• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gaming Computer at ~600$

to go to an i5 thats compareable then just simply for the mobo & CPU you are going to need to add another 150ish to the budget.. & If your gaming the i5 (clarksdale) GPU isn't going to be enough. Dont get me wrong for integrated graphics the clarksdale is the best (but not by much over the integrated AMD's of late), but they just dont compete with a stand alone card. Also for power consumption at idle it may have an edge, but its not enough of one to makeup for additional cost upfront (it would take probably 5+ years to makeup the difference in idle power savings on your power bill) & Then you still couldn't game the rest of the time.

edit: as a quick priceout I got about 490 shipped for an i5 setup with no video card.. Thus it would be everything your brother wanted, except that it WOULD NOT be a decent gaming machine. That would then still require a decent video card for @ another 200 bucks (putting it about 100 bucks over the quad core system I priced out above) & still be a dual core instead of a quad core.
 
Last edited:
bastage, don't bother. Let's go with the OP's original plans and build him a good gaming machine for under/around $600.

LolCakeLazors, without getting into a virtual "shouting match" with your brother (via you, the proxy), you need to decide whether you're going to focus on the processor or the video card. For gaming, the video card is more important -- you won't get great frame rates on Crysis by using any onboard GPU. I personally believe that you need to focus on the video card and get nothing less than the HD 5770, but either the GTX 460 or the HD 5830 (assuming you could afford it) would be a better option.

I believe that I found a compromise via NewEgg combo deals:

$150 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 & G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1333 combo (free shipping on both)
$320 - AMD Phenom II X4 945 & Gigabyte HD 5830 1GB combo (free shipping on processor)
$100 - Antec VSK-2000 & Antec NEO ECO 620C combo (free shipping on PSU)
=====
$570 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)
 
bastage, don't bother. Let's go with the OP's original plans and build him a good gaming machine for under/around $600.

LolCakeLazors, without getting into a virtual "shouting match" with your brother (via you, the proxy), you need to decide whether you're going to focus on the processor or the video card. For gaming, the video card is more important -- you won't get great frame rates on Crysis by using any onboard GPU. I personally believe that you need to focus on the video card and get nothing less than the HD 5770, but either the GTX 460 or the HD 5830 (assuming you could afford it) would be a better option.

I believe that I found a compromise via NewEgg combo deals:

$150 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 & G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1333 combo (free shipping on both)
$320 - AMD Phenom II X4 945 & Gigabyte HD 5830 1GB combo (free shipping on processor)
$100 - Antec VSK-2000 & Antec NEO ECO 620C combo (free shipping on PSU)
=====
$570 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

great finds tiraides!
 
bastage, don't bother. Let's go with the OP's original plans and build him a good gaming machine for under/around $600.

LolCakeLazors, without getting into a virtual "shouting match" with your brother (via you, the proxy), you need to decide whether you're going to focus on the processor or the video card. For gaming, the video card is more important -- you won't get great frame rates on Crysis by using any onboard GPU. I personally believe that you need to focus on the video card and get nothing less than the HD 5770, but either the GTX 460 or the HD 5830 (assuming you could afford it) would be a better option.

I believe that I found a compromise via NewEgg combo deals:

$150 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 & G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1333 combo (free shipping on both)
$320 - AMD Phenom II X4 945 & Gigabyte HD 5830 1GB combo (free shipping on processor)
$100 - Antec VSK-2000 & Antec NEO ECO 620C combo (free shipping on PSU)
=====
$570 - Subtotal (not including shipping, taxes, or rebates)

I Dont think that that is much of a compromise, But it is a hell of a build for the price.
 
Yeah thanks for the support guys.. He's just saying that the power bill will go up massively (I had a 9800GT and a pentium 4). Although if worst comes to worst, then I'll try a i3 build but with the same specs. (same ram, same gpu, etc).

I'm planning get a better gpu.

He controls the money because he can tell my parents not to use the credit card for me.

EDIT: I'm actually getting support from one of my family members that I can get the AMD build. He's the one who was going to buy the parts for me.
 
