Games are getting expensive, $70 for my pre-order,

i will never pay $70 for a video game.i will never pay north of $50 (and that's extremely rare too).
That's pointlessly arbitrary. You aren't factoring in potential value, just setting a hard and arbitrarily-chosen cap.

If there's a breathtaking game with an obscene amount of content, and if it's $100, I'm going to think about whether I'm likely to get $100 worth of value from it. You should just solve the value equation before saying "no".

That's pointlessly arbitrary. You aren't factoring in potential value, just setting a hard and arbitrarily-chosen cap.

If there's a breathtaking game with an obscene amount of content, and if it's $100, I'm going to think about whether I'm likely to get $100 worth of value from it. You should just solve the value equation before saying "no".

Or he'll wait a few weeks (or months) to see if there's a coupon or deal, and pay less than half, and still get the same amount of enjoyment. Not everyone wants to spend a ton of cash on something, especially if it's past a price point MOST people are willing to pay. And for the love of balls, there is no amount of value a game can bring when it's priced at $100. That's unholy and ridiculous.

I have BC 2, Battlefield 2 collection and BF3, Sim City (really regret buying) that gave me NFS: MW. Thats all I have on origin and I wont buy another EA game for a long time when they screwed me with Sim City.

Or he'll wait a few weeks (or months) to see if there's a coupon or deal, and pay less than half, and still get the same amount of enjoyment. Not everyone wants to spend a ton of cash on something, especially if it's past a price point MOST people are willing to pay. And for the love of balls, there is no amount of value a game can bring when it's priced at $100. That's unholy and ridiculous.

I'd easily pay $100 for something along the lines of DA:O, but 2-3x as long.

I'd easily pay $100 for something along the lines of DA:O, but 2-3x as long.

Again, just personal opinion really, but I wouldn't. Ever. There have been PLENTY of games that were absolutely fantastic and memorable for less, and there will (hopefully) continue to be.

Happily pay $70 for a game preorder then come complain about it.

Less than a month ago there was this pre-order for some game on Steam. It said something like 83€ or something. Some alpha! access was also included. Imagine that... :D

I think that's Grim Dawn, and it included a bunch of other stuff that matched the Kickstarter rewards of the same price level. Basically they were in a situation where they wanted to get alpha-access sales but couldn't screw over their early KS adopters, so they matched the price. Had they made a $40 pre order with alpha access, you'd have those KS people complaining. Not a suggested thing to get, especially with other ARPG's to play out there now.

And for the love of balls, there is no amount of value a game can bring when it's priced at $100. That's unholy and ridiculous.
If you get twice the value from it as you would from a given $50 game, you'd still say that $100 is "unholy and ridiculous"? Why? Does additional value simply cease to exist after you've reached the $50 threshold?

Happily pay $70 for a game preorder then come complain about it.
Everything sucks compared to his Lamborghini Sesto Elemento and his palatial estate in the Hamptons.

If you get twice the value from it as you would from a given $50 game, you'd still say that $100 is "unholy and ridiculous"? Why? Does additional value simply cease to exist after you've reached the $50 threshold?

From a game? Sure does. I (again, personally) would rather take that extra $50 and put it towards something like food.

I might buy the "Premium Edition" or the complete game as i like to call it, for $50-$60.

I won't buy a game unless it comes with all the DLC.

From a game? Sure does. I (again, personally) would rather take that extra $50 and put it towards something like food.

If you are hurting for food, then you wouldn't think about buying a $50+ game, would you?
$50 barely gets you a decent meal out for 2, and I equate buying the game as going out to eat, buying groceries is a necessity, buying the game and going out to eat are luxuries.

If you are hurting for food, then you wouldn't think about buying a $50+ game, would you?
$50 barely gets you a decent meal out for 2, and I equate buying the game as going out to eat, buying groceries is a necessity, buying the game and going out to eat are luxuries.

It (the food) was just an arbitrary example. I'm saying, for me personally, I don't see value in a $100 game, if there are say, $50-60 games out there. The $100 game would have to come with some ridiculous shit, like a mechanical blowjob, or something to that extent.

Not sure where you live but $50 where I live (Boston) gets you a plenty good meal for two, with drinks. But here's the thing, I don't equate games to luxuries, I equate games to entertainment on an entirely different level. I play games for a bit, then toss them aside. I don't see prolonged value in something like a game. Now that's just me, some people get 200 hours out of a game. I'm not one of those people to be honest. I'd rather spend money on say, car parts. This makes it difficult to justify the purchase, as I KNOW I'll be onto something new soon, whereas I'll always track my car, every weekend, and I'll always be able to use those upgrades.

But here's the thing, I don't equate games to luxuries, I equate games to entertainment on an entirely different level. I play games for a bit, then toss them aside. I don't see prolonged value in something like a game. Now that's just me, some people get 200 hours out of a game. I'm not one of those people to be honest. I'd rather spend money on say, car parts. This makes it difficult to justify the purchase, as I KNOW I'll be onto something new soon, whereas I'll always track my car, every weekend, and I'll always be able to use those upgrades.

Ditto for me.

Before my fiance and house, I would get hundreds of hours of enjoyment from a single game.

Nowadays? I get more enjoyment fixing the fridge or installing a new ceiling fan. I rarely spend more than 30 hours on a single game. Which pretty much translates into me never paying more than $30 for a game.

Ditto for me.

Before my fiance and house, I would get hundreds of hours of enjoyment from a single game.

Nowadays? I get more enjoyment fixing the fridge or installing a new ceiling fan. I rarely spend more than 30 hours on a single game. Which pretty much translates into me never paying more than $30 for a game.

Thank you. Damn. :)

On a small tangent: Really? You get more enjoyment fixing a fridge? Surely you have better examples than that for the "fun" category, haha. :D

But here's the thing, I don't equate games to luxuries, I equate games to entertainment on an entirely different level. I play games for a bit, then toss them aside. I don't see prolonged value in something like a game. Now that's just me, some people get 200 hours out of a game. I'm not one of those people to be honest. I'd rather spend money on say, car parts. This makes it difficult to justify the purchase, as I KNOW I'll be onto something new soon, whereas I'll always track my car, every weekend, and I'll always be able to use those upgrades.

Ok, that makes more sense to me. I'm somewhat the same way, I don't spend nearly as much time gaming as I used to. But I do enjoy long, deep games like DA:O, and if I could have one that continued on for a much longer period of time, I would find value in that. In your case, it sounds like you would move on before the game was over and thus wouldn't want to spend that amount.

On a small tangent: Really? You get more enjoyment fixing a fridge? Surely you have better examples than that for the "fun" category, haha. :D

Perhaps more of a sense of accomplishment would be a better way of phrasing, rather than enjoyment?

Ok, that makes more sense to me. I'm somewhat the same way, I don't spend nearly as much time gaming as I used to. But I do enjoy long, deep games like DA:O, and if I could have one that continued on for a much longer period of time, I would find value in that. In your case, it sounds like you would move on before the game was over and thus wouldn't want to spend that amount.

Perhaps more of a sense of accomplishment would be a better way of phrasing, rather than enjoyment?

I finish MOST of the games I play, but I don't say, replay them, or try to find all the crap in the game, unless I really didn't have anything else to do at the time (not in the game, but in general that is).

A sense of accomplishment would make more sense I suppose. But surely he's got something else he likes to do, that he finds more value in. I was just picking on him.

Back