GALLERY! Show off your HTPC!

enforcer17 said:
Actually the DVI connector on newer HDTVs are not meant for use with computers. You'll see it stated in all the manuals. If you notice, on a video card, there are four extra pins that are not on the DVI connector for a TV.

You can get a component converter thingy from ATI's website which will display much crisper picture then S-Video / Composite

This was already answered pretty much but to clarify; the difference you speak of is DVI-I versus DVI-D; whereas DVI-I has four additional pins to carry the RGB analog signal for backwards compatibility and DVI-D does not. DVI-D is strictly digital.

Most video cards now adays will have support for both modes of operation but if you're unsure, check the specs of your video card and/or HDTV.

Generally speaking DVI-D will work on a DVI-I signal (because it only uses the digital side and ignores the analog) but a DVI-I cable will not work on a DVI-D due to the fact that the extra pins have no where to go.

kewl. Thanks for clearing that up again. Now I can try using the DVI with my new Sony HDTV

Just done today
Worklog at http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=814060

gloass3.JPG

homeplace.JPG

PcChips something motherboard w/ Duron 750, 96MB ram, 4 gig HD, GeForce2 gts w/ s-video out to 30" tv, santa cruz w/ digital out to DSP. All controled via Radmin, infra red mouse or mostly gamepad joystick.

codeflux said:

i'm in the process of building an HTPC out of spare/old computer parts.

I saw your pics posted in the gallery, and read the whole work log. very very impressive.

I just had a few questions for you

1) how did you wire the power and reset buttons together so you have to press both (idiot proofing)

2) how did you cut/bend/drill/screw/fabricate your own brackets? I have no experience with working with metal, and would like some pointers.

3) there's a section where you reused a piece of the old PCB that had the power buttons, and wired it as a keyboard to the VFD. What exactly does that mean, what's it do?

4) How did you change the LED in the cdrom drive? could you suggest a place where I could buy LED's? did you get the LED's that are "plug and play" or did you have to add resistors and all that? do you have a tutorial site on doing that?

5) do you have a tutorial on how to rewire a usb cable to mate with an onboard header?

6) did you repaint the final product (the entire case)? what kind of paint did you use?

thanks for any info!! :d

Codeflux's case is really nice. That almost looks like a webtv box or something.

Edit: ahh, formerly a karoake box

emorphien said:
good crap man, if you've got a 50" plasma screen, get some better speakers!

Dam I know. I have a question. How would i go about connecting a receiver to the HTPC? Those Z680's were the best computer speakers I could buy at the time - and they sound pretty good, but I need to step it up so hit me with some suggestions.

BTW - that's Doom3 at 1024x768 not widescreen, just stretched I guess.

the Mutt

clarkkent333 said:
Thats the first thing that came to mind. Your not doing yourself justice with those z-680's. If your going to fork over 5k for a TV you should at least be able to budget $500 for speakers and an amp. Hell even a boxed Onkyo set for $400 would be better than that.

BTW - Your TV looks amazing.

Thx fer the props guys/gals?? hehe.. Need some suggestions for the replacement speakers...

the Mutt

Roger that. I must be working too [H]ard, can't believe I didn't think of that...
yikes. Off to bed and a glorious 4 days off, maybe I'll start hunting down the receiver/speaker replacements.

Muttly

not quite as pimp as some of you :)
and please excuse the poor image qual off my zire 71 pda camera :)

52137.jpg

52139.jpg

52138.jpg

vid:
27" toshiba flat tv (new.. but not nearly big enough)
19" older samsung monitor

audio:
kenwood vr-506 reciever (yes I know it needs to be upgraded :) )
4x athena b2 speakers
1x athena center
1x athena sub (10" 400Watt peak)

inputs:
box from sig
ps2
gamecube

Not too shabby for being 23, just outa shool.. and living w/ the 'rents :p

Hey guys,

I've been lurking around this forum for quite some time, but haven't posted much since I didn't have a HTPC. But, I just finished setting mine up, minus the OS, and I thought I'd share. I'm planning on grabbing WMC2005 soon, and once I get that, I'll install it and be ready to game and watch movies, etc. I don't have a TV tuner in the system, and theres actually a logical reason for that. The TV doesn't look too good on standard TV, and the only high-def tuner I know of thats out (ATI's) requires me to have a goddamn antenna sticking out, which pretty much ruins my setup. I'd love to have one that shares the same Comcast box I use (I don't want two boxes either), but I don't think thats possible at the time, so for the time being, I'll stick with my Tivo on the other TV. This setup was really meant for gaming, and I can't wait to try it out with Flight Simulator 2004, Doom 3, Far Cry, and HL2 whenever it comes out :).

My specs are in the picture. The TV is a Samsung HL-P5085W 50" DLP HDTV. It's an awesome TV, costed a lot, but most def. worth it. It's connected via DVI, so the quality is great, and sound goes through the stereo. Any questions, or comments, feel free :).

CrimandEvil said:
Thats a nice setup Daniel. :)

I agree. A little cable management (every techie's worst nightmare) and it will be damn sweet. I envy DVI. my next projector will have it. I hope. maybe.

schapman, way to work with your space! you managed to put a full HT in a small space without it looking out of control.. that is good work.

IDversusEGO said:
I agree. A little cable management (every techie's worst nightmare) and it will be damn sweet. I envy DVI. my next projector will have it. I hope. maybe.

schapman, way to work with your space! you managed to put a full HT in a small space without it looking out of control.. that is good work.

