Galaxy S5 way better than expected

Depends on what carrier you are on.

Samsung locks their bootloaders on certain carriers...cough VZW/ATT. Thanks to Samsung's Knox and the VZW standard locked bootloader, Sammy users of the newer handsets can't even flash a custom kernel. They're forever damned to TWiz, unless they bought a GPE handset.

GPE phones aren't compatible with Verizon either :mad:. But I don't mind TW as long as I can root and install Wanam Xposed. Pretty much gives you the features and skins/colors of a custom ROM without needing to actually ROM your phone.

For the Note3 they called it the "developer's edition".

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SM-N900VMKEVZW

That's not a GPE phone. It's just a normal Note 3 with an unencrypted/unlockable bootloader. There was no GPE version of the Note 3 released either. GPE means that the phone is carrier and bootloader unlocked, while also running a stock version of Android. Not the skinned version that the phone normally comes with on other carriers. The only GPE phones available right now are the S4, HTC One M7, HTC One M8, and Xperia Z, I think.

Last edited:
VZW doesn't support GPE last time I checked.

Right, but the articles are confusing because of the term "locked bootloader". For HTC it looks like the "locked boolader" is sometimes unlockable (which to me means it is not permanently locked to begin with). My Moto is completely locked, which means flashing the wrong ROM (going back to an older version) can brick your phone. It almost sounds as if HTC is more of a soft lock but I don't fully understand as I have never owned an HTC device. If it's locked down like Samsung will be anyways, then I may as well go for the samsung phone unfortunately, due to carrier limitations.

So I would need to get a special version (GPE) of the HTC M8 in order to get the unlocked bootloader? That would be a deal breaker for me as I was going to renew using my upgrade...In which case I would go back to the Samsung. I do not like AMOLED screens fake colors to be honest, but I do like their efficiency so that's a wash for me. I was really looking forward to wireless charging while at work as well and the HTC cannot do that I guess :(

You can buy the standard One M8 from Verizon, and root it and unlock it for installing custom ROM's.

Read everything here to get comfortable with it;
http://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-htc-one-m8

You can buy the standard One M8 from Verizon, and root it and unlock it for installing custom ROM's.

Read everything here to get comfortable with it;
http://forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-htc-one-m8

Thanks you, looks like I have some research to do, don't want to get the thread too off topic but:

"built in barometer sensor" That could come in really handy for ballistic calculations.

Edit, according to xda, the verizon M8 does not have any ROMs yet because the bootloader is locked like all the other verizon phones. So I'm mod-ability over the S5 does not win the HTC M8 any points over the S5 there for me.

Last edited:
So torn on which phone is "better" One M8 or S5 ?

I am sort of sick of Touchwiz lately, and the U.S. carriers being Nazis and locking down all the new Samsung phones, not allowing custom ROM's and kernels. That really blows. And I like how developer friendly and open HTC has been lately, so easy to root and do ROM's on the new One M8, and HTC just released the kernel source today, a week after the phone came out. Plus I like to support the underdog when I can.

But the S5 might be the smarter choice overall compared to the One M8. With the S5 having slightly bigger battery, with better battery life, the S5 is waterproof, which can save your butt that one time you need it. The screen is said to be better on the S5.

My biggest features I look for in a new smartphone; #1 battery life to last 15 hours a day with heavy use, with at least 5.5h On Screen time. #2 A screen that is good outdoors in the sunlight, my current S4 sucks outside.

I repeat we still don't know about the real world battery life. Bigger battery capacity does not always mean better battery life. LG G2 still has a bigger capacity (3000mAh), and yet it has been beaten by both the new Samsung and HTC flagship with smaller capacities (2800 and 2600 respectively).

Traditionally, TouchWiz and its bloat have been one of the top reasons why HTC's flagship, despite using a smaller battery capacity, have been better than Samsung's in battery life. And this time the difference between the battery capacity is smaller than I could remember since Samsung went out on a spec war. Last year's difference is 300 mAh and yet HTC still pulled it off under real world test scenarios.

Embedded batteries with fewer connecting parts are typically more efficient. How much more depends on material and design. Much more hardware goes into making removable battery connectivity safe for reconnects.

Like I mentioned before, the battery savings compared to the Snapdragon 800 most likely come from new Qualcomm tech, the radio power envelope tracker and the antenna matching tuner. Qualcomm estimates up to 25% power reduction. HTC also has those same features from Qualcomm.

What it comes down to is screen, launcher, and bloat. And unless Samsung's newest superior visual display is also way more energy efficient than before, I'm guessing HTC takes crown on real world battery test again. Samsung's deliberate avoidance having the new HTC One on its "review" site SamMobile's battery life chart could be telling.

Last edited:
Why not buy an international version S5 from eBay unlocked and root if you're interested in custom ROMS?

