Game Recommendation? - MMO

Ogre67

Limp Gawd
I recently switched back to night shift and need something beyond SC2 and LOL to waste my time on. Saw Age of Wushu on TV this afternoon and made me wonder if I missed anything in the mmo world.

I just got done reading The Secret World thread and it seems promising, but its 29.99 and I wonder since its been out so long if Ive missed the boat. Mainly like the idea of zombie/occult/horror mmo and the visuals look good. Also heard some good things about Age of Wushu and its "sandbox" style and the idea of offline leveling appeals as well.

Any thoughts on these two or any other recommendations? I dont think Ive played any recent MMO's since I got burnt on AOC way back when. I still say that was fraud to make the beta to level 20 awesome and then the rest of the game blow.

Definitely not looking for anything with to serious of a time commitment (Like wow), just a fun game I can get on at 2am and adventure.

Any thoughts?

Are you ok with a monthly subscription? FFXIV: A Realm Reborn will be released in a few months and is very accessible and mostly aimed towards casual players. Maybe sign up for the beta and give it a try:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/

You're just in time for Neverwinter if that floats your boat. It launches tomorrow. I have been burned out on the MMO scene for quite awhile, however I tried one of the beta weekends for that game and was pleasantly surprised. Combat was pretty fun and the time commitments seem pretty acceptable considering it's free to play.

I'm gonna give it a go tomorrow when it "officially" launches. Couldn't hurt to try it, it's free to play with the usual microtransaction shop. I'd say check out some gameplay vids and see if interests you.

FFXIV: A Realm Reborn ... is very accessible and mostly aimed towards casual players.
They don't make many like that now days. I'm sure it will be very successful for doing something no one else is doing.

I'm not currently playing an MMO but I've tried every single one of them out there. Best one IMO is Rift. You can hop on for 15 minutes or hours. Has instant adventure which pops you straight into a group questing out in the world. PvP queue puts you in PvP battlegrounds. Dungeon finder groups you up and puts you into an instanced dungeon. Easy access and very fun game.

I really like the Secret World's atmosphere and since it is FtP, I can pop in and out without spending a monthly fee. You could get for $24 at GreenManGaming.

I started playing Guild Wars 2 recently. It's nice because there's no monthly subs and you don't even need a group to play with people. There's "public quests" so to speak. You run around doing your own thing and if one of these pops up, someone in chat usually announces it and everyone converges on the area. Your participation alone gets you loot and experience, no need to "tag" enemies or spend the time finding groups. I haven't reached end game yet so I do not know how dungeons work.

Guild Wars 2 is a revolutionary MMO.

Each race has it's own starting area, which can create a 180 degree different aesthetic experience. If you don't like your class or race's starting area, pick another one.

The Sylvari race's homeworld is paradise like Hawaii + New Zealand. Breathtaking.

There is an internal sale once a month, so I bought it for $40 rather than $60.

Periodically, they have a free weekend ( it takes a couple of days to figure out if you like your race & class though ). I snuck into the free weekend a couple of days early.

Guild Wars 2 is a revolutionary MMO.

Each race has it's own starting area, which can create a 180 degree different aesthetic experience. If you don't like your class or race's starting area, pick another one.

The Sylvari race's homeworld is paradise like Hawaii + New Zealand. Breathtaking.

There is an internal sale once a month, so I bought it for $40 rather than $60.

Periodically, they have a free weekend ( it takes a couple of days to figure out if you like your race & class though ). I snuck into the free weekend a couple of days early.

Please don't spread propaganda. There's nothing revolutionary about it at all. It's a DIFFERENT MMO, and it's only different because of its game world, and the story. That's about it. Everything else has basically been done before. That's like saying the Shake Weight will produce rippling muscles.

That having been said, I never had an issue with it, and I'm generally really easy to please as well. The more mainstream MMO players (not me anymore) will agree that there's no real substance to the game after you're done leveling, unless you really like PvP, or you really like making new characters. If that's your cup of tea, game on.

Races having their own starting area is new? I guess reality is what you make it.

What about DOTA2? I never played it, but its always on top of the steam most played games

I thought Dota 2 was a moba? Anyway, I would second guild wars 2, but since there's so many F2P MMO's why not try them before going P2P...

Please don't spread propaganda. There's nothing revolutionary about it at all. It's a DIFFERENT MMO, and it's only different because of its game world, and the story. That's about it. Everything else has basically been done before. That's like saying the Shake Weight will produce rippling muscles.

That having been said, I never had an issue with it, and I'm generally really easy to please as well. The more mainstream MMO players (not me anymore) will agree that there's no real substance to the game after you're done leveling, unless you really like PvP, or you really like making new characters. If that's your cup of tea, game on.

1) Dynamic group questing.

2) De-levelling.

3) Multiple ways to solve a quest ( 4 ).

