• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Galaxy S4 - Watch Thread....

You should be fine with never closing or uninstalling applications on your desktop. It shouldn't need it.

On a serious note, I'm not interested in my phone making decisions like that. I know better than it does, and that will ALWAYS be the case. Leaving applications I don't need open wastes resources and battery life, period. I don't care what the phone's opinion on the situation is.

Indeed. I wish Android let you natively handle background services and running apps better and in a more granular way than just force stopping them (which usually just leads to it restarting anyways).

Until that happens though, there's root and Greenify.
 
I don't close applications on my desktop though :p

I do agree that it should have a built in function to allow the user tohhave control, I was merely stating how android handles the issue, and that typically closing programs with a task manager can have performance hits for that app..... The majority of users want the app open 5 seconds before they press the icon, so mobile os's handle this with sittingthe programs in ram, which has a negligible affect on battery life in my experience.

You should be fine with never closing or uninstalling applications on your desktop. It shouldn't need it.

On a serious note, I'm not interested in my phone making decisions like that. I know better than it does, and that will ALWAYS be the case. Leaving applications I don't need open wastes resources and battery life, period. I don't care what the phone's opinion on the situation is.
 
Quick google came up with: http://www.beysoft.com/

As for the 2nd question - Are you saying that you want to force close out the media player? You should be fine letting video/audio applications in the background, it will close itself if/when the ram is needed.

thanks. I thought I might be able to do it without 3rd party apps. one of my friendstoday tried to install an app called Vault to find out it's already installed hehe

I have endless questions but i'll try to google them first and meanwhile I'll keep playing that great Subway surf game untill I find a good free racing game :)
 
The S4 will be released on May 23rd on Verizon... instead of the 30th. yay!
 
Got to play with one today when a co-worker walked in with a new one. It's everything the reviews say it is including TouchWiz. What a piece of shit TW is.

The old style tabs in settings and others options is unsettling and just feels wrong. It isn't intuitive at all either. Why do things like break Settings into 4 separate tabs? Oh and the icons feel very cartoony to me which is simply annoying.

TW is laggy too at times especially when you scroll through a big menu. Insane that they could have designed something that actually lags on that device.

Outside of TW though the phone is fantastic. A lot of the features (IR sensor and stuff) are neat but I find to be very gimmicky and fun to show off but not really useful.

After playing with both the One and the S4 I'd be happy with either since I can get an AOSP build for both so it's kind of a crap shoot. I'd probably have to flip a coin lol.
 
Outside of TW though the phone is fantastic. A lot of the features (IR sensor and stuff) are neat but I find to be very gimmicky and fun to show off but not really useful.

Alot of the S4's features are gimmicky to me (eye scroll, air gestures, etc) but I found the IR blaster to be one of the more useful feature that I was glad is making a comeback to phones. It's nice for people to be able to use their phones as universal controls for tv, cable, dvr, etc.

I'd also argue that the 4 tabs in the settings are MORE intuitive as it splits it up into categories rather than just one big long blog of a list. I know it may be an adjustment to what your used to but I'd think for the masses the tabs are easier to navigate.

Also since the new update I don't have any noticeable lag with touchwiz as well.
 
im working on setting up a work email and the guy noticed that emails aren't being forced through. he has to manually go in and refresh for it to show up.

the sync is set to 15 minutes, but shouldn't it come in automatically? im at a loss on what other options to check
 
im working on setting up a work email and the guy noticed that emails aren't being forced through. he has to manually go in and refresh for it to show up.

the sync is set to 15 minutes, but shouldn't it come in automatically? im at a loss on what other options to check

It comes in automatically on mine, I haven't adjusted or played with any of the options when setting up my emails so I couldn't tell you.

Are the emails not being automatically refreshed or are they just not giving you notifications in the bar?
 
It comes in automatically on mine, I haven't adjusted or played with any of the options when setting up my emails so I couldn't tell you.

Are the emails not being automatically refreshed or are they just not giving you notifications in the bar?

neither. its a pop account and there are no notifications even when i manually refresh. his gmail was set to sync every hour as well and it hadn't checked since about 145est. when i synced it some gmail emails came in and it game me a notification.

edit: ok gmail is coming in with a notification almost instantly. just gotta figure out the pop account

edit 2: well it seems there is a notification on the pop account. still gotta force it to come through though.

edit 3: just got in a message i sent with a notification 12 minutes after i sent it on the pop account.
 
Last edited:
Got to play with one today when a co-worker walked in with a new one. It's everything the reviews say it is including TouchWiz. What a piece of shit TW is.

The old style tabs in settings and others options is unsettling and just feels wrong. It isn't intuitive at all either. Why do things like break Settings into 4 separate tabs? Oh and the icons feel very cartoony to me which is simply annoying.

