Gaming moments you want back..best of the best..

2 more additions:

1) Everquest I, by far the mother of all current MMO's, nothing like exploring, grinding, and training the Japanese players on Veeshan server with Fires of Heaven.

2) Day of the Tentacle

UO was the greatest MMO. EQ wasn't even close.

Then you must have an even worse opinion of WoW.

UO was by far the most intersting and balanced for online play MMO, at least early on. EQ just drew me in more as a min/max type player. The world was insanely brutal and required coordinated efforts to progress past a certain level. Seeing a perfectly executed 72 man raid was a thing of beauty.

-Aeris death in FFVII
-ending of Uncharted 2
-beating "One to be Feared" on the first try in FFXI
-beating the challenge of the gods on God of War
-all night starcraft LAN parties
-Unreal Tournament in class in high school played off of a single copy of the game on the schools share drive
-Talking to Sovereign for the first time in Mass Effect
-Xenosaga Episode 1, every time Albedo spoke

to the MMO discussion, 72 man raids sound awesome, though I never got into EQ, I'm so sick of modern MMOs catering almost exclusively to solo or small party play...seriously kill the purpose of MMOs, I'd rather play skyrim if I'm going to play by myself

1. Loading Commander Keen on my 386 and showing that it wasnt all Nintendo and SEGA
2. Loading up Wolf3d.exe and being amazed!
3. Doom loading up
4. Quake on a network
5. HalfLife2 on my brand new rig in 2004

DS1 - leaving Stonebridge & hearing that soundtrack for the first time - I remember staying stationary for some time & just listening :)

So many but...

1. Unreal/Quake - Both of my first FPS games.
2. Counterstrike - Played many hours and was in a clan.
3. Half-Life 1 & 2 - Incredible game and I still play it here and there.
4. Heretic 2 - One game nobody seems to remember but was awesome for its time.
5. Goldeneye - Many days and nights in a blur playing this with my highschool friends 10+ years ago.
6. Mario Kart for N64 - Classic
7. Battlefield series - Especially 2142. That game is the best MP game I've ever played. So polished. Most games since have been a poorly made console ports.
8. Jedi Knight Academy

Many more but those are some of my favorites.
Current games: BF3, Skyrim, Uncharted, Batman Arkham City, Assassin's Creed... I never sleep

I'll have to say EQ. Not only did I have years of fun on a "blue" server, but years of fun trolling all of the people on the server message board. :) But I'd have to say switching to the pvp server Sullon Zek was so much fun. You could literally ruin people's days on that game. lol

Fallout 3 - This game still gives me the same feeling I had when I first got out of Vault 101, but to forget everything about the Wasteland would be awesome.

Mechwarrior 2: Ghost bear expansion. The first time the hanger bay doors open up into a blinding snowstorm .... or anything mechwarrior for that matter.

- Landed a fighter plane on top of one of those enormous planes in BF1942. Literally flew over it, landed on top, and demo packed it.

- Live stream of COD2 match I played, we were basically universally predicted to lose. I was really nervous at first but hit a groove and started obliterating people. It was CTF and I was on defense at one point. I left my post without telling anyone, snuck across the entire map, grabbed their flag, battled my way back to base and capped. I would later single-handedly hold our base, killing the entire opposing team multiple times. The announcer called me gay.

I think I know someone who might still have the video of it, it's hilarious.

- Somehow went on to make the top Onslaught team in UT04, we beat some really, really fucking good people like Team Kaizen. I remember looking at maps with people for hours and coming up with some truly hilarious strategies. One shitty map had one point in the middle, it was a constant struggle over it. This majestic motherfucker spawned at your base:

http://images.wikia.com/egamia/images/d/d9/UT2004_scorpion.jpg

Rather than attack with it, if you angled it perfectly, you could its sticky laser across the map and hit the point. It did a LOT of damage if you hit with it and it rendered the point practically impossible to cap if you didn't kill the car.

We got unlucky and lost in finals. Prize was like a 5900fx or some shit when it was brand new and cost like $400 or something. 2nd place was an Nvidia T-shirt which was arguably faster anyway.

Playing Medal Of Honor on PS2 when it first came out on a rainy day and finishing it in one sitting because I did not yet own memory cards for the PS2. Also Max Payne. Playing that with my bro was better than any movie. First CoD. Me and my bro were very competitive and would switch off each round and always be first place.

playing my first ever game of ut2k3. It was a DM on antalus and I didnt get a single kill, But i was hooked like a crackwhore.
I know I will never get that feeling back again

- Landed a fighter plane on top of one of those enormous planes in BF1942. Literally flew over it, landed on top, and demo packed it.

