Games you wish you didn't have on steam: Why did I buy that gaaame!?

piscian18

[H]F Junkie
Plague mentioned in another thread that Valve is considering letting us trade in games and it got me thinking. I have a few games on my steam list that I don't even want on my list. Money or no money I'd be happy just to see them gone. I'm sick of seeing them and being reminded that I bought a shitty game I'll never play.

The most damning member of my list is Clive Barker's Jericho. I wouldn't say I have low standards but when I've bought a game I usually consign myself to finishing it. I bought the bread I gotta butter it. I found a way to Love "Alpha Prime", "Necrovision" and I even finished Bioshock 2 though honestly it was so boring I literally fell asleep a few times.( I think this mindset is whats kept me from buying anything the last couple sales.)

Clive Barker's Jericho is literally unplayable. It looks good and the story is serviceable but the combat is just too painful to play. I've desperately scoured the internet looking for mods that would at least fix the damage or hit detection and turned up nothing. No one even cares enough to add skins for this game. I've gotten as far as about 15 minutes into this game before I start spasming out from how impossible it is to play.

So what's your game you just wanna see gone? You wish you could unfriend it like that EX on facebook? Or do you love every game you've ever bought on steam like it's your baby?

I didn't think Jericho looked good. I thought it was another shitty console port. Played the demo and wasn't impressed. I never bothered to purchase the full game. (Thankfully.)

My Steam account is pretty lean and mean. I do have a couple of clunkers, though.

Far Cry 2.

I have a ton of junk games that ended up on my Steam account when I bought the Strategy First Pack during a Steam sale a few years ago. It was worth it though, since it had Jagged Alliance 2, Darkstar One, and the Flatout series, among other gems.

I have a category for them: Shitty Games. IT contains:

Brink, DiRT 2 (freebie), Graviton 2, Red Orchestra, the Ghost Recon Pack, and Trials 2.

Need for Speed Undercover. What a piece of shit game. Most Wanted has it beat 10000 times.

There are some games I wish I didn't buy:
  • Universe at War: Earth Assault
  • Killing Floor
  • Left 4 Dead
Universe at War: Earth Assault never ran for me the last time I tried it. Killing Floor and Left 4 Dead simply sucked. I got a couple of freebies like Mafia II which I've never played but everything else I have I bought on purpose and I'm generally glad I did.

RAGE
Killing Floor
Kane and lynch 1 and 2 ( came in a dev pack that I wanted)
Train Simulator pack (my buddy got me this when we were both trying to find the worst game ever to buy each other, though I got him back with Dinner Date, which is quite possibly the worst game ever made.)

Train Simulator pack (my buddy got me this when we were both trying to find the worst game ever to buy each other, though I got him back with Dinner Date, which is quite possibly the worst game ever made.)

I've been real close to buying that on a number of occasions.

Civ 5. ugh. and it+ all expansions are listed in duplicate on my acct. I need to email them to get it off.

Brink - Game was such a let down... still can't believe I paid nearly full price for this pos
The Polynomial - Yea...wtf is this game. I honestly have no idea why I have this crap
Singularity - Bought it when it was on sale. Played for like an hour and just didn't really like it.

Most of the games I have on mine I haven't even played, honestly. (I always buy the Indie bundles, but never get around to playing everything I bought.) I think the only one I've actually played that I wished I could return was Alpha Protocol, since it had terrible camera control issues on my rig. It was only $2 though, so whatever.

Most of the games I have on mine I haven't even played, honestly.

+1 I've only really logged in a game after purchase to change graphics options to max/map controls..play for a few min and that's it. Only game I've really actually played o STEAM ever was BF:BC2.

I've been real close to buying that on a number of occasions.

Resist the temptation.

Just play OpenTTD instead, that thing will destroy you're free time. It's kinda like MineCraft, if you're compulsive in the right way it will take over your life.

I will leave the games I haven't run or even downloaded off the list for now.

Zeno Clash - I played it for a bit but something about this game rubbed me the wrong way.

Farcry 2

Day of defeat and Day of Defeat Source could make it but ive honestly never played them.

MW3 would make the list but i got COD4 for free which saves it.

There are some games I wish I didn't buy:
  • Universe at War: Earth Assault
  • Killing Floor
  • Left 4 Dead
Universe at War: Earth Assault never ran for me the last time I tried it. Killing Floor and Left 4 Dead simply sucked. I got a couple of freebies like Mafia II which I've never played but everything else I have I bought on purpose and I'm generally glad I did.

