Gaming/Photo/Video editing rig

csrazvan

n00b
Hi guys,

I'm trying to build a new rig but after a couple of years outside the hardware scene i'm completely out of the loop and looking at all the shiny(cool) toys makes me dizzy.
So if you could give me some constructive criticism/advice on my rig it would be extremely helpful.

One note before I begin : I live in Romania so some of the products that you might recommend are hard to find or they take a while to get here. I have linked the components to newegg so you can take a quick look at them just in case.

Specs:
Proc: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5 GHz box
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK [secondary option:Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ]
Memory: I'm aiming at some 16Gb kit from Corsair with CL7 but these are hard to find. Do I need to go as low as CL7 or can I settle for something higher? I'll mainly play on the rig and do some photo/video editing. Also coding but for that I won't need a lot of muscle power.
Power:Corsair Professional Series HX750 80 PLUS Gold
Case: torn between Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus and CM Storm Enforcer
Cooling:Noctua NH-D14
Video:either Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti OC WindForce 2X 2GB DDR5 192-bit or if it's worth it Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC WindForce 3X 2GB DDR5 256-bit

The pain points for me at the moment are the mobo and memory so if you have any advice on that I'd appreciate it. Anyway, comments and opinions are most welcome.

Thank you,
Razvan

Memory, CAS 9 is common, I'm right now buying 32GB and the 4x8 kits are even CAS 10.

You have a nice CPU, will be a nice build. I have gone 3570K, if i will be doing much work that would benefit from the 3770K HT i will replace it later.

I myself have bought the Asus P8Z77-V.

If you can go GTX 670 it will be so faster. (i will try even SLI)

You should answer the questions from the sticky, whats your work and whats your gaming resolution?

Ups. My bad.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, photoshop, adobe premiere, development.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
1500 euro/~2000 USD

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Romania

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
processor/motherboard/memory/power/case/cooling/video board

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
2 x 1TB Hdd, 1 SSD vertex 3.

6) Will you be overclocking?

yes

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920x1200 24 inch

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Next week.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0?SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
None of the above.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

64 bit Windows 7.

We are similar thinking on our PC's. You will have a nice PC. If you can go GTX 670 and if you like have nicer graphics, if you don't care and want safe some money than go 660.

I have yesterday bought AX850 Corsair. (in 850W the AX is the Seasonic X850, don't know about 750, but the AX could be a little better).

i think I will go with the GTX 670. The difference in $$$ saved isn't that big. However no SLI for me :).

good luck with your build and I hope you'll be happy with it.

Mobo wise, the Asus mobo you chose is a solid choice.

RAM wise, it doesn't matter what the timings or the speed of the RAM as current Intel platforms do not benefit at all from those specs. You'll be fine with CAS 9 and even CAS 11 RAM.

OS wise, what specific Windows 7 OS do you have? Home Premium? Pro?

PSU wise, since you're not going to do SLI, you'll be fine with the 650W version of that Corsair PSU.

Case wise, I'd go for the HAF 912 Plus out of those two options. However I recommend taking a look at the following cases:
$80 - Corsair Carbide Series 300R ATX Case
$95 - Corsair Carbide Series 400R ATX Case
$100 - Antec 1100 ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Case
$119 - Corsair Carbide Series 500R ATX Case
$130 - Lian Li PC-7HX Black Aluminum ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Arctic White ATX Case
$140 - Corsair Vengeance Series C70 Gunmetal Black ATX Case

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the feedback so far guys. much appreciated.

Danny I think I have windows 7 ultimate. I'll take a look at the case suggestions you've made.

Back