Game of Thrones Season 2: Most Pirated in 2012

If you can't afford $140 that doesn't mean it's ok for you to pirate it. The entitlement mentality of people these days is unbelievable. The worst part is trying to justify your reason for downloading it. At least man up and say you're stealing.

As much as I'm against SOPA or whatever iteration it is now, when I see stuff like this it makes me want to change my mind and support it.

There is only one cable company that services my address, they face no competition in their local monopoly area, and since they are not a utility, their prices are entirely unregulated. They price their service accordingly (astronomically). Pay us what we want, or it's back to dial-up and OTA for you! I feel like I'm being extorted every month.

I don't watch GoT, but I wouldn't feel bad about downloading TV shows considering what I already charged.

While I hate piracy a lot, HBO is really asking for it to be pirated. They don't offer you their service unless you get Cable. The cheapest that is in my area is right around $140. That is for shitty cable channels with tons of commercials and then HBO which doesn't have commercials.

HBO should get with the times and offer a separate streaming service, not many people want cable anymore.

How is that HBO's fault? They make a quality TV show and I am willing to pay extra each month for HBO.

If you are not then just wait until it comes out on DVD. People saying that you have to buy cable to watch game of thrones are wrong, you can just wait until it comes out on DVD.

And of course you're far too important to wait a year to buy the season for.. a whopping $28.99 on Amazon. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
How is that HBO's fault? They make a quality TV show and I am willing to pay extra each month for HBO.

If you are not then just wait until it comes out on DVD. People saying that you have to buy cable to watch game of thrones are wrong, you can just wait until it comes out on DVD.

Ok for the record, 99% of what HBO makes is shit, the exceptions being Band of Brothers and The Pacific, perhaps this show everyone thinks is good, whatever....I have a a $100/mo cable bill myself with every option except HBO/Showtime/Skinamax because they all have 10 channels of the same fucking movie all month long that I have already seen.

his point was you cannot get HBO without first paying to get cable TV

for someone who does not have or want cable, it doesn't matter if you like HBO content or not and it doesn't matter if it is only $10 a month additional......because you can't get HBO by itself

besides whats a DVD?

I am perfectly content to wait. I just finished the fifth book and the sixth one will be coming out very soon.

I will buy the blurays from amazon or just wait until they are on Netflix.

HBO would be better off selling the episodes individually, but if they want to use the show to increase their subscriptions, then guess what that is their right. It is called capitalism people. They are making a product and the demand is increasing. So they can make it affordable if they want or they can charge out the ass. It is their decision. The fact that they are charging out the ass is increasing the amount of piracy, but then again it is still up to HBO how much they want to charge their customers.

I have downloaded plenty of TV shows online. I pay for cable, but since my stupid tuner only allows two shows to be recorded at once I download the shows I miss online. Is this pirating the shows? Probably, but do I feel bad about it? Nope. I pay for the service. Not my fault the retarded cable company has inferior technology. :D

Ok for the record, 99% of what HBO makes is shit, the exceptions being Band of Brothers and The Pacific, perhaps this show everyone thinks is good, whatever....I have a a $100/mo cable bill myself with every option except HBO/Showtime/Skinamax because they all have 10 channels of the same fucking movie all month long that I have already seen.

his point was you cannot get HBO without first paying to get cable TV

for someone who does not have or want cable, it doesn't matter if you like HBO content or not and it doesn't matter if it is only $10 a month additional......because you can't get HBO by itself

besides whats a DVD?

Bluray or DVD whatever.

And I know what his point is but if you don't feel like HBO is worth the price then you have to wait for the Blu ray or DVD to come out. Simple as that really.

Isn't GOT on tonight (or right now). I wouldn't know, I always have to wait for the next day before someone uploads it.

I pay for HBO but prefer to have full seasons. I'd rather be patient and go on a GOT binge after a season concludes, usually with single malt at my side and the wife out of town.

Bluray or DVD whatever.

And I know what his point is but if you don't feel like HBO is worth the price then you have to wait for the Blu ray or DVD to come out. Simple as that really.

it's not as much is HBO worth the price, maybe I think HBO is worth $10/mo but I don't want to pay the $100+/mo cable bill that is required to get to the point where I can pay $10/mo for HBO

that's what people are saying, HBO should sell their programs ala carte

it's not as much is HBO worth the price, maybe I think HBO is worth $10/mo but I don't want to pay the $100+/mo cable bill that is required to get to the point where I can pay $10/mo for HBO

that's what people are saying, HBO should sell their programs ala carte

They probably have an agreement with the cable companies that says they can't sell their shows for a certain period of time. That would be my guess.

