Game suggestions for PS3.

merlin704

The Great Procrastinator
Well, after deliberating for a year or so, I finally bought a PS3 to go along with my X360. I bought the 80gb model and so far I like the menu ALOT...tons of functions. I have it hooked up to my Panasonic 65in. 1080P plasma.:D I have no games yet but I have tried a couple of demos and they look nice, though the controller isn't as comfortable as the X360 controller.

So what games are good and must buys? I like FPS shooters and racing. Note, I did not buy this to play blu-rays, I just bought a Panasonic DMP-B35K for that.:D

Uncharted, MGS4, Resistance, GT5:p, Valkyria, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank,

Is GT5P worth the money since it's just a glorified demo?

If you like golf and can get past the cartoon style Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds is a great game. It's my most played PS3 game along with NHL 09.

MGS4 is a good game too, I really enjoyed it but haven't been back to play it after beating it once. GT5P I also own but don't play much.. I guess you really do need a wheel to enjoy it because it feels like something is missing without it. Never had that feeling with previous GT games however.

Alright I am making a list of things I need to get. Also, I am glad to be doing my part to stimulate the economy.:D

Can't believe no one has recommended MotorStorm 2 and he likes racers!

Be prepared to lose a lot of time online tho......

Other notable PS3 racing games are Formula One Championship Edition and DIRT.

I havent played Motor Storm 2 yet but I definitly enjoyed the first one.

The Darkness 2K Games
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Activision
Soldier of Fortune Activision
BIOHAZARD® 5 CAPCOM
Devil May Cry® 4 CAPCOM
N-Cube Creat Studios
Warbit Creat Studios
Dark Sector D3 PUBLISHER
Turok Disney Interactive
Highlander Eidos
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men Eidos
Burnout Paradise ELECTRONIC ARTS
FIFA franchise (title name TBD) ELECTRONIC ARTS
Legendary: The Box Gamecock
To End All Wars Ghostlight
RAGE id Software
WarDevil - Unleash the Beast Within Ignition Entertainment
Dynasty Warriors 6 KOEI
Fatal Inertia KOEI
METAL GEAR SOLID 4 GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS Konami
Blacksite: Area 51 Midway
TNA Wrestling Midway
Unreal Tournament 3 Midway
Wheelman Midway
Cops (codename, title name TBD) Pyro
Planet One (codename, title name TBD) Pyro
Heroes over Europe Red Mile Entertainment
Condemned 2 SEGA
Iron Man SEGA
The Club SEGA
The Crucible SEGA
The Incredible Hulk SEGA
Blast Factor (*1) Sony Computer Entertainment
echochrome Sony Computer Entertainment
Elefunk Sony Computer Entertainment
Folklore (*1) Sony Computer Entertainment
FORMULA ONE CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION (*1) Sony Computer Entertainment
Go! Sports Ski (*1) Sony Computer Entertainment
Heavenly Sword (*1) Sony Computer Entertainment
High Velocity Bowling Sony Computer Entertainment
MLB 08: The Show Sony Computer Entertainment
MotorStorm (*1) Sony Computer Entertainment
NBA 08 (*1) Sony Computer Entertainment
PAIN Sony Computer Entertainment
Rat Race Sony Computer Entertainment
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction Sony Computer Entertainment
Resistance: Fall of Man (*1) Sony Computer Entertainment
Snakeball Sony Computer Entertainment
SOCOM: Confrontation Sony Computer Entertainment
Super Stardust HD (*1) Sony Computer Entertainment
TOY HOME Sony Computer Entertainment
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Sony Computer Entertainment
Warhawk (*1) Sony Computer Entertainment
WipEout HD Sony Computer Entertainment
GirpShift® Sony Online Entertainment
NBA 2K8 Take Two Sports
Destroy All Humans 3 THQ
Stuntman Ignition THQ
Assassin's Creed UbiSoft
BEOWULF UbiSoft
HAZE UbiSoft
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (*1) UbiSoft
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas (*1) UbiSoft
Prototype Vivendi Games
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena Vivendi Games

MGS4 and LBP are the only exclusives worth buying I think. If you like FPS's then theres Resistance but thats just as overrated and mediocre as Halo, Killzone 2 is shaping up nicely though.
Note, I did not buy this to play blu-rays, I just bought a Panasonic DMP-B35K for that
10 bucks says the PS3 is still better at movies, unless you get absolute top of the line then the PS3 kills almost every bluray player out there.

Well if you are into racing i can't belive noone suggested Wipeout HD :)
Ok those aren't classic cars but still it's highly addictive game at can be bough at rather funny price of 20$.

Uncharted, MGS4, Resistance, GT5:p, Valkyria, LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank,

Truth. Valkyria Chronicles is not a FPS or racing game, but it's one of my favorite games of all time. It will be replayed, again and again.

Is GT5P worth the money since it's just a glorified demo?

Meh. Forza 2 is better since you already have a 360. If you didn't have a 360, I'd say get it. I love racing games and I was slightly dissatisfied. The graphics are awesome though. When the full game comes out I'll be singing it's praises though.

