Games crash at splash screen with 8120.

FX 8150 here. I can't play Saints Row The Third as I get a BSOD the moment I try and start the game. Really irritating. Sabertooth 990FX MB and no BIOS update yet...

i installed my FX8120 today, running 705 bios. Deus Ex playes no problem. i have a M5a99xevo.

Duex Ex is not a steam version. I try to install Steam, I have a issue to connect to the steam server. I will try it in the morning.
Bf3 and MW3 play great on this cpu over my old 4 core. Bf3 really even looks better.

Hmm. As far as I know Deus Ex requires Steam to be installed to run. Well it automatically installs Steam as it is a SteamWorks title? How did you work around that?

crap... what did u do? Now my steam will not connect to steam servers!
I was going to try L4d2 but my steam will not connect. I can get to change password page and even get email from steam but i can't change it.

i guess i will try a unistall of all steam and try later. If that still is broken I will have to call them and change it i guess.

update: steam login fixed.
tested alien swarm-- works

Last edited:
Hmm. As far as I know Deus Ex requires Steam to be installed to run. Well it automatically installs Steam as it is a SteamWorks title? How did you work around that?

Dues Ex work fine for me, Steam version. Only Steam game that doesn't work is Crysis which crashes on launch. Warhead (Steam version) if I use the Steam loader will do this (sometimes) but never crashes if I open using the game exe file. I am using the 705 bios as well. Now I hope the updated firmware version bios for Asus will be available soon as a side note.

I did find upping the CPU-NB speeds have good impact on memory performance and in general game performance. Graph below using Aida64 V2 shows how upping the CPU-NB increases bandwidth and even with same cpu speed can increase memory dependent benchmarks.

Chartmem.jpg

Here is the data:

MemData.jpg

Something of note is I couldn't get the CPU-NB speed faster then HT speeds and post, HT speed had to be at least as fast. Changing HT speeds really didn't change mememory performance that much.

New bios is out 813!

M5A99X EVO BIOS 0813
1. Improve memory compatibility
2. Improve system stability

Asus users should check it out.

update: 813 makes Dues Ex Black screen and system reboot.

Last edited:
My take on the issues at hand:

As an MSI motherboard user, I haven't had a single BSOD or random restart with the affected games. At first, I had no issues with Dawn of War 2: retribution but now I am having the wretched framerate issue others have. I tried Saints Row 3 demo as listed and was getting around 5 fps for the entire thing + graphical corruption when zoomed out.

I did have GPUZ running and logging the stats on my video card and noticed something quite odd about it.

Normally, my GTX 285 idles at 300mhz and runs at 752mhz during 3d applications. When running either DoW2 or Saints Row, the video card only runs at 400mhz. Exiting the application and firing up any other graphical game shows the proper settings again.

Occasionally I will get a 30 second - 1 minute pause in just about any game, a black screen will occur, and then the game will return to full functionality at a reduced framerate. Reinstalling the video card drivers (without a comp restart) fixes that issue. I believe these issues are related because when I get out of that pause, the video card is only running at 400mhz again.

I really hope that BIOS fixes or helps with these problems. I am not here to troll or be a prick. Why I wanted to post is to direct a little something to the Intel fan boys that apparently frequent this thread. I am the biggest Intel fan, so maybe it will count a little more.

STOP insulting the people for buying Bulldozer! I would buy one if I was running a system that you could just drop the processor in and go! At least they don't change sockets every five minutes like Intel. Just because it isn't a Sandy Bridge beater doesn't mean people are stupid for buying it! Jesus, I don't see what people get out of talking shit to other people over this processor. Grow up, it isn't your money and if you can't contribute something useful and not insult someone, just keep your frigging mouth shut!

That is my thinking too.
If I had to build a new system I would look at all information then price it out.

I always go to amd for the easy of upgrades for older hardware. I think the last desktop intel was a back when Micron was top in Pc bulids a 200Mx cpu. I have to admit I do love my new asus K5a laptop with dual core 2 gig sandybridge, That thing runs cool and good battery life.

