$50 - Thermaltake Frio CPU cooler
$175 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
$130 - Fractal Design Define XL R2
====
$1340 Grand Total (Before Tax/Shipping)

===============================================
UPDATES BELOW
===============================================

Looking to upgrade my gaming rig, and planning on spending anywhere from $800-$1200 for upcoming releases like COD/BF. I'm willing to spend more if the performance scales well with the dollars spent.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
This rig will just be used for gaming on a single 24" 1920x1200 monitor. Might plug in a second, but just for browsing the web when I don't feel like using the Macbook.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Ideally keeping the budget under $1200 with shipping/tax, but willing to scale based on performance/dollar.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Austin, TX (USA)

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, MOBO, RAM, Case, GPU, CPU cooler (air-cooled, but open to water), PSU, SSD.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
1920x1200 monitor, mouse, keyboard.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Most likely assuming it makes sense.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
24" 1920x1200 (possibly two when not gaming).

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
I'm ready to buy today, but can hold out if it's better to wait for deals and piece it together as I go. Hoping to have it all within the next month or so.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
SATA 6GB/s is a must as I want to go SSD. USB 3.0 would be nice to have, and SLI/Crossfire only if you feel I should do dual video card.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, I will be using Windows 8 64 bit which I already own.

Additional note:
- I hope to keep this as my only gaming rig for up to 3 years with minor upgrades at most (video card/RAM).
- I'm hoping for a case/rig that is as silent as possible (at least when not gaming), and as small of a footprint as possible without sacrificing performance, or upping the price too much
-Some thoughts on components:
PSU: Thinking of going with this Seasonic SS-660XP2 660W Platinum for $80 after rebate.
RAM: Looking to go with at least 16GB as I've always ended up doubling RAM in old rigs over time, and while I'm pretty sure 8GB will do today, I'm sure I'll want more later.
Storage: I am looking to get 256GB SSD, likely Samsung 840pro but open to others. May put a larger spin disk in the case if space permits, but I have plenty sitting around not in use already.

Thanks in advance for your help, and I will keep the first post updated with purchases & updates.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
-Some thoughts on components:
PSU: Thinking of going with this Seasonic SS-660XP2 660W Platinum for $80 after rebate.
We generally don't factor in MIR around here until they're actually in your hands for obvious reasons. With that said, with that $45 discount, that PSU is a steal at $100 shipped. I highly recommend buying that part tonight if you can. It's a fantastic deal for a solid PSU at $100.

Also, how far are you away from these Microcenter locations?:
http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/houston.aspx
http://www.microcenter.com/site/stores/richardson.aspx

Though honestly, I'd recommend waiting another two, maybe three, weeks for the BF4 multiplayer performance tests to come out before planning a build. The BF4 beta raised a lot of questions about the hardware needed to get the most performance possible from BF4.

As for cases, I recommend taking a look at these quiet cases in the meantime:
$85 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Titanium Grey ATX Case
$90 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Black Pearl ATX Case
$95 - Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White ATX Case
$100 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Arctic White ATX Case
$110 - Antec P280 ATX Case
$130 - Corsair Obsidian Series 550D ATX Case

Hi Dangman,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to go ahead and purchase the PSU now.

I'm quite far from Microcenter, but I will be near the Richardson location around Thanksgiving week.

Good to know. I'm mostly looking forward to COD, but I'm sure BF4 will come along at some point as well. I can hold off for a few weeks on the build if that is recommended though.

I've had an eye on the Fractal full towers in the past for a file server build, but never purchased. I'm leaning towards the R4 from your list, but would something closer to the size of the $55 - Fractal Design Node 304 be too limited in space to safely permit a gaming rig build?

Thanks for the help!

Good to know. I'm mostly looking forward to COD, but I'm sure BF4 will come along at some point as well. I can hold off for a few weeks on the build if that is recommended though.
Well, do you want a build aimed at BF4 or COD? If BF4, wait a few weeks. If COD:Ghosts, just build now. The COD series hasn't been as heavy duty performance games as the BF series.
but would something closer to the size of the $55 - Fractal Design Node 304 be too limited in space to safely permit a gaming rig build?
Not too limited. However, it's definitely going to cost a bit more and would require a different PSU as the Seasonic is a tad too long for that case.

I'll hold off and make this build for BF4 as it seems to be the best benchmark, and it's only a few weeks out.

Okay, I guess the smaller cases are out of the question then since I've already ordered that PSU. I thought that case fit all standard ATX PSUs; pardon my ignorance.

Thanks!

I'll hold off and make this build for BF4 as it seems to be the best benchmark, and it's only a few weeks out.

Okay, I guess the smaller cases are out of the question then since I've already ordered that PSU. I thought that case fit all standard ATX PSUs; pardon my ignorance.

Thanks!
That case does support standard ATX PSUs. However, that comes at the cost of GPU lengths. In other words, the longer the PSU, the shorter the GPU will have to be if you want an easier time of routing cables and such.

All right,. see you in a few weeks!

Get it. It's a gamble but I think it'll work out.

Okay, thanks for the quick response. Went with a single; if you would recommend SLI, let me know and I'll grab a second.

Thanks!

Okay, thanks for the quick response. Went with a single; if you would recommend SLI, let me know and I'll grab a second.

Thanks!

Nah, not unless you raised your budget by another $326.

The deal is dead now, but I would have raised my budget if the performance scales well with the increase.

