• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Gaming build, $700 budget

I3eyond

Gawd
Joined
Jan 14, 2006
Messages
937
I was considering buying a Dell with an i7 860, 8GB DDR3, ATI 5770, 1.5TB HD for $700, but I always build my computers so I'm curious what I can get for the same $700.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, web browsing, music

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$700 excluding tax and shipping

3) Where do you live?
NC

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word
"Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, mobo, CD/DVD drive, maybe power supply, maybe graphics card

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Case, power supply (Antec Earthwatts 650w) (maybe), graphics card (GTX 275) (maybe), Creative X-Fi sound card

6) Will you be overclocking?
never

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
have 2 LG LED 23" @ 1920x1080

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
now-within a month

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
I really doubt I'd use anything other than SLI, but everything would certainly be nice.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, 64-bit

Out of this build, I really want to be able to play Black Ops and BFBC2 at highest settings smoothly.

Also, I mainly want to know if for $700 I can build a rig better than that i7 Dell I was looking at.
 
$374 - Intel Core i5 760 CPU + ASUS P7P55D-E Pro Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard Combo
$80 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$23 - LG GH22NS50B DVD Burner
---
Total: $477 plus tax and shipping.

No point in getting the Core i7 860 or 870 since it does not provide a noticeable increase in performance to justify the additional costs. However, if you have cash to burn and really don't care that you're getting very little in return, then yeah go for this Core i7 + Asus mobo combo:
$452 - Intel Core i7 870 CPU + ASUS P7P55D-E Pro Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard Combo

The 870 is slightly faster the 860 so you still get the small satisifaction that you're building something faster. Do note, however, that the above combo deals expire at the end of the month.

In addition, if your build is really a month from now, then you might be better off waiting the extra week or two after that for the updated and fixed Sandy Bridge mobos to come out. The $200 Sandy Bridge Core i5 2500 CPU outperforms the above Core i7 870 CPU. So for around the same price as the above Core i5 760 build, you can get a Core i5 2500 build that'll outperform the Core i7 870 build.
 
Thank you for the update. It looks like I will wait till next month and check out what's available then!

However, do you think this current i5 build with my GTX 275 will run Black Ops and BFBC2 well?
 
The GTX 275 will limit your performance compared to a newer card like the GTX 570 or HD 6950.
 
However, do you think this current i5 build with my GTX 275 will run Black Ops and BFBC2 well?

Yeah as tiraides pointed out, at that point the Core i5 would not be your major limitation: It would be your GPU. If you're talking max settings when talking about "well", then the answer is not really. If you're talking about a mix of high to mid settings, then yes.
 
Yeah as tiraides pointed out, at that point the Core i5 would not be your major limitation: It would be your GPU. If you're talking max settings when talking about "well", then the answer is not really. If you're talking about a mix of high to mid settings, then yes.

With a new generation video card and an i5 would I be able to max settings?
 
sounds like all he would need is to add a nice gtx 560 or radeon 6950 to that upgrade and he'll be rollin!
 
Would a nice SSD be worth the money?

If I got one my main use on it would be OS, WoW, Black Ops, and BFBC2.

What's the cheapest, best, I could get...assuming it'd be worth the money... that would fit all that?

Also, I think I'm going to put this guy in a new case.

I can get the Antec Three Hundred for $45, and the Nine Hundred Two for about $90. Are these good cases? Which would you pick, and why?
 
Would a nice SSD be worth the money?

If I got one my main use on it would be OS, WoW, Black Ops, and BFBC2.

I can get the Antec Three Hundred for $45, and the Nine Hundred Two for about $90. Are these good cases? Which would you pick, and why?

First on cases, I have built with both the 300 and the 900-2. I find the 300 to be an outstanding case but if you plan to run more than 1 video card you can generally only run two hard drives with two 9" cards installed. The "butt ends" of the cards go very close to the hard drive bays - with my 5850 in my 300 for example I have less than an inch before it is a problem.

The 900-2 is a little bit bigger and offers a little more cooling. Really depends on what you are looking to do down the road.
 
Would a nice SSD be worth the money?
Depends if you already bought a good video card already/
If I got one my main use on it would be OS, WoW, Black Ops, and BFBC2.

What's the cheapest, best, I could get...assuming it'd be worth the money... that would fit all that?
Crucial C300 64GB should be enough.
I can get the Antec Three Hundred for $45, and the Nine Hundred Two for about $90. Are these good cases? Which would you pick, and why?

