Gaming mouse, worth it?

Lucifercy

n00b
Is it worth to buy $40 gaming mouse like the Steel series?
Can it last 2 year or more of intense left clicking? Coz' as for now I'm only using cheap $5 mouse and only within two weeks the left click startin to fail, always double clicking it self while I'm just one clicking it.

Gaming mouse are made exactly to have the longest lifetime as possible.. They have quality fabrication materials. And are made for daily intense hours of playtime clicking like hell... So yes, it worth... Not only for the quality but for really impressive precission over standard cheap mices also great comfort, weight, adjustable DPI.. Etc... It worth..

My gaming mouse has been going strong for 4+ years so yeah I would say its worth it.

'Gaming mice' are definitely worth it. You don't necessarily have to get something with tons of 'leet' LEDs, cool decals and unnecessary buttons(not to say they aren't convenient at times) to get the extra performance/features. Something like an older G400 or a G500 would be nice improvement.

Macro-able mouse keys are very nice in my opinion. Worth the extra cost in itself. Great for games and even better for macro-ing browser functions and browser-based scripts(refresh, previous/next page, and then actual next/back in forums w/ greasemonkey). Very nice for productivity based applications too.

I looked up when I purchased my two Logitech G5's which I use to this day. One was purchased in 12/06 and the other in 7/09. Both still work flawlessly.

I wouldnt go back to "standard" mice after using gaming mice. I like having a bigger mouse that fits my hands and you just cant find that in cheaper mice. Definitely make the investment if you can find something that feels comfortable for you.

High quality mice are better than low quality mice. "Gaming" mice are mostly gimmicks. I use a Mionix NAOS 3200. Super comfortable for me.

10,000 DPI mice are gimmicks. Extra macro-able keys that are laid out well along the mouse are not gimmicks and give you a competitive advantage in both games and productivity software. That is why "gaming mice" are better than mice.

In terms of competitive video gaming, I firmly believe having a an excellent control scheme is half the battle and can determine a fight before it even starts. Gaming mice are a key component in a good control scheme for FPS and MMO's.

My logitech G500 which roughly costed me $40 was definitely worth it over my old generic microsoft mouse with little to no additional buttons and just felt much weaker. So in my opinion I think gaming mouses are worth it as long as you're not paying too much for them I suppose. They are definitely much better than your generic mouses everyone has.

I kind of feel the same way with keyboards too, I love my mechanical keyboard to death over your generic rubber keyboards everyone and their mother's have. Typing just feels much slicker and smoother in my opinion and I couldn't go back to non-mechanical keyboards.

But yeah, that's just my opinion.

I have been through several of the razer mice and finally jumped to a RAT 5 unit. I have been using it since it came out a few years back.....looks new and you can adjust the size to fit your palm

10,000 DPI mice are gimmicks. Extra macro-able keys that are laid out well along the mouse are not gimmicks and give you a competitive advantage in both games and productivity software. That is why "gaming mice" are better than mice.

In terms of competitive video gaming, I firmly believe having a an excellent control scheme is half the battle and can determine a fight before it even starts. Gaming mice are a key component in a good control scheme for FPS and MMO's.

For some first person shooters you can actually take advantage of super high DPI.
I use 7,200 DPI in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare and Rising Storm which both use UE3. You can set the sensitivity to 1 using the console then crank the DPI up on your mouse for ultra smooth and accurate mouse movement. I can easily tell how much more precision I have over 1200 DPI and having a higher sensitivity in game. However, it is really tough to use the 2D menus when the DPI is so high so the DPI switching buttons come in very handy.

I use 1200 DPI for the desktop and games with top down perspectives like StarCraft 2, as well as Source engine based shooters like CS:GO and TF2 that don't take in as accurate mouse movement.

Last edited:
Personally, I have nothing but a bad taste left in my mouth by so called "gaming mice".

I owned a Razer DeathAdder for a couple of years, then it started malfunctioning so I got another. Well, I quickly discovered that the new DeathAdder would "pick" at my nice steelseries mouse pad. Unacceptable.

I switched back to my 10+-year-old Microsoft IntelliMouse because I love it, and because I didn't have any money at the time. Recently, it started malfunctioning as well (double left-clicking).

So, I started doing research. I already knew that I wanted to stay away from Razer (I feel like their build quality is crappy anyways, especially given the absurd price), so I looked to Logitech.