We always tried to get as many guys as possible to ride on the wings. :D

Half-Life1, 2 and their mods(mainly CS, DMC, and TS), WoW, Quake 4, those were good times in gaming for me.

Shooting rats in Theme Hospital
Clicking a sheep until it exploded for the first time in WC2
Clicking the orc boat in WC@ until the captain pukes (something like that)
16 player LAN Halo matches for money. Listening to the other team yell "who the fuck is YOUR PENIS? Asshole killed me again"
Getting legitimately cash flow positive in SimCity (any of them).
Rocket Skates and Level 0 in Toejam & Earl oh and those fucking bees!
The WC3 Blizzard created TD that came with the game. I THink it was like war on the ancients or something, but when you had a full 8 person team... that map was awesome.

The WC3 Blizzard created TD that came with the game.

All glorious moments.

Seeing a PacMan game for the first time in like 1980 and going “huh? I don’t get it – too complicated!”
Finding out who Exodus was in Ultima 3
Becoming the Avatar in Ultima 4
Punching someone completely out of the ring so they flew off screen in NES Ring King
First time I fired up Quake 1 with a 3dfx Voodoo 1 card
Hearing “I’m going to rip your head off and shit down your neck” but not really paying attention to it, only to see Duke actually do it after a boss fight.
Half Life 2 Ravenholm, & Half Life 2 seeing a “strider”
Having my Wookie companion kill their lifelong friend in KotoR
Killing 5 at once with Zues playing Dota

oh man I bring that up to every mass effect/dragon age player that has never played KotoR

Watching my dad fight Jafar in the original Prince of Persia
Waking up at 5AM to beat Super Mario World before it had to go back to the video rental place
Proximity Mines on Facility in Goldeneye 007
12 player HL1: Deathmatch local LAN

Last edited:
I've had some very awesome, very memorable times with UO, Goldeneye, Secret Wepons of the Luftwaffe, Combat, Warlords (both old atari games)... though I don't exactly wish to go back to them now.

Other very memorable games like Morrowind and Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, KOTOR 1/2, Baldur's Gate2 I'll come back to.

Boting in Diablo 2 (pindleskin runs) and selling everything on Ebay
loving the snipping rifle in Unreal Tournament 1
spending countless hours playing WOW in beta stage... once it was released EVERYONE was spending countless hours playing it

Playing Tradewars on local BBS's

Being 11 or 12 and spending days tweaking my 2400 baud modem init string to get Z modem to resume my kings quest 2 warez download that took me 2 weeks to complete, pkunzipping it to a pile of floppies and having it install and run! Not to mention the relentless config.sys and autoexec.bat tweaking needed to free up enough memory to run it. Wewt!

Finally getting strike commander (I think thats what it was called, it was an F16 flight sim) to run on my 486sx33

wing commander 1

Dragon Quest 1 on NES

Aces of the pacific!

Doom! (and then bringing it to school and putting it on every single pc I could get my hands on, hours of playing in class against each other while the teachers had no clue none of us were paying attention to them :D )

Thief 1 with my dual 3dfx cards (voodoo 2's ?)

Quake 1 ~ <3 Trent Reznors soundtrack for that game ~ and then getting a cable modem and murdering all the dialup peeps with my leet 150ping.

Half life, and counterstrike from the beginning beta

The intro to Prey ~ when "Dont fear the reaper" starts playing and the aliens invade.

Hmmm, I could go on forever it seems....

For me, it was playing the original Myst and 11th Hour. Keep in mind this was pre Windows 95, so seeing a game from a first person perspective was pretty amazing on a PC at the time (who else remembers tweaking CONFIG.SYS AND AUTOEXEC.BAT to play games properly in DOS?). Makes me wish I still had my 486.

Shooting rats in Theme Hospital
16 player LAN Halo matches for money. Listening to the other team yell "who the fuck is YOUR PENIS? Asshole killed me again"
Getting legitimately cash flow positive in SimCity (any of them).
The WC3 Blizzard created TD that came with the game. I THink it was like war on the ancients or something, but when you had a full 8 person team... that map was awesome.
Yeah, defense of the ancients (what all this other dota stuff is based on league of legends etc). That was fantastic back in the day. I remember using that old as hell Kali service to find matches.

