GALLERY! Show off your HTPC!

durban38 said:
CrimsonSky, that a cool case. Where did you get that knob, and what does it do?

anything he wants, it hooks via USB and can be probabily intercepted by girder ;)

Just finished putting together my Media Center box:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0E CPU
Zalman CPNS7000A-Cu CPU heatsink/fan
Asus P4P800-SE motherboard
512MB DDR400 Kingston memory
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Pro + DVI-to-Component adapter
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Seagate 160GB SATA
16x Sony DVD, silver colored
Microsoft Optical Desktop Pro (kb + mouse)
Wireless 802.11g
Antec Overture case
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004
Running at 720p
Hauppauge PVR-250MCE is on its way (ordered separately due to enormous pricing difference)

The TV is a Sony KV34HS510: it's a 34" HDTV monitor. Perfectly sized for my preferences, and it supports every single HD resolution.

Now I need to get a sound system.

sonyxpmce.jpg

MaddJoser said:
Hows the text look on that tv? that was my second choice. Excellent tv

It looks good. Windows is quite usable at 720p. I actually set the resolution to 1168x672 using the ATI control panel's custom HDTV resolutions.

joose, Looks like it's running at the wrong resolution there --- appears to be horizontally stretched.

rolo said:
joose, Looks like it's running at the wrong resolution there --- appears to be horizontally stretched.

yes i know... resolution has been fixed... that pic was from awhile back before Nvidia put out a decent HTPC driver.

'taint much and its on a 14 inch TV :rolleyes:

Specs:

AMD 2000+ @ 1.2 ghz
512 PC2100
80 gig drive
16x DVD reader
Abit VA-10 mobo
GeForce4 Ti4200 card
Hauppauge WinTV 250
Crappy cheap case :)

open.jpg

front.jpg

running.jpg

Using meedio for the "OS", WinTV if i need to watch something. I have a mini PS2 keyboard and an Intellimouse hooked up, works for now since my room is small. Need to get those wireless for when I move into my apt. It will also be on a much bigger and better screen then. I use the remote for nearly everything but I use the mouse and keyboard when I play JDoom on it :) thats going to be sweet with the bigger TV. Runs great, gets really hot (and as you can see its a rats nest) but I'm modding the top for a 120mm fan, thats why theres no top on it now. That and it gets hot as hell in my room (3 computers and a tv, come on!)

rolo said:
Just finished putting together my Media Center box:

Intel Pentium 4 3.0E CPU
Zalman CPNS7000A-Cu CPU heatsink/fan
Asus P4P800-SE motherboard
512MB DDR400 Kingston memory
Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600 Pro + DVI-to-Component adapter
Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Seagate 160GB SATA
16x Sony DVD, silver colored
Microsoft Optical Desktop Pro (kb + mouse)
Wireless 802.11g
Antec Overture case
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004
Running at 720p
Hauppauge PVR-250MCE is on its way (ordered separately due to enormous pricing difference)

The TV is a Sony KV34HS510: it's a 34" HDTV monitor. Perfectly sized for my preferences, and it supports every single HD resolution.

Now I need to get a sound system.

[]http://www.wsu.edu/~rolo/sonyxpmce.jpg[/]

thats MCE running? looks JUST like meedio, at least the skin I'm using. I might have to swap OSes for that since it has the mini video preview thing

kronchev said:
thats MCE running? looks JUST like meedio, at least the skin I'm using. I might have to swap OSes for that since it has the mini video preview thing

I doubt meedio looks nearly as nice as MCE, which uses Direct3D to nice effect ;) Plus, doesn't meedio lack TV? Btw that video in the lower left isn't a preview, it's a real DVD that's playing. Nice to be able to jump around the UI without stopping whatever it is you're playing / watching.

Well, shes not a HTPC, but she's my new setup! Thanks for the help in determining how I should go about it, guys. <3 @ [H]

hometheater.jpg

rolo said:
I doubt meedio looks nearly as nice as MCE, which uses Direct3D to nice effect ;) Plus, doesn't meedio lack TV? Btw that video in the lower left isn't a preview, it's a real DVD that's playing. Nice to be able to jump around the UI without stopping whatever it is you're playing / watching.

well..yeh. i really need a copy :(

xENO,

you might wanna move the DVD player on the little table to the right of the TV. Then move the TV into the corner more so the people on the right couch can see it better.

