Galaxy S20 Thread

There's still hope for the Pixel 5. Most leaks show it as a mid-level phone. Yet if they price it as such, that's not a bad thing. The phone's camera + software provides the best bang for your buck out there. Since there will be minimal bloatware, performance should be strong, too. It's just going to come down to the battery, storage capacity, and 5G compatibility. Well, that and the price. As long as they don't price it anywhere near the S20 line, people aren't going to care if it's not the best hardware ever.

So the note+is looking like the go to phone? Is there still any word on what the s20 note will update? I hear it's mostly small improvements in the camera and the 120hz which I've read uses way to much battery so I could care less for that. I guess it's still best to wait for the s20 note since I'm hoping the prices on the 10 will drop considerably, 600 seems like the sweet spot

My S20+ just got a new update that seems camera-focused. Things like QR codes and text scanning are quicker. There is less light bleed/blur as well. Hopefully this thing will finally be really good by the time I can actually take a vacation!

The 120Hz mode in 2400x1080 mode definitely uses noticeably more battery than the default 3200x1440/60.
Yet 1600x720/120 doesn't. They're almost identical when I tested them. Things like games and video automatically change the resolution, so for normal browsing, social media, etc. use, it looks the same with 120Hz "for free." Maybe things are different when using Sammy's launcher or specific apps, but everything I use looks the same regardless of the resolution.

Last edited:
Xfinity Mobile has a deal going that discounts $400 off the S20 line. Since they use Verizon's network, that means for the regular S20 you get the UW version. The UW version drops ram from 12 to 8 GB and removes the sd card slot. But it adds ultra wideband 5G as a benefit. Worth $600 ($1000-$100)? Alternatively, I could go with the S20+ at $800 ($1200-$400).

Seems like every month Samsung updates the camera quality and app. It's now taking better shots than the GCam ports, which is really all I every wanted from it.
You can now natively install Google's Dialer from the app store, too. Not a huge deal, but it's one more step away from Samsung's ugly UI and Google's more unified and polished look. Combined with Gmail, Google Clock, Calendar, Contacts, etc. you're pretty close to a Pixel if you hide the Sammy apps.

Still, this thing (S20+) was expensive. Had it not come with the Galaxy Buds+, I'd probably feel like I legitimately got ripped off. At $800, it's a better deal, but it's still expensive. My wife has an LG from 4 years ago and it's not like my phone opens apps any faster than hers. It's basically just 120Hz, 5G, and faster gaming (which I don't do on my phone) as the differentiators. Well, that and a battery that isn't 4 years old. It's getting tough to justify flagship phones now.

Seems like every month Samsung updates the camera quality and app. It's now taking better shots than the GCam ports, which is really all I every wanted from it.
You can now natively install Google's Dialer from the app store, too. Not a huge deal, but it's one more step away from Samsung's ugly UI and Google's more unified and polished look. Combined with Gmail, Google Clock, Calendar, Contacts, etc. you're pretty close to a Pixel if you hide the Sammy apps.

Still, this thing (S20+) was expensive. Had it not come with the Galaxy Buds+, I'd probably feel like I legitimately got ripped off. At $800, it's a better deal, but it's still expensive. My wife has an LG from 4 years ago and it's not like my phone opens apps any faster than hers. It's basically just 120Hz, 5G, and faster gaming (which I don't do on my phone) as the differentiators. Well, that and a battery that isn't 4 years old. It's getting tough to justify flagship phones now.
I totally agree man. I'm on a Samsung s5 still lol. I don't do any updates at all and it's still decent speed. I think allot of issues comes from updating all the time. Anyways I kind of want to update finally but really don't want to pay 1000 for a phone....hoping the note 10+drops in price to at least 600 range. I've seen it at best buy for 700 before kinda wish I woulda jus bought it but wanted to wait to see how the note 20 ultra comes out. Don't see the point of getting the note 20 ultra if it's not much better than the note 10+...seems like jus better camera, 5g which is non existent here and 120hz refresh witch is pointless of it kills your battery

Can you link to any recent comparisons that show this? I'm waiting for the Pixel 5 to decide what I'm replacing my 2 XL with, but if Samsung has actually caught up to Google in every aspect (esp. low light/night mode shooting), then that would def tip me towards them. If only they would commit to 3 major OS upgrades instead of 2 now, as I've really appreciated being able to keep my Pixel 2 XL for 3 years and constantly being up to date with it at least for security patches.