After playing with both the One and the S4 I'd be happy with either since I can get an AOSP build for both so it's kind of a crap shoot. I'd probably have to flip a coin lol.

I agree with the tab comment, I liked having the one list. Maybe an option within options to set the way we like?

As for the One vs. S4. It really depends on what you want to use it for. The One is more iPhone like putting design first. The S4 is where they just threw everything at it and hoped somethings stuck.

I will say my battery life in my S4 has been absolutely fantastic. That's with GPS/Wifi/4GLTE being left enabled. I get about a day and a half. That's with some photos, web browsing, and even 3d gaming (dead trigger is a blast) on it.

I also bought the Squaretrade warranty (2 years) with accidental damage protection for $94 (30% off). So I'll root and install a quality ROM (maybe a Sense5 port) once they mature a little.
 
The tabs suck IMO, if your used to AOSP, its a PITA to find anything , atleast for me.....


TW is horrid, new rom once i get back from my upcoming vacation (need functioning wifi calling....why go to a custom rom, and just reflash with CM like a week later ? :D)

Loving the bat life, kills my GSM G.Nex w/o an issue .... need to pick up sq. trade still ..... got a little bit of time left on that ;D
 
I agree with the tab comment, I liked having the one list. Maybe an option within options to set the way we like?

As for the One vs. S4. It really depends on what you want to use it for. The One is more iPhone like putting design first. The S4 is where they just threw everything at it and hoped somethings stuck.

I will say my battery life in my S4 has been absolutely fantastic. That's with GPS/Wifi/4GLTE being left enabled. I get about a day and a half. That's with some photos, web browsing, and even 3d gaming (dead trigger is a blast) on it.

I also bought the Squaretrade warranty (2 years) with accidental damage protection for $94 (30% off). So I'll root and install a quality ROM (maybe a Sense5 port) once they mature a little.

Do you leave NFC up? My friends S4 has Wifi/GPS turned off but left NFC on and is claiming his battery life sucked with it left on.
 
NFC should have little to no effect on battery life (atleast on my G.Nex it didnt have any) ....

Do you leave NFC up? My friends S4 has Wifi/GPS turned off but left NFC on and is claiming his battery life sucked with it left on.
 

If that's true...

futurama-fry-meme-shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg
 
I'm chosing to not believe it, stock Android with none of the touchwiz additions that they are advertising hardcore.

Or its going to be so limited it will be near impossible to get and/or marked up?

ehhh, seems too good to be true.
 
Shit better be on Verizon...

...and the binaries/factory images better be on Google's developer site.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if this happened - would turn the Nexus 4 into a joke

I'm chosing to not believe it, stock Android with none of the touchwiz additions that they are advertising hardcore.

Or its going to be so limited it will be near impossible to get and/or marked up?

ehhh, seems too good to be true.

Things like the IR sensor and smart actions could easily be ported to AOSP by Samsung.

I would imagine it wouldn't be a Nexus so no binaries or factory images. It would just simply be a "pure" Android build. So updates still from Samsung so that all the special functionality is still there.

That said I do find this rumor hard to believe. Would be nice but hard to believe.
 

Sounds cool, if even true, but need more details ? I doubt this will be like a "Nexus" device with updates direct from Google ?

I could see it being shipped with Android 4.3, and being stuck on 4.3 for awhile,waiting for Samsung to push the newer OS update months later. And I agree, would be sold in very limited quantities, near impossible to find. So maybe T-Mobile gets it, ok, T-Mo blows, and I would still think would be scarce and hard to get at T-Mobile stores.

And the price for such a phone ? If it's in the crazy $650 range, no way then. With the current and still fresh Nexus 4 selling for just $349, no way is this special edition S4 worth 75% more, just for LTE, and expandable storage ? LOL, that's not worthy of a 75% price increase. The Nexus 4 is no slouch, hardware wise compared to the S4, is not that much different, sure the S4 is a better device, but not night and day radically better, if anything this S4 Google Edition would be like a Nexus 4.5.

At this point, I'd just wait for the Nexus-Five, will be cheaper, and have better spec's than the S4, and run the latest Android OS.
 
Last edited:
This rumor is one of those least believable rumors I've heard. I don't see how this helps Samsung. Samsung will sell just as many GS4 without it. So I'm throwing this in the S-fanboi bucket.
 
HOLY FUCK IT HAPPENED

-ATT/TMobile
-LTE
-Unlocked
-Nexus-Like device
-$650 price tag
-Receives updates "promptly" (I don't know what that means)
 
Galaxy S4 with AOSP, unlocked on T-Mobile and AT&T with LTE support, straight from Google with Google supplied updates.

Wow, I might just switch from my Nexus 4...