They probably have an agreement with the cable companies that says they can't sell their shows for a certain period of time. That would be my guess.

they are only hiding behind the cable companies because they know on their own they would fail miserably because their entire business practice is flawed.....

they are only hiding behind the cable companies because they know on their own they would fail miserably because their entire business practice is flawed.....

If they would fail miserably on their own then it is pretty understandable why they would not do that then...

I'm against piracy, but the way TV shows are done they're really just asking to be pirated. When it comes to movies and games I think people are mostly just making up excuses to justify piracy... when it comes to TV the networks are basically giving the pirates a whole bunch of excuses because they make it such an overpriced and painful experience to actually get the damned things legitimately.

I'm against piracy and I haven't pirated GOT... but I wouldn't feel remotely bad about pirating it either because to get it legimately in Australia is a pain in the fucking arse.

I'm against piracy, but the way TV shows are done they're really just asking to be pirated. When it comes to movies and games I think people are mostly just making up excuses to justify piracy... when it comes to TV the networks are basically giving the pirates a whole bunch of excuses because they make it such an overpriced and painful experience to actually get the damned things legitimately.

I'm against piracy and I haven't pirated GOT... but I wouldn't feel remotely bad about pirating it either because to get it legimately in Australia is a pain in the fucking arse.

Fucking Australia is a great country but wow is it a "Nanny State". There is so much hand holding by the Government there over everything its astounding.

I can't imagine how frustrating it is for you. Slow internet , content always getting delayed and or censored. Huge cost.

Is HBO go censored? Thing that pisses me off is that they advertise something like "Final Destination", i go "Wow! I didn't think they'd show something that graphic!", and then realize later that all the relevant parts of the movie are cut!

What's the point of getting cable if everything on it is censored anyway? No joke, one western i watched has the guy reaching for his gun - *CUT* - everyone is on the ground.

@#$%!!!!!!!

Is HBO go censored? Thing that pisses me off is that they advertise something like "Final Destination", i go "Wow! I didn't think they'd show something that graphic!", and then realize later that all the relevant parts of the movie are cut!

What's the point of getting cable if everything on it is censored anyway? No joke, one western i watched has the guy reaching for his gun - *CUT* - everyone is on the ground.

@#$%!!!!!!!

I've used it to watch entire seasons of Curb and nothing was censored.

And of course you're far too important to wait a year to buy the season for.. a whopping $28.99 on Amazon. :rolleyes:
Important? You mean impatient? I certainly am. I don't have the patience to wait months for a show to air on TV to pay for a hard copy of it I don't want. Especially when there are HD downloads up <30 minutes after the show airs. This is 2012, not 2002. I can buy my video games the moment they are released from an online store and I own 200+ computer games that way on Steam and 5-6 more on Origin. There is no technical reason they can't do this, they are just trying to extort people for more money via cable subscriptions. I'd gladly pay HBO the $10 a month or whatever if I could watch the shows on my own time on my PC, but since that isn't an option, I'm doing what works for me. I don't disagree that it's piracy, but I don't see any other means to force them to change their business.

If you can't afford $140 that doesn't mean it's ok for you to pirate it. The entitlement mentality of people these days is unbelievable. The worst part is trying to justify your reason for downloading it. At least man up and say you're stealing.

As much as I'm against SOPA or whatever iteration it is now, when I see stuff like this it makes me want to change my mind and support it.

age old but infringement does not equal stealing.

aaannnyywaaayyy

I don't watch it, no desire to. However, I fully understand and agree with what the majority of the people are saying. It's not about not affording 140 dollars a month. It's about simply the hoops to watch one or two shows. Cable connection, plus premium channel sub for one show. These stations could go so far as to cut out the middle man and just offer a subscription service where they offer downloads/streams legally. that way people that have the channel for everything it offers get it that way, and people that literally just want that show or just hbo but not cable etc can still pay them for their work, but in a fair amount for a single service/show.

the point is that it's almost a joke that a it's less effort to download an item than it is to get it in a legit manner.

some people will always download, we've established that and its a tired back and forth. HOWEVER, many are doing it because the options presented to them are not a fair deal and then the net value for the product is far exceeded.

age old but infringement does not equal stealing.

aaannnyywaaayyy

I don't watch it, no desire to. However, I fully understand and agree with what the majority of the people are saying. It's not about not affording 140 dollars a month. It's about simply the hoops to watch one or two shows. Cable connection, plus premium channel sub for one show. These stations could go so far as to cut out the middle man and just offer a subscription service where they offer downloads/streams legally. that way people that have the channel for everything it offers get it that way, and people that literally just want that show or just hbo but not cable etc can still pay them for their work, but in a fair amount for a single service/show.

the point is that it's almost a joke that a it's less effort to download an item than it is to get it in a legit manner.

some people will always download, we've established that and its a tired back and forth. HOWEVER, many are doing it because the options presented to them are not a fair deal and then the net value for the product is far exceeded.

bah no edit. I do agree with those who say wait for the dvd set, however, from another standpoint there is still money to be made from streaming/download service, make a few bucks of the impatient ones.

