• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Galaxy S4 - Watch Thread....

I would bet big money the Nexus-Five will have major improvements over the Nexus 4, mainly much better camera, I would guess a 32gb version, and shocked if LTE isn't included on the new Nexus.

But if you are in the market for an upgrade or just want a new phone soon, the Galaxy S4 is the best, and better than the HTC One, due to bigger and better battery life, plus removable, and will get Android OS updates faster with Samsung, than HTC, plus development on the Samsung Galaxy phones on XDA is a million times better than HTC phones.

The Nexus-Five is a long ways off still. Most likely an Oct / Nov release, with a very slight possibility it comes out after Google I/O with a June release, but that's doubtful.
 
Last edited:
You can't compare the N4 to S4 because Nexus is GSM only and thus not an option for many people. I'm pretty sure the N5 will be the same unless Google figures out a way around the CDMA licensing issues, which they have shown no desire to do. I'm not sure if Google is losing money on each N4 sold, but I think so.
 
I would bet big money the Nexus-Five will have major improvements over the Nexus 4, mainly much better camera, I would guess a 32gb version, and shocked if LTE isn't included on the new Nexus.

But if you are in the market for an upgrade or just want a new phone soon, the Galaxy S4 is the best, and better than the HTC One, due to bigger and better battery life, plus removable, and will get Android OS updates faster with Samsung, than HTC, plus development on the Samsung Galaxy phones on XDA is a million times better than HTC phones.

The Nexus-Five is a long ways off still. Most likely an Oct / Nov release, with a very slight possibility it comes out after Google I/O with a June release, but that's doubtful.

Agreed 100%.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/mobile-phone/3437472/google-nexus-5-release-date/
 
You can't compare the N4 to S4 because Nexus is GSM only and thus not an option for many people. I'm pretty sure the N5 will be the same unless Google figures out a way around the CDMA licensing issues, which they have shown no desire to do. I'm not sure if Google is losing money on each N4 sold, but I think so.

I'm not sure what you mean by CDMA licensing issues. If you mean royalties, then that does not apply as most CDMA users just go with Qualcomm radios anyway (as Google/LG currently do). Nvidia uses an Icera chip, which means royalties to Qualcomm if they go with CDMA.

The reason Google has pulled out of CDMA support is that their devices get locked to most CDMA networks (most CDMA networks refuse to allow unlocked devices). It's not Google so much as waiting for carriers like Verizon to stop shunning unlocked phones. Google is not happy with the update situation on the CDMA Galaxy Nexus phones, and they didn't want to repeat that.
 
Who cares, personally what you guys describe as not a big difference is how the entire mobile phone market has been working for 15 years lol. Slightly bigger or better display. Only apple breaks that sometimes because apple does stupid shit like purposely hold back on progress so they can make it a big feature, but all they are really doing is moving from way behind where they should be to a little past where they should be. But the funnything is instead of people here being smart about it they act like that's a good thing. Its not, would you like it if intel made CPUs then then dragged their feet for like 3 years then suddently quadrupled the speed, then dragged their feet for another 3 years?

personally I think this gen is one of the most significant enhancements we have seen in a very long time. Because for the first time we are are starting to regain the functionality that we lost when apple entered the market. The IR remote is something that we should have always had, its a freaking 50 cent addition to a phone. And the irony is we are just now getting it back when IR remotes might just start moving out of mainstream electronics. The stylus was another thing brough back by the galaxy note. I think that the phones of any line, IE S line should just stay the same in size now and the movement should be to bring out 3-4 sizes of phones that are constantly releasing to give people choice. But slightly faster CPUs, GPUs, that's exactly how it should work, because that's how hardware really works.
 
Broke my evo 3d two weeks ago and had to downgrade to my last phone, the 8130 BB Pearl.

Can't wait until the S4 comes out so I can jump the Sprint ship and go with Verizon. Hope you guys are right with that 4-16 date. Think that's the pre-order date or release date?
 
Just had a go on the galaxy s4 earlier today at the gadget show live at the NEC here in the uk and I must say it blows absolutely everything out the water in every way. It feels brilliant in the hand and has a much better premium feel to it. Software is outstanding and the auto pause, hovering and camera features are outstanding! Brilliant.
 
