“Gamers Aren’t Overcharged; They’re Undercharged,” Says Wall Street Analyst

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Nov 21, 2017.

1. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

I like you more and more all the time Z.

Kids are out of the house, wife at work or comes home tired and needs to decompress and doesn't want me hanging on her, you get this. If I didn't game, I could volunteer at the Y or something. Mostly I look forward to a future where the wife and I aren't working disjointed schedules and we have much more time together, maybe our kids want us around some too. A chance after retirement to build a different life then the one we live now. Hopes and dreams are great, but the life you live today is the best chance you have to make it happy and worth while.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  2. lcpiper

Z explains it pretty well here in a post (#116). He works hard, he has priorities, I think he has the right priorities.

You are correct, it's about choice and for him, gaming is fun, but it doesn't rate with some of his other options.

Read it, I think you'll agree.

3. Mut1ny

Mut1ny [H]ard|Gawd

That's fine...does he tell people he doesn't "have time" to play games or that he choses to do something else in his free time? I guess I just don't like people using the time excuse when they actually DO have the time they just don't want to do what you're doing. If a friend wants to do something I don't want to do I tell them I don't want to do it...I don't lie and just say I don't have the time to hang out with them when I do, ya know? I guess it's more the phrasing that bothers me...not what people actually do with their time.

4. lcpiper

This man is also very correct. In fact, just the change from the old cardboard box format to CDs in a cheap jewel case was supposed to cut costs by 1/2, we never saw those savings in the retail price of new titles though did we. Digital distribution through services like Steam must have had another large impact on costs.

Advil, I applaud your contribution sir, you are right on point. We have a case here where in fact, the profit has been increased perhaps as much as any other entertainment venue despite this author's claims.

Well done sir.

5. lcpiper

Let's be more fair, just how many games does one need to find when they do provide this kind of play time?

Personally I find that one is enough, really, World of Tanks takes up most of my game time for the last 6 years. You can use the word rare but does that even apply? Are some people on a life mission to see how many different games they can experience in their life time? Guiness have a record that needs breaking?

Let's recap, I have been playing one game as my primary entertainment for the last 6 years. The same company makes World of Warships and World of Warplanes. I also have spent time playing one that is equally time consuming, Mechwarrior Online. Before these I played others though 6 years is the record for a single title ..... unless maybe we count Diablo2 which I played for many years.

Hmmm, and when I am not playing WoT, I play Fallout 4, (Released Nov 2015 Two Years ago and I still play it), and Skyrim, (2011, another 6 year gaming pleasure).

To me, the content argument is bullshit for most titles, it's not about content, it's about replayability. Those linear games that you play through and "beat" and then forget about, yea I don't play those too often, the last was Assassin's Creed (the first one). If this kind of game is your thing then perhaps I understand your feelings on it. But this title isn't one of those kind of games is it? It's one of my kind of games.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  6. Dillirium

Dillirium Limp Gawd

Good, I hope they do. From their ashes a new company will come out that doesn't do this. It's kind of like Verizon taking unlimited data away. T-Mobile and others walked in and took a lot of their market share. Now Verizon has that plan back.

This is why capitalism works.

7. lcpiper

The FCC was never ever supposed to try and regulate this to begin with. It was an aberration of over reach that they did. One that is currently being corrected.

This is the FTC's responsibility to regulate commerce, not the FCCs

I am sorry that the FCC got a wild hair and decided to do what they thought the FTC should have been doing, but it was wrong for them to do it no matter how "good" the intentions.

Now that this governmental fuck up is almost corrected, we can get down to doing it the right way and not bastardizing thirty year old regulatory power intended for completely other purposes.

I don't just want government to work, I want it to work right.

8. ChedWick

ChedWick Gawd

Need to fix the monopolies the ISP's have on various regions before capitalism in that sense will work. The reason the mobile market is so competitive is because you can literally choose who to have service with. Much of the US is limited to 1 ISP that isn't DSL.

MavericK likes this.
  9. Ranulfo

Ranulfo [H]ard|Gawd

Where are all the big manuals with game info these days? Oh, yay... pdf format.