Playing Lunar the Silver Star on Sega CD w/ a buddy. We setup two televisions next to each other with two Sega CD systems and played through the game.

Being 9 or so and playing Dragon Warrior 4 with my buddy on the other line playing through Mega Man 2. We were on the phone for probably 8 hours just sitting there playing. Havent seen or heard from that friend in probably 20 years but I remember that fondly.

My first Lineage 2 castle siege, those were completely epic and so much fun.

I couldnt afford the full version of UT2004 and I played the onslaught demo online over and over and over again. Probably the most fun competitive FPS experience I ever had.

When I was in college I had a few roomates and a buddy who worked overnights. We would get up super early and he would have to drag me out of my bed to go out and play Halo 2 deathmatch. We did that for a good portion of the summer once a week and it was a memorable experience for me.

I also remember going to quite a few lans with people from hardforum and genmay over the years. LANs in general have kind of died out (slowly seeing some resurgence) but they were pretty huge back then. Going to a house or some basement to game away and talk about computers and graphics cards was always fun.

Anybody remember the Insurgency mod?

1984 Staying up all night at my friends house when they got an Atari. Asteroids and Pac Man FTW!

1989: Playing Metroid on the NES and the first time I killed the mother brain. Playing through Legend of Zelda the first time.

1995: SNES: F-Zero, Filter's Short Bus in the CD player and a little herbal influence. Metal Warriors for NES ate up a lot of time too.

1998: 4 player Goldeneye MP in our barracks hallway. Mortal Combat also.

1999: Final Fantasy 7. Wanting to gut Sephiroth with a rusty axe.

2001: UT99, giant maps, low grav, bin slayer rifles and custom skins. Once you start down the UT path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Runner up: Quake 3 Arena

2003: First COD, fighting my way into the buildings and bashing prone snipers in Pavlov. Trapping the opposing team's spawn in the ruins on Carentan and then showering them with nades. Being in a clan with two of the top 10 ranked servers at the time.

2004: First time playing through HL2. I stayed up all night then called stick into work to keep playing.
Also, First time playing Doom 3.
At night.
With the lights off.

2005 and up: BF2. First game I ever bought on release day. Slaughtering people on the ground with a squad of friends in the Blackhawk. (before they nerfed it) SAK infantry only servers. Robert Reed's House Of Aids Jalalabad server.

Haven't really had anything particularly memorable since then. Plenty of fun games, but nothing like the above.

HOLY SHIT I REMEMBER THAT SERVER :D Sooo much fun on Jalalalalalalabad!

UT Instagib...I owned that game mode for about a year!!

Seeing the gfx in Farcry and getting blown away

Playing wow when it was first released. It was my first mmo and i was blown away by it. I still remember looking at some weapon vendor at lv 5 and seeing the white weapon and saying to myself how awsome is that thing. Then seeing the 1 gold price tag and thinking how expensive it was lol

TFC - After playing HL1 and loving the shit out of it, TFC started to become popular. I was young and impressionable, and that game gave me extremely good twitch reflexes.

BF 1942 - Coral Sea. Planes. 64 players. Game over.

Total Annihilation - To date the best RTS I've played. (I love base building)

Eve Online - 7 years later I'm still playing. I've taken 3 breaks so far, and I always have to go back. No other game, in any genre, has even a fraction of the depth and complexity.

HL2: DM and CS:S, back around in 06. I never owned as much as I did in Source mods. In those times, most people still hadn't figure out how to play those properly, so it was rather easy to play good. In HL2: DM, it went like... sprint jump + spring jump SMG spray, down. Then turn back, spring + jump, Grav nade, clack clack clack BOOM, down. One after the other in Killbox maps; topping 10-20 player servers. It was so satisfactory.

I remember when I was atleast 8 or 9, watching my big brother play Amazon.

I'd always try to play it, but he would hide the puzzle wheel that came with the game:mad:

Playing wow when it was first released. It was my first mmo and i was blown away by it. I still remember looking at some weapon vendor at lv 5 and seeing the white weapon and saying to myself how awsome is that thing. Then seeing the 1 gold price tag and thinking how expensive it was lol

I know that feeling. I remember hitting 60. I mined so much iron in Arathi for my epic mount. So so much....

Back