Game Developer Revokes Game License over Bad Review but Later Apologizes

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Oct 22, 2018.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Indie game developer HOF Studios revoked the Steam key of a Itch.io "First Access" backer for the game Depth of Extinction because the customer left a bed review. To the developer's credit, he quickly reversed his bad decision and sent the backer a new key. What was his reasoning for revoking the game license?
    He said that he was unprepared for how negative reviews would impact him emotionally after spending 3 years working on the game. He profusely apologized for his bad judgement to the user and to the community. While he surely shouldn't have revoked the key in the first place, it was very refreshing to see that he took responsibility for his actions and made his customer and community happy again. Many people and corporations nowadays aren't willing to apologize for their mistakes.

This game was my whole life for three years, and I was unprepared three weeks ago for how the launch and first wave of negative reviews would impact me emotionally. I reacted poorly to a negative review by a person who had purchased our alpha key on a different platform. I took the review personally. My response of revoking the key was wrong and I will not try to explain it away, but will take full responsibility. I gave them a new key the next morning after they emailed me and I also apologized to them over email. Here's a further apology to anyone else who is offended by these events - I am truly sorry for my actions. I'm hoping that I can use this incident to continue to grow and mature as a human and as a game developer.

trandoanhung1991 likes this.
  2. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

And people wondered what would happen when the kids who always got trophies and never told they did something wrong grew up. Well here we go. Devs can rage quit too.

jfreund, boocake, filip and 15 others like this.
  3. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 [H]ard|Gawd

Nah, I doubt those kids would be so introspective as this developer to quickly realize how much in the wrong they were.

Interesting PR tactic though.

DocNo likes this.
  4. Darunion

Darunion 2[H]4U

Fair point. Yea because now I have heard of this game and developer so if it was on purpose, maybe it worked?

5. HeadRusch

HeadRusch [H]ard|Gawd

PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY!? OH MY GOD.......WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO!?

6. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Presumably the review was done through Steam, in which case it should be flagged as "early access review" and people should take that with a massive grain of salt considering the often very unfinished nature of early access games.

7. Simmonz

Simmonz 2[H]4U

This is one reason why DRM free is important to me. A store shouldn't even be allowed to revoke anything of mine.

jfreund, naib, Wierdo and 7 others like this.
  8. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Tell that to iTunes.

9. Simmonz

Simmonz 2[H]4U

Exactly why iTunes has never and will never gotten a penny from me.

10. Sikkyu

Sikkyu I Question Reality

Apologizes because he was caught.

11. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. AKA, if you can't take criticism, don't make a game.

12. Denpepe

Denpepe [H]ard|Gawd

Gave the game back as that was more punishment then taking it away.

13. Wiffle

Wiffle Limp Gawd

Well regardless of how you want to look at it, because of his "blunder", his game is probably selling faster than it was before simply because of "publicity". Hes likely already made up for devoting 3 years to this game and then some because of this.

If there is anything to take away from Donald Trump being president its this: "Bad" publicity sells more, and gets your name out there faster than being "good". You just have to appear to be "less bad" than your opponents.

tunatime likes this.
  14. chameleoneel

chameleoneel 2[H]4U

I wonder why a dev even has the access to revoke a key. Seems like that should be a Steam staff thing...

/dev/null likes this.
  15. /dev/null

/dev/null [H]ardForum Junkie

I wondered the same thing...

16. deaedius

deaedius Gawd

The game probably phone home in some way, and the key seemed to be unique being first access type of key. Was probably a way to validate the type of key it was.

17. rezerekted

rezerekted 2[H]4U

Revoking the key without a refund is just criminal.

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  18. /dev/null

/dev/null [H]ardForum Junkie

Agreed.

If pirating a game is "theft", then revoking a key of someone who purchased it should also be considered "theft" & criminal charges should be brought, IMHO.

Bcc335 and The Mad Atheist like this.
  19. ChoGGi

ChoGGi [H]ard|Gawd

The dev forgot people have opinions... :)

20. Pez

Pez [H]ard|Gawd

Video rundown of what happened for those who care.

21. Submarinesailor

Submarinesailor [H]Lite

And then he apologized in public. A win for humanity.

22. ChoGGi

ChoGGi [H]ard|Gawd

Oh, I have nothing against the dev, just found it funny.