Galaxy Note 3 to pack Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor

Well I wasn't comparing the HTC phone. The Samsung phones chew through more memory with all the sensors running. You can turn them off though.

Well I wasn't comparing the HTC phone. The Samsung phones chew through more memory with all the sensors running. You can turn them off though.

Do you think DDR4 memory will solve Samsung's lag issues with all the features/sensors turned on?

Do you think DDR4 memory will solve Samsung's lag issues with all the features/sensors turned on?

I don't know about him... but I doubt it. They need more processing grunt if they are going to have all those additional sensors running in the background. OR maybe go Moto's route?

I don't know about him... but I doubt it. They need more processing grunt if they are going to have all those additional sensors running in the background. OR maybe go Moto's route?

But I like Samsung's software features even though they occasionally lag the phone.

I hope DDR4 can eliminate all lag from Samsung devices.

The new Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro tablets shown at CES 2014 look like they have no lag. Maybe they use DDR4 RAM?

Depends on the what lag you are talking about. Some of the lag isn't due to performance hogging services and more to do with latency. In reality I don't think the memory will reduce the lag most complain about.

When the services are turned off the lag is still there, this stems from a lot of factors though, like NAND performance.

I'm on a stock note 3 and can't complain.

Anyone else using the ZeroLemon 10000 mAh battery? I thought the case was ridiculous until I actually put it on; now the Note 3 actually feels like a premium device because of all the added weight. Yeah, it's basically a brick once you get everything on, but this thing has certainly increased my peace of mind.

Anyone else using the ZeroLemon 10000 mAh battery? I thought the case was ridiculous until I actually put it on; now the Note 3 actually feels like a premium device because of all the added weight. Yeah, it's basically a brick once you get everything on, but this thing has certainly increased my peace of mind.

I've got a 6400mAh battery, but outside of a test-drive, I haven't used it much. Two solid days of use w/o charging is pretty darn good, but the lack of a good case makes me nervous, especially with the extra weight.

Anyone else using the Google Experience launcher? I'm much more content with the Note 3 now... I really missed the always-on voice recognition that my N5 has as well as the integrated Google Now only a left-swipe away.

Anyone else using the Google Experience launcher? I'm much more content with the Note 3 now... I really missed the always-on voice recognition that my N5 has as well as the integrated Google Now only a left-swipe away.

Just googled it after i read this. It will take some getting used to, but I like it.

What does it skin, exactly? Does it change the dialer and contacts app? How about the status bar?

What does it skin, exactly? Does it change the dialer and contacts app? How about the status bar?

It's not a skin, it's Google's newish launcher- it's the same one that the Nexus 5 uses. Just like Nova doesn't change the apps/status bar/etc, nor will this... it's just a different launcher, not a whole new ROM.

I have zero desire to flash a custom ROM and trip knox now.... Nova was an excellent upgrade from TouchWiz, but now I essentially have my Nexus 5 back, just in a larger package.... that makes me happy.

I have zero desire to flash a custom ROM and trip knox now.... Nova was an excellent upgrade from TouchWiz, but now I essentially have my Nexus 5 back, just in a larger package.... that makes me happy.

+1

I used the GEL on mine for a while it was perfect. I finally got sick of the underlying touchwiz and I installed CM11 and I put in the Google Now Launcher. Pretty much the N5 with a bigger battery and bigger screen.

Looks like the Note 3, might still be the better phone over the upcoming S5 :rolleyes:

Galaxy S5 variants get benchmarked;
http://www.sammobile.com/2014/02/08...benchmarked-on-antutu-sm-g900h-and-sm-g900r4/

Some rumored leaked benchmarks released, show the S5 to be just on par or even less performing than the current Note 3. It is rumored to just use the old Snapdragon 800, that has been in Android phones since last year, not the new 805, which isn't ready for prime time until May or June.

The 1440p is said to be the deal breaker, it hurts performance and also reported to effect battery life.

So end of the day, the S5 might have the best looking screen ever, highest res, greatest detail, etc... But who cares, if it's going to be hog on the device, making performance no better than Note 3, and battery life that is average, not bad, but not great,and nowhere near that of the N3's battery life. This is all speculation of course, but maybe hardware isn't 1440p ready yet, without sacrifices ?

cyanogenmod is making more 1 step installers, but its not available for all phones. I think there are still some apps you need to download from the playstore to prepare your phone first.

I hope the Note 3 keeps the overall footprint of the Note 2.I almost bought a Note 3 but decided to hold out at least for the GS4. The price point was kind of discouraging too.

Are you a year behind the rest of the world?

It doesnt make sense even if it were posted a year ago, S4 was out ages before the Note 3.

http://beta.download.cyanogenmod.org/install

Is installing a custom ROM really this easy? I've been thinking about getting rid of TouchWiz altogether but wasn't sure if it can be done on the Verizon Note 3 yet.

http://download.cyanogenmod.org/

...I don't see Note 3 ROMs anywhere on this page even though it was supposedly released last month.

Unless you've got a developer edition, you can't install Cyanogenmod (or any other AOSP based ROM)

You'll have to use safestrap and only touchwiz based roms.

I see.

So I just realized I have a big problem with my Verizon Note 3. It turns out that one of the newer firmware updates cripples tethering apps, so my SVTP is now useless. I heard reports of FoxFi working, but it's not doing anything for me.

Is my only option root?

I see.