I think I've done all I can regarding cable management without going and buying longer cables, which are hella expensive. Plus, there are so many damn cables that I need, its such a hassle :(. I wish they had a totally wireless solution, now THAT would rule.

IDversusEGO said:

Well.. you know it's the "Kick the Cheat the Cheat" that makes the system work :) and if only you could see udner the desk.. ooooooh the wires :(

Daniel-SLCentral said:
I think I've done all I can regarding cable management without going and buying longer cables, which are hella expensive. Plus, there are so many damn cables that I need, its such a hassle :(. I wish they had a totally wireless solution, now THAT would rule.
I am right htere with you. I hated having to run cable sto my ceiling for the projector.

Thats the first thing that came to mind. Your not doing yourself justice with those z-680's. If your going to fork over 5k for a TV you should at least be able to budget $500 for speakers and an amp. Hell even a boxed Onkyo set for $400 would be better than that.

BTW - Your TV looks amazing.

Any other suggestions for my speaker replacements??

and they're gonna kick my z-680's?? they don't look that much better...dam 700 stirling is a load of cake...

Mutt

I really dont think there is a comparison... Kef have been making speakers since the 60's. Im sure the Logitechs are great, but you dont see Logitech speakers in Hi-Fi mags do you.......

If you are going to fork over $700 for a speaker system, stop looking at PC systems and go look at a receiver and speaker set. Go to BestBuy/CircuitCity/Tweeter/InsertYourFavoriteAudioStoreHere and lock yourself in the speaker room.

Give each a listen -- even bring in a CD of your own stuff and ask them if they'll let you audition them. If they know you're in the market and are more or less going to buy a speaker system from them, most places will have no problem with that.

Look at Klipsch, Polk, JBL, Yamaha and Sony and keep in mind your sub is probably going to be the most expensive single piece in your speaker set. For a reciever look at Onkyo, Yamaha and Sony. If you're looking for a receiver with DVI in's and outs well then we're already out of your price range but if you're just looking for something to drive your other inputs (component, svideo, etc) and supply a good beefy sound then most places will sell you a 6.1/7.1 with at least s-video up-conversion for around $299 or so.

Might be a tight fit for $700 and in reality you might have to spend a little more, but I think you'll have a better sounding system in the long run. Just stay away from all-in-one systems and far away from Bose.

Orinthical said:
If you are going to fork over $700 for a speaker system, stop looking at PC systems and go look at a receiver and speaker set. Go to BestBuy/CircuitCity/Tweeter/InsertYourFavoriteAudioStoreHere and lock yourself in the speaker room.
QFT Spending close to $700 on PC speakers is a waste of money and just stupid.

Those Kef's are not PC speakers and actually perform quite well. I have put them in at more than a few customers second surround setups and will probably be adding them to my bedroom setup soon.

Bighitter said:
Those Kef's are not PC speakers and actually perform quite well. I have put them in at more than a few customers second surround setups and will probably be adding them to my bedroom setup soon.
Some knowledgeable sounding fellow in the other thread claims Kef isn't what it used to be. No longer made by the english since they were bought by some japanese company. Just a heads-up before you spend a boatload on high-end speakers (if true of course). But then again your pretty experienced with them already so....your the more qualified judge in this matter ;)

I would personally recommend Harman Kardon... I have their AVR 210 (model #?) and it is amazing. Great company with a great quality product.

While I agree with the other poster that Kef's were amazing speakers in the earlier days. They still are good speakers that I have no problem recommending to friends or customers. Infact they are in my theater now. Guess I will have to post pics of it soon.

I would also add a second recommendation for Harman as I have had 2 recievers of thiers and loved both. I currently run the AVR-525 in my bedroom after adding a Denon 3805 to my theater.

What do you guys think about Mission speakers?
Am still shopping around the idea of the upgrade (mostly with my wife) but would certainly like to go this route.
Are there any receivers that can go DVI in - out? I looked for ages and couldn't find any. But I live in asia...not like I can just wander down to Best Buy and sort myself out in one go.
Thanx for all the input anyway, it's great!

Mutt

Bomber said:
I won't embarass myself by posting my Gateway Destination (circa 1999) on the 27" Gateway monitor. :cool: BUT I am working on it successor right now. :)

Gotta love those Destination monitors. I have a the 32" one myself. Picked it up cheap from a company that upgraded to a DLP projector.

Sexual Chocolate,
How did you get the text so clear? I'm having problems outputing from a Geforce 6800 through DVI.

The text is alright, but no where as clear as yours. It is a lot better than using S-video though.

[PICS AS SOON AS I GET HOME]

My HTPC rig:
MSI Mega 180
2400 Sempron
512 Meg Muskin 3200
200 gig HDD
4X cdrw (old part I had lying around)

Right now its just running vanilla XP pro, and outputting to my HDTV via svideo as well as through a monitor switch to a troubleshooting monitor. Eventually, I'm gonna get a 9600XT all in wonder and output HD signal as well as record video.

As far as audio, its running to my JVC reciever using optical. Soundstorm does realtime DD encoding.

It's all controlled by a gyration keyboard/mouse combo and 4 Play Station 2 controllers.

Its an all purpose system really, it plays games, movies. music, emulators, and can also be used to type up a document if my wife doesn't feel like peeling herself off the sofa

Back