Unlike the contested HTC1 Blinkfeed feature that does not have an option to be turned off - should one want to disable the Galaxy S4 AirView, AirGesture, and Eye Tracking actions, they can be disabled via a readily accessible check box.
 
Last edited:
The S4 has a removable cheapo plastic backplate, right?

You must be referring to the backplate that covers a replaceable battery and a memory card, right?
It's probably going to be hidden from view, as no doubt users will be adequately protecting it by an enclosing case, just like users of competitive brands generally do for their smartphones.
 
Last edited:
You must be referring to the backplate that covers a replaceable battery and a memory card, right?
It's probably going to be hidden from view, as no doubt users will be adequately protecting it by an enclosing case, just like users of competitive brands generally do for their smartphones.

Stop the madness!

I will never understand why people buy a 0.25" thick phone to then double its thickness to by putting it into a case. That's ridiculous, just like the dudes that put the black plastic apron on their cars.

A phone is first and foremost a tool, it's meant to be used and worn out, the depreciation of it as it gets used and scratched up is the cost of doing business.
 
Stop the madness!

I will never understand why people buy a 0.25" thick phone to then double its thickness to by putting it into a case. That's ridiculous, just like the dudes that put the black plastic apron on their cars.

A phone is first and foremost a tool, it's meant to be used and worn out, the depreciation of it as it gets used and scratched up is the cost of doing business.

So I can drop the phone and not worry about it.
 
I will never understand why people buy a 0.25" thick phone to then double its thickness to by putting it into a case. That's ridiculous, just like the dudes that put the black plastic apron on their cars.

A phone is first and foremost a tool, it's meant to be used and worn out, the depreciation of it as it gets used and scratched up is the cost of doing business.

Except that I don't give a crap about my phone being .000008mm thick. I bought the case for my S3 specifically because it gave the phone size and heft as it felt very slippery in my hand by itself. It's a major bonus that I have made money selling my phones every year since 2008 because they are pristine when I'm done with them and it's time to upgrade.
 
Stop the mad I will never understand why people buy a 0.25" thick phone to then double its thickness to by putting it into a case. That's ridiculous, just like the dudes that put the black plastic apron on their cars.

A phone is first and foremost a tool, it's meant to be used and worn out, the depreciation of it as it gets used and scratched up is the cost of doing business.

Yep, let me take a note to never buy anything from this guy if he ever posts up a FS/FT ad. :p

Seriously, though my S3 feels too thin without my otterbox commuter and has better grip with it.
 
Last edited:
When I take the s3 out of my case to clean it I wanna keep it out a bit longer just to carry it around while it's thin. I like the sleekness of a phone without the case, but I like not having scratches if I drop it and being able to resale for a good price. So that sleekness feeling wears off shortly after cleaning and the case goes back on.
 
Ya but the nice thing about something with a removable back is that you can just buy a replacable back cover for $5 and the resale value goes back up. This is another reason why I like removable batteries besides all the options you have for battery changes.
 
Why is the S4 going for $250 with a contract?

As opposed to what and on which carrier? That's pretty much the standard price for high-end phones on contract across all of the carriers with maybe a +-$50 difference depending on the carrier and internal storage sizes.
 
The 64gb carrient iPhone goes for $300 and the Note2 goes for $300, whats odd about this going for $250?

Just a minor correction, but the 64GB iPhone is $399 on most carriers ($299 down on T-Mobile's new plan). That should only further prove your point.
 
Who cares what iPhones sell for, iPhones are over priced, and all apple products are like that.

Personally I think that your mainstream phone should be $200, that's been pretty normal with few exceptions including highly feature filled phones like the note, or phones with keyboards etc... Anyhow I am sure it will probably come down in price pretty soon and if not surely amazonwireless will sell it for $200 after the initial rush. Anyhow my guess is some carriers like maybe Verizon don't really want to sell galaxy phones and maybe Samsung expects they wont be able to keep up with demand.
 
Just a minor correction, but the 64GB iPhone is $399 on most carriers ($299 down on T-Mobile's new plan). That should only further prove your point.

I don't know why I had 64gb on the brain but I did mean 32gb, thanks for the correction.
 
