1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Web browsing and gaming only
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1750 Max, would like to stay around $1500 (USD to make it simple)
3) Where do you live?
Ontario, Canada, however going to Florida for 2 weeks and plan to purchase parts down there from newegg (-not near a microcenter)
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Mobo, CPU, Ram, HD, GPU, PSU, Case
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
X-Fi XtremeMusic soundcard, and possibly toying around with using my 8800gt as a phyx card.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Just ordered 3x Dell U2311H, will probably be using them in portrait mode (3240x1920) - not included in price of build
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next two weeks or so.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Good overclocking and SLI/Crossfire support
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
yes, Win 7 x64
I plan on making the whole PC last for ~4years, with a GPU upgrade in 2 years or so.
Games I plan on playing:
Lots of SC2! (I know SC2 doesnt support landscape eyefinity resolutions, but I have read it works fine for portrait? who knows.)
-Left 4 Dead 2
-DIRT2
-WoW
-Mass Effect 2
-Mirror's Edge
-Dead Space
-Maybe some batman: AA
-I will probably be doing a playthrough of Crysis/Crysis:warhead (and maybe metro 2033 if it goes on sale again), however I don't need or expect to play these at max settings.
Current build I have made up:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU: Intel Core i7-930
Ram: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
HD: WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
Case: Was thinking the Antec Nine Hundred Two (my brother has it, seems decent), I can get it locally for $129.00, so I'd feel comfortable getting anything else that price or less. (note: not sure how much room we have in the car on the way back so it may have to be available at Infonec, NCIX, newegg.ca)
PSU: Corsair 850HX?
GPU: Not sure what to do here. If i add up the first 4 parts and leave ~250$ for case+psu, that leaves me with 500-750$ left over for GPU(s).
Things I have considered: single 5870, 5870CF(a bit too expensive), 5970, GTX460SLI, GTX470SLI.
Based on this review it appears that the 470's in SLI would be perfect (costing me about 600$).
Any thoughts on the build?
Thanks guys!
Web browsing and gaming only
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1750 Max, would like to stay around $1500 (USD to make it simple)
3) Where do you live?
Ontario, Canada, however going to Florida for 2 weeks and plan to purchase parts down there from newegg (-not near a microcenter)
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Mobo, CPU, Ram, HD, GPU, PSU, Case
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
X-Fi XtremeMusic soundcard, and possibly toying around with using my 8800gt as a phyx card.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Just ordered 3x Dell U2311H, will probably be using them in portrait mode (3240x1920) - not included in price of build
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next two weeks or so.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Good overclocking and SLI/Crossfire support
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
yes, Win 7 x64
I plan on making the whole PC last for ~4years, with a GPU upgrade in 2 years or so.
Games I plan on playing:
Lots of SC2! (I know SC2 doesnt support landscape eyefinity resolutions, but I have read it works fine for portrait? who knows.)
-Left 4 Dead 2
-DIRT2
-WoW
-Mass Effect 2
-Mirror's Edge
-Dead Space
-Maybe some batman: AA
-I will probably be doing a playthrough of Crysis/Crysis:warhead (and maybe metro 2033 if it goes on sale again), however I don't need or expect to play these at max settings.
Current build I have made up:
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
CPU: Intel Core i7-930
Ram: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
HD: WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB
Case: Was thinking the Antec Nine Hundred Two (my brother has it, seems decent), I can get it locally for $129.00, so I'd feel comfortable getting anything else that price or less. (note: not sure how much room we have in the car on the way back so it may have to be available at Infonec, NCIX, newegg.ca)
PSU: Corsair 850HX?
GPU: Not sure what to do here. If i add up the first 4 parts and leave ~250$ for case+psu, that leaves me with 500-750$ left over for GPU(s).
Things I have considered: single 5870, 5870CF(a bit too expensive), 5970, GTX460SLI, GTX470SLI.
Based on this review it appears that the 470's in SLI would be perfect (costing me about 600$).
Any thoughts on the build?
Thanks guys!