In my research, it seemed to me that the glory days of Logitech mice had long since passed. The G5 was apparently the god of all mice, and its successor (the G500) seemed to be not to bad, either (though not as good as the G5).

However, after that, it seems like many of Logitech's mice have taken a rather sharp drop in quality. I can personally attest to that in my experience with the G700. Though I can't comment on how the build quality has changed over the years with Logitech mice, what I can say is that I am thoroughly unimpressed with the G700. The build quality feels low and the plastic feels cheap, the side buttons are mushy, it's awkward to pick up, and the mouse wheel is horrid. The left mouse wheel click is much harder to perform than the right mouse wheel click, and that is a discrepancy that I can't overlook.

I was under the impression that "hardforum" was for people like me who have high standards and an eye for detail, but it seems that many people in this thread are buying into the crap that the market is selling. I don't mean to bash anyone, but I'm just disappointed. I wish I could find a mouse that feels like an upgrade from the IntelliMouse, but the G700 feels the opposite. And for probably over 10x the price, that seems pretty unbelievable.

Of course, my opinion is entirely subjective.

If I feel like I could compete in the market, I would really like to design a mouse that brings back some of that old build quality and doesn't cost over 50 bucks. But, seeing as how I have absolutely no idea how to go about that, I'm sure that it will never happen. I wish someone would take the reigns and start up a kickstarter for something like this.

bought a second-hand mx518 and it lasted my 6 years, now im using its successor the mx400 and its amazing.

yes, gaming mice are worth it

bought a second-hand mx518 and it lasted my 6 years, now im using its successor the mx400 and its amazing.

Personally, I have nothing but a bad taste left in my mouth by so called "gaming mice".

I owned a Razer DeathAdder for a couple of years, then it started malfunctioning so I got another. Well, I quickly discovered that the new DeathAdder would "pick" at my nice steelseries mouse pad. Unacceptable.

I switched back to my 10+-year-old Microsoft IntelliMouse because I love it, and because I didn't have any money at the time. Recently, it started malfunctioning as well (double left-clicking).

So, I started doing research. I already knew that I wanted to stay away from Razer (I feel like their build quality is crappy anyways, especially given the absurd price), so I looked to Logitech.

In my research, it seemed to me that the glory days of Logitech mice had long since passed. The G5 was apparently the god of all mice, and its successor (the G500) seemed to be not to bad, either (though not as good as the G5).

However, after that, it seems like many of Logitech's mice have taken a rather sharp drop in quality. I can personally attest to that in my experience with the G700. Though I can't comment on how the build quality has changed over the years with Logitech mice, what I can say is that I am thoroughly unimpressed with the G700. The build quality feels low and the plastic feels cheap, the side buttons are mushy, it's awkward to pick up, and the mouse wheel is horrid. The left mouse wheel click is much harder to perform than the right mouse wheel click, and that is a discrepancy that I can't overlook.

I was under the impression that "hardforum" was for people like me who have high standards and an eye for detail, but it seems that many people in this thread are buying into the crap that the market is selling. I don't mean to bash anyone, but I'm just disappointed. I wish I could find a mouse that feels like an upgrade from the IntelliMouse, but the G700 feels the opposite. And for probably over 10x the price, that seems pretty unbelievable.

If I feel like I could compete in the market, I would really like to design a mouse that brings back some of that old build quality and doesn't cost over 50 bucks. But, seeing as how I have absolutely no idea how to go about that, I'm sure that it will never happen. I wish someone would take the reigns and start up a kickstarter for something like this.
Razer has always had notoriously bad build quality.

I don't really see why you think Logitech took a sharp drop in quality. They still seem just as good as they have always been to me. The plastic on the G700 doesn't feel cheap at all to me. I especially don't see how you think it can feel cheap compared to an intellimouse.

The G700 is only so expensive because it is wireless. If you aren't using it wireless I don't know why you even bought it. Logitech basically has the only good gaming grade wireless mice. All the others seem to suffer from occasional interference, lossy signals, or lag.
I actually use all but one of the buttons on my G700s.
I do agree that the side buttons aren't great. They would be much better as clicky buttons like the main left and right click, or something else that just clicks better than the plastic mush. I don't agree on the mouse wheel though. It is the best wheel IMO and very high quality, and the lock/unlock smooth scroll features is awesome.
Also the durability is actually very good. I've never had problems with my G700 or G700s although I have with older Logitech products, but Logitech has extremely good customer service and just sends you replacements free of charge if they break.