The 300 would be a good choice at $45. The 902 is only a good buy at $45. Any higher than that and it's total ripoff as there are significantly roomier cases out there for $90.
 
Last edited:
Both the 300 and 90x are tight in space compared to other cases in that price range. The 300 can't fit many high-end video cards.

A good SSD is worth the money, if you can afford one. However, newer SSDs are expected to arrive within the next few months, so wait for those. If you can't wait, the Crucial C300 series is what is often recommended here.
 
So video card before SSD drive? I just think it's a lot easier to swap out a video card than having to do a full reinstallation of Windows, though at the same time I'm sure I'll see more benefits of say a GTX560 over my 275.

And I'm pretty sold on the Antec 300, although after tiraides said it wouldn't fit many high end video cards, I'm worried.

Any other comments on the 300 and fitting high end video cards?
 
So video card before SSD drive?
Yes without a doubt.
And I'm pretty sold on the Antec 300, although after tiraides said it wouldn't fit many high end video cards, I'm worried.

Any other comments on the 300 and fitting high end video cards?
There might be some issues with fitting. Hence why we generally don't recommend it outside of special deals.
 
Best modular PSU for this build, maybe SLI in the future, < $100?

Best case options similar in quality to an Antec P180b with SLI options and good cooling <$100?
 
If you're not buying these parts by the end of the or within a month, then don't follow them at all since these recommendations changes often.
Best modular PSU for this build, maybe SLI in the future, < $100?
$102 - XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W Modular PSU

Best case options similar in quality to an Antec P180b with SLI options and good cooling <$100?
$80 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 ATX Case
$90 - NZXT Tempest Evo TEVO-001BK ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
 
If you're not buying these parts by the end of the or within a month, then don't follow them at all since these recommendations changes often.

$102 - XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W Modular PSU


$80 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 ATX Case
$90 - NZXT Tempest Evo TEVO-001BK ATX Case
$90 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K56 ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master CM690 II Advance ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case

I will be buying within a week or two.

Several questions...

This one is a bit off topic, but I'd be curious to hear your response on this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1036898106#post1036898106

Back on topic, this is probably an ignorant question, but whatever. Is 650w enough for SLI these days?

What about this PSU?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3891137&SID=194r0

I do really like the look of the XTX, but I'm more comfortable with Corsair. Maybe this is in vain?

And, I see you're running AMD in your rig, Danny. Any reason you didn't make them as a recommendation?

Edit: I really like the Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case out of those cases. In size and quality, how would it compare to the P180b in size and quality? Also, on the side panel, is there room for another fan? If so, how big so I can get it? If not, what is the point of that being mesh or cut out or whatever you want to call it?

Does the XTX PSU light up at all?

Does the i5 760 not support tri channel?

And, is this i5 a significant upgrade from my E6600?
 
Last edited:
Back on topic, this is probably an ignorant question, but whatever. Is 650w enough for SLI these days?
Depends on the video card you're gonna get.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3891137&SID=194r0

I do really like the look of the XTX, but I'm more comfortable with Corsair. Maybe this is in vain?
It's XFX, not XTX. Yes it is in vain since the 650HX shares the same manufacturer as the XFX 650 PSU: Seasonic. So you're getting the same quality as a Corsair with that XFX but at a lower price.

And, I see you're running AMD in your rig, Danny. Any reason you didn't make them as a recommendation?
Your budget isn't low enough to make an AMD rig worthwhile.

Edit: I really like the Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case out of those cases. In size and quality, how would it compare to the P180b in size and quality? Also, on the side panel, is there room for another fan? If so, how big so I can get it? If not, what is the point of that being mesh or cut out or whatever you want to call it?
Quality wise, not as great. Size wise, you can easily figure this out yourself by comparing dimensions. There is room for a single 200mm fan on the side.

Does the XTX PSU light up at all?
No
Does the i5 760 not support tri channel?
It does not
And, is this i5 a significant upgrade from my E6600?

Yes
 
Then no. You're gonna need at least a 750W PSU for that.

Rats. How much do I need to spend to get a powerful PSU that will last no matter the upgrade?

Edit: How many cores when I go to task manager will the i5 760 show? I know if it's HT it would be 8 since it's a quad, right?

Is it HT?
 
