Gaming mATX board FINALLY!

Anyone using onboard video? I am for a few weeks before getting something better but I'm glad it is already better than my 9600XT! Except the video quality seems worse. I have a KVM switch and only looking at the desktop from old setup to new, the 9600XT shows a clearer image. Anyone else noticed?

i'm starting to get reluctant on buying this board now since this is the second board that's gone coocoo on me. well... considering it was a return/open box item from fry's i should have expected no less. the onboard video is not working correctly. i'm not oc'n at all, and once again i can't install an os because i cant get into cd boot because i can't hit a key to boot from cd. anyone else having problems with board not recognizing usb keyboards between bios boot, and windows load? specs once again:

celeron 356
noctua nh-u9
700w seasonic m12
250gb seagate 7200.10
80gb wd 8mb special
nec 3550a
2gb ddr2 teamgroup
7900gt evga ko

alright... time to test it with 2gb stt ram i just got. might have to buy a keyboard with ps2. doh!

i'm starting to get reluctant on buying this board now since this is the second board that's gone coocoo on me. well... considering it was a return/open box item from fry's i should have expected no less. the onboard video is not working correctly. i'm not oc'n at all, and once again i can't install an os because i cant get into cd boot because i can't hit a key to boot from cd. anyone else having problems with board not recognizing usb keyboards between bios boot, and windows load? specs once again:

alright... time to test it with 2gb stt ram i just got. might have to buy a keyboard with ps2. doh!

I had the exact same problem when my board was working. When I'd use my keyboard in the PS2 slots it'd work fine for the most part, in USB however it wouldn't let me do anything more than get into the BIOS (could get there, but wouldn't do anything when it got in) until I got into Windows.

Oddly I had the same problem with my old ABIT board...

According to the changelog it adds 'CPU Multiplier option'. I'm guessing that menas you can lower the multi on a chip? :confused:

Edit: Also, Gary says the AT mATX Roundup Review will be posted next week sometime between April 3rd & 5th in his most recent post about it.

According to the changelog it adds 'CPU Multiplier option'. I'm guessing that menas you can lower the multi on a chip? :confused:

Yep. For most C2Ds it'll give you an option between 6 and the default multiplier of your CPU. Pretty handy for trying to find the FSB limit on higher-multiplier (e.g. E4300) CPUs.

They have not added the 1:1 memory sync?

I know it is in the modded but I'm asking in the newer BIOS from abit.

computer003nw4.jpg

New and old :)
computer014bw4.jpg

starting to build it case is Lian Li PC-A05

nice test fit and starting to do cable managment gotta pick up some right angle sata connectors next well that and the rest of the parts

i was looking at this ram.... its an awsome price is it any good?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098

also some one please recomend me a good psu... nothing to crazy... but something that could handle and 8800gtx or R600 in the future

I have the exact problem. Text is not clear using onboard video at any resolution. I too am using a switch between my old system and the new beast and the video clarity, which is most noticeable in text definition is far worse with the Fidel1ty board over a generic board in the old system. Any ideas?

Anyone using onboard video? I am for a few weeks before getting something better but I'm glad it is already better than my 9600XT! Except the video quality seems worse. I have a KVM switch and only looking at the desktop from old setup to new, the 9600XT shows a clearer image. Anyone else noticed?

I have the exact problem. Text is not clear using onboard video at any resolution. I too am using a switch between my old system and the new beast and the video clarity, which is most noticeable in text definition is far worse with the Fidel1ty board over a generic board in the old system. Any ideas?

Well the KVM don't help but I hooked it up directly without much improvement. Definitly my AiW 9600XT show me a crisp desktop, not the Xpress 1250 onboard video. RAMDAC quality?

Oh well, this is until I get a decent card. I'm waiting for AMD-ATI to show up with their DX10 offer so price should go down...

No TV for me...

Also, my prefered resolution is 1600x1200 and when I try 1024x768, no problem, text is crisp. So I guess it is the RAMDAC that is not of good quality.

