Gaming / Developer Build

BaGGy

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming primarily, but the occasional Virtual Machine for developing/programming

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
About $900

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
United States of America, Minnesota, Minneapolis.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Motherboard, Memory, PSU, Case, CPU Cooler

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, Intel 335 240GB SSD, MSI GTX 970 Twin Fozr, ASUS VG248QE, keyboard + mouse

6) Will you be overclocking?
A light overclock.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1080p

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Throughout the next 2-weeks

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Would like the ability to RAID in the future, and have SLI support. USB 3.0 or greater are highly preferred. SATA 6Gb/s. M.2 capability, if it becomes an affordable option in the future. Ethernet port.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Windows 8.1 64bit.

Other thoughts:

MicroCenter is 15mins away. Shipping is free for Newegg and Amazon purchases.

Current build thoughts:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K -- Microcenter currently has it for $215 after tax
* Shouldn't need Hyper-threading support for a primarily gaming build; however, I am considering some possible streaming even then I should be fine with an i5.

Cooler: NZXT Kraken X41 -- Amazon for $110 w/ Prime
* I like the idea of liquid cooling compared to air cooling, and I really like the additional LED coloring.

Mobo: ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 -- Newegg for $144
* Feature packed, several SATA 6Gb/s slots, good audio, Intel ethernet, M.2 Gen3 support, at least 6 USB 3.0 ports, and I assume from the reviews I read a good overclocking board for the price.

RAM: G.Skill Trident X 16GB (2x8) DDR3-1600 CL7 -- Newegg $144 w/ coupon and free shipping
* Large amount of fast memory for virtual machines and gaming.

Case: NZXT H440 or S340 -- $120 at Amazon or $70 at Amazon
* Undecided. I like the larger H440 and the additional sound damping, but I am unsure of its durability, where as the S340 is durable it does not have sound dampening and is slightly smaller.

PSU: Open for suggestion.

Last edited:
Just posting here as a reminder for me to get back to you later.

With that said, get the motherboard from Microcenter as well as they should knock off $30 to $40 off it since you're buying the CPU from there as well.

Ahh yes you are correct, it goes down to $129 and it also has a $20 MIR ... so even better for me. Good call!

I am probably going to have to change my mind on the choice of RAM due to Newegg selling out yesterday on the Trident X CL7 (2x8) 1.5V, and settle with Crucial Ballistix CL8 (2x8) 1.5V for $146.

Unsure if I should go with an AIO Liquid Cooling system or just air cool... I hear a lot about the pumps having high failure rates, and what not... any feedback on this would be great!

Last edited:
Back