Some really nice setups here.

Zuht said:
Do the front A/V inputs work?
If you have a Hauppauge card give me a PM and "we'll talk" :)

kronchev said:
anything he wants, it hooks via USB and can be probabily intercepted by girder
There was a girder plugin written for it but I don't know how far the development has come, Griffen was suppose to release an SDK for it but agian I have no idea if they have yet. I do hear that the software for it is pretty robust and can be programmed for "application profiles" or something like that. I still have yet to pick one up for "testing" though.;)

Hey kronchev you might want to try out SageTV along with Meedio, I'm having a blast with it. :D Sort of makes you forget about MCE real quick. lol

kronchev said:
well..yeh. i really need a copy :(

It's pretty hard to get a hold of, legitimately, without either buying a knowing certain people.

I have finally broke down and decided to put this setup together and use it with my tv:
Antec Aria case
P4 2.6C
2x256 Geil PC3200
Abit IS-10
Radeon 9600 with ATi HDTV adapter
60GB Western Digital, Toshiba DVD Rom
Firewire card and 802.11a,b,g 108mb, Logitech Cordless Mx duo
Video displayed on Toshiba 57HX81
Audio run through Denon AVR3802 and Jamo D5 series speakers

Installing this gave me a very good excuse to rewire all of my other audio/video components (it is hard to find 12ft cables ;-) ) Also, excuse the mess, heh. I am still messing with powerstrip to get correct resolutions working, so if anyone uses Toshiba HX81 series TV, let me know what works best for you.

htpc1.JPG

htpc2.JPG

WS6 said:
My HTPC is the P3 450 in my sig.
I use UltraVNC to control the unit from my main PC.
You can see the top of the HTPC in the bottom left hand side of this picture, it is the case under the desk with the kb sitting on top of it,
desk-new.jpg

What's up with the Britney Spears poster??? That's not very [H]ard

2.4c p4
512mb samsung 1200rambus
120gb wd se
asus p4t-533
ati 9600pro aiw w/ component out
sb live
linksys 802.11g pci
silverstone case/ps
jvc 65" hdtv
recently upgraded with logitech cordless desktop MX for bluetooth (awesome mouse/keyboard, couldn't be happier)
hometheater.jpg

Eep..quick question guys, I'm getting the sexy Samsung 50" DLP TV (here), and I was wondering what is better to connect my Shuttle XPC with 9800 Pro to it, DVI or some kind of other cable (s-video, component, etc.) I'm under the impression that DVI is best, but I'm not sure.

Actually the DVI connector on newer HDTVs are not meant for use with computers. You'll see it stated in all the manuals. If you notice, on a video card, there are four extra pins that are not on the DVI connector for a TV.

You can get a component converter thingy from ATI's website which will display much crisper picture then S-Video / Composite

enforcer17 said:
Actually the DVI connector on newer HDTVs are not meant for use with computers. You'll see it stated in all the manuals. If you notice, on a video card, there are four extra pins that are not on the DVI connector for a TV.

You can get a component converter thingy from ATI's website which will display much crisper picture then S-Video / Composite

newegg also carries the converter.

Now the question is ... how does one do component-out for an NVIDIA card?

The reason for the warnings is so that people don't burn in thier new tv's the extra 4 pins are what carry the RGB signal so that the connector is backwards compatible.

DSCN0213%20small.jpg

50 inches of Samsung Plasma goodness...

DSCN0207%20small.jpg

DSCN0208%20small.jpg

Prince of Persia at 1366x768

DSCN0211%20smallfix.jpg

o and Doom 3...scares my pants right off!!

Just my 2 cents worth.

HTPC
SN41G2 v2
Barton 3000+ @2.3G
1G PC3200 Kingston
Radeon 9800 Pro @420/352
Z680's
Gyration stuff

mutthead21 said:
DSCN0213%20small.jpg

50 inches of Samsung Plasma goodness...