And this on a CRT so I have no idea what is gives on a LCD.

also some one please recomend me a good psu... nothing to crazy... but something that could handle and 8800gtx or R600 in the future

these used to be d9, but probably elipida or something like that now... they dont clock as well as they used to. so pretty much the same as the gskills? $149 /w free sony 512mb usb flash memory. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144062

corsairs... c5 but uhh... yah... they're corsairs. $129 after $40mir http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590

patriot $125 after $25mir http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4954981?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

uhh... clubit has the patriot extremes (4-4-4-12) for $140 after $50mir, but i cant seem to link the actual product anymore... you can still search for it on clubit and add it though. these used to be d9 also, but dont know what they are now. http://www.clubit.com/search.cfm?keyword=2gb+ddr2&cat=all

cant go wrong with mushkin $140 after $35mir http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146118

buffalo firestix... lol another pricedrop $160 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820150054

oops you asked about that kit, not for more... i'll stop there...

as for power supply... i used to be a nut, but never owned a 8800gtx/gts so havent done research on it. i've got a seasonic m12 700 right now and i'm sure that'd do the trick but that might be out of the range you wanted. i'm thinking the 600 m12 should be fine, but silverstone has been throwin out some nice ones. cheaper would have to go towards thermaltake toughpowers? high end gamexstreams/epsilons seem good too, but then again they are very pricey? yah my knowledge has gone down the drain on psu's so i'm gonna stop there. ;p

these used to be d9, but probably elipida or something like that now... they dont clock as well as they used to. so pretty much the same as the gskills? $149 /w free sony 512mb usb flash memory. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144062

corsairs... c5 but uhh... yah... they're corsairs. $129 after $40mir http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590

patriot $125 after $25mir http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4954981?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

uhh... clubit has the patriot extremes (4-4-4-12) for $140 after $50mir, but i cant seem to link the actual product anymore... you can still search for it on clubit and add it though. these used to be d9 also, but dont know what they are now. http://www.clubit.com/search.cfm?keyword=2gb+ddr2&cat=all

cant go wrong with mushkin $140 after $35mir http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146118

buffalo firestix... lol another pricedrop $160 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820150054

oops you asked about that kit, not for more... i'll stop there...

as for power supply... i used to be a nut, but never owned a 8800gtx/gts so havent done research on it. i've got a seasonic m12 700 right now and i'm sure that'd do the trick but that might be out of the range you wanted. i'm thinking the 600 m12 should be fine, but silverstone has been throwin out some nice ones. cheaper would have to go towards thermaltake toughpowers? high end gamexstreams/epsilons seem good too, but then again they are very pricey? yah my knowledge has gone down the drain on psu's so i'm gonna stop there. ;p

wow thanks for all that... i dont think i want to bother iwth mail-in rebates though but maybe ill check them out

as for a PSU.. i want to keep it at around $100 something in the 500w range would be enough for a single 8800 one dvd drive and 1 sata hd.... i hope

as for a PSU.. i want to keep it at around $100 something in the 500w range would be enough for a single 8800 one dvd drive and 1 sata hd.... i hope

Corsair HX520W, excellent, modular and looks good, oh you don't have a window so... :)

celeron 356
noctua nh-u9
700w seasonic m12
250gb seagate 7200.10
80gb wd 8mb special
nec 3550a
2gb ddr2 teamgroup
7900gt evga ko

Run into similar problems. Bios recognition of USB Keyboards works correctly only with the additional USB ports on the board.

i want to know what is the popular hsf when you use this board (Abit F-I90HD). what is the quietest hsf for this board?

Here is the Noctua NH-U9F that I installed in my Microfly. I had to mod it a little bit, but I got it in. As you can see it was a pretty tight fit with the PSU. It cools pretty good, and it's super quite.

dsc00982vu5.jpg

dsc00974gz1.jpg

dsc00980eu8.jpg

067qw6.jpg

For anyone that's RMA'd their board recently: Did ABIT send you a tracking number or anything of the sort? I opted for cross shipping it and I've heard no word otherwise about if it has shipped or not and I paid the deposit last week.

Hi all first post, but its a big one

ok im on my second board now and i had problems with it from the start. The first OS i tried to install was win XP x64. during the installation the screen would go black for about 5 seconds on about 3 occasions but it did finish installing. then on the first boot after the windows scrolling time bar, just when you should get the welcome or log in screen the system would hang with a black screen.

i tried installing several times with XP64 with many different bios settings, but i got the same result. so then i tried XP 32 SP1 and it worked ok with only one crash so far while using super_PI and watching a movie at the same time. today though it failed Prime 95 overnight.

primefail.jpg

then lots of programms started to fail,
but i dont think its my RAM. im using the 512mb version memory passes the chipset test(im using the 2x1gb version of the geil GX21GB6400DC)

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonxp...sk/memory.html

My first board died using OCZ the rev1 OCZ2p8002gk. But this new board is dying slowly again in a similar way.

so then later that day........

ok, now things are very strange indeed. the board kept crashing after about 30 seconds in XP. Then it refused to load XP at all, and everytime it would run chkdsk reboot, then freeze just before XP finished loading.

so i tryed installing XP on a different HD and it would not complete, saying that files were missing off the XP cd.