Last edited:
Then explain to your family that Modern AMD's automatically downclock the CPU when its not needed.. For example right now I am using a 6 core 800 mhz cpu, but as soon as I load a game it boosts up to 2.8 ghz. Here is AMD's writeup about it..

Both Tiriades build as well as the build I posted on the 2nd page are extremely good for the money. Prime difference between the 2 being his has a faster CPU, but a few less features on the motherboard (usb 3.0 being the main one). Either of which will server you well for gaming & whatever else you want.
 
I'm loving tirades' build but is there someway I could get a better case? The PSU is beyond good for the price but I'm kinda disappointed in the case. Is there one with a better "look"? That one looks really squarish. It doesn't have to be a combo.
 
Here's a (partial) list of some of the more popular case designs, courtesy of Danny Bui:

Danny Bui said:
$40 - Cooler Master Elite 330 RC-330-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$45 - Thermaltake V3 Black Edition VL80001W2Z ATX Case
$50 - Cooler Master Elite 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$50 - Thermaltake WingRS 201 VJ60001N2Z ATX Case
$55 - Antec 300 ATX Case
$70 - Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$80 - Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$70 - Cooler Master CM690 II ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922M RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case

You could just as easily find and like a case that's not in the above list, but keep in mind that the PSU/case combo deal (that I used in my build list) made the case cost about $25 (assuming that all of the "savings" went towards the case). Assuming you change nothing else -- and please keep in mind that the PSU costs $75 on its own -- you only have about $40-$50 to work with before you bust your budget.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This combo gets you free shipping on the case so it end up being about a 35 dollar shipped price difference (there is also a 20 MIR) & Gets you a much flashier case & a better PSU (thats a re-badged Seasonic & its Modular)

It would take you ffrom a shipped cost of 582 to 617 but would upgrade both at the same time. Where as breaking up the above combo & keeping the same PSU it would leave you a shipped price difference of about 65 bucks for a case (& quite often the shipping may be 15 or more)
 
So I take bastage's case combo and I lower the CPU and get a slighty? faster RAM.
I switched a few combos around, separated a few components, change the GPU's company in favor of free shipping and this is what I get. Suggestions anyone? Plus I want to make sure this is compatible. Plus I get 2 20$ rebates which almost completely cancel out the tax.

Compatibility is the question now. Suggestions still will be taken though. Plus it comes with unintentional CrossFire (mobo has integrated graphics)
 
Last edited:
Ditch that RAM. You're not gonna notice an iota of difference between DDR3 2000 and DDR3 1333 RAM.
$82 - G.Skill F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT 2 x 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
 
Why are you downgrading the CPU to an Athlon II X4 instead of the Phenom II X4? Also that motherboard doesn't support usb3.0 or sata6 if you care.

Also I would suggest changing to this card:
$199 - EVGA GTX 460 768MB

Also a case you may want to consider:
$70 - CM 690 II Basic

And +1 to Danny's memory suggestion.
 
Thanks Danny, I'll go with that RAM.
@Shadowssong: If you could find me a decent mobo with the phenom II x4 or even the x2 (doesn't have to be a combo) that's under 172.98, then I would appreciate it. I'm going to stay with the case because of the combo. The case you suggested doesn't have a combo with a 600W+ PSU
 
OK ok, this is starting to get confusing: WTF are you looking for now in a motherboard? Are you still listening to your bro in regards to the HD 5830?

I honestly think that you should go with Tiraides' build but with the case + PSU combo you chose. You're gonna get a much better build that way and it's clearly evident that you have more in your budget than what you've stated. It's only $5 more.
 
What's the problem with my setup?

What is your end goal with this gaming machine?
 
Wow really.. He just went on my account and posed as me.
Well, I read the whole thing and I think I'll be using your build.
 
The most annoying person on earth.. It's ok. He's agreed to leave me alone now. I'll look for a case and psu (the case was a little dissapointing) an report back. I like the build.
 