All I see is 810, where is 813?

I'm using a Sabertooth 990FX ASUS board and version 0810 is the latest on the site. I emailed ASUS about not being able to play Saints Row The Third and they sent me a 0813 bios for my board. That didn't fix the issue. Perhaps they sent me the beta version for this board. If it is a beta, I hope they keep going because as I said, didn't fix the problem.

If anyone else is using a Bulldozer chip and hasn't done this yet, please try either Saints Row The Third if you have it or download the Initiation Station for free and give that shot and report back. It seems to have the same issue as the actual game and it's free.

I havn't tried the 810 bios yet, is there a problem with that one? Seems like the 810 just updates the firmware for the cpu which I take addresses some of the crashes related to Steam games.

OK, ASUS this morning now has 813, anyways I flashed with 813 and now Dues Ex from steam will immediately roboot the computer :mad:. Was playing it just fine with bios 705. Crysis still crashes at load screen but does not reboot the computer. Warhead still works when using the exec file in game directory. Other steam games such as L4D(2), Mafia II, Metro2033 work. Now I am not done with Dues Ex does that mean I need to reload 705 to finish that game?

Yes, you will have to use the 0705 bios to play Deus Ex, Saint's Row the Third, etc it seems. 0813 does allow me to play Dirt 3 at a higher frame rate than the 0705 bios. Well I couldn't play Dirt 3 with the 0810 bios at all, but now I can with the 0813. It's really sad that the bios that makes my computer run so beautifully; can make certain games that I really enjoy BSOD my computer.

Everything on my PC just feels "faster" using the 0813 bios compared to the 0705. It's like night and day. Maybe one day they will figure it out what is crashing Bulldozer. Until then it's 0705.

Has anyone that has upgraded to 0813 had any issues with Skyrim? It's running great on 0810 on a Sabertooth 990FX so far.

I downgraded by BIOS from 0813 to 0705 and Saints Row The Third runs... finally. If anyone else is having issues, try the older BIOS.

The 0705 bios is much slower than the 0813 bios in Dirt 3 at least. On the 0813 bios I get 60 average fps with the minimum at 50 fps. With the 0705 I average 49 fps and the low is 40 fps. That's a pretty big performance loss!

But I still can't play Deus Ex , Saint's Row the Third, etc on the 0813 bios so the extra stability and speed is for naught.

Abit667 found a new bios for the CHV that supposedly fixed Sant's Row the Third and Deus Ex! Well the Steam games that had the issue. Try it out and see if it works guys!

I wish at this point that I had sprung for the CHV as I have now found that Formula = more updates faster!

i have a CHV and saints still doesnt work for for me, just has a laggy intro video and crashes after the amd splash screen still

Sounds like I made the right move to get off this crazy train.... Well over a month, and people still having issues :(

I just installed the updated F6e BIOS for my Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 and the crashing problem went away. So it looks like the updated AGESA code and CPU microcode fix the issue completely.

So with any luck this update will appear for other motherboards shortly.

As a benfit, I can now shut off power throttling on this chip so I don't need the AMD overdrive workaround for overclocking.

Dirt 3 benchmark. Old bios maxed out at 49fps. New bios + CEG fix = 70fps!

WOOHOO!

On a side note Dirt 3 crashed 3 times before I got to the Benchmark screen. Just application has stopped crashes; not a BSOD. No idea why. Guess that's one reason it's still in testing. :)

Last edited:
Interesting.

I wonder if once all these things are sorted out, the [H] will update their BD gaming benchmark article.

Well after it's officially patched. Right now they are still doing QA testing. But yes the processors need to be reassessed; at least the Steam games that wouldn't run before.

Total War Shogun 2 balanced 720p benchmark went from 67 fps to 111 fps! :)

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me their Red Orchestra 2 performance.

