gaming on a tv???

dcninja

n00b
I have a 27" 1080p monitor for gaming currently and it's very nice.

I also have right next to my pc in the living room, a 42" 1080p monitor and it's also very nice. I hook my pc to it and I do poorly all the time... is it just too big for how close I'm sitting? Anyone else game on a large format display like that? For some reason I have the hardest time with it and I really, really, would like to use the big tv since it's well, bigger.

Could be afew things... If you are too close you need to move your eyes too much... If you are too far then you lose detail in the Image... This is according to THX... THX Standards for 1080p uses a formula to find a proper viewing distance for HDTV...
Size of TV in Inches divided by 0.82... This gives the viewing distance in Inches... For a 42 Inch TV that would be 51.21 Inches (4.2 Feet)...
Easier method is 42 inch HDTV = 4.2 Feet and 27 Inch HDTV = 2.7 Feet... See how that works...
Granted this is just a basic rule for viewing distance...

I game on my seiki 50 inch 4k display from around 3-3.5 feet away from it and do great.

Maybe your TV has a lot of input lag? My seiki has 1 frame of input lag so at 120 or 240 Hz this is pretty much non-existent. Most TV's I have used have far too much input lag to make them good for gaming. The seiki is an exception.

Maybe your TV has a lot of input lag? My seiki has 1 frame of input lag so at 120 or 240 Hz this is pretty much non-existent. Most TV's I have used have far too much input lag to make them good for gaming. The seiki is an exception.
While 120Hz is true native on the SEIKI, I've wondered about the SEIKI's TV ability to display 240Hz.

Questions:
Does 240Hz still frame-skip on the SEIKI? If so, does 240Hz have less input lag than 120Hz, even though it's only displaying 120 real frames?
Basically, a 240Hz frame-skipped mode essentialy behaves as a input-lag-reduced 120 Hz mode? e.g. only 4ms of input lag? (plus pixel transition time)

I recommend a Panasonic Plasma TV any of the midrange to high end 1080p will NOT get burn in. They are amazing and plasma can display well in excess of 8 billion colors and the black levels will ANNIHILATE any LED monitor.

I regularly HDMI my laptop with a GTX680M card in it. Games absolutely blow any other monitor away. I play on my 50"Panasonic VT25 (Top of the line model from 2011).

While 120Hz is true native on the SEIKI, I've wondered about the SEIKI's TV ability to display 240Hz.

Questions:
Does 240Hz still frame-skip on the SEIKI? If so, does 240Hz have less input lag than 120Hz, even though it's only displaying 120 real frames?
Basically, a 240Hz frame-skipped mode essentialy behaves as a input-lag-reduced 120 Hz mode? e.g. only 4ms of input lag? (plus pixel transition time)

It will only display 120Hz and it will frame skip @ 240Hz. However; at 240Hz the input lag feels completely non-existent where as 1080p @ 120Hz I can feel a very slight input lag. I am guessing its just one frame/refresh of input lag that the scaler handles and doubling the rate to the scaler reduces the input LAG so actually I sometimes find myself running 720p just to get that ultra responsive feel. I am very sensitive to input lag on displays.

It will only display 120Hz and it will frame skip @ 240Hz. However; at 240Hz the input lag feels completely non-existent where as 1080p @ 120Hz I can feel a very slight input lag. I am guessing its just one frame/refresh of input lag that the scaler handles and doubling the rate to the scaler reduces the input LAG so actually I sometimes find myself running 720p just to get that ultra responsive feel. I am very sensitive to input lag on displays.
It will be great when LCD displays finally support native 240Hz.
It will actually make a difference for some people who have the GPU's to run 240fps@240Hz (e.g. Geforce 780 on older Source engine games).
It will almost feel like enabling LightBoost (without needing to use flicker).

LightBoost=100% strobing is roughly equivalent in motion blur to a flickerfree 400fps@400Hz
LightBoost=10% strobing is roughly equivalent in motion blur to a flickerfree 700fps@700Hz
LB100% is 1/400sec strobes, and LB10% is 1/700sec strobes (see graph). Mathematically and scientifically, for "clean" strobes (one flicker per refresh, no repeat flickers, framerate=Hz motion), eye-tracking-based motion blur is identical at 1/X second strobed = Xfps@XHz flickerfree (scientific references) because the visible length of the refresh is the same.

So native 240Hz sample-and-hold won't be fully there, but it will come noticeably closer to the motion clarity of LightBoost LCD displays (but without the input lag).
It's great to know that the SEIKI 240Hz@720p mode like an input-lag-reduced 120Hz -- essentially accelerated delivery of 120fps frames to the display, delivered in 1/240sec. A mere 4 milliseconds of input lag!

Last edited:
Your problem is almost certainly input lag. Most TVs have anywhere from 30-100ms. Compare this to the average PC display of 10-15ms, with better gaming monitors being sub 5ms.

120hz on my Panasonic Plasma is around 15ms input lag and feels pretty responsive for a TV (I can't measure it but this is based on comparison to other displays).

Good gravy man! Are you blind!?!?!

Not at all. That is simply the biggest desk I could find/fit in my room. I use a 22 inch 4k display at work and I can read that from 2.5 feet away with X-windows set at 75 DPI so super small fonts. Something most people would have a lot of trouble with. I can actually use the seiki from 8-9 feet away if I had to.

Not at all. That is simply the biggest desk I could find/fit in my room. I use a 22 inch 4k display at work and I can read that from 2.5 feet away with X-windows set at 75 DPI so super small fonts. Something most people would have a lot of trouble with. I can actually use the seiki from 8-9 feet away if I had to.
At the moment my eyes are no less than 3.5 feet from my two 23" monitors. Your 50" is exponentially larger and you're sitting the same distance away. And of course you could use the 50" seiki from 8-9 feet away if you had, haha. In a living room you sit 9-12 feet from the TV. Well, you probably don't.

You sure you didn't mean 3-3.5 meters? ;)

3.5ft from a 23" is quite far. I sit around 2ft away from dual 27" and 4ft away from my 46" TV. One should want their display to fill their peripheral vision for the most immersive viewing experience

3.5ft from a 23" is quite far. I sit around 2ft away from dual 27" and 4ft away from my 46" TV. One should want their display to fill their peripheral vision for the most immersive viewing experience
Chalk it up to personal preference, but that seems way too damn close. But if I had a even a 30" display on my desk maybe I'd feel differently. Do you guys have problem with your nose smudging the screen or breath fogging it up? ;)

You would not even be able to read my 22 inch monitor from 3.5 feet I bet you. Its 3840x2400 on a 22 inch, 204 PPI with text size smaller than windows default on linux.

I have really small text on my 50 inch seiki as well which I can read from 7-9 feet away ok but if you believe those charts about 4k I would need to be 2.5 feet away to see it.

Back