Who cares what iPhones sell for, iPhones are over priced, and all apple products are like that.

I actually think Samsung products are overprice. They don't have to pay the cost of developing the OS. They only have to pay their developers to butcher it and their phones are made of plastic.
I will never pay those ridiculous prices for an IOS device and I certainly wouldn't pay Samsung's Apple like prices for their products which I think have less value than an Apple product.
 
I actually think Samsung products are overprice. They don't have to pay the cost of developing the OS. They only have to pay their developers to butcher it and their phones are made of plastic.
I will never pay those ridiculous prices for an IOS device and I certainly wouldn't pay Samsung's Apple like prices for their products which I think have less value than an Apple product.


Samsung does pay for the OS, android has costs associated with it, and you have to pay for windows mobile too. Bigger phone, bigger battery, bigger display, it all costs money, second apple should be giving the OS away because they also make money off the app store where AFAIK Samsung doesn't get a cut of every app sold on in the play store via their devices. Same with songs, movies etc.... If you really think about it apple should be selling their phones at a loss like a console given how they run things just like a console with all proprietary connectors that need licenses, a locked OS and market etc. If you really start thinking about it you realize and iPhone is just a portable console, where as an android phone is more like a portable PC.
 
Samsung does pay for the OS, android has costs associated with it, and you have to pay for windows mobile too. Bigger phone, bigger battery, bigger display, it all costs money, second apple should be giving the OS away because they also make money off the app store where AFAIK Samsung doesn't get a cut of every app sold on in the play store via their devices. Same with songs, movies etc.... If you really think about it apple should be selling their phones at a loss like a console given how they run things just like a console with all proprietary connectors that need licenses, a locked OS and market etc. If you really start thinking about it you realize and iPhone is just a portable console, where as an android phone is more like a portable PC.

You dont pay for Android you pay to license Google services on it. I guess you can look at it as Apple makes a lot more money on their phones than Samsung does due to app store etc indeed.
I never said anything about Windows Mobile :confused:
 
And since pretty much everyone pays for the services that means they are paying for android. Point is it costs them money. And windows mobile was just another example for which you could draw a conclusing. Samsung often produces 2 very close phones in a WP and android flavor and typically they cost near the same price so obviously the effect of OS price is not what you would make it out to be.

Changing how you charge people doesn't make something free, its like saying a free 2 play game is free when its impossible to get all the stuff you need in any reasonable time without buying a booster or something. Average real world costs are what matter.
 
Last edited:
The S4 is packing some serious upgrades compared to my current Verizon G-Nex. Might have to make the upgrade. Just wish it came with a bigger screen with the rest of that hardware (personal preference). Anyone know what the next big (size too) phone is coming out on Verizon after the S4? ETA? Weighing my options. Damn tired of this G-Nex.

Thanks
 
The Nexus 4 is $349. And rumored off contract price for the Galaxy S4 is $579.

So for costing 65% more, is the S4 a 65% better phone over the N4 ? I would not say so, yes the Galaxy S4 is a better phone than the Nexus 4, no doubt, but spec wise is not that much better, maybe a 1/3rd better phone in my opinion. Based on these noob, simple calculations the S4 should cost like $465

But then we are not factoring in the Nexus-Five, which will be the Nexus equivalent to the S4, the N5 should have equal, or most likely better specs than the S4, and still only cost like $349/$399.

Look at this way, last year in 2012, would you rather pay $649 for the Galaxy S3, or $349 for the Nexus 4 ? I will take the N4 all day long over the S3. Not just due to pricing, but the N4 is just a better phone, not by much, but still little better in my opinion.

So in 2013, would you rather have the S4 @ $579, or the Nexus-Five which most likely won't be over $400.

And yet will still only be 8gb/16gb, No LTE, No expandable storage nor replaceable battery, no thank you


N4 is great and all, price is great. But it is not for me because it lacks storage or battery options, the other stuff I can live with, but not those. I won't even consider the N5 unless it gives me great storage(32gb Minimum or expandable) or a swappable battery
 
The S4 needs to hurry up and come out on Sprint. I need a new phone ASAP and hate waiting.
 
Back
Top