The only reason I broke my boycott of Intel was because my favorite game - RO2 - wouldn't run well on my Phenom II x6 at 4.0Ghz. My plan had been to do a drop in BD replacement at launch, but when it tested so poorly and looked like even an overclocked BD wouldn't outperform my Phenom II at 4.0 by much if at all, I made the tough decision to go Intel.

I'm hoping I didn't break my boycott for no reason.

Here's the exact procedure for using the temporary fix (repost)

Update:

For those who are following and have the same problems as me:

This guy somehow managed to mod the BIOS AND fix the performance issues:

I dont know who he is, but right now, he is quite simply GOD, LOL

FIRST, you need to install this *modified* version of the 0813 BIOS on post 35 of this page (solves the crashing BSOD problem):

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...G-games-causing-BSOD-on-Bulldozer-issue/page2

Direct link:

http://www.multiupload.com/DP86G5312L

THEN, you need to download and run the file at post 56 (fixes the 5 fps problem):

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...G-games-causing-BSOD-on-Bulldozer-issue/page3

Direct link:

http://www.multiupload.com/FN0DQPG8BU

(run the Orechi-CEG program, not the other executable)

Limited testing, but so far, works perfectly. I'd thank him, but you apparently need to PAY to register with that forum.

NOTE: you will need to run that at every boot. I rarely reboot, so it doesnt bother me, so if you dont want to be bothered with that, or are iffy about using 3rd party mods with something as critical as a BIOS, just wait for the forthcoming official BIOS from ASUS.

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1038086405 said:
Interesting.

I wonder if once all these things are sorted out, the [H] will update their BD gaming benchmark article.

Well I think that will come naturally over time when new hardware as in motherboards, cpus, GPUs etc. come about. For example when the Radeon HD 7970/50 comes out next year maybe a good time to compare Intel and AMD rigs with updated bios/OS support/software for Bulldozer. If HardOCP doesn't do it I am sure others will anyways.

Maybe never.... Or the never after next....hard to say, for sure, but that's the time-frame we're looking at, if things continue at the rate they are -_-

I put my 1100t back into my AMD rig, and got that up and running now, so I'm golden. Not messing w/ the BD again until later down the road when some official fix _does_ hit the streets....

Zarathustra[H];1038086657 said:
I'm still waiting for someone to tell me their Red Orchestra 2 performance.

The only reason I broke my boycott of Intel was because my favorite game - RO2 - wouldn't run well on my Phenom II x6 at 4.0Ghz. My plan had been to do a drop in BD replacement at launch, but when it tested so poorly and looked like even an overclocked BD wouldn't outperform my Phenom II at 4.0 by much if at all, I made the tough decision to go Intel.

I'm hoping I didn't break my boycott for no reason.

Oh no, you made the tough decision to buy the 2nd fastest desktop CPU on the planet! OH, THE HUMANITY!

What did Intel ever do to you, anyway? I mean, if RO2 performance is good on BD after the fix, I'd be happy to buy you an 8150 in exchange for that 3930K ;)

Maybe never.... Or the never after next....hard to say, for sure, but that's the time-frame we're looking at, if things continue at the rate they are -_-

I put my 1100t back into my AMD rig, and got that up and running now, so I'm golden. Not messing w/ the BD again until later down the road when some official fix _does_ hit the streets....

Don't blame you there! In my case I have to keep BD going as my alternative is the 555BE that can't get out of it's own way. I added the new information to the OP so that others with the problem can get some help.

Weird, started up Bioshock 2 for the first time, it did it DX update routine, started the game and played for like an hour then a Live Window update request came up. I updated and Bioshock 2 crashed. Everytime I try to start Bioshock 2 it crashes at loading screne. Worked fine, Live update now it doesn't. Verify cache, declocked to standard etc. Now is this a Bulldozer problem or some other problem? This is what happens when the hardware is flacky it becomes hard to troubleshoot what is going on.

Back