This rumor is one of those least believable rumors I've heard. I don't see how this helps Samsung. Samsung will sell just as many GS4 without it. So I'm throwing this in the S-fanboi bucket.

Well, now it's one of those least believable rumors that's now confirmed :D
 
This rumor is one of those least believable rumors I've heard. I don't see how this helps Samsung. Samsung will sell just as many GS4 without it. So I'm throwing this in the S-fanboi bucket.

damn! LOL
 
AOSP S4 doesn't help Samsung though. I mean $650 for a developer device on AT&T and T-Mobile? Bootloaders already unlocked on those devices.

The price had to be like $400 for it to be worth anything especially when you could already buy a developer edition of the S4. So you get Google support. Big deal. Last I checked CM10.1 already running quite well on S4.
 
AOSP S4 doesn't help Samsung though. I mean $650 for a developer device on AT&T and T-Mobile? Bootloaders already unlocked on those devices.

The price had to be like $400 for it to be worth anything.
Whatever... makes S-fanbois happy!
 
It's real. $650 but you can't undercut Samsung too much.

I can't believe it. But this means dev for the GS4 will be the best bar none. It's combining near-Nexus-level support from Google with the sheer popularity of Samsung.
 
Whatever... makes S-fanbois happy!

Maybe. Did you notice how there was tons of cheering until the price was announced? You could hear a pin drop in there. No applause. No nothing. The price tag deflated the whole damn thing.
 
Maybe. Did you notice how there was tons of cheering until the price was announced? You could hear a pin drop in there. No applause. No nothing. The price tag deflated the whole damn thing.
I did. I'm still laughing my butt off.
 
It's real. $650 but you can't undercut Samsung too much.

I can't believe it. But this means dev for the GS4 will be the best bar none. It's combining near-Nexus-level support from Google with the sheer popularity of Samsung.
I'll wait for a response from Koush and Kondik...
 
Maybe. Did you notice how there was tons of cheering until the price was announced? You could hear a pin drop in there. No applause. No nothing. The price tag deflated the whole damn thing.
Those are app devs - not ROM devs. Most ROM devs get devices donated to them.
 
The price is in line with other handsets that aren't Nexus devices. Samsung isn't going to undercut themselves. I am strongly considering this phone now, but it still has other flaws. Zorachus poses a good point. Nexus 4 is MUCH cheaper and the Nexus 5 comes out 4 months after this handset.

Worth a look but I'm not sold just yet.
 
Those are app devs - not ROM devs. Most ROM devs get devices donated to them.

And all the devs that matter already have a One or an S4. You really think Cyanogen needs an AOSP version of the S4? Or a dev from AOKP or Paranoid Android? Nope.

AOSP S4 is DOA at that price.

And there are plenty of ROM devs in attendance today. Lots of the CM team and AOKP team are there. I'm sure PA has a bunch there too. Bottom line is the price made all 6000 people in there go silent while thinking WTF.
 
This rumor is one of those least believable rumors I've heard. I don't see how this helps Samsung. Samsung will sell just as many GS4 without it. So I'm throwing this in the S-fanboi bucket.

Whatever... makes S-fanbois happy!

Seriously? Try growing up a bit and not calling anyone that enjoys a phone not the same one that you currently have a "fanboi".

Also I'm not sure how this would benefit a "S-fanboi" as a Samsung fanboy would probably buy and support an original TW S4. This seems more targeted towards purist/nexus aficionados that want a pure google experience while having Samsung's hardware/build quality.
 
And all the devs that matter already have a One or an S4. You really think Cyanogen needs an AOSP version of the S4? Or a dev from AOKP or Paranoid Android? Nope.

AOSP S4 is DOA at that price.

And there are plenty of ROM devs in attendance today. Lots of the CM team and AOKP team are there. I'm sure PA has a bunch there too. Bottom line is the price made all 6000 people in there go silent while thinking WTF.

If there is no hardware difference between this and the existing T-Mobile S4, I suspect that this can be flashed over with a PIT file.
 
Now comes the question ... Is the hardware the same? And can I just make my T-Mo S4 a "GE" varient ..... same with going from yakju to takju with the G.Nex ...... then ill be nice and happy :D
 
Now comes the question ... Is the hardware the same? And can I just make my T-Mo S4 a "GE" varient ..... same with going from yakju to takju with the G.Nex ...... then ill be nice and happy :D

It appears many new sources are claiming it's the same as the t-mo/at&t snapdragon variant. If this is true, then I'd expect developers to be able to do just that to the TW S4. At the very least , you know development on it will be booming because of this.
 
Well from what ive read the ATT/T-mo are identical .... except ATT blocks the bands for the T-Mo (Same hardware, yet T-Mo has wider band support).


I do expect better development, I got bored with CM and all, and set on stock on the G.nex and loved it, no fuss or anything.
 
Back
Top