So i tryed one stick of RAM and got the same results with XP. Tried Memtest86 v1.65 (in ubuntu boot menu) and it gave me 100s of memory errors. So i put back both sticks of RAM and ran memtest86 again no errors at all.....wtf is going on....

i talk to you now because after the last memtest i tried to install XP one last time and it worked without asking for missing files and without crashing (so Far)

this board is like jaclye and hyde. Its not the HD, or the Mem what is it?

one interesting thing is that Ubuntu reports "boot I/O error" and refuses to load.

anyone got any ideas what is causing these computer fits.

PS i also had the USB keyboard problems.

computer003nw4.jpg

New and old :)
computer014bw4.jpg

starting to build it case is Lian Li PC-A05

nice test fit and starting to do cable managment gotta pick up some right angle sata connectors next well that and the rest of the parts

I have that same LCD, nice.

Given some of the deaths associated with this board...I think I'd stay away from the modded BIOS for now...

I don't think it's the BIOS, I've been running the modded one since day 1 that I've had the board, and switched last night to the newest modded one.

I posted a while back about the failed boards and what settings everyone was using, to underwhelming result.

j1979 can you post all your settings you ran/run on in both systems?

How about if your F-I90HD did die you post the following and we try to see if there is any commonality:

PSU:
RAM:
CPU:
BIOS version:
Cooling:
Overclock - External clock (fsb):
DRAM Spec (SYNC, DDR 333, etc):
CPU Core Voltage:
DDR2 Voltage:
NB 1.2 Voltage:
NB 1.8 Voltage:
Approx. hours/days mobo ran before dying:
Any unusual temps or other:
Where bought from:

man, dead and dying boards are creeping me out. Can we have any positive comments from some1 than has runned the board over 2 weeks without any single problems.That would ease my mind. Thx :)

man, dead and dying boards are creeping me out. Can we have any positive comments from some1 than has runned the board over 2 weeks without any single problems.That would ease my mind. Thx :)

No problem here and I'm now enjoying S.T.A.L.K.E.R. even with the onboard video. :)

The only problem I had was using CoreTemp 0.95 which will power down everything and this is now a known problem.

Also my little complain is about the cheap RAMDAC used by the onboard video. Output @ 1600x1200 don't look clear/crisp like my AiW9600XT at all.

Otherwise it is excellent for me until I find another glitch.

Well besides a DOA HDD, my board installed flawlessly. :p Only issue I had was manually setting ram timings (and like thats an issue at all?).

I was kinda creeped out the 5 or so hours of troubleshooting my computer before realizing it was the HDD. I was absolutely sure the MB was dead like everyone elses. ;)

Keep in mind this board has seen more response than normal so you are naturally going to have more people talk about their dead boards.

I have been talking to abit and they think the DOA rate is fairly normal for a new board.

I say run the stock BIOS becuase abit hasn't gotten back to me about the modded BIOS or if there is any known issue with using it.

Given some of the deaths associated with this board...I think I'd stay away from the modded BIOS for now...

my first died with official Abit BIOS Evaluation ROM, and this my second board although not dead yet is dying slowly, and i have not tamperd with the BIOS. its 1.1 dated 22/2/07.

My board is running great im even useing the beta bios that is supposed to be from Abit and that works great as well. No crashing or anything. Plays world of warcrack wonderfully and ive had this thing up and running now for 15 days.

The only thing I did all by myself was corrupt my hard drive and just reformatted but that was my fault.

[LYL]Homer;1030837253 said:
I don't think it's the BIOS, I've been running the modded one since day 1 that I've had the board, and switched last night to the newest modded one.

I posted a while back about the failed boards and what settings everyone was using, to underwhelming result.

j1979 can you post all your settings you ran/run on in both systems?