Here is a build worth looking at. I know you are liking that other build but your budget seems to be the cusp of the options here.

Combo: AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz + ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G $172.98

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $81.99 + fs

Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W $74.99 + fs

EVGA 768-P3-1360-TR GeForce GTX 460 $199.99 + fs + free game

COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP $49.99 - $10 mir + fs

Total: $579.94

Here is a review for the cpu, definitely a strong chip here.
 
LolCakeLazors, so there is no further confusion, tell us what you're considering right now.
 
@ Shadowsong.. That Motherboard does infact have usb 3.0 according to both the specs & the pretty blue USB ports on the motherboard.

As far as the actual build goes DDR3 2000 is worthless, but I however do NOT like the g.skill for 82 bucks. Not because of the brand, but I wont buy ram without heat spreaders anymore.

Also Try this for 600 shipped & then 40 back in MIR

140 XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W + COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC
173 AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz + ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX
280 GIGABYTE GV-R583UD-1GD Radeon HD 5830 + OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

So it ends up being 12 bucks cheaper & keeps the gigabyte 5830 with the 2 fan cooler (my MSI has a similar cooler & I really like it, its fairly quiet unless I am really pushing the card)
 
@ Shadowsong.. That Motherboard does infact have usb 3.0 according to both the specs & the pretty blue USB ports on the motherboard.

As far as the actual build goes DDR3 2000 is worthless, but I however do NOT like the g.skill for 82 bucks. Not because of the brand, but I wont buy ram without heat spreaders anymore.

Also Try this for 600 shipped & then 40 back in MIR

140 XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W + COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC
173 AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz + ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX
280 GIGABYTE GV-R583UD-1GD Radeon HD 5830 + OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

So it ends up being 12 bucks cheaper & keeps the gigabyte 5830 with the 2 fan cooler (my MSI has a similar cooler & I really like it, its fairly quiet unless I am really pushing the card)

forget that gpu+ram combo, I would take the G.Skill ram over the OCZ anytime. OCZ is sucking big time right now. There is a reason they are always so cheap.
 
forget that gpu+ram combo, I would take the G.Skill ram over the OCZ anytime. OCZ is sucking big time right now. There is a reason they are always so cheap.

I prefer G.Skill over OCZ as well.. But if you count the MIR then its 20 bucks cheaper then the slower g.skill.. & To be honest.. I have had more bad corsair ram as of late then OCZ.. Not to mention that I have had better luck with there MIR then anyone else's (I have done about 7 or 8 of em now & always gotten em like clockwork from OCZ)

& To say there is a reason there always so cheap?? G.Skill is always cheaper then OCZ before any combo or MIR..
 
Argh! So many good choices! I'm thinking of taking bastage's latest build but get the better G-Skill because I just realized it if I send my parts to my Dad's store in Brooklyn, I don't have to pay for tax! But the GTX 460 is so tempting.. Free Just Cause 2 + CUDA support. I think I'll take the ATI graphics card though because the mobo has a 4280 that I can CrossFire in. I'll report back in a bit!

So finalized:
* I'm using Bastage's latest build (case is nice and processor is too).
* However, I'm adding a better RAM because of the no tax.
* nVIDIA possibly

PS: Is it better to get an unlocked AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE? It turns out the 555 BE can be unlocked to a Phenom II X4 B55 which performs better than the Athlon II X2.
 
Last edited:
Argh! So many good choices! I'm thinking of taking bastage's latest build but get the better G-Skill because I just realized it if I send my parts to my Dad's store in Brooklyn, I don't have to pay for tax! But the GTX 460 is so tempting.. Free Just Cause 2 + CUDA support. I think I'll take the ATI graphics card though because the mobo has a 4280 that I can CrossFire in. I'll report back in a bit!

So finalized:
* I'm using Bastage's latest build (case is nice and processor is too).
* However, I'm adding a better RAM because of the no tax.
* ATI is the way I'm heading.

PS: Is it better to get an unlocked AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE? It turns out the 555 BE can be unlocked to a Phenom II X4 B55 which performs better than the Athlon II X2.