4) Being able to play as NPC characters ie. being turned into a Treant and using specific Treant skills to solve quests.

Which MMOs have done those things?

2) De-levelling.

4) Being able to play as NPC characters ie. being turned into a Treant and using specific Treant skills to solve quests.

You think that when you pop into an area and have a quest available, that's on a strict TIMER is revolutionary? Staying the same level as others to make things "challenging" is neat, but it isn't breath-taking by any means. I suppose if you like staying on your toes at all times, it's ok, but I'd rather have more zones with tougher enemies personally. Not sure what you mean by multiple ways to solve a quest, it's monotonous either way and gets you the same result.

The concept of taking control of an NPC isn't anything new, as even WoW would let you take control of something else like a vehicle or a giant, and let you use its abilities.

Don't get me wrong, I like GW2 (and when I say I like it, I mean it's a great way to kill time, since the spell effects are great and the combat/grouping to me is fun), but revolutionary, it is not.

There's no real challenge, there's no incentive to get to the end, and there's definitely nothing great about the story. I suppose that may be me, but I like those 3 to come together.

Last edited by a moderator:
quite frankly, none of them are that good...you'll get a month or 2 of fun from them but thats about it

no one has mentioned AION but I played that the longest and its F2P model is very good

2) De-levelling.

Everquest and Everquest 2 have done that years ago. You must work for ArenaNet to advertise a failed game like GW2 (yes, it failed, don't even try to argue that one) to that extent.

I've been playing SWTOR again lately. It's in a pretty good state right now, and if you're a Star Wars fan at all you should at least level up one character to experience the storyline. You can subscribe or play for free.

Everquest and Everquest 2 have done that years ago. You must work for ArenaNet to advertise a failed game like GW2 (yes, it failed, don't even try to argue that one) to that extent.

Failed how?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2

"A method for success: Guild Wars 2 sells 3 million copies in a changing MMO market
By Anthony John Agnello — January 16, 2013"

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...ls-3-million-copies-in-a-changing-mmo-market/

I played about 170 text games ( MUDS ) 1995+ so I skipped all of the first generations of graphical MMOs and only played WoW, to see why people were getting cracked out on it ( I was underwhelmed ). So relative to the text games and WoW, it's different enough to warrant playing. There's stuff that I don't like but I'm level 42/80 so I'll have to wait and see ( lack of dedicated healer classes and specific, rather than generic classes, limited grouping and guilds, group dungeons starting at level 30 ).

Races having their own starting area is new? I guess reality is what you make it.

My point was that I started as a Norn necromancer and the snowy, desolate, barren starting area and my class just wasn't interesting to me, so I ditched the character, in in favour of a Sylvari Ranger. The experience was like night and day.

Failed how?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2

"A method for success: Guild Wars 2 sells 3 million copies in a changing MMO market
By Anthony John Agnello — January 16, 2013"

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...ls-3-million-copies-in-a-changing-mmo-market/

I played about 170 text games ( MUDS ) 1995+ so I skipped all of the first generations of graphical MMOs and only played WoW, to see why people were getting cracked out on it ( I was underwhelmed ). So relative to the text games and WoW, it's different enough to warrant playing. There's stuff that I don't like but I'm level 42/80 so I'll have to wait and see ( lack of dedicated healer classes and specific, rather than generic classes, limited grouping and guilds, group dungeons starting at level 30 ).

Well we agree on some things at least.

It's a great game if you look past all the little things that are available in other MMOs. That's not to say that these exclusions are NECESSARY for a great MMO, but it's something we're all accustomed to. I like the holy trinity to be honest with you.

The main appeal of WoW, to me at least, was when I first started playing, it was a great learning experience, as is any MMO. But once you get into the "grind", any MMO is the same really. The other appeal is raids, but again, not for everyone. The social aspect is what drives MMOs to be honest with you, but if there's too much missing from the game, it might as well be a text based chat.

My point was that I started as a Norn necromancer and the snowy, desolate, barren starting area and my class just wasn't interesting to me, so I ditched the character, in in favour of a Sylvari Ranger. The experience was like night and day.

That's definitely something I like and support in MMO's, but it isn't something that's new to the genre.

I've never played a graphical MMO that was as good as the best text games ( Medievia.com ). The core game mechanics got lost in translation moving from text-based games to graphical. In the old MUDs ( at least, the combat-oriented DIKUs ), people would fight over resources ( creatures ) and if they were in a neutral player killing zone, they could fight each other, with the loser being tossed into the trash heap ( temporarily kicked out of the zone ).

Chaotic player killing zones had high experience monsters to fight but if you were killed by a player, you could be looted of your best, rare equipment. I was even looted by an NPC in a Sahuagin zone, because I was wearing a torch item when I died.

All of that was possible because a large MUD would have 100 players, with a regular MUD having maybe 40 players.