Can you link to any recent comparisons that show this? I'm waiting for the Pixel 5 to decide what I'm replacing my 2 XL with, but if Samsung has actually caught up to Google in every aspect (esp. low light/night mode shooting), then that would def tip me towards them. If only they would commit to 3 major OS upgrades instead of 2 now, as I've really appreciated being able to keep my Pixel 2 XL for 3 years and constantly being up to date with it at least for security patches.

I don't necessarily have any before/after shots since I swapped over to GCam pretty quickly. After each subsequent update (there has been at least 1 every 3 weeks since March), I'd test out the default camera again.
The main differences have been light bleed and details. Early on, if there were any lamps in the shot, there would be hazy lighting effects. Especially in the corners of the shot. If there were words in the shot - they'd be muddy and sometimes tough to read. Auto-focus was also slow and all settings produced a "warmer" image that I prefer regardless of filters and compared to GCam. For BOTH the default camera and GCam, any oil or smudge on the camera seemed to majorly affect light sources. We're talking way more than any other phone I've ever used. That seemed to get better via some kind of universal update. Probably camera firmware or something.
Right now GCam is probably still a little better with fine details (small writing), but the colors are slightly more dull.

So is the 20 note ultra worth it over the note 10+?

If you have the money, I'd say so. Better cameras (the laser autofocus could be particularly helpful), 5G if you're not already looking at a Note 10+ with it, improved performance, lower-latency pen (if you use it)... just a lot of things that could add up. What are you using now, if I may ask?

If you have the money, I'd say so. Better cameras (the laser autofocus could be particularly helpful), 5G if you're not already looking at a Note 10+ with it, improved performance, lower-latency pen (if you use it)... just a lot of things that could add up. What are you using now, if I may ask?
A Samsung s5 lol I recently got unlimted data so I'm browsing and doing alot more on the phone and feeling the lag. I jus feel the note 10+ will drop in price by alot soon making the note 20 ultra not worth double the cost. The pictures my s5 take are good enough lol I doubt I'll use the s pen much bc I use sywpe for texting so it's prob faster than the pen...5g prob won't be widespread for a long time and 4g is fast enough for browsing etc I guess it depends how low the 10+will drop but most reviews make it sound like the note 20 ultra is not much of an upgrade over it

OneUI 2.5 is rolling out to S20 devices right now. It adds gesture navigation to other launchers if that's something you're interested in.
Like most other updates, it also improves the camera and adds some new features like "pro video." The main thing I've noticed is that the thumbprint reader is much quicker. More accurate, too. That was an earlier gripe I had that has basically been solved.
For what it's worth, this phone has gotten more updates than any other device I've ever owned. There has been at least one every month since March, with at least 3 months having 2 updates.

When you swipe right on the home screen it shows a widget called Samsung Daily. I do not find this widget to be useful or interesting. Obviously it can simply be disabled. Just wondering if anyone has a good replacement widget to recommend. News, weather, computers, smartphone info, etc.

When you swipe right on the home screen it shows a widget called Samsung Daily. I do not find this widget to be useful or interesting. Obviously it can simply be disabled. Just wondering if anyone has a good replacement widget to recommend. News, weather, computers, smartphone info, etc.

