• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Galaxy S4 - Watch Thread....

The backplate is removable and made of polycarbonate.

Not really "cheap" since polycarbonate is actually more expensive than aluminum.

Polycarbonate/plastic is the future.
nah, apple was kind of right in terms of complete glass. It's the future, but wrong glass! Sapphire Glass is the future, especially for us dreamers about the transparent displays etc.
 
Samsung describes what each of the nine sensors on the Galaxy S4 does

The Samsung Galaxy S4 is one of the most feature-rich smartphones around, and it duly packs a wide array of sensors. Samsung published an image that explains what each sensor does and what feature uses it.

There are the standard sensors that have been around since smartphones first appeared, like an accelerometer, gyroscope, magnetometer and proximity sensor. But then there are unusual sensors like a humidity sensor (used by S Health to calculate “comfort level”), and others.

Here’s the image in question:

gsmarena_002.jpg


The barometer is used for quicker GPS locks, but it can also accurately calculate how many calories you’ve burned if you’re going up a hill. The gesture sensor is separate from the proximity sensor and is, of course, used for Air Gestures.

You can also read the full press release for more details on the individual sensors. For example, there are interesting tidbits like a special Micro Controller Unit (MCU) that only wakes up the powerful CPU if it’s needed. The MCU can control the sensors itself, so Samsung says the Galaxy S4 is very battery efficient despite having so many sensors.

Source | Via

http://blog.gsmarena.com/samsung-describes-what-each-of-the-nine-sensors-on-the-galaxy-s4-does/
 
How reliable will the battery be in lets say 6 month and 1 year. I am on the fence about S4 and HTC One.
My mom and a couple of my friends complain that their s2's and s3's aren't lasting a whole day and they just check mail, some quick browsing and maybe some music streaming.
 
How reliable will the battery be in lets say 6 month and 1 year. I am on the fence about S4 and HTC One.
My mom and a couple of my friends complain that their s2's and s3's aren't lasting a whole day and they just check mail, some quick browsing and maybe some music streaming.

It seems you know nothing about this phone and haven't read anything in the last few pages in this thread. If you had, then you would know that these questions either are irrelevant to this phone (battery life after 6 months to a year) or have already been answered. This phone does not compare to previous models in terms of battery size and efficiency.
 
How reliable will the battery be in lets say 6 month and 1 year. I am on the fence about S4 and HTC One.
My mom and a couple of my friends complain that their s2's and s3's aren't lasting a whole day and they just check mail, some quick browsing and maybe some music streaming.

If you want the best battery life get the SGS4, or better yet, the iPhone 5.

HTC phones are notoriously known for poor battery life and the HTC One is no exception.

The SGS4 gets a 20+ hour advantage in battery life according to GSM Arena.

LL


LL
 
If you want the best battery life get the SGS4, or better yet, the iPhone 5.

HTC phones are notoriously known for poor battery life and the HTC One is no exception.

The SGS4 gets a 20+ hour advantage in battery life according to GSM Arena.

snip

snip

So the s4 has longer idle life and the HTC One is better if you are using your phone for browsing around etc? Interesting
 
So the s4 has longer idle life and the HTC One is better if you are using your phone for browsing around etc? Interesting

Yes, do read the endurance carefully. The idle number is less useful than the other numbers really.

The One and the GS4 will have fairly similar active battery lives (but you can swap the GS4's battery if necessary).
 
ya lol how did they get a 20 hour difference from what is essentially just a couple minutes difference on tests. If I were going based on those numbers I would actually take the One, look at who cares if you get 14 more minutes in a movie? You get an extra hour web browsing with the one.
 
ya lol how did they get a 20 hour difference from what is essentially just a couple minutes difference on tests. If I were going based on those numbers I would actually take the One, look at who cares if you get 14 more minutes in a movie? You get an extra hour web browsing with the one.

That's a very naive way of looking at things.

You're not going to browse the web for more than 3 hours a day (at the most). The most I use my phone for web browsing is probably about 1 hour per day.

The vast majority of the time your phone will be idling. Hence why idle battery life is more important than web browsing battery life.
 
GSM Arena themselves explains it as closer than it really is in real world usage situation. Quite frankly, their endurance test is weird. Roaming and switching towers lower the battery life quite a bit. Unless you are not moving for 3 days somewhere with excellent coverage, I don't think you'd get anywhere close to that endurance test result. Oh, and GSM arena explains it in a similar way.

Oh, and the HTC One got an editor's choice gold award from Anandtech. What does the SGS4 got? Just kidding.
 
I'll still take the removable battery of the S4 all day. In case say a year from now the battery degrades to shit, you can at least throw a new one in there. Can't do that with the One
 
I'll still take the removable battery of the S4 all day. In case say a year from now the battery degrades to shit, you can at least throw a new one in there. Can't do that with the One
there is nothing I can tell you when you expect things to fail...
 
The SGS4 gets a 20+ hour advantage in battery life according to GSM Arena.

Misleading test for US based customers as 4G sucks up more power than 3G.
I doubt that you will get 13 hours of talk time out of either of those phones on a 4G connection.
 
Misleading test for US based customers as 4G sucks up more power than 3G.
I doubt that you will get 13 hours of talk time out of either of those phones on a 4G connection.

8 to 9 hours is my guess for real world.
 
I'll still take the removable battery of the S4 all day. In case say a year from now the battery degrades to shit, you can at least throw a new one in there. Can't do that with the One

While I'm with you here, the average smartphone user should get 2 solid years out of their battery before degradation becomes noticeable. Many will get better life than that, and two years seems to be the typical upgrade cycle.