I find it kind of interesting that you didn't like Killing Floor or Left 4 Dead . . . . .

I didn't play much KF, but I spent countless hours on L4D, it's really good mindless fun for a while when you're bored one afternoon.

Sure, it isn't a game that's gonna keep you glued to your chair for hours.

But for a casual game of firing it up and having fun? Can't beat it, same with L4D2.

Bunch Of Heroes - It looked kind of neat, but I tried it for the first time yesterday and it kind of sucks.
Duke Nukem Forever - I was enjoying it up until the game decided it didn't want to run any more. I don't really regret buying it, but I should have waited a few months for the price to drop, since I still haven't beaten it yet.
Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 - I had played the L4D beta when it was public and I didn't care for it, but I let a friend talk me into getting both games when they were on sale for around $10. I still haven't played them, and I don't really have any intent to.
Nation Red - Just a mediocre game.
Section 8: Prejudice - Pretty good game, but nobody plays it. Even at launch it was pretty dead. Not much point in a multiplayer game with no player base.
Bioshock 2 - Shitty game. Minor gameplay improvements compared to the first game, but the graphics are awful, the story is awful, and the game is less than half the length of the first.
Dark Sector - I wanted to play the game and I still do, but the PC port is completely broken and the game is unplayable. It doesn't support widescreen resolutions properly at all. It will effectively expand a 4:3 image and cut off the top and bottom of the screen, including the parts of the HUD that are displayed there.
Gravitron 2 - This game just sucks.
Multiwinia - I gave it a shot once, but I just didn't enjoy it at all.
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and Abe's Exoddus - Didn't care for the gameplay.
Razor2: Hidden Skies - I was craving a top-down shooter, but this game is just awful. The game mechanics are lousy, and it doesn't even have any kind of save system. Once you exit the game, you have to start from the beginning the next time you play.
X-Com pack - I'm sure these were great games back in the day, but at this point, they're way too dated, and trying to figure out what the hell was going on without any kind of documentation was too much for me. I bought it in the early days of Steam sales, so seeing a bunch of games bundled together at a low price was hard to resist. I've become a little more discerning since then.

I have plenty of other Steam games that I've played very little or not at all, but most of them are still pretty decent or they were cheap enough that I don't care either way.

I cant count how many decent looking and well acclaimed games I have in my Steam account that just didnt catch my attention. Between work and friends, and my limited SSD storage space, games must really captivate me for me to play them entirely through.

I am one to complain about the length, or lack thereof, of recent releases over the past few years but honestly there are times I'm thankful for it. Singularity is one, I was glad to have beaten the game and uninstalled it, moving onto the next game. I only paid $5 for it so I didn't care but if I paid anything more I would have regretted it.

I am one to complain about the length, or lack thereof, of recent releases over the past few years but honestly there are times I'm thankful for it.

Agreed. I can't stand games that are too long or too short. If the game is too long, I get burned out on it and quit before completing it. When I was younger I couldn't wait for the next 200-hour long JRPG adventure, but these days I'm lucky to even finish a story-driven game that clocks in over about 20 hours or so.

Magicka, that's the last time I listen to 4chan reviews. Them mfers hate everything I like cept league of legends and some old school ps1 games....

I find it kind of interesting that you didn't like Killing Floor or Left 4 Dead . . . . .

I didn't play much KF, but I spent countless hours on L4D, it's really good mindless fun for a while when you're bored one afternoon.

Sure, it isn't a game that's gonna keep you glued to your chair for hours.

But for a casual game of firing it up and having fun? Can't beat it, same with L4D2.

I suspect he hated both the Starks and the Lannisters equally. The man is a confusion factory. although Truth be told I don't think I've spent more than an hour on L4D2. Someday I spose. The first one was playable enough to get through the scenario. I hate the multiplayer. L4D2 just does nothing new enough for me to put any time into it.

When we talk about terrible games. Like it killed my parents or it crashed my PC deleting my weddings photos, a game you can't bear to look at in your list everyday, somebody always brings up a modern warfare game and I just don't buy it. Maybe you paid too much or it just wasn't impressive but Modern warfare games are actually playable. Hell the last couple could be beaten in a single sitting from what I hear even if you don't enjoy them.