Yeah, I have to get cable first to be able to watch it on HBO, then I'll have to watch it on Monday, 3AM. There's no HBO Go over here. And our internet sucks anyway.

And DVDs of TV shows are rare over here and actually quite expensive.

bah no edit. I do agree with those who say wait for the dvd set, however, from another standpoint there is still money to be made from streaming/download service, make a few bucks of the impatient ones.

Yeah, at least the video games industry has the sense to say...

"Hey look everyone! Here's an awesome new game and here's 10 easy ways to buy it so you can play it NOW!"

Where as with these TV shows it's more like...

"Hey look everyone! Here's an awesome new TV series... unfortunately to watch it you're going to have to subscribe to an overpriced cable service or wait a year and get it on DVD... but, erm... please don't pirate it?"

I'm not sure what they expect when it's so incredibly easy to pirate it, requiring a few seconds of effort to find it then a few minutes to download it... where as it's an absolute pain in the arse to buy it legitimately.

Even as someone against piracy, I'm with the pirates on this one, they need to get with the times and actually offer TV shows like this as an easy to get download and stop doing staggered releases depending on region to actually compete with piracy before I see the point in them bitching about piracy.

Well since no one pointed it out I think I need to follow with the next round of logic

25M illegal downloads x $15/month for HBO = $375M per month HBO is losing! (fuzzy logic)

Oh and those bitching about $140/month for cable? WTF??? Is that American dollars? In America? You don't have to get the entire cable/internet/phone service, shit man DirecTV? Dish? They offer service WAY cheaper, and you can slip your HBO ontop of that for like $12.

Now if your argument is "well I don't watch tv, so why should I pay for any channels...." then why would you want to pirate a TV show you hypocritical twit?!? Pay for cable/DTV/dish if you want to watch this show FFS!

Or so sorry you have a bad ass internet connection and you've decided that you can do without TV, and only use HULU + Netflix to get your TV fix... guess you obviously found some sort of limitation to your grand plan... again pay for Cable/DTV/Dish if you want to watch this show FFS.

Or wait until they actually come out on video, ditch the argument about "having to wait until they release season 2" and understand that there are no arguments you can ever make to justify why you can't watch this and "need" to pirate it.

How about this? Give me Cable a la carte and maybe I'll pay for HBO, but I'm not paying for frigging HBO to watch its one or two good shows when I'm already paying far too much for cable. The same goes for Dish. Stop with the package crap that you have me TRAPPED into and let me pick what I want. Cable tv is nothing but a media corporation scam to screw the average consumer. They even cut up the country nicely between them so they aren't competing in the same markets. Screw them.

When you go to the salad bar you aren't FORCED to eat everything, are you?

I would call it HBOStop... not go... I dumped cable 2 years ago, and use Silicon Dusts Homerun to record 2 HD channels at the same it in Windows Media Center.
With Netfix, HDTV, and Hulu, HBO Go Blow.

Make Go available for stream service only and I'll sign up.

I don't understand the calculations people are using to support their opinions that shows should be delivered a la carte.

These HBO shoes meet and/or exceed big budget production costs of films and they're put out regularly rather than one time. Yet you guys think it would be cheaper if HBO said ok fine we'll charge you per view?

They'd charge each person anywhere from $10 to $30 dollars depending on what you choose off this supposed value-menu and it wouldn't be any less expensive than the current schema. Perhaps it's because it's a racket...or perhaps it costs shedloads of money to produce the shows everyone is raving about and deliver them over other companies' wires/airwaves to your eyeballs.

broadcast TV has similar costs but it's offset by commercials...commercials that few people want to sit through as expressed in this thread and elsewhere. So clearly it's not about the cost per se but more about getting whatever you want without the requisite expense necessary to fund it.

I watched Dexter when it was free during the first season. Then it went to HBO so I miss out. Such is life.