Post 2000, everyone was on the Internet, there are so many people in an MMO that the concept of an "instance" had to be created which pretty much negates the entire concept of a MMO. Or in a non-instance town-zone, there was either a system of tagging or the kill-stealing was too much.

In the text games, you could multi class as Thief-Warrior-Cleric-Mage etc. and have all of those skills available to you but I've only seen something like that in Dungeons and Dragons:Online.

PVP in the text games was very tactical and could be very strategic, with planned ambushes. I've never seen that in a MMO.

Graphical MMOs are closer to MUSHes ie. care-bear style.

I love the personal quest for my Ranger character in Guild Wars 2 but it's more like I'm playing a single player game, where other people sometimes happen to be there.

You think that when you pop into an area and have a quest available, that's on a strict TIMER is revolutionary? Staying the same level as others to make things "challenging" is neat, but it isn't breath-taking by any means. I suppose if you like staying on your toes at all times, it's ok, but I'd rather have more zones with tougher enemies personally. Not sure what you mean by multiple ways to solve a quest, it's monotonous either way and gets you the same result.

The concept of taking control of an NPC isn't anything new, as even WoW would let you take control of something else like a vehicle or a giant, and let you use its abilities.

Don't get me wrong, I like GW2 (and when I say I like it, I mean it's a great way to kill time, since the spell effects are great and the combat/grouping to me is fun), but revolutionary, it is not.

There's no real challenge, there's no incentive to get to the end, and there's definitely nothing great about the story. I suppose that may be me, but I like those 3 to come together.

Appropriately titled:

Dynamic Questing for Noobs

http://www.tentonhammer.com/gw2/features/dynamic_questing_for_noobs

I'd say GW2 or FFXIV:ARR. Final Fantasy has a very rich heritage to it, and I'm sure with the amount of effort that SOE is putting into it, it'll be around for a good long while.

WoW doesn't take much of a time commitment anymore. GW2 was a such a huge disappointment that I got a refund from ArenaNet for it. TOR was enjoyable for a week or two. AION was pretty good when I played it but it was a timesink (Pre F2P). AOC is pretty decent nowadays. Rift is probably my favorite of the pay MMOs right now.

I'd probably try Neverwinter first since it's F2P and then give Rift a look if I were looking for a mainstream MMO. Barring that look for a private WoW server running classic or BC :p

WoW doesn't take much of a time commitment anymore.

Say what? How many hours a day does it take do do all the dailies for every faction available, at max level? Not to mention raid support (gathering mats etc)...

2) De-levelling.

1) Warhammer online and rift.

2) City of Heroes and Everquest 2.

3) Many many mmo's including DAOC even.

4) Many many mmo's including warhammer online as one off the top of my head as well as WOW.

Yeesh.

Say what? How many hours a day does it take do do all the dailies for every faction available, at max level? Not to mention raid support (gathering mats etc)...

Oh, do you have to do dailies for every faction available and raid? Raid support has been pretty much unneeded unless you're wanting be in a top tier raiding guild; it's been like this since before Lich King.

Last edited:
Oh, do you have to do dailies for every faction available and raid?

Also, any guild worth a damn that doesn't wipe consistently on what should be farm status within a night or two, has no mats issues, ever. It's really not much of a time commitment at all. Now back when, dear god, was it ever. The fact of the matter, is that now it's filled with mothers/fathers, and people who aren't able to follow simple directions but enjoy being yelled at night after night (not the status quo, just a generic example).

2 cents.

Oh, do you have to do dailies for every faction available and raid?

Well, you're saying it doesn't take time... I guess you get out of it, what you put into it.

Secret World is a MMO that can be 90-95% played like a single player game because it is very story focused and has in-engine cinematics for every quest

I played it like a single player game at least other than when wanting to group up for a dungeon or end-game

Definitely not looking for anything with to serious of a time commitment (Like wow), just a fun game I can get on at 2am and adventure.

so Secret World might fit the above

Gulid Wars 2 is still pretty damn active and ArenaNet has been adding free content in lately to spur end game play. I've been playing it since release and haven't stopped really.

Well, you're saying it doesn't take time... I guess you get out of it, what you put into it.

WoW gives options to both the casual players and the hard core. Having things available for both groups does not mean that it requires more of a commitment than any other MMO.

2) De-levelling.

Rift has....

1) is instant adventure. randomly join a group of people and do instant adventure quests.
2) this is Rift's mentoring system. Once you hit level 15? you can mentor down. This works with doing randomly dungeons, go back and doing old quests, instant adventures and more.
3)
4) nothing new here. Wow, Rift and other

If you want something new to try do the Rift free up to level 20. Use the dumb Raptr program. Leave Rift running (it is fine if you even dq as long as the program is still running. Rack enough hours and get the game, the expansion and 30 days of full level game time for free.

Back