Gaming Computer with all the Fixins

Joined
Nov 22, 2009
Messages
17
I am finally going to be building my first pc. I have a pretty decent idea of what parts I want and I am mostly looking for feedback.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, homework, movies, programming.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$2000 max, but less is always appreciated.
3) Where do you live?
USA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
I want a Monitor I can use as a TV and hook my game consoles (PS2 and older consoles) up to. Other parts specified below.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None
6) Will you be overclocking?
Probably at some point.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
23" 1080p.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Want it built by mid January.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Nothing fancy really.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
Yes, I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

So these are the parts I am looking at.

Case: Either the RV02 or the similar FT02 (most likely the FT02 if money permits)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163154

DVD drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151192

Monitor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001336
I want a monitor that I can hook game consoles up to and watch TV on so keep that in mind if you have any recommendations.

PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010
Might go smaller, probably don't need 750 Watts.

Keyboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126034

Mouse:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153055

Headset:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104281

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

HDD: Don't really know, something that is at least 1 TB.

GPU
Probably a 5870, thinking about the vapor-x from Sapphire.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102861&cm_re=5870-_-14-102-861-_-Product

Cooler:
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/9...ctua_Fans_LGA775LGA1156LGA1366_AM2AM2AM3.html

RAM: ???

Motherboard: Don't really know, there are a lot of good Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI boards out right now.

*Edit: fixed the links. Thanks for the heads up 4LC4PON3
 
Last edited:
Be sure to take an SSD for your operating system, applications and games. Single best upgrade that you can take. In comparison to a standard harddrive, it will make your computer much snappier. And for your headset, take a look at Sennheiser too. Sennheiser is way ahead of Logitech as far as sound components goes.
 
I agree with Xeltic on the SSD, however I am a firm beleive in putting your SSDs in raid. If you want to go all out then get 2 SSDs and put those puppies in Raid 0.

Couple other things:
Friend just got the 5870 that you are looking at and I am going to have to say that it is pretty fanfreakingtastic. Thats a damn good choice for your GPU. He also got the new DFI Lanparty board and I like that thing ALOT. Here is a link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136070&Tpk=dfi lanparty

Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0227297&cm_re=ocz_DDR3-_-20-227-297-_-Product

Cooler: IMO i would never pay $90 for air cooling. Most I have ever paid is like $60 for a full copper unit. And you said you arent even OCing right off the bat? I would go with something like this and put your money into other things like the SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Mouse: IMO best mouse on the planet: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6104079&cm_re=logitech-_-26-104-079-_-Product


Finally, DVD Drive: GET A BLU-RAY DRIVE!
 
I have actually looked at the Sennheiser headphones a little bit, specifically the PC-350s. I might end up getting them but they are just slightly out of my price range. I'm not entirely sure that the ssd will fit in my budget but if it does I will consider getting one. I do really want that Vapor-X 5870... the hard part will be actually snagging one online. I've read some very good reviews of that Noctua cooler, but if I need to drop my budget a little bit I'll probably get the Hyper 212 as I have read that it is great for the price. I have looked at the logitech G9 already, I think I will stop by best buy or something and try out a bunch of mice before I make my decision.
 
If you dont want an SSD the hard drive doesnt matter that much IMO. Any 7200RPM Sata 32mb cache hard drive will do. Seagate 7200.12, WD Caviar Green, Caviar black, whatever they all about the same :p
 
I would not go with Poly15's RAM suggestion at all: Its rated voltage exceeds the maximum RAM voltage specified by Intel (the OCZ is 1.7V when the max is 1.65V). So I'd go with this RAM instead:
$94 - G.Skill Ripjaw Series F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL 2 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM

Cheaper, lower voltage, and you would honestly not notice a performance difference between CAS 7 and CAS 9 RAM.

PSU wise, do you want a modular PSU or will you be fine with a hardwired PSU?

Motherboard wise, since it looks like a basic motherboard capable of decent overclocking will fit you just fine, I'd recommend this mobo:
$105 - Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 Intel P55 mATX Motherboard

CPU wise, I'd spend the extra $40 for a CPU with HT support as it may come in handy later on:
$240 - Intel Xeon X3440 CPU

HDD wise, for a 1TB drive, I'd recommend either the WD 1TB Black or the Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103U if you can find it.
 
Yes, I was actually considering that RAM. As for motherboards I don't know if I really want an matx board. I was leaning more towards this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128401
I think I would prefer a modular psu for better cable management but I don't know if it is necessary. I don't really see the point of getting that processor honestly as hyperthreading doesn't seem to do much from what I have seen.
 
The F3 is good as well. The 7200.12 is lacking, in comparison.

For SSDs, stick with Intel or Indilinx. More info on my page: http://ssd.alphaq.org

HT helps if you're a crazy multi-tasker who runs multi-threaded apps. Otherwise, it just helps prolong the life of your chip by making it more useful than if it didn't have it.

If you don't see yourself ever filling up all expansion slots on a mobo, then mATX should be fine. If you want more room for expansion, check out the GA-P55A-UD3.
 
Yes, I had been looking at the F3 as I had heard it is a very good drive. I'm hoping I can get a drive with 500 gb platters because those all seem to be pretty good. I had also been looking at that mobo because usb 3.0 would be nice.
 
Back
Top