I like drinking soda, too. It doesn't cost but pennies to produce and I can get free refills at In n Out as long as I sit there. Doesn't mean I can waltz into the supermarket and fill my cup up whenever or swap out an empty 2 liter because it shouldn't cost $1.50!

Considering I don't believe HBO has much if any presence outside the USA, what did they expect?

I pay for HBO but prefer to have full seasons. I'd rather be patient and go on a GOT binge after a season concludes, usually with single malt at my side and the wife out of town.

This is generally how I like to enjoy my shows too. 4 or 5 episode chunks at the very least. I'm not a fan of huge cliffhangers, I'd rather watch until there's a point when I can go, "OK, this seems like a decent place to stop".

Shows like Game of Thrones I actually want to continue, so I do/will buy the seasons when they're out, but I also download as I go because otherwise I can't watch it here (Japan has very little English programming, let alone in a timely manner).

Sadly, that means either buying seasons in English for ~$150 from the local video store, renting 2 episode discs for $8 each (for 1 week), ordering at import prices of ~$70-80 on amazon.co.jp, or downloading for free and then picking up the good ones again when I'm in the states.

I'm not "justifying" it, I know what I do is wrong and I'm generally not OK with it. But currently it's the only way for me to watch American T.V. shows (that I know of). Sites like NBC.com, ABC.com, CBS.com all have region specific programming and their internet stuff is not viewable outside of the U.S. I'd have no problem streaming and watching their ads IF they'd let me.

This is generally how I like to enjoy my shows too. 4 or 5 episode chunks at the very least. I'm not a fan of huge cliffhangers, I'd rather watch until there's a point when I can go, "OK, this seems like a decent place to stop".

Shows like Game of Thrones I actually want to continue, so I do/will buy the seasons when they're out, but I also download as I go because otherwise I can't watch it here (Japan has very little English programming, let alone in a timely manner).

Sadly, that means either buying seasons in English for ~$150 from the local video store, renting 2 episode discs for $8 each (for 1 week), ordering at import prices of ~$70-80 on amazon.co.jp, or downloading for free and then picking up the good ones again when I'm in the states.

I'm not "justifying" it, I know what I do is wrong and I'm generally not OK with it. But currently it's the only way for me to watch American T.V. shows (that I know of). Sites like NBC.com, ABC.com, CBS.com all have region specific programming and their internet stuff is not viewable outside of the U.S. I'd have no problem streaming and watching their ads IF they'd let me.

To expand. Comedy Central does allow streaming outside of the U.S. (at least, they allow it in Japan), so I watch South Park and Stand up stuff with their ads in just fine, they get revenue from my view and I get the content I want easily. I have yet to download anything produced by/shown on Comedy Central.

I'm lucky. My folks got a free year of HBO from their cable provider so I go to their house every Sunday to catch the new episodes. :p

...and understand that there are no arguments you can ever make to justify why you can't watch this and "need" to pirate it.

I wasn't trying to justify it so much as say, well fucking der, of course it's pirated heaps if it takes 5 seconds to pirate and is a hassle to get legitimately.

I have no problem with people pirating TV shows, I think it's wrong in the sense they make the rules and you should abide by them or not watch it, but at the same time it doesn't bother me in the slightest because at least it shows YES, people want to watch this show but NO they aren't willing to wait and YES you should offer a reasonable alternative.

http://theoatmeal.com/pl/game_of_thrones/nz

Australia isn't quite as bad as NZ... we have the option of paying a $1200 1 year cable TV subscription to see it... and it's probably censored... umm... yeah... fuck that.

On the other hand, piracy in games really pisses me off, because there IS easy alternatives like digital distribution and for the most part there's less of the staggered release bullshit that TV series have, so the message PC games piracy sends is that yeah we want the games but we just aren't willing to pay for them.

That is worst explanation for not watching a show. seriously i beg to see favorite books on big screen.

+1

As soon as I heard this series was being made into a TV show, and GRRM himself was directly involved, I knew I had to see it. Unlike the god-awful Terry Goodkind series (so bad I forget the name), this is a brilliant adaptation I literally waited years for.

Everyone dies. The end.

No, everyone does not die, his characters are simply MORTAL.
The fantasy genre has quite enough heroes who are implausibly death-proof, plenty of authors to choose from if that is your bag. Me, I'm glad there are writers like GRRM and Steven Erikson.

With the success of GOT, it gives me hope there may be a screen future for other great works. I would love to see a TV version of Malazan Empire (Erikson) or The First Law (Joe Abercrombie) - heck you could make a single series from Feist's "Magician".

Back