I'm one of those guys who only gets 12-18 healthy months out of a mobile battery, but that's because I abuse them. You're going to see the majority not caring if the battery is removable or not, and that's ok. Unfortunately, this forum is divided into three groups on the issue. One group prefers removable batteries, but is ok if you don't. Another group doesn't care if the battery is removable, and respects your opinion either way. The last group just has a few vocal users, but it's the group that thinks no phones should ever have a removable battery and you're a primate for even wanting on.
 
There it goes again. I wonder whom it is completely misquoting and putting words in mouth of again... :rolleyes:

It's all fine and dandy to have a removable battery if the product is good in its own right. But expecting a device or a component of the device to fail and yet still want to get the device is something I don't quite understand.

I am considering getting the SGS4 because it's got the top components like in HTC One and a slightly better battery life. It's biggest con is its plastic and speakers suck. I don't even worry about whether the battery will fail. Cause if I do, I'd get an iPhone, where battery life is excellent and the resale value will more than makeup my cost of repair if any. There are so many repair shops and Apple warranty is also top notch. Costs $40 and 20 minutes. Reasons why expecting your device to fail should be the reason not to get a device...
 
Last edited:
That's a very naive way of looking at things.

You're not going to browse the web for more than 3 hours a day (at the most). The most I use my phone for web browsing is probably about 1 hour per day.

The vast majority of the time your phone will be idling. Hence why idle battery life is more important than web browsing battery life.

It may be naïve, that's because they didn't list the idle talk time in his picture. But idle time is so complex I don't even know how to score it, the main point was overall these phones are close, sure as heck ain't a 20 hour difference, their metric doesn't make any useful sense, and that's the whole point of metrics, I am pretty the phones wont last 60 hours in any case.
 
It may be naïve, that's because they didn't list the idle talk time in his picture. But idle time is so complex I don't even know how to score it, the main point was overall these phones are close, sure as heck ain't a 20 hour difference, their metric doesn't make any useful sense, and that's the whole point of metrics, I am pretty the phones wont last 60 hours in any case.
I have a Samsung Focus without a cellular data. On just wifi, with me probably playing with it for two hours and rest of it idle until I turn the screen on periodically to see how long it will last, it actually lasted more than 7 days. I have a screenshot of it. From that experience, I can tell you that idle time is mostly meaningless.
 
Has there been an official release date yet for Verizon?

No, but I think you can expect it 3-4 weeks after every other carrier gets it. It takes at least that long for them to figure out the best way to put their logo on the home button or somewhere else on the front of the phone. :rolleyes:
 
What has Verizon taken over sprints crown as the slowest releasing carrier that is always 1 generation behind the ball?
 
What has Verizon taken over sprints crown as the slowest releasing carrier that is always 1 generation behind the ball?

For the past couple of years I'd say Sprint has been one of the quickest carriers to get new phones and probably the quickest for updates.
 
Also what colors are their going to be? Black and White or that Blue color?
 
If you want the best battery life get the SGS4, or better yet, the iPhone 5.

HTC phones are notoriously known for poor battery life and the HTC One is no exception.

The SGS4 gets a 20+ hour advantage in battery life according to GSM Arena.

Thank you for letting me know and helping me with that dilemma :)
 
They never even had the galaxy note at sprint. Their selection is anemic, maybe if you only look at the single mega hit phones but ATT has a much wider selection so does Verizon. My local sprint store literally looked like this, 4 android phones in a small pack a giant iphone display and that was pretty much it for high end phones. You could count them on one hand, and its even arguable if that was high end since they were selling the S2 as high end. I will also say their recent updates were probably just the side effect of them wanting to screw people over. For insance my evo 3D has become worse with each update, first they wanted to push Wifi and some phones have issues where the phone wont transition, it keeps freaking trying to turn on wifi constantly, next they wanted to push their crappy telenav and now my evo 3D is just a pain in the ass to use. Gotta press like 4 prompts to finally get to google navigation, it wont allow me to default to that always wants to bug you about telenav.

Oh and they don't have 1 single windows phone at all in stores.
 
Can the battery tests for the S4 even be trusted? I've seen many reports of lackluster performance in the S3 and don't see how the S4 can fare better with the higher-resolution screen.
 
Can the battery tests for the S4 even be trusted? I've seen many reports of lackluster performance in the S3 and don't see how the S4 can fare better with the higher-resolution screen.

You can't see it with the bigger battery and more efficient SoC?
 
You can't see it with the bigger battery and more efficient SoC?
+1

People are still stuck in the past. Yes, early android devices suck. The hardware has gotten much better. Even the screen, despite being higher in pixels, are more energy efficient. You cannot treat this phone like a HTC thunderbolt or Evo 3D, *cough total gimmick phone...
 
I wish they would hurry and say when Sprint's release date is. My wife started to get LTE in a small area of town, so that shows there is progress!
 
+1

People are still stuck in the past. Yes, early android devices suck. The hardware has gotten much better. Even the screen, despite being higher in pixels, are more energy efficient. You cannot treat this phone like a HTC thunderbolt or Evo 3D, *cough total gimmick phone...
Heh my friend fell for the evo 3D, still rocks it!
 
I still rock an EVO 3D, but the thing is its not like you really fall for it, when it was released on sprint their was no competing high end android phone you either had to buy an evo 3D or buy an older phone, I think I used the 3D part a couple times but nothing I could do with it since no one else had a 3D phone. Once again gets back to sprints anemic phone selection.
 
Back
Top