DSCN0207%20small.jpg

DSCN0208%20small.jpg

Prince of Persia at 1366x768

DSCN0211%20smallfix.jpg

Just my 2 cents worth.

HTPC
SN41G2 v2
Barton 3000+ @2.3G
1G PC3200 Kingston
Radeon 9800 Pro @420/352
Z680's
Gyration stuff

Looks sweet as hell but I wouldnt run an HTPC on a plasma... burn-in is a big issue on those sets... not worth ruining a $4k+ TV IMO

Joose said:
Looks sweet as hell but I wouldnt run an HTPC on a plasma... burn-in is a big issue on those sets... not worth ruining a $4k+ TV IMO

I've heard that too. thats why I've stayed away from plasma....aside from the price of course :rolleyes:

mutthead21 said:
DSCN0211%20smallfix.jpg

Just my 2 cents worth.

HTPC
SN41G2 v2
Barton 3000+ @2.3G
1G PC3200 Kingston
Radeon 9800 Pro @420/352
Z680's
Gyration stuff

How did you get doom3 going widescreen?

Since everyone else is showing off theirs I thought that I would contribute with my ugly little setup.

http://izasylum.com/pics/closedsmall.jpg

http://izasylum.com/pics/opensmall.jpg

Probally would be nice to list what this thing has in it.

Proc: AXP2100
MB: Cheap Shuttle KT333 board
Vid: ATI All in Wonder 9600
Mem: 512 of the cheap stuff
Sound: Onboard
DVD: Samsung 12X/8X Internal DVD±R/RW
HDDs: One WD 30 GB drive for the OS and Apps
One WD 200 GB drive for the media
Speaker: Logitech Z-2200s
Keyboard: Ancient PC Concepts IR keyboard.

Joose said:

The chances of burn-in are no greater on a plasma than a direct view or RP CRT if you're using the newest generation of plasmas. It's essentially the same technology, burn-in can happen, but if you don't run in torch mode the odds of it happening are not good.

YanN1ck said:
Don't some of the newer plasmas have rotating pixels to prevent burn-ins?

Sort of - what they do is shift every pixel to the left/right/up/down for a couple seconds at a specified time the user selects if he is worried about burn-in.

I use a plasma at work as a computer monitor only. I sit and look at code in the same program all day long and I have no burn-in. I am sure I could burn in it, but it would probably take a static image left on the screen for a weak to do it. Generally I still think LCDs are better as a primary HTPC, but if you're using your plasma that you use for HD and DVDs to play games and stuff you'll be fine.

Will share my week old HTPC setup. Still in the process of getting a new table to fit everything there. Will post another picture when everything is set including furniture.

Not one of the best HTPC setup, but it does the job.

1.jpg

Antec Aria
AMD 2600+
Shuttle MN31N
512MB Corsair DDR333
80GB HD
Lite-On 812S DVD Burner
BBA ATI 9800 PRO
Win XP Pro
Meedio

Senn. 497

Lite-On Wireless HTPC Keyboard/Mouse

PSX to USB Adapter w/ PS2 Dualshock 2

Philips 27" HDTV

Playstation 2 Version 7

emorphien said:
good crap man, if you've got a 50" plasma screen, get some better speakers!

Thats the first thing that came to mind. Your not doing yourself justice with those z-680's. If your going to fork over 5k for a TV you should at least be able to budget $500 for speakers and an amp. Hell even a boxed Onkyo set for $400 would be better than that.

BTW - Your TV looks amazing.

JackieO said:
Sort of - what they do is shift every pixel to the left/right/up/down for a couple seconds at a specified time the user selects if he is worried about burn-in.

RAA no wonder my hdtv picture moves around! I have a projection hdtv that does this. Kinda annoyed me because I was trying to get myth tv to fit in the overscan.

man, you guys have some kick ass setups. i can't wait until i am out of college and have a place of my own. it will be sweet :)

but for now, i will just keep dreaming...

Back