Games with initial or constant online DRM

Youn

Supreme [H]ardness
Is there a list of games (console and PC) that require internet to start or to remain running?

Is this an unavoidable trend and those without internet are basically SOL?

Anything Ubisoft will require constant online connection

Anything that lists "Games for windows live" on the title is going to have some iffyness

Anything thats a "Steamworks" title will have Steam DRM but no online checks to my knowledge

Anything "EA games" will require origin DRM but no Online checks

Anything "Gamefly" is DRM no online checks

Anything "Amazon" must be Downloaded but won't have online checks unless it says so on the store page.

I'm not sure if Desura is considered DRM.

Anything else will usually not have any DRM beyond a single keycheck. This includes all Indie stuff and sites.

As for a list nope. You should start one.

No ongoing list I'm afraid

Anything Ubisoft will require constant online connection

Anything that lists "Games for windows live" on the title is going to have some iffyness

Anything thats a "Steamworks" title will have Steam DRM but no online checks to my knowledge

Anything "EA games" will require origin DRM but no Online checks

Anything "Gamefly" is DRM no online checks

Anything "Amazon" must be Downloaded but won't have online checks unless it says so on the store page.

I'm not sure if Desura is considered DRM.

Anything else will usually not have any DRM beyond a single keycheck. This includes all Indie stuff and sites.

As for a list nope. You should start one.

No ongoing list I'm afraid

Just to clarify your list a little further:

Not anything Ubisoft, but almost everything from like AC2 onward. There are a few titles that don't but it's easier to consider that all them require some kind of online connection to play. Some require a constant one and others require one at start-up.

You're right GFWL is iffy. If you want to use an online GFWL/XBL profile you have to have internet access to be able to log in. Most GFWL games allow you to create an offline profile, however you do need to be online to activate the game.

Steam only needs to check online once to activate the game and then never again, but you need Steam open to run most Steamworks titles.

Not any EA game only BF3, KOA, and ME3 so far require Origin. You need to have Origin running to play those games and a BF3 player will have to confirm this but I suppose you need to be online all the time due to Battlelog even when playing singe player. KOA and ME3 only require you to be online once to activate then you can set Origin to offline mode (obviously it needs to be online for ME3 multiplayer).

If Gamefly kept the same DRM as Direct2Drive then some of the games will require a single online activation and then never again.

Yep for Amazon. Nothing else to add there.

Not sure about Desura either.

Gamestop/Impulse only requires internet to download the games, beyond that any DRM is 3rd party. At least that's how it was when Stardock owned Impulse.

Not anything Ubisoft, but almost everything from like AC2 onward. There are a few titles that don't but it's easier to consider that all them require some kind of online connection to play. Some require a constant one and others require one at start-up.

You're right GFWL is iffy. If you want to use an online GFWL/XBL profile you have to have internet access to be able to log in. Most GFWL games allow you to create an offline profile, however you do need to be online to activate the game.

Steam only needs to check online once to activate the game and then never again, but you need Steam open to run most Steamworks titles.

Not any EA game only BF3, KOA, and ME3 so far require Origin. You need to have Origin running to play those games and a BF3 player will have to confirm this but I suppose you need to be online all the time due to Battlelog even when playing singe player. KOA and ME3 only require you to be online once to activate then you can set Origin to offline mode (obviously it needs to be online for ME3 multiplayer).

If Gamefly kept the same DRM as Direct2Drive then some of the games will require a single online activation and then never again.

Gamestop/Impulse only requires internet to download the games, beyond that any DRM is 3rd party. At least that's how it was when Stardock owned Impulse.

You need steam pretty much open/running/online all the time to run any game on Steam (it seems). Lets not even touch Offline Steam which in my opinion is a piece of shit.

I can't speak 100% but every GFWL title I've played Bioshock batman couple others now require you to be online to save your game. I avoid GFWL because it's so hit and miss. I hate to mention it but if I end up buying anymore GFWL titles I'd crack them or find someway to block Gameslive.

