Gaming laptop computer company recommendations

Quilland

n00b
I'm plan to buy a gaming laptop computer and I'm looking for recommendations on companies.

I looked into AVA Direct based on the recommendations I've seen here. I actually tried to order a computer from them but they made it too hard for me to be their customer. The snag was their credit authorization form. I don't have a scanner, fax machine or even a land line to dial out on to fax their authorization to them and they didn't offer any other option other than snail mail. Also their customer representative on the phone pretty much told me I didn't matter as a customer because they have plenty of other business from goverment, schools and other people. My credit card company also told me 1) a credit authorization isn't needed to make an order 2) they'd never heard of such a practice and 3) strongly advise me to never sign any such document.

Someone I work with recommended CyperPower. I looked at their computers and their prices look pretty good and their hardware looked pretty good but looks aren't everything. Has anyone had experiences with them good or bad? or recommendations for another company?

Do not go with Cyberpower. They're well known for making shitty-ass systems. I would not trust anything made by them. Same goes for IBuypower.

Might want to try out Sager or get a custom built Asus.

I'm plan to buy a gaming laptop computer and I'm looking for recommendations on companies.

I looked into AVA Direct based on the recommendations I've seen here. I actually tried to order a computer from them but they made it too hard for me to be their customer. The snag was their credit authorization form. I don't have a scanner, fax machine or even a land line to dial out on to fax their authorization to them and they didn't offer any other option other than snail mail. Also their customer representative on the phone pretty much told me I didn't matter as a customer because they have plenty of other business from goverment, schools and other people. My credit card company also told me 1) a credit authorization isn't needed to make an order 2) they'd never heard of such a practice and 3) strongly advise me to never sign any such document.

Someone I work with recommended CyperPower. I looked at their computers and their prices look pretty good and their hardware looked pretty good but looks aren't everything. Has anyone had experiences with them good or bad? or recommendations for another company?

cyberpower or ibuypower=big no-no.

The credit authorization forms are pretty common among boutiques. It is used to prevent fraud, and has no other purposes. The only reason they need something like that is it's not possible to get a signiture online.

But for laptops, I would look at more of the mainstream companies. Other than maybe Sager, boutiques don't specialize in laptops.

Price/Performance wise on laptops it's hard to beat the Gateway P6860-FX from Best Buy. They had them on sale a couple weeks ago for $1100 and I bit. I have had no problems with it and it performs well in Age of Conan(for a laptop).

Not sure what your level of urgency to buy one is, but it sounds like Ati is bringing alot of notebook GPUs into the market in the next month or 2.

i've had experience with an asus

i overheated it by compiling a movie while having World of Warcraft open, bad idea by me.

I did have a laptop cooling pad but I guess it wasn't meant to handle that pressure (Asus Z71V)

www.notebookreview.com <== Get in the forums here.

I strongly recommend Asus or Sager/Clevo for build quality. Depending on how hard core you want to go. Sager/Clevo can give you a machine to rival desktops where as asus has some acceptable desktop replacements for reasonable sizes/prices.

Asus heating/cooling has been a little slippery on some models, but I personally haven't had any problems with my g1s. I think for most reasonable laptop gaming needs they can give you what you want.

both the a8jp and g1s have been nightmares (asus)

so i wouldnt reccomend asus

I'm happy with my Gateway w/ 8800m from Best Buy, and with all the money you save you can easily pop in a T9300 or even X9000 processor and have a pretty decent laptop. Also an extra spot for another hard drive if you want more space or 7200rpm speed.

I've opted to buy a Sager laptop. I'll post my experience good and bad points.

So far I...
Good points
1. Website was easy to use
2. No obnoxious roadblocks in ordering process
3. Company has been responsive to emails

Bad point
1. Could not opt out of the 'free' Microsoft Office Software trial in selection process
Not a big minus but I had to come up with something didn't I?

Sager is offering to upgrade my graphics card from a Nvidia 8800M GTX to a 9800GT. Not sure if this is a plus or a minus. The card is less expensive which is definitely a plus but not sure if there is any performance hit or if there are any driver issues.

You don't need to buy a Sager from Sager directly. They have tons of resellers. I got my 5793 from pctorque.com, but they haven't updated their site in a while. Another favorite for Sagers is xoticpc.com. They will sell the laptop without Office. Heck, they'll sell it without an OS entirely. That's what I did as I already had a Vista x64 license ready to use.

From what I have read, it's being predicted that the 8800M GTX and 9800GT are practically the same chip. The high-end one will be the 9800M GTX.

The 5793 I have is very loud. It's not "take to the library" material. It is very fast though. I'm told the 5796 doesn't really do anything to improve the noise.

I hate to go against the flow but I haven't really had any major problems with cyberpower, and they are far cheaper than most companies and allow a lot of customization. My brother has had one for almost two years and the only problem he had was a bad wifi card but they shipped him a new one in less than a week. I know 4 other people that bought laptops from them and they haven't had any problems. One thing you can do to check on the laptop is to look at the actual models and research that to see if it is of good quality.

Asus has a reputation for improperly cooling their laptops. Take a look at the Asus C90S. it's entirely cooled by fans outside the laptop case. What a bad idea. All the heat builds up inside the laptop with minimal circulation. I wouldn't recommend Asus as a laptop vendor, unless you find a fan control program for asus laptops.

Asus has a reputation for improperly cooling their laptops. Take a look at the Asus C90S. it's entirely cooled by fans outside the laptop case. What a bad idea. All the heat builds up inside the laptop with minimal circulation. I wouldn't recommend Asus as a laptop vendor, unless you find a fan control program for asus laptops.

Not saying you're wrong, but Newegg has hundred reviews of Asus laptops and most laptops are rated 5 stars, the rest 4 stars (on average).

Perhaps NVidia's recalled GPUs (commonly used in Asus laptops) are the cause of some issues.

The 8920G line seems to have very low temps inside and out, just over 30C.

Back