You gotta be more creative. I'll give you another example:

I got dis fking game in my list The Last Remnant . I got it in my head that it might be good since it's a squaresoft game but I shit you not this fucker has sat unplayed in my library for going on three years now. It's so goddamn boring I can't even get through the intro. I'm stuck with it and I keep telling myself I will play it some day but if Valve offered me a $1 off coupon to get it out of my sight I'd take it in a heartbeat.

Infact I've never met anybody in the forums or irl who can honestly claim to have finished this game.

Last edited:
Homefront
Resident Evil 5
Left 4 Dead 2
Supreme Commander 2
Red Faction Guerilla

A little off-topic, but is there any redress for games that simply don't work as advertised? Razor2: Hidden Skies is an example. The game advertises controller support, but when I plug in my HRAP EX-SE, it's like the cursor-up button is always being pressed. No other game exhibits this problem and others have complained about this exact behavior in the Steam forums. And it looks like the developer has abandoned the game. There's no fix for this to my knowledge.

A little off-topic, but is there any redress for games that simply don't work as advertised? Razor2: Hidden Skies is an example. The game advertises controller support, but when I plug in my HRAP EX-SE, it's like the cursor-up button is always being pressed. No other game exhibits this problem and others have complained about this exact behavior in the Steam forums. And it looks like the developer has abandoned the game. There's no fix for this to my knowledge.

Open a ticket and demand your money back it happens. Sadly now that Steam is flooded with good Indie games theres some bad apples in there as well.

Fallout 3.

Bought it based on PC gamer raving it being one of the best games of all time. About 30 minutes into having to run around as a little kid beating up a bully, I knew this wasnt going to be the game for me.

Open a ticket and demand your money back it happens. Sadly now that Steam is flooded with good Indie games theres some bad apples in there as well.
I should as a matter of principle, but the game only cost me something like $6. Hell, maybe I'll open a ticket anyway. Would be an interesting exercise, if nothing else.

I have a category for them: Shitty Games. IT contains:

Brink, DiRT 2 (freebie), Graviton 2, Red Orchestra, the Ghost Recon Pack, and Trials 2.

Unbelievable...

X-Com pack - I'm sure these were great games back in the day, but at this point, they're way too dated, and trying to figure out what the hell was going on without any kind of documentation was too much for me. I bought it in the early days of Steam sales, so seeing a bunch of games bundled together at a low price was hard to resist. I've become a little more discerning since then.

Wow.

Bunch Of Heroes - It looked kind of neat, but I tried it for the first time yesterday and it kind of sucks.

Well, I have this now, thanks to some friend who thought they'd give it to me. It's like getting me socks or a t-shirt. Thanks for the thoughts, but really, save your money, I have more of these things than I know what to do with.

My biggest weakness seems to be those big packages -- one or two modern games and a big back catalog of the originals.
I have the entire Total War collection (bought before Shogun 2 came out), which I haven't touched anything prior to Empire on Steam.
Bought like 4 of the Commandos game for a couple of bucks one Steam sale, don't think I've ever even installed anything but 3.
Bought a GTA collection at one point, most of which have never been played. (III and IV have some play time in them, the other 4... nothing.

I think I bought The Ship when it was $2.50, still haven't played it

This game is the very textbook definition of 'crying shame'. It is such an AWESOME premise. And...moderately...well executed. I'd say they got 75% of the way there.

But the servers are...

...dead...

...as...

...a...

...doornail

There is NOBODY playing this anymore. Kinda wish Valve would throw some achievements on it and put it into one of these summer/winter sales - I think the increased interest would do it good. And it's pretty simple enough that a surge of people playing it, just to get some achievement, once every six months (about as often as you'd really want to play it) would be pretty sweet.

...and Left 4 Dead simply sucked.

Weird - I don't think I've ever met someone who thought L4D 'sucked'. I know a lot of folks felt burned because L4D2 was released so quickly after it, and, arguably, was the game L4D should have been to begin with, but...

...I mean, it's a heck of a lot of fun to play with four guys from the office.

There aren't a lot of co-op shooters out there! What didn't you like about it?

As to the thread topic - yeah, I've got my own pile. Mostly combo deals. Like, the 'everything id made' pack.

Am I ever going to play 'Hexen' or 'Deathkings of the Dark Citadel'? Or, hell, even 'Commander Keen' (although I certainly played the Shareware version to death way, way, way back in the day)?

No.

Of course not.

Granted, they are 'classics', and, sure, they don't exactly take up much disk space (nor realistically cost that much), but...meh.

Back