So I just realized I have a big problem with my Verizon Note 3. It turns out that one of the newer firmware updates cripples tethering apps, so my SVTP is now useless. I heard reports of FoxFi working, but it's not doing anything for me.

Is my only option root?

Hmm, do you not use the native tethering app? Does that work?

Probably, but I'd have to pay Verizon for hotspot privileges, which I don't want to do.

Hmm, do you not use the native tethering app? Does that work?

My guess is that using the native tethering app will force him to pay Verizon some obscenely expensive add on fee.

I am thinking of upgrading from my S4, which gets middle of the road battery life, like 4.5h On Screen time. I am looking for something that gets 6h On Screen time minimum. I am thinking either the Note 3 or One M8. I want better battery life #1, and a good screen for outdoor use #2, and just an overall speedier / faster phone. Which phone gives better battery life ? A rooted and ROM'd new One M8 ? Or a ROM'd Note 3 ?

But I am disappointed with the U.S. carriers + Samsung for being Nazis and locking this Note 3 down so tight, that sucks to see. I have my S4 rooted, with all the good tweaks that come with rooting, like removing all the garbage bloatware, and apps like AdAway, Greenify, etc... And Wanam Xposed.

Thank you.

P.S. I played with an S5 at the store, and really liked the revised looking Touchwiz, looks much much better flat now, and the Phone and Contacts apps seemed way faster, and just different in a good way, compared to my S4. Would love to see the Note 3 with the S5 .apk's.

I been looking for news on the Note 4. Anyone know when it's coming out yet?

I'm up for a new phone in June from VZ. I like the larger screen of the Note3 and One Max, but want the fastest thing I can get for future-proofing.

Now I'm torn between the GS5, OneM8, Note3, and still like the large size of the One Max. I am strongly considering just waiting for the Note4 later this year, but have yet to find any concrete info on when it's coming out.

BTW, I'm on a Razr Maxx now. Love the battery life, and not too many issues with it so far - I mostly just want a bigger screen and faster processing for games etc.

I been looking for news on the Note 4. Anyone know when it's coming out yet?

I'm up for a new phone in June from VZ. I like the larger screen of the Note3 and One Max, but want the fastest thing I can get for future-proofing.

Now I'm torn between the GS5, OneM8, Note3, and still like the large size of the One Max. I am strongly considering just waiting for the Note4 later this year, but have yet to find any concrete info on when it's coming out.

BTW, I'm on a Razr Maxx now. Love the battery life, and not too many issues with it so far - I mostly just want a bigger screen and faster processing for games etc.

Note phones come out in Q4, so you'll be waiting a while.

Anything with the S801 (S5, One M8) is going to be about as future proofed as you can get for the time being. The S800 phones (Note 3, G2, Nexus 5) aren't too far behind either, so I would just handle the phones yourself and see what you prefer.

Note 4 will probably be out in October, thats just my opinion though. There are no concrete facts, just speculation and rumors on what the hardware will be or new features. I still love my N3 though so I can wait.

Qualcomm has announced the 808/810 SoC's which won't be in phones till 2015, its likely the S6 will be 808, 805 at the very least. The LG G3 will be out around same time (Q4 2014) as Note 4 and most likely will be at least 5.5". Lots of good choices.

Yeah, I'd say there's about a 75% chance of me going with the N3 in June... unless specs for the N4 are announced before then and look so amazing they're worth waiting another few months. I really like my Razr Maxx enough that I might be ok with waiting longer.

Yeah, I'd say there's about a 75% chance of me going with the N3 in June... unless specs for the N4 are announced before then and look so amazing they're worth waiting another few months. I really like my Razr Maxx enough that I might be ok with waiting longer.

I'm going to assume it will include a 805 chip, 3GB of RAM, and a 1440p screen, plus the additions from the S5

One more question for the N3 users here: can the Note3 use 128gb micro-SD cards? I've been seeing conflicting info on this - do they have full functionality or are there problems using that size? I'm not planning on rooting or any major modding, just stock config. But I'd love to have that extra space for tons of music and video-recording storage.

I think I'm about to go ahead and pull the trigger on the N3, and just switch to the new VZW Edge plan so I can get the Note4 this time next year.

One more question for the N3 users here: can the Note3 use 128gb micro-SD cards? I've been seeing conflicting info on this - do they have full functionality or are there problems using that size? I'm not planning on rooting or any major modding, just stock config. But I'd love to have that extra space for tons of music and video-recording storage.

I think I'm about to go ahead and pull the trigger on the N3, and just switch to the new VZW Edge plan so I can get the Note4 this time next year.

Don't see why it wouldn't support it. A 128GB card works just the same as a 64GB card. If the specs only mention up to 64GB cards supported, it's because nothing larger was offered at that time. I remember back in the OG Droid days, the specs only said it supported up to 16GBs, I think, but people were able to put 32 or 64GB cards in them with no issue.

I have no problems with my 64gb card.

Speaking of WIFI tethering. FoxFi managed to get it working with Jelly Bean 4.3 without root. Can confirm it's working great with Verizon Note 3. Great if they can get it working with Kit Kat 4.4.

Speaking of WIFI tethering. FoxFi managed to get it working with Jelly Bean 4.3 without root. Can confirm it's working great with Verizon Note 3. Great if they can get it working with Kit Kat 4.4.

Is the Verizon Note 3 not on 4.4 yet?

Back