For one, you can't xfire the 4280 and the 5850 or whatever you chose, so stick with the GTX460, there is a reason we suggested it... Yes we all know that a Phenom II X2 can be unlocked, but you are taking a chance, because if it doesn't unlock then you are stuck with a Phenom II X2.
 
Hmm... the ATI vs the nVIDIA... Sigh I'll just get the GTX640 because of the free game and CUDA.

What are some factors that trigger the unlocking? Doesn't the motherboard just have to have unlocking features?

No but seriously final:
* nVIDIA
* Some type of AMD
* Bastage build w/ G.Skill Ripjaws memory
 
Sorry for the double post but I wanted to get this build finalized. I'm getting the GTX (due to the CUDA. I use some CUDA supported programs but it didn't really matter) and now I can not worry about tax.

It's bastage's build w/o the RAM and the 5830. It seems that the GTX 460 performs better at 1680x1050 while the radeons are better at higher res. (They benchmarked the GTX for Starcraft 2 at Hardware Canucks). Anyways, no tax and the final price is around 603$ with the MIR. I think I'll keep the case and PSU combo.


If it's all right, then I need to make sure its compatible!

What I decided was:
Use bastage's build but no 5830 and better RAM.
nVIDIA cards are my choice
AMD processor

Yes I have over 600$ but my goal was to get around 600$.

Just to note: I could sacrifice the case and PSU combo for a cheaper one and then upgrade something else but I want this to be durable.
 
Last edited:
Looks good but I would still try to splurge a little bit more $$ and get the phenom II X4, even the lower tier one that runs at like 2.8ghz is still better for gaming than the athlons. If you can't then that setup is good to go!
 
Thanks :D No compatibility problems I guess then?
I need to save my money for a laptop in the next few years (Sandy Bridge/Huron River/Bulldozer Processors!)
I was almost forced to get a X2 but I figured out that only shipping center states have tax.
 
You're not overclocking at all so no reason whatsoever to spend the extra cash for the G.Skill Ripjaws.

In fact, I recommend the following:
$130 - AMD Phenom II 925
$150 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 & G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1333 combo (free shipping on both)
$200 - GTX 460
$150 - That Coolermaster Case and XFX PSU
---
$630 plus tax

It's only $8 more but you get a much faster system. In addition, Crossfire is completely useless for you since A) you're using a Nvidia card, B) your resolution does not require Crossfire whatsoever, and C) You're getting a GTX 460 which will be more than enough for 1680x1050.
 
I was planning to overclock the GPU a bit. Plus, is RAM without heat spreaders safe?

Just tested it out. The shipping cost actually bumps it up to 12$ more (and it's with the MIR)
 
Last edited:
I was planning to overclock the GPU a bit. Plus, is RAM without heat spreaders safe?

You're not overclocking the CPU. So again, no reason for the higher speed RAM. In addition RAM without heat spreaders are perfectly safe. Especially considering that they're low voltage at 1.5V. If old non-heat spreader DDR1 RAM with 2.5V can last 8 years without issue, then DDR3 RAM at 1.5V should be fine.
 
I'm thinking the build you suggested or the build I made. Not sure if I'm allowed to spend up to 620$ :p

Well, being safe, how's the build I made? I'll take your build if I can spend 12$ more (damn parents w/ the credit cards)
 
Well, being safe, how's the build I made? I'll take your build if I can spend 12$ more (damn parents w/ the credit cards)
Not that good of a price to performance value since a faster CPU is only $8 to $12 more. It's ok but not good for the money IMO solely due to the above factor.
 
Thanks. Can anyone confirm that both builds (mine and Danny Bui's) are compatible? I don't want to RMA or screw up my first MAJOR build.

EDIT: Dammit. My family found out about Hybrid CrossfireX. Now they're wanting me to ask you guys if it lowers the power consumption (They believe that you can turn off and on the discrete graphics card with it). Not sure if it's true or not. Can anyone confirm? Also, does it work with the GTX 460?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top