Another solid deal popped up on my radar today for a motherboard. It's LGA1155 socket, so I couldn't do a slightly more energy efficient Haswell build, but from my understanding the Ivy Bridge performs just as well as Haswell.

$80 - MSI Z77A-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (Before $20 MIR)

Ivy Bridge is actually more energy efficient (albeit slightly more) than Haswell.

You're right, however, in your assessment that Haswell doesn't provide a huge performance boost over Ivy Bridge.

Another solid deal popped up on my radar today for a motherboard. It's LGA1155 socket, so I couldn't do a slightly more energy efficient Haswell build, but from my understanding the Ivy Bridge performs just as well as Haswell.

$80 - MSI Z77A-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (Before $20 MIR)

It's a good motherboard but it does have two kinda small caveats that you should be aware of:
1) It's an ok overclocker. If you were aiming for as high as overclock as reasonably possible, I would look at more higher-end motherboards. But if you're fine with a moderate OC, it's a good choice
2) It would lock you in with an ATX case. Earlier you wanted to go as small as possible. With that said, if you have plans for SLI, then I would just stick with ATX for the most optimal cooling setup possible for a SLI setup.

if you don't mind any of that, get that motherboard. It's a good motherboard for the money.

So I passed on the mobo, but it looks like the majority of BF4 performance reviews haven't shown much beyond the norm of the GPU performing most of the work beyond having a quad core/thread machine. I could be wrong though, just getting antsy and wanting to complete the build. Is that the general consensus, or is it still too soon to say?

Cheers,
Cliff

So I passed on the mobo, but it looks like the majority of BF4 performance reviews haven't shown much beyond the norm of the GPU performing most of the work beyond having a quad core/thread machine. I could be wrong though, just getting antsy and wanting to complete the build. Is that the general consensus, or is it still too soon to say?

Cheers,
Cliff

Those reviews you read were of the single player game. The multi-player performance will be different. Same exact thing happened with BF3.

So too soon to say.

Not as extensive of a review as Tom's Hardware, and other sites' single player, but finally came across a post-release multiplayer review HERE

After reading that, I'm happy with my GPU purchase.

Not as extensive of a review as Tom's Hardware, and other sites' single player, but finally came across a post-release multiplayer review HERE

After reading that, I'm happy with my GPU purchase.

Not tooo bad but I want some independent confirmation first.

I'm fiending for some Ghost & BF4. I've got both installed on my old rig, but sadly they are unplayable. I think I'm ready to do a build now, even if the BF4 multiplayer isn't 100% benched.

How much are you willing to spend for everything else you need?

Are you ready to buy everything this weekend?

I'm ready to buy now. I'm willing to spend around $1000 on the remaining pieces; more less if I can justify a performance/$.

@Dangman - I would love to get your advice as well with regard to what you currently know about BF4.

Sorry, what parts have you bought already? Also, how much of your budget is left for the remaining parts?

Purchased:
PSU: $100 - Seasonic SS-660XP2 660W, 80 PLUS PLATINUM Full Modular
GPU: $355 EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Dual FTW 4GB

Remaining budget is around $1000

$220 - Intel Core i5-4670K
$278 - MSI Z87-G45 GAMING and Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB DDR3 1600 combo
$63 - WD Blue 1TB HDD
$15 - LG GH24NS95 SATA DVD burner (included 25% discount promo code EMCWWXN34, ends 11/13)
$120 - Corsair 550D
=====
$921 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

I can't vouch for the overclocking performance of the MSI Z87-G45 compared to its sibling, the Z87-GD65 -- the latter is known to be the better overclocker -- but you can overclock with it. If you want the "sure thing," be prepared to pay a little more for it.

Don't consider the Samsung 840 EVO a downgrade from the 840 Pro. It's still a fast SSD.

Hi tiraides,

Thanks so much for the response. I'm thinking I'll go with the Z87-GD65 for the slight OC boost. I'm going to remove the backup drive and dvd drive as I have quite a few of both laying around. As far as the case goes, I think I'm going to go with the Fractal Design Define R4 or R2 XL assuming it can fit the mobo. I plan on adding a second GPU within the year, and am lightly considering getting into water cooling both CPU & GPU(s) in the near future as well because I've always wanted to try it out, and I would like a strong performer that is as close to silent as possible.

So what I have as of now:
$220 - Intel Core i5-4670K
$310 - MIS Z87-GD65 & Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB DDR3 1600 combo
$130 - Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Just going to assume the higher priced one)
====
$885 - Subtotal

Purchased:
$100 - Seasonic SS-660XP2 660W, 80 PLUS PLATINUM Full Modular
$355 - EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Dual FTW 4GB
====
$1340 Grand Total (Before Tax/Shipping)

Why are you talking SLI now? Why not wait until after you get your entire rig up and running and you play a few rounds of multiplayer to see how it holds up?

That's the game plan. I just keep my gaming rigs for a long time, so I foresee either SLI'ing or replacing the card down the road, grant it that could be two years or so out.

But you mentioned adding another GTX 770 "within the year."

What are you planning that would justify such a need? All of the benchmarks I've seen on BF4 so far (admittedly, all single-player) showed that one GTX 770 is more than enough for 1920x1200.

Maybe "within a year" isn't accurate. If newer games come out down the line, I would like to have the option to either SLI or just upgrade the card depending on how far out that is, and which is a more cost-effective measure.

Honestly, I would not recommend SLI with either of the two cases you've chosen. Remember that they're optimized for low noise, not cooling. 'The lack of a side-fan hurts the cooling ability of those cases for multi-GPU setups.

Back