My biggest features I look for in a new smartphone; #1 battery life to last 15 hours a day with heavy use, with at least 5.5h On Screen time. #2 A screen that is good outdoors in the sunlight, my current S4 sucks outside.

Sounds like a Note 3 would fit your "biggest features" if you don't mind a larger phone.

Why not buy an international version S5 from eBay unlocked and root if you're interested in custom ROMS?

How much are they going for the M8 is $100 on verizon (well 2 for $199) right now.... I'm, assuming I would be comparing $200 to $1200 to buy them with no contract? So $1000 cheaper, that's why lol.

How much are they going for the M8 is $100 on verizon (well 2 for $199) right now.... I'm, assuming I would be comparing $200 to $1200 to buy them with no contract? So $1000 cheaper, that's why lol.

LOL no kidding. Plus the One M8 can be rooted, unlocked with custom Recovery.

Because there are some who are willing to shell out extra for the international or devs editions for a device they want.

Me personally I wouldn't unless I was on a byod service.

If I upgrade my phone, and deciding between the One M8 or S5, I think my heart goes to HTC, just for the point on unlocked bootloader, and rooted super easy. I know the S5 is probably the better phone, but Samsung has been pissing me off lately. Plus they have been a little slow on updates. The Note 2 was stuck on Android 4.1 forever, and it was a flagship phone at one point. It seems HTC has been better and faster lately on updates.

But that doesn't matter to me really, I like to flash custom ROM's, and tweak my smartphone, and the S5 on a U.S. carrier will not allow that option, right now today, one week after release, the One M8 has custom ROM's already released.

This right here is the truth. After owning several Android phones, I refuse to get anything that I cannot modify. If it can't be easily unlocked, rooted and flashed then I don't want it. I'll take the loss on the extra features from the samsung if it means I can do anything I want, namely get rid of the factory bloatware.

Speaking of which, hows the bloatware on the S5?

This right here is the truth. After owning several Android phones, I refuse to get anything that I cannot modify. If it can't be easily unlocked, rooted and flashed then I don't want it. I'll take the loss on the extra features from the samsung if it means I can do anything I want, namely get rid of the factory bloatware.

Speaking of which, hows the bloatware on the S5?

Even a stock based ROM, with the bloat removed and tweaked for better battery life, is all I really want with a Custom ROM., and with that comes rooted apps of course, like AdAway, Greenify, Root Explorer, etc...

There is no way I can live with a plain Jane stock Android phone, no fucking way. I am usually a Nexus phone guy, but the battery life on the N5 won't hold up for me. The One M8 is supposed to be 40% better on battery life.

LOL no kidding. Plus the One M8 can be rooted, unlocked with custom Recovery.

The VZW HTC one M8 has a locked bootloader right now. Currently there are no ROMs for it and no wifi hotspot hack. No doubt the S5 will be delivered the same way. So either would be a downgrade from my Droid Razr Maxx in some ways, even though this thing is pretty slow.

The VZW HTC one M8 has a locked bootloader right now. Currently there are no ROMs for it and no wifi hotspot hack. No doubt the S5 will be delivered the same way. So either would be a downgrade from my Droid Razr Maxx in some ways, even though this thing is pretty slow.

Verizon One M8 root :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2699089

No unlocked bootloader yet, but all the other carrier versions of the M8 are unlocked, I would bet the Verizon M8 gets unlocked very quickly.

Verizon One M8 root :)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2699089

No unlocked bootloader yet, but all the other carrier versions of the M8 are unlocked, I would bet the Verizon M8 gets unlocked very quickly.

Are Samsung phones typically impossible to unlock the bootloaders on? Would that be similar to the Motos?

I hear the radio reception in best on Moto then HTC then Samsung, but the samsung has a lot of features like wireless charging and a brighter screen and maybe a better camera going for it.

Samsung is easy to root but it will trip Knox.

Htc modems should be the same as Samsung as they use Qualcomm.

Samsung explains how Galaxy S5′s Super AMOLED display is the best yet
http://www.sammobile.com/2014/04/04...axy-s5s-super-amoled-display-is-the-best-yet/

The biggest achievement for the Galaxy S5 display is touted to be the high brightness levels – it can attain 698 nits of brightness level when exposed to direct sunlight, making it the brightest OLED display of any smartphone. The display is also coated to reduce its reflectance level, which combines with the high brightness levels to offer great outdoor visibility, something that has been something of a weak spot for the company’s AMOLED panels in the past.

Samsung Display also talks about things like the diamond pixel arrangement of the display, and its power efficiency (27 percent more efficient than Full HD LCD displays of the same size). It’s basically another confirmation, this time from the horse’s mouth, that the Galaxy S5 has one of the nicest displays ever seen on a smartphone, and also goes to show how far Samsung’s AMOLED displays have come in a matter of four years.

