cuz it was the 802.11b standard instead of the g standard"

Irrelevant unless you needed the extra bandwidth. .11b would be no less dependable or have any less coverage, all things being equal (radios, output level, radiators etc..), than a .11g WLAN. Only benefit from a technology standpoint is bandwidth.

That card will work fine with that AP/Router your looking at.

You could try one of those "Pre-N" routers... from all the reviews... the one advantage that you do gain from going with them is coverage is supposedly amazing compared to the run of the mill b/g routers.

Back