I've owned nothing but Logitech's for the past 10 - 12 years. SteelSeries get good marks from people I talk to. I wouldn't own a Razer - too many people complain about the build quality.

I have a G9x which I don't really like quite as much as my old G5. Always looking for the next big thing in mice. The G600 is awfully tempting, but the high back-end scares me off. It might be fine, but I need to find one in a store I can demo first.

I felt the exact opposite towards the G400. Too light and the scroll wheel was overly dampened. The rubberized texture was a nice upgrade though.

G5 was never the god tier gaming mouse. You are probably thinking of the original MX 518 before the last revision. Also trust me, Logitech mice are made iron man suit tough. I can't tell you the number of times I chucked my G9x out of anger and it still kept working fine without problems.

I've had 2 G700 mice fail with the left click issue, 1 click sometimes results in a double click, and gets progressively more common. Makes it difficult to use windows since you might be trying to select a bunch of files and then one selection becomes a double click and all the files start to open. Or you plan on clicking and dragging a file and it opens instead.
Each one failed after about a year.
Logitech replaced both with no issue, and I fixed the failed ones myself.
Just need to clean and re-tension the small spring in the micro switch.

Oh, and it isn't limited to the the gaming mice, my MX1000's, MX Revolution, and Performance MX all did it, and Logitech replaced all of the ones under warranty.
The Revolution wasn't under warranty at the time It failed, so they offered me a 50% off code for any mouse I wanted, so I chose a G700 and paid $50 for it.
I will only buy Logitech keyboards and mice since they have excellent customer support.

Last edited:
Been using a G9 since it came out, MX518 v2 for uni and work and Habu/Intellimouse for some old school fps fragging.

All of which have lasted me years with nothing more replaced other than the feet pads.

Lovin my G600... takes time to learn all the combinations you can use, and teach your thumb how to use the side panel, but it now feels more intuitive and seems faster than using keybinds. For MMOs Naga or G600 (though I prefer G600 due to size and ergonomics) are just great.

Gaming Mice are an absolute must.

G5 - Great first mouse, but I hated the cable.
G7 - Same great taste, no cable.
G700 - The mouse of the Gods. I will never use anything else. It is divine.

MS Trackball Explorer, im on my third since '99. Once you go track, you neva' go back. :)
Yes, they are worth it.

I've owned nothing but Logitech's for the past 10 - 12 years.

That's like saying you've driven nothing but Toyota Corollas for the past 10-12 years and then claiming they're the best.

Logitech is NOT where it's at.

That's like saying you've driven nothing but Toyota Corollas for the past 10-12 years and then claiming they're the best.

Logitech is NOT where it's at.

You, sir, are a fool.

The Logitech G700 is the greatest mouse ever invented.

I will take it and my HD 600's to the grave with me.

I'm currently using my third DeathAdder since 2006. It's form fits my hand the best out of any mouse I've used.

I had a Razer Mamba, but the shape was too long and the batteries were a big hassle. I've had various Logitech's, but they've been nothing special. The G700 was pretty nice, but I don't like having anywhere near that many buttons on my mouse.

My next mouse will be the SteelSeries Sensei.

You, sir, are a fool.

Wouldn't exactly say the G700 is the greatest mouse ever invented as well.

The God status would probably belong to the original MS Intellimouse and the MX518. I've had 3 G700's fail on me in the past and it was related with the receiver not working properly and dead laser sensor.

I would say some of the people that claim Razer has bad build quality either have never used a Razer mouse, or have not used one in the past 5 years (there is no need to reply that you have and still think so, since I am pointing the finger at people that claim so and have not even used them or used them recently). Honestly, like everything else, perception of quality is mostly personal experience. I have used several Razer mice (Deathadder Black, Mamba, Mamba 2012, Naga Epic, and now Deathadder 2013) and none of them ever gave me problems or had any hint of "build quality issues". The reason I started going with Razer mice was because for a while they were the only major mouse maker that also supported Macs (Logitech supported Macs, but not with their gaming mice until recently). Before that I used Logitech mice and that was the only time I experienced "build quality issues" mostly with the double-left click issue.