The Google App is what I use in place of "Briefing." It's what the Pixels have instead. Thanks to Google knowing your every move and desire, it complies a pretty good news list.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
Here's something interesting. OneUI 2.5 totally broke GCam functionality. None of 'em work, and there are dozens and dozens of variants. I guess a couple of the devs are looking into it, but a fix might take a while.
Samsung's camera is more fully-featured (and probably better overall), but if you're just looking to point and shoot quick photos using 1 lens, GCam is the way to go. Ditto with anything with text.

Finally had enough of my windows phone and bought S20 directly from ATT. About 2 hours later it was delivered to my front door. Kind of pricey for a cheapskate like myself, but it's nice. Even makes phone calls.

Is there a reason why the note 10+has not gone on sale yet? For some reason it's on saLe for atnt but not for Verizon?

Bump anyone alive around here...jus saw the 20 ultra is on sale for 45/24 months...yet the old 10+is not on sale wth

Another week...another update. Gotta give Samsung credit. Never had a phone with so many updates.

That camera is still a source of issues for me. I had to take and use a lot of photographs for work last week. Some shots were with an iPhone 11, some an S10, and some with my S20.
Compared to the S10 and iPhone, all of the S20 shots were excessively yellow and overly warm. I tried using the "cool" filter, but that seems to do nothing. There might be a setting in the pro section that fixes this, but that's way too complicated for everyday pointing and shooting. I can fix some of this in Photoshop, but I shouldn't have to. Sigh.

Last edited:
Another week...another update. Gotta give Samsung credit. Never had a phone with so many updates.

That camera is still a source of issues for me. I had to take and use a lot of photographs for work last week. Some shots were with an iPhone 11, some an S10, and some with my S20.
Compared to the S10 and iPhone, all of the S20 shots were excessively yellow and overly warm. I tried using the "cool" filter, but that seems to do nothing. There might be a setting in the pro section that fixes this, but that's way too complicated for everyday pointing and shooting. I can fix some of this in Photoshop, but I shouldn't have to. Sigh.

That's odd -- the stereotype is that Samsung photos are unusually cool, if anything.

It also makes me think Samsung is losing some of its vaunted camera chops in its bid to compete on ridiculous megapixel counts and zoom. Although the Note 20 Ultra is a partial rebellion against that.

saw the 20 ultra is on sale for 45/24 months...yet the old 10+is still 37/24 on Verizon lol wth kinda sale is that

Is it better to wait til black Friday sales or just get the note ultra now at sale price 45/24?

Pivo, would you post a link with the S20 Ultra sale? I did not see it on the Verizon website. In general I recommend S20+>S20>S20 Ultra. The S20+ is the most balanced of the devices with all 5G bands and not super expensive like the Ultra. The Verizon S20 has all 5G bands but sacrifices ram and sd card slot.

Well I want to stick with the note. Plus the s20+ is 45 per month same price as an note ultra so no bueno. But not sure if I want the note 20 ultra or note 10+? Also, wondering if it's better to buy now or wait till a better sale? Problem is the next sale might not be til November for black Friday....? Also with the sale prices of the note 10+ vs 20 ultra there realy is no point to go with a 10+ considering you'll only save about 192..?

Last edited:
Okay, found it on Bestbuy. With Verizon activation Note S20 Ultra $45.83 per month. Comes out to $1100 vs $1300 retail, so about 20% off. If it were me, wait until black friday and see what other sales are happening by then. The current sale is decent but not excellent.

I just got the 20+ through Xfinity Mobile for $400 off. That is the type of discount to watch for.

Yeah you might be right but I already upgraded. I'm coming from an s5 lol this upgrade is insane for me. Black Friday is still over 2 months away and no telling how much it'll discount.

Samsung is starting to roll out OneUI 3.1 with Android 11 today. It's (oddly) going to phones bought from Verizon first. Mine's unlocked so I've seen nothing yet. As much as Samsung annoys me (and as much as the camera on this phone annoys me), this update is coming way sooner than I expected. I've gotten at least an update each month since March, too. That's not bad at all.
I do have to admit I've at least been tempted to sell mine and get a Pixel 5, though. If I can break even on it, I still might. The camera straight up pisses me off. Too many blurry photos and the lens picks up grease and smudges like it's being paid to.

