Galaxy Tab 7.7

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Any thoughts on this tablet yet?

Ever since I got my Galaxy Nexus, I've pretty much been obsessed with OLED and can't stand my Transformer any more. Not even the retina display on the iPad 3 is able to wrestle me away from how much of a difference no backlight makes.

I've done a little research and there doesn't seem to be any OLED tablet alternative to the 7.7, other than the Toshiba one.

I'm strongly considering this tablet after seeing my friend's 7.7 over the weekend. The screen is just beautiful. I watched some of the movie, Warrior, on it. Awesome!!

I'm not ready to drop $600+ on a tablet, but if I find it on sale, I'll grab it.

Ok, I look at my transformer and I am in love with the screen. How is this screen on the tab 7.7 any better? Can it really get better?

Of course it can, OLED is basically perfect at contrast and viewing angles but less impressive if you're a stickler over color accuracy. The settings they choose are "popping" instead of accurate. :)

Of course it can, OLED is basically perfect at contrast and viewing angles but less impressive if you're a stickler over color accuracy. The settings they choose are "popping" instead of accurate. :)

Not only that, in darker settings (aka, at night), the "backlight bleed," is extremely uneven.

Of course, I know it technically has no backlight, however, when an OLED pixel is off (while the panel itself is still on), it's not really off, and produces an extremely minor amount of light. Since OLED element quality varies, the light produced is variable per pixel. While still loads better than leaky LCD panels, it's a seperate class of issues to contend with.

I've never liked it, but I put up with it on my PS Vita.

AMOLED displays seem to be hit and miss. I had two Galaxy Nexus phones, one was absolutely gorgeous and perfect. The second was afflicted with a nasty case of purple tint at almost any brightness level (it got worse with lower brightness).

And I read quite a few complaints about others that had problems with the AMOLED displays on the Galaxy Nexus as well.

But I'd probably take my chances on a Galaxy Tab 7.7 and hope to get a good one. Just I'd buy it from a place with a really good return policy in the possible event you need to exchange or give up and get a refund.

I'd love to have this tablet, but there is no wifi only model and the price is just way too high.

I got mine on Craigslist for dirt cheap so I can't complain about the price.

The "backlight bleed" is not noticeable unless the screen is completely black and you're in a dark enough room to let your eyes adjust. Under normal uses, the contrast is so high, your eyes will not be able to see any uneveness that may be present with the black.

The size is almost perfect. Maybe a tad too thin, but it's very nice and the build quality is great. The battery life is also very good.

Here are some pics.

SKINOMI SKIN
Front
6989843819_bc90d4ed86_z.jpg

Back
I cut off part of the corners in preparation for the case, but I still have the pieces if I wanted to attach them later. Normally the skin would go all the way down and wrap around the edge.
6843719626_70e2e342df_z.jpg

BOOK COVER
Propped up angle 1
6879677134_9ecfa1fefa_z.jpg

Propped up angle 2
7025776983_a3f184527d_z.jpg

Camera Cutout
It's a perfect fit!
6879733830_6e22e8d36f_z.jpg

Open flat
7025777329_988a627686_z.jpg

Open flap folded back