The modem used isn't the only reason for reception issues.

Well the only thing I'm aware of that will hurt reception is actual materials used in the phone.

Unless there are more reasons, I haven't had issues with Samsung or htc either. Motorola for sure had the best though.

Well the only thing I'm aware of that will hurt reception is actual materials used in the phone.

Unless there are more reasons, I haven't had issues with Samsung or htc either. Motorola for sure had the best though.

Or the antennas being used and their locations.... Samsung SHOULD have better reception due to being completely plastic, but in my experience they aren't.

OTOH, Blackberry has PHENOMENAL reception.... I always attributed it to being all plastic, but there is obviously something else to it.

Or the antennas being used and their locations.... Samsung SHOULD have better reception due to being completely plastic, but in my experience they aren't.

OTOH, Blackberry has PHENOMENAL reception.... I always attributed it to being all plastic, but there is obviously something else to it.

CrackBerry's reception comes from the pixie dust they get thanks to being a soon-to-be-extinct company.

CrackBerry's reception comes from the pixie dust they get thanks to being a soon-to-be-extinct company.

How about posting something constructive like an adult instead of acting like a kid?

Not sure if you are trying to be funny but I can PROMISE you, if you were to take a new Z30 and put it beside ANY other phone on the market it would demolish the competition when it comes to signal strength.

I am NOT blowing steam... by friend owns one and we've tried it out. HTCs, Samsungs, iPhones?? NONE can touch it. Matter of fact I've seen my iPhone with NO signal, and him with 3 out of 5 bars.

Well they can be finely tuned for regions, true. But a majority of it fits start at the modem itself.

How about posting something constructive like an adult instead of acting like a kid?

Not sure if you are trying to be funny but I can PROMISE you, if you were to take a new Z30 and put it beside ANY other phone on the market it would demolish the competition when it comes to signal strength.

I am NOT blowing steam... by friend owns one and we've tried it out. HTCs, Samsungs, iPhones?? NONE can touch it. Matter of fact I've seen my iPhone with NO signal, and him with 3 out of 5 bars.

Funny because at my last job in my underground office only my fellow officerat's Crackberry completely got no reception in the office. ;)

Funny because at my last job in my underground office only my fellow officerat's Crackberry completely got no reception in the office. ;)

To be fair I don't know any phone that gets good reception underground.

Does BB OS show you the dBm values for signal strength? Because that's what you should be comparing, not bars. Some phones could rate -100 dBm as 4 bars, while other rate it as 1 bar. In other words, bars mean shit, esp. if you're not actively trying to use the phone, because some times my phones will read 3-5 bars of LTE, then when I actually try to use it, it will drop to nothing and/or fall back to 3G/1X/nothing.

Does BB OS show you the dBm values for signal strength? Because that's what you should be comparing, not bars. Some phones could rate -100 dBm as 4 bars, while other rate it as 1 bar. In other words, bars mean shit, esp. if you're not actively trying to use the phone, because some times my phones will read 3-5 bars of LTE, then when I actually try to use it, it will drop to nothing and/or fall back to 3G/1X/nothing.

What I'm saying is that he can TALK with absolutely no problems places where my iPhone has NO reception. Neither does our friend's Samsungs or HTCs.

When I say the Z30 is THE phone when it comes to reception I am not exagerating. It's phenomenal.

FWIW, I am NOT a BB fan. I could care less if they go belly up next week. I will never buy one... but the reception on my friend's Z30 is astounding.

Service is much more dependent on carrier than phone. Company issued BB would always drop when inside elevator but personal Verizon phone was fine.

BlackBerry specialized in efficient network equipment for a long time, which would help explain the reception. Arguably, that was one of the company's biggest problems in adapting to the threat from the iPhone (and eventually, Android). It was proud of radio performance that mattered primarily to carriers and on-the-fringe users, but paid little attention to ease of use, media capabilities and other things that everyday users would actually care about. The company didn't realize how important these were until it was too late.

At any rate, we're supposed to talking about the Galaxy S5. While I'm really eager to try one, it looks like the fingerprint reader can't hold a candle to that on the iPhone 5s -- at least, based on testing. That's just one piece of the phone, of course, but you can tell that Samsung didn't have access to the same kind of biometric technology as Apple (which bought AuthenTec). It'll be a shame if the GS5's reader is too impractical to use for many people.

S5's fingerprint stripe is more secure since the swiping action doesn't leave a whole fingerprint that can be lifted like on the 5S which renders it useless. Furthermore, all the other features combined like display quality and usable size, battery life, performance, 802.11ac, better and more stable OS, Google service integration, expandable storage, removable battery, Smark Dock, etc. puts the S5 further ahead.

Back