As for the G700, I like the idea of it, but the gravel like texture is definitely not for me. I don't usually by mice for the buttons or some of the "feature", but for how it feels in my hand and if I can use it for long periods of time. This is another reason Razer has been the choice for me (Mionix is also comfortable, but no Mac support). Steelseries would be an option, but they only make two different shapes of mice now (Ikari Laser would be my choice, but appears to be discontinued or being phased out).

So I guess the purpose for my post is to counter the "anti-Razer" posts as their mice are just as good as the "others" and they have plenty to choose from... I recommend (if you can afford to do so), buy a couple (or one at a time) from a place with a good return policy to try them out. When it comes to mice, it's hard to gauge how you are going to like it until you try it for a few days. Even holding one tethered at a store is usually not enough. Get it from a store you can easily return to and that way you can try several out.

I've purchased several Razer keyboard and mouses in my quest for the perfect peripherels and will generally spare no expense in this regard, up to and including a $130 mouse. In comparison with Logitech, my experience is that Razer's products are indeed much inferior in build quality, software, and customer service.

The only nod I'd give to Razer is that people might prefer the form factor of the some of their mice, despite the aforementioned concerns. Logitech has its issues too, especially given its recent LGS software debacle, but it's still, in my mind, a much better company with better products. I wish there was more innovation in gaming mice in general and I'd happily welcome more companies/start-ups on the scene.

Gaming mice are definitely worth it. Not only because they provide extra customizable buttons that will help out in the game once you get used to them, but also due to their overall quality. A good gaming mouse will last for a long time, no matter how hard you treat it. I still have my good old Logitech MX518 after all these years - the colors have wore off in some places, but it functions properly :)

I'm not that fond of wireless gaming mice, but if you don't like cables I suppose they are ok.

Also do not forget to buy a proper gamepad along with your new mouse.

Still in love with my MX510. Works like the day i bought it, gotta be at least 8 years old now. I don't know what i'm going to do if this thing dies on me.

I really hate those free rolling mouse wheels a lot of mice have now. I want a nice clicky scroll wheel.

You, sir, are a fool.

I will take it and my HD 600's to the grave with me.

The g700, I felt the lag in Quake, the sensor was mech, and the cable was bleh.

It's in the closet, back to the deathadder. The g700 is cool to show off your wallet, but it was bad enough to make me swear off logitech (after using mx500,510,518,500). It's a crap mouse and it really shows in games like quake Live. I guess if you play wow it's workable, but then so is a ball mouse at that point.

In case people don't know by now.. I am a CM Storm rep so this is just a quick explanation on things we've been working on to help users better understand gaming mice:

It's important note that sensor and grip types are very important when purchasing a gaming mouse.

You can read up on grip types here: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/cmuniversity/mice.php

As for sensors, it really depends on the type of games you play.
If you're an FPS gamer, you are going to see the best benefit from an OPTICAL MOUSE. The most popular optical sensor is the Avago 3090 (found on CM Storm Recon or Spawn). This is the purist sensor and really pushed by the gaming mouse enthusiasts who are looking for a flawless experience. Other sensors add in prediction and angle snapping which also can be detrimental to your aim. Opticals are also going to be more beneficial with a textured mouse surface too (like the Power-RX).

Laser sensors are great for any game that doesn't require extreme accuracy - so SCII, LoL, MMOs, etc. The "best" sensor available for that is the Avago 9800 (used in CM Storm Havoc and Sentinel Advance II). These provide adjustable DPIs and allows you to track on any type of surface.

We'll be adding more info on the sensors to the Cooler Master University link I posted above, but hope this helps you.

The g700, I felt the lag in Quake, the sensor was mech, and the cable was bleh.

It's in the closet, back to the deathadder. The g700 is cool to show off your wallet, but it was bad enough to make me swear off logitech (after using mx500,510,518,500). It's a crap mouse and it really shows in games like quake Live. I guess if you play wow it's workable, but then so is a ball mouse at that point.
The G700 may have its issues but it does not have any perceivable lag provided one sets it up properly (i.e. not on Power Saving mode and a low polling rate).

If you are using a laser mouse, and a very heavy one at that for Quake Live then you are doing it wrong in the first place.

If there is one thing to bitch about logitech setpoint drivers though is there shoddy HID drivers in Device manager that fuck up (i.e. glitch fps lag) certain games. Disabling the HID's will work but usually lose Setpoint functionality and features such as the program no longer recognising the mouse.

Back