Rats. How much do I need to spend to get a powerful PSU that will last no matter the upgrade?

Well non-modular:
$100 - Antec Truepower New TP-750 750W PSU
$150 - Corsair 950TX 950W PSU

Modular:
$142 - XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W Modular PSU
$150 - Corsair 750HX 750W Modular PSU
$190 - Silverstone ST1000-P 1000W Modular PSU

Edit: How many cores when I go to task manager will the i5 760 show? I know if it's HT it would be 8 since it's a quad, right?

Is it HT?
No HT so it only shows 4.
 
Yeah, definitely going to get one of the modulars you listed. Probably the XFX or the Corsair, though the 1000watt Silverstone looks nice, lol. Bottom line I don't want to be bottlenecked if I ever want to expand...
 
750 watts is more than enough power for a dual GTX 560 SLI setup.

The kilowatt Silverstone PSU is better suited for a dual GTX 580 setup.
 
I can get the 80GB Intel SSD for $158.24 before tax.
I can get the 40GB Intel SSD for $87.21 before tax.

Jump on it? Which one? Are these good drives?

Again, I know graphics should come before SSD but at these prices, why not? That way I don't have to reformat and reinstall everything...
 
Are those the G1 or G2 Intel SSDs? That makes a huge difference.
 
Pretty good deal I'm assuming?

Are those drives just as high performing as the one you linked me?

Also, if I do get the SSD and leave the Windows install with all my games, etc. on my Velociraptor, can I still boot up with a fresh install of Windows on my SSD and be able to access (ie drag/drop) my game folders to my SSD so I don't have to install a ton of games and waste time?
 
Pretty good deal I'm assuming?
No if those are the G1 Intel SSDs. Yes if they are the G2 SSDs. Hence why I asked you whether they're the G1 or G2 SSDs. If you can't find that out, don't bother buying them.

Are those drives just as high performing as the one you linked me?
You talking about the Crucial C300 64GB SSD? If so, the Crucial is slightly faster.
Also, if I do get the SSD and leave the Windows install with all my games, etc. on my Velociraptor, can I still boot up with a fresh install of Windows on my SSD and be able to access (ie drag/drop) my game folders to my SSD so I don't have to install a ton of games and waste time?
Depends on the game. Some games cannot deal with being moved from one drive to another due to registry settings.
 
Also, I just sold the rig in my sig minus graphics and HDDs for $300.

He's having an issue, it's saying NVIDIA boot agent media test failure, check cable.

Don't know what the issue is, but it made me realize something.

When I bought that board EVGA offered a limited lifetime warranty on it.

I looked up my account info and it does indeed have that warranty.

I like the Asus board that you sent me, but having a lifetime warranty is a deal breaker for me.

I noticed that the Asus mobo you're suggesting only has a 3 year limited. Then again, I pulled up a comparably priced EVGA mobo and it, too, was only 3 years limited.

Does EVGA no longer do the lifetime warranty? Was that just a sales pitch to get their name out into business back in the day?

Edit for response to SSD reply:

Since we're not sure should I forget getting it and just get the Crucial?

Bottom line is I guess my question is what's the difference between the G1 and G2?
 
Hmm, I think those are the G2 SSDs. If so, then get the 80GB SSD.
 
I like the Asus board that you sent me, but having a lifetime warranty is a deal breaker for me.

I noticed that the Asus mobo you're suggesting only has a 3 year limited. Then again, I pulled up a comparably priced EVGA mobo and it, too, was only 3 years limited.

Does EVGA no longer do the lifetime warranty? Was that just a sales pitch to get their name out into business back in the day?
Only eVGA's super high-end motherboards get that lifetime warranty. Most of their mainstream mobos now have 3 year warranties with some of them having even less than that.

So if you want that lifetime warranty, you're gonna have to spend the extra $336 for it. So yeah, not worth it.

Since we're not sure should I forget getting it and just get the Crucial?
Flip a coin: Higher performance with the Crucial C300 64GB SSD or the greater storage offered by the Intel G2 80GB SSD
Bottom line is I guess my question is what's the difference between the G1 and G2?
Basically G1 does not come with TRIM whereas G2 does. TRIM is important to SSDs.
 
Yeah, I looked today and the model BB sells is the G2. Looks like I'll be picking one up!
 
Yeah, I looked today and the model BB sells is the G2. Looks like I'll be picking one up!
 
Back
Top