Gaming @ 21:9 -- yay or nay?

melk

[H]ard|Gawd
Does the 2560 x 1080 resolution look funny while gaming? Distorted? Do most games support it? :confused:

Not all games support it but there are also a lot of widescreen hacks. The biggest issue with gaming at 21:9 is that all of those monitors so far only goes 60 Hz. To a lot of people, that means they can't play FPS. This 21:9 are definitely perfect for RTS/racing games though.

Check up list of games you play and if they have widescreen hacks & notes for them on wsgf.org.
For me - "nay", as 2/3rds of games i play are classic ones, that haven't seen updates for years, and have no support for ultrawidescreen. Sometimes at best they can be configured for 16:10/16:0 "normal widescreen". I don't want to have hardware well fit for just very newest titles, and prefer more vertical height for reading books & browsing web.
From those few that have played game list mostly consisting from newer titles, or see 21:9 monitor as fine inner-picture-bezel-less multimonitor setup replacement, i've often heard comments that it's best thing since sliced bread. So yet again - check what list you usually play.

I tried CSGO on my dad's LG. Prettty awesome.

I've never played on a screen >60 hz so I can't comment on that.

I don't notice any distortion on games that properly support the 21:9 aspect ratio.

For me - definitely worth it, I won't go back to a monitor that isn't 21:9 at this point. I use my 4K TV instead for games that don't support the aspect ratio, most new releases do these days though.

Distortion is the absolute deal killer for me.

On the other hand, if you're one of the people who look for a FoV hack for every game because you feel literally sick of the <60-degree "standard" console-ish FoV of today's games and are okay with a 90-110-degree one - then 21:9 monitors are nothing short of a godsend.

On the other hand, if you're one of the people who look for a FoV hack for every game because you feel literally sick of the <60-degree "standard" console-ish FoV of today's games and are okay with a 90-110-degree one - then 21:9 monitors are nothing short of a godsend.

agreed.

i run an eyefinity setup with three 24" 16:10 monitors and in games that set the FOV properly the effect is awesome.

in games that don't, trying to spread a standard 90d FOV across a 140d view-area the fishbowl effect is horrible.

however, i'd say at least half the problem with eyefinity comes from poor driver support rather than FOV in the game itself, which is precisely why i am interested in a 21:9 monitor for gaming.

still wide format, but not so wide for those games with poor FOV support, and none of the poor driver support.

happy days as far as I am concerned, particularly with these new curved screens!

Sounds like you're thinking in terms of a false dichotomy to me.

To me personally, a 21:9 screen allows to sit at a comfortable distance, while still having most of my field of view taken up by the game and the image not feeling distorted since the distorted bits are in my peripheral vision.
YMMV though, some people sit too close or too far from theirs, in which case the distortion probably does feel unnatural and uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I tried CSGO on my dad's LG. Prettty awesome.

I've never played on a screen >60 hz so I can't comment on that.

Csgo is awesome except when you try to view the score board. You can't see the bottom half because it was never adjusted it for 22x9 monitors.

I have a 22x9 monitor and for the most part I hate it.

On the desktop it is too wide for a lot of things. You can't view web pages full screen because it is just too wide. Also, Netflix and blurays play in a box and don't take up the full screen. That is really annoying, watching a 21x9 movie on a 21x9 monitor in a box.

When gaming for the most part newer games scale fine, except for the menus. You tend to miss stuff on the sides or bottom.

34um95 (next to my screen asus vg278h 27" , sry for quality handycam)

the only games that do not support 21:9 (which i know):
quake live, dota 2 (ui problems)
its anyway possible to play in 27" 2560x1440

i personally would say you cannot make a mistake when you buy asus rog swift 27" 144hz 16:9 (2560x1440 3,7mp) or lg 34um95 21:9 (highendgraphicscard needed 3440x1440 4,9mp). i think these are the best two displays at the moment for gaming. if you just play fps go with the swift. if you play everything (racing games, mmos, fps, rts) go for lg 34um95. the perfect display would be an ips 21:9 34" 144 hz display with 1ms and 0 input lag :). i personally would prefer the swift over the 34um65 (2560x1080) because of the higher pixel density and the additional features like gsync, ulmb, 144hz.

Last edited:
34" UW may look like preferable compared to 27". But in my eyes 32" 16:9 is even more preferable/usable/with less issues.

on 32" you dont get more view (and thats the point in 21:9) the screen is just larger.

2560x1080 29" nay
3440x1440 34" yay

but be prepared to do some research and .ini editing if you want to get 21:9 to work properly

Csgo is awesome except when you try to view the score board. You can't see the bottom half because it was never adjusted it for 22x9 monitors.

I have a 22x9 monitor and for the most part I hate it.

On the desktop it is too wide for a lot of things. You can't view web pages full screen because it is just too wide. Also, Netflix and blurays play in a box and don't take up the full screen. That is really annoying, watching a 21x9 movie on a 21x9 monitor in a box.

When gaming for the most part newer games scale fine, except for the menus. You tend to miss stuff on the sides or bottom.

Sounds like it just doesn't fit your use case then. I never view web pages full screen, that seems like a waste of space. Even back on a 16:10 monitor I didn't.

I have an Asus PB298Q and I love it. IT's especally good for FPS and RTS games(Diablo3 comes to mind) with the extra wide view. Unfortunately with me getting a 4K TV(Vizio P70) it's kind of obsolete now.

Back