Sorry for the little bit of a necropost, but we just signed up for Google Fi and ordered the base S20. I'm upgrading from a Pixel 2 XL and my wife has the Pixel 2.

I went from the Pixel 2 to the S20+
It's a step up in some ways, a horizontal move in others, and a step down in a few. It's definitely snappy and 120Hz looks terrific. The screen size/clarity and lack of bezels is great. I've gotten at least one update every month, too. That's just like Google. Yet, Samsung's software suite is still bloated, inferior, and difficult to totally escape. Nova Launcher will definitely be your friend.

No matter what the technical specs say, the camera in this thing is trash. Photos always have issues. If anything in your photo has writing on it, it'll either be a blurry mess or everything else in the photo will be. I've tried every setting known to man and there's always something out of focus. Gcam is too buggy to use full time and doesn't necessarily fix that issue. The lens also attracts smudges and oils from your hands/pockets/etc. so you have to constantly wipe it off. If you need to take a photo quickly, it's probably not going to look good. I've owned at least 10 phones with cameras and I've never experienced a constantly smudgy lens like this thing has.

If I could trade this thing for a Pixel 5, I would.

I'm finally starting to reach my breaking point with this thing. The camera just plain sucks. No matter the settings, about 1/2 of my photos are blurry or out of focus. Almost like those new NFL cameras where only the foreground is in focus. Plus, it's almost always smudged and has to be thoroughly wiped off prior to literally any use, ever. The camera is one of the few differentiators (along with battery life) and this one is a liability. Plus, even though I'm using the Google dialer, it lacks the call screen functionality the Pixels have. No more Samsung for me. I don't even care what the specs are, it's just not worth it.
If there's Pixel 5A or a sale on normal Pixel 5's, I'm dumping this thing and going for it.

I'm finally starting to reach my breaking point with this thing. The camera just plain sucks. No matter the settings, about 1/2 of my photos are blurry or out of focus. Almost like those new NFL cameras where only the foreground is in focus. Plus, it's almost always smudged and has to be thoroughly wiped off prior to literally any use, ever. The camera is one of the few differentiators (along with battery life) and this one is a liability. Plus, even though I'm using the Google dialer, it lacks the call screen functionality the Pixels have. No more Samsung for me. I don't even care what the specs are, it's just not worth it.
If there's Pixel 5A or a sale on normal Pixel 5's, I'm dumping this thing and going for it.

I wonder how much the S21 sorts these things. Certainly the camera array is less prone to smudging, and the Ultra's laser autofocus likely helps. With that said: I won't fault you for ditching Samsung until it's clear things have changed. Part of why I like iPhones is the reliability of the camera output. It won't always be the best, but it's rare that you'll get a bad shot.

I wonder how much the S21 sorts these things. Certainly the camera array is less prone to smudging, and the Ultra's laser autofocus likely helps. With that said: I won't fault you for ditching Samsung until it's clear things have changed. Part of why I like iPhones is the reliability of the camera output. It won't always be the best, but it's rare that you'll get a bad shot.

I actually liked my iPhones and it's definitely a consideration. I'm pretty intertwined within the Google-verse at this point, so I do kinda want to stick with Android, though. Frankly, I liked my Pixel 2 a lot. My issue with it was that the bezels were too large (the Pixel 2 XL screens were a crapshoot, so I went with the normal 2), and my battery went south. The camera in it was top notch and performance was great. My wife has a Pixel 5 and I like it. Trick is, I don't feel like selling this thing for $400 and having to pay $300 for a horizontal "upgrade." If someone offered me a 1-to-1 trade for a used one, I'd take it.

Back