MGS4 and LBP are the only exclusives worth buying I think. If you like FPS's then theres Resistance but thats just as overrated and mediocre as Halo, Killzone 2 is shaping up nicely though.

10 bucks says the PS3 is still better at movies, unless you get absolute top of the line then the PS3 kills almost every bluray player out there.

Indeed, Resistance is mediocre, but...

Resistance 2!! 8 Player Co-Op Online is tons of fun.

This!

I liked the Mirrors Edge demo, might pick that up.

Mirror's Edge is way too short. I actually regret using a gamefly rental on it. :p

Games I've played and enjoyed:

Heavenly Sword
MGS4
DMC4
Lair
Haze
Resistance 1 and 2
COD4
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
Ratche & Clank: Quest for Booty
Folklore
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
Assasin's Creed (good in very small amounts)
GTAIV

Pixel Junk Monsters !!!

My wife and I play this game all the time. It's a Tower Defense game and is extremely fun. Buy it from the PS store for $10. Buy the expansion for $7.
Best value ever.

Battlefield: Bad Company.

Very solid single player. Fun and funny.

Excellent multiplayer.

PSN has several very good games on it. You should definitely checkout any of the Pixeljunk series, especialluy Pixeljunk Eden.

Everyday Shooter is a sure bet.

The BD35 is indeed a little better overall player than the PS3. Its advantage is that It has better/complete support for the HD sound codecs. It rivals the PS3 in load times and May actually be small bit better for image quality.

This is all good, though. As we are finally starting to see competent stand-alone players. The PS3 is still an awesome player and a great value. Some people, like me, don't even miss the small short comings with the PS3's HD codec support.

Well thats upsetting, the demo was fun.

Even though it was short was it still pretty good?

As Mr.Mike stated, he beat the game in 4hrs, which he must be pretty freaking good to do on a first sitting. I beat the game in 7hrs, some beat it in 6hrs others in 8hrs, etc.

ME is a great game IMO. What is great about the game is finding paths to traverse and get through the levels as quick as you can. What does hurt the game is that you are speed running through these large levels which make the overall game "short". I have found great replay in completing time trials and speed runs of the various game levels.

After spending countless hours in the Demo, the game was a purchase for me and I do not regret it. I am one who values experience over game length and never do the whole X hours of play for X dollar calculation. Give me a 6hr game with 6hrs of awesome versus an 18hr game with 6hrs of awesome. Of course different strokes for different folks :p

Today, I went and bought MGS4 and Uncharted for now. So that should keep me busy for awhile.

Also, the BD35 is a nice player and load times are about 15 seconds or so. No delay with commands from the remote. I actually wanted to get the BD55 but Best Buy was sold out.:( So once they are in stock again, I will get one and the BD35 will go in the bedroom to be connected to my Panasonic 42in 1080P plasma.:D

You know after playing the Uncharted demo i just felt like it was eh.. Never really got the whole "wow" factor for uncharted. Maybe if i got past whatever the demo offered it would change but eh..

Uncharted rocked, really excited to hear this new news of U2. First day buy for me :)

MGS4 and LBP are the only exclusives worth buying I think. If you like FPS's then theres Resistance but thats just as overrated and mediocre as Halo, Killzone 2 is shaping up nicely though

Oh so wrong...
Resistance 2 is amazing. The game is NOT over rated at all. IGN even gave it higher praise than Gears 1.5, and thats a lot considering it is a PS3 game over a 360 game.
MGS4
LBP
Resistance
Resistance 2
Lair
Warhawk
Heavenly Sword
Motorstorm
Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Haze
Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Just a few of the great PS3 exclusives.

Yea, I wasn't a big fan of Lair... haven't really checked out Haze, but everything else on that list is definitely worth checking out.

Yea, I wasn't a big fan of Lair... haven't really checked out Haze, but everything else on that list is definitely worth checking out.
Well, I like Lair. Everybody bashed it for the controls, but nobody even played it barely. It was very nice to look at to. Haze, the demo was good IMO, and the multiplayer in full game was good from what I played. Hope to get it soon.

consider myself a hardcore fps'er. resistance 1 was crap compared to gears.

ill recognize that halo is a decent game, but its totally not my thing, and you couldnt pay me 10 dollars to play it for an hour.

ps3 did exceptionally well with:

-Heavenly Sword (thought it was way too short)
-MGS4 (awesome all around, yet sorta hard to get myself to play through it again to unlock secret ancient special japanese gun)
-LBP (instantaneously very amusing, although a lot of user generated content is totally garbage)

it also plays movies goodly.

You know after playing the Uncharted demo i just felt like it was eh.. Never really got the whole "wow" factor for uncharted. Maybe if i got past whatever the demo offered it would change but eh..

Like many demos it really doesn't do the full game justice, from what I remember of the demo it is probably one of blandest parts of the game.

consider myself a hardcore fps'er. resistance 1 was crap compared to gears.

Any hardcore fps'er would never call Gears a fps tho ;)

well i could argue that pointlessly and id be wrong by definition, but come on, over the shoulder gears is essentially an fps. except you can see your guy, so its not an fps.

but come on, its an fps. otherwise i guess im satisfied calling it an otss (over the shoulder shooter?)

Back