If I was a primarily offline gamer, of any publisher I would say point blank do not buy it would be GFWL titles. GFWL is just not well supported or properly maintained. I've tried to keep an open mind but it's just plain difficult DRM. More so than Ubisoft*cringe*. Origin has been good lately I think the BF3 launch issues caused EA to focus hard on getting it stable. I would not at this point tell anyone to avoid a title due to Origin.

You need steam pretty much open/running/online all the time to run any game on Steam (it seems). Lets not even touch Offline Steam which in my opinion is a piece of shit.

I just plain haven't seen enough evidence or complaints to say Steam Offline is a no go. I travel a lot for work and it seems fine as long as you've logged into a game once online, However I would recommend Amazon, gamefly, and impulse as the most tasteful and offline accessible DRM's. I use steam because I love it as a game management program. Buying wise I don't discriminate. I've had good luck linking everything to my steam Library.

man I think I'm gonna do a review of DRM's. That would be a good article.

Last edited:
I just plain haven't seen enough evidence or complaints to say Steam Offline is a no go. I travel a lot for work and it seems fine as long as you've logged into a game once online, However I would recommend Amazon, gamefly, and impulse as the most tasteful DRM's.
Same here, and I've had it work maybe once or twice.

This will probably come off wrong, but if DRM gets in my way to play a game offline (while traveling is one example). I'll simply "disable the drm". I paid for the game, they've already got my money. Shameful I know.

Edit: to clarify, I've never had steam just work from the get go in offline mode, I always always always always have to go online first to enable offline mode. Which absolutely defeats the purpose of offline mode if I am unable to get internet anywhere. Would you agree that, that is ass backwards?

Last edited:
Same here, and I've had it work maybe once or twice.

This will probably come off wrong, but if DRM gets in my way to play a game offline (while traveling is one example). I'll simply (disable the DRM). I paid for the game, they've already got my money. Shameful I know.

Yes, but lets avoid the P word. Nothing gets a thread closed faster :)

Edit: to clarify, I've never had steam just work from the get go in offline mode, I always always always always have to go online first to enable offline mode. Which absolutely defeats the purpose of offline mode if I am unable to get internet anywhere. Would you agree that, that is ass backwards?

Yeah, when I get ready to go on a trip I load everything online first, Login to steam offline and confirm it's good before I pack it up. It's a pain to be sitting in an airport for 4 hours clicking steam games offline hoping to find one that will load.

What about a list of games that don't require any internet? It would be much shorter.

There are a few on steam that don't actually need steam to launch (not sure if these are bugs or intentional). Like the king arthur RTS/RPG game (found that out when I was having usual offline mode issues, it was pretty much the only game to launch from the .exe without steam). Also steam UT3 with the most recent patch (you need to install this manually) enables launching the .exe seperate from steam (though it does have the profile login, but you can just play offline) and Blood bowl legendary edition, Audiosurf, Arkham asylum..Probably a few others.

Most origin games don't need origin so will launch without needing to connect online. You can put pretty much any EA game with a CD key from steam in this so you can have an "offline backup". Obviously things like BF3 aren't going to work because of battlenet.

GoG titles all work without internet. But these are mostly older games but there is a few newer titles like the witcher 2.

Games on consoles...and handhelds...(unless they are multiplayer only).

Last edited:
What about a list of games that don't require any internet? It would be much shorter.

There are a few on steam that don't actually need steam to launch (not sure if these are bugs or intentional). Like the king arthur RTS/RPG game (found that out when I was having usual offline mode issues, it was pretty much the only game to launch from the .exe without steam). Also steam UT3 with the most recent patch (you need to install this manually) enables launching the .exe seperate from steam (though it does have the profile login, but you can just play offline) and Blood bowl legendary edition, Audiosurf, Arkham asylum..Probably a few others.

Most origin games don't need origin so will launch without needing to connect online. You can put pretty much any EA game with a CD key from steam in this so you can have an "offline backup". Obviously things like BF3 aren't going to work because of battlenet.

GoG titles all work without internet. But these are mostly older games but there is a few newer titles like the witcher 2.

Games on consoles...and handhelds...(unless they are multiplayer only).

GoG is amazing. I am currently replaying FallOut on my work PC during down time.

Back