Ok first system:

PSU: 550w EZcool (not the best in the world but the votages seem stable)
RAM: OCZ2p8002gk 2x1gb
CPU: Pentium d 805 @ stock
BIOS version: Evaluation ROM
Cooling: Stock intel about 40c idle 64c full load 73c full load both cores
Overclock - External clock (fsb): 133 stock i did go to 166 for a while but no probs
DRAM Spec (SYNC, DDR 333, etc): sync
CPU Core Voltage: stock 1.3375 (lowest value)
DDR2 Voltage: 1.8 at first 2.1 when board went dead.
NB 1.2 Voltage:stock
NB 1.8 Voltage:stock
Approx. hours/days mobo ran before dying: 3 day ran 100% fine day 4 crashes constantly
without any changes in bios. then i change voltage as instucted by a guy at abit and board was dead after 2 boots.
Any unusual temps or other: crashed first time playing GTA san andreas then constant crashing from then on in. using on-board gfx
Where bought from: Yoyotech.co.uk

second system:

PSU: 550w EZcool
RAM: GX22GB6400DC 2x1gb
CPU: Pentium d 805 @ stock and 160 3.2ghz
BIOS version: 1.1 dated 22/2/07
Cooling: Stock intel about 40c idle 64c full load 73c full load both cores
Overclock - External clock (fsb): stock at the mo 160 when crashing started but it was completely stable at 160 for two days.
DRAM Spec (SYNC, DDR 333, etc): sync
CPU Core Voltage: stock 1.3375 (lowest value)
DDR2 Voltage: 1.85.
NB 1.2 Voltage:stock
NB 1.8 Voltage:stock
Approx. hours/days mobo ran before dying: 2 days ran fine with only one crash using super_pi and watching a movie. last night fail prime 95 and then crashed constantly with same settings
without any changes in bios. i started on day one at 160 fsb and 1.85 ddr and it was fine same settings when it all went titsup.
Any unusual temps or other: Linux boot cd reports BOOT I/O ERROR (ubuntu 6.1) not using on-board GFX this time got an old x850xt of Ebay.
Where bought from: direct replacement from ABIT UK

this board is not dead yet but its not right either, i give it 2 days! i will run prime 95 tonight to see if it almost dies again.

i know somepeople said the northbridge runs really hot on this chip...

does it void my warranty to put an aftermarket one on? with all this talk of dead boards i dont want to put and aftermarket one on and have my warranty void so i cant get a new board if it were to die

i know somepeople said the northbridge runs really hot on this chip...

does it void my warranty to put an aftermarket one on? with all this talk of dead boards i dont want to put and aftermarket one on and have my warranty void so i cant get a new board if it were to die

I'm wondering the same thing, for 20 bucks I may just spring for a thermalright HR-05 chipset cooler.

Mine has been running flawlessly ever since I got it about two weeks ago. I've had it up to 370FSB and dropped it down to 350FSB for normal everyday use. I have played Prey, COD2 and HL2 and all of them ran great except for HL2 which kept locking up and crashing back to the desktop everytime a load screen appeared. I think that was due to Steam, not the board. I have been very happy with the board overall. I feel that a lot of the problems with the board are due to ram and psu issues. Those two pieces of hardware seem to always cause problems. That's why I don't cut corners when buying ram and psu. I had some minor issues when I first started it up and installed Vista for the first time, but after that it ran great. I just wish the board would OC more since I keep reading about all the ATX boards hitting 450FSB and 500FSB. I am looking into selling this board in the near future and moving over to a 650i or 680i board so I can hit 3000+ with my E6400, but so far it has been everything it was supposed to be.... and more.

Mine has been running flawlessly ever since I got it about two weeks ago. I've had it up to 370FSB and dropped it down to 350FSB for normal everyday use. I have played Prey, COD2 and HL2 and all of them ran great except for HL2 which kept locking up and crashing back to the desktop everytime a load screen appeared. I think that was due to Steam, not the board. I have been very happy with the board overall. I feel that a lot of the problems with the board are due to ram and psu issues. Those two pieces of hardware seem to always cause problems. That's why I don't cut corners when buying ram and psu. I had some minor issues when I first started it up and installed Vista for the first time, but after that it ran great. I just wish the board would OC more since I keep reading about all the ATX boards hitting 450FSB and 500FSB. I am looking into selling this board in the near future and moving over to a 650i or 680i board so I can hit 3000+ with my E6400, but so far it has been everything it was supposed to be.... and more.

mine ran fine too for a while no probs. but im interested to know if anyone has fully stress tested. i used prime95 at full 10 priorty. and then it failed. then it would not load anything without crashing after that. then after lots of crashes and reinstalls it worked again. it just crashed again now and this is the second time ive tried to post this. but i believe it better to try and test the board fully now than wait 2 months and find that your board dies. i know that its not my RAM or my PSU, im sure the board has a major fault and its only a matter of time till they all fail. sorry to put a downer on the tread, but this board is weak.

Plus the fact it looks like Jonhathan "fatal